[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the first game praised so much when Tooie is so much fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
Why is the first game praised so much when Tooie is so much fucking better? This game shits on every platformer from that era, including SM64.
>>
>>321064917
hope you like backtracking, a shitty framerate and an incomplete 90 jiggies.
>>
>muh consise world

Tooie was so much better, I played Tooie first and Kazooie felt like a beta of the sequel

Both are solid games tho
>>
It's interesting how much it fixed.
>Collectables are greatly diminished
>Things you do collect, now come in bunches rather than individual pieces, so you're actually doing less collecting
>Levels are now joined together and progression is non-linear
>Every single power from the first game is brought over and included from the start. You learn nothing but new powers and abilities, and it's explained in world by being taught by a new NPC.
>More worlds in general, with more variety.
>Better graphics
>Smarter challenges that make better use of abilities

It's really an impressive game.
>>
Finally somebody else gets it. The greatest game ever made if you ask me.
>>
its great but some fo the shit it stupid and too padded, like mumbo. he is virtually pointless since all he does is go to a pad and press a button
>>
I like tooie more but the first is tighter.
The second game does indeed have higher highs but it also has lower lows.
Also nostalgia, lots of later n64 games are forgotten because of the Dreamcast and PS2.
>>
>>321065482
I recall he was pretty gimped so getting to or finding the pad was a puzzle.
>>
Tooie is a terrible game though. It's the best example of a bad sequel, being bigger but not better, and everything wrong with platformers during that era.

The worlds are bigger but they're all barren wastelands with hardly any obstacles or enemies. There's more moves but they're mostly all context-sensitive shit like hatch. The game looks muddy and drab compared to Kazooie and runs at an even worse framerate. There's no platforming or real level design so they just pad out every jiggy with bad minigames where you shoot or collect red, green and blue things.

The Mumbo sections alone perfectly show why this game is shit, literally the only thing he can do is use pads with his face on them. His jump is slightly gimped, but not enough that there's a challenge or puzzle to getting him where he needs to be, you just do it and then take him back to his house to park him in his chair. There's no "how am I gonna do this" it's just another mindless process you have to go through like everything else in the game.
>>
>>321065939
How can one person have such terrible taste? I bet you're lapping up Super Mario Maker right now.
>>
>>321065939

>Tooie is a terrible game though. It's the best example of a bad sequel,

This is a terrible post though. It's the best example of a fucking horrible taste holy shit how can one man be such a faggot
>>
>>321064917
I think the main reason I enjoyed Tooie less, despite all the improvements, was the increase in collectables that you had to win in gameplay-changing minigames like the kickball tournaments and FPS segments (Kazooie might not have had anything like that at all, I can't remember too well).
I can't tell you how much I dread playing this game when I think about the Glitter Gulch Mine dynamite segment or the fucking Witchyworld starship ride.
>>
>>321066049
>>321066162

Yeah, you know that I'm 100% right so you just insult me because you can't articulate an argument.
>>
>>321065270
>Every single power from the first game is brought over and included from the start
Why would you lie on the internet?
>>
>>321066563
But that's true

What powers from Kazooie did not carry over?
>>
>>321066621
I think they replaced Banjo's claw swipe attack with something else.
>>
>>321066621
Banjo's bear claw attack.
>>
>>321066401
This 100%. It's a good game if you haven't played it in years, but its replay value is very slim. Some of the jiggies are near fucking impossible to get and the game is just too tedious. Took me 2 weeks of straight playing to finally beat the game.
>>
>>321066474
im not those faggots but it's no a bad sequel, however it did alot of things right improving upon Kazooie while falling short on others.

To name a few
>good
>connected worlds
>all moves unlocked from kazooie to learn more moves
>bigger worlds to explore(more variety)

>bad
>mumbo was a fucking chore to do
>backtracking was inevitable
>framerate issues

I played tooie first than kazooie, so nostalgias a factor in my preference, but I do recognized its flaws
>>
>>321066761
>>321066763
Fair enough, but that's not really something that didn't carry over, it just immediately got replaced by something more effective. You still had the same ability to do an attack while standing, so it didn't go away, and you didn't have to relearn it.
>>
>>321064917

So jarring to hear Banjo with a deeper voice in this game when I first started. No one ever brings it up.
>>
>>321065939
THIS the game sucked compared to its predecessor
>>
>>321065270

