[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucking loved these game as a kid I played underground one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (19 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19 KB, 225x224
I fucking loved these game as a kid
I played underground one first,
THUG2 was played after my bro did the switch with THUG1 disc when renting it from blockbuster

played pro skater 4, american wasteland and thankfully dodged buying anything after that

>shrek

Is it nostalgia that keeps me loving these games or do you guys think these games have real merit?
>>
>>321036851
>Is it nostalgia that keeps me loving these games or do you guys think these games have real merit?

No, for what they were they were great. It was around the time GTA:SA came out with its kick ass soundtrack, while THUG 2's soundtrack was just as GOAT. That was great to be alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnzzMZWsx9w
>>
>>321037268
Started listening to the soundtrack just now, this is the shit man.

I still kind of wonder, I never liked skating all that much and I still enjoyed the shit out of these games.

Why is that? What is it about these games that kept me invested while the EA skate games could barely get me to put more than 2 hours in?
>>
>>321037268
> tfw that was a good year and another one probably won't happen in your lifespan.
Name 1 good thing that came out this year, it was choke full of disappointment
> evolve
> star wars episode 7
> all these early access cashgrabs
> not a single good rts
>>
>THUG actually put an exciting new spin on the series
>THUG2 shit all over it
>>
>>321037593

They knew who they were shooting for. Young bored who just wanted to get up and go, even if they didn't skate, hence the silly missions, the laid back tone of the game, and hence the pumped up ost. When I was a kid I would just ride around with my bike by myself like a retard, just for the hell of it, and when I could go out I would just play this shit for hours.

Here have some Rancid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQUmpQi7Oo&index=33&list=PLm8kAKw8f2-uy5V8uE2nTyI0-7gwORqyY
>>
>>321036851
I bought this game for my friend as his Christmas gift along side MK: Deception and Genesis - Duke, its the only thing game he doesn't own.
>>
>>321037593
I think it's the attitude behind them. THPS is rebellious but in a fun and over the top way while Skate is more reminiscent of current pop culture where everything feels kind of douchey.
>>
>>321038543
>thing
Auto correct, I meant TH
>>
>>321038186

Didn't say that particular year, but that whole generation of gaming, 6th. And its not nostalgia I was still somewhat of a kid when the 7th generation came out, and I was very disappointed.
>>
Is Skateboarding just a thing for young people? I see it's accepted for older people to snowboard and roller skate but why is skateboarding looked at as something for teenagers?
>>
>>321036851

I've been playing this shit online since 2004, and the community is still active. There's THUGPro now, that incorporates most levels