>Collectables are greatly diminished
>a plus

I'll never understand why people hate collectables in a collectathon. It just made the worlds feel even more empty. In Kazooie there was just the right amount of notes for each level (except Click Clock Wood), but in Tooie, where the level are even bigger, they reduced the amount of notes to 17.
>>
>>321064917
Personally i feel it became too open, ontop of the massive amount of back tracking, it was basically DK64 lite when it came to collectathons. Outside of that nitpick the game was perfect and improved upon just about everything else. Moves were better, transformations meant more, splitting banjo/kazooie and even throwing in mumbo wasnt as bad as i initially thought it would be, and the final battle was perfect.
>>
>>321065939
This sums up my feelings when I replayed Tooie about a year ago. The game had a serious lack of any actual platforming. Most of the jiggies involved running back and forth across huge empty landscapes. Tooie quite honestly felt like a chore to play.

Also, most of the new abilities were just gimmicks that were only used in a few specific instances.

Unless you judge games by the number of hours it takes to complete, Kazooie was a much better designed game.
>>
>>321065939

Man, you really hurt some people's feelings with this post. I actually like Tooie, but I agree with this.
>>
>>321064917
Tooie is not better than Kazooie, it may seem that way in hindsight but the ugly truth rears its head upon replays. Tooie is a fucking massive game that expands upon it's predecessor in nearly every way, unfortunately, this leads to bloat in some areas which is an overall detriment to the game. The worlds are all massive and interconnected which leads to some incredibly frustrating cross-level jiggies that are too much work for too little reward. This also opens up scenarios where certain jiggies are locked behind future moves and abilities which leads to backtracking later in the game. That's not to mention all the shitty game-changing mini games you need to do in order to get jiggies. Sure, there were mini games in Kazooie but you still controlled Banjo the same way you do the rest of the game. Also, there are hardly any jiggies just hanging out in the open for you to find, a vast majority of jiggies are received doing stupid errands for NPCs which typically involves getting some item from somewhere and bringing it back to them. There's so much wrong with Banjo-Tooie it's hard to sum it up off the top of my head.
>>
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-microsoft-rare-sora-ltd-put-banjo-kazooie-in-super-smash-bros-for-3ds-and-wii-u-as-a-dlc-character
>>
>>321069846
100% agree.
>>
>>321069976
100% samefag
>>
>>321069976
>>321070118
nah
>>
>>321070118
100% faggot
>>
I really loved how all the worlds connected in Tooie. Kazooie just felt too easy and you could pretty much grab any Jiggy within 5 minutes of seeing it, sometimes in Tooie you had to go through multiple worlds before reaching a jiggy you saw earlier.
>>
>>321070557
That's pretty much why it sucks though. Jiggies themselves aren't progression, they're a fraction of progression. You shouldn't need to spend a half hour to get one fraction of your progression.
>>
>>321069846
>>321070118
hes right tho. i like tooie but its just not as good as kazooie because of tyhat shit.
>>
>shit framerate (default something like 15~20 fps, inconsistent at that)
>clusterfuck level design
>overuse of fucking pads and character switching that just drags out the game and is unfun

bk is a decent game, bt is an ambitious mess and while the first game was whimsical tooie approaches jak ii levels of edge
>>
File: 1403767075012.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1403767075012.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>mfw people talk shit about Tooie
>>
I would love Tooie as much as Kazooie if it didn't take forever to get everywhere.
The worlds are way too big.
>>
>>321064917
Tooie is pretty great, but Kazooie is still a lot better.

The ideas it tried to use were great but implemented very poorly.

The worlds are far too large and seem extremely empty compared to the worlds in Kazooie. Their inter-connected worlds are pretty worthless too. Not to mention the extreme backtracking and a lot of moves you learn literally only have a specific use in a single level.

Grunty's Industry alone brings the game down.
>>
>>321066761
>>321066763

only because nobody ever used it. It was just replaced with the rat-a-tat rap and the fire breath
>>
>>321072440
>>>/a/
>>
>>321067203
I hated it. For about three minutes, and now he sounds weird in kazooie to me
>>
>>321068992
It's called too much of a good thing.
>>
>>321064917
Both games are great, but tooie has you back track way too much
>>
>>321064917
tooie was just too sloppy, music was good though
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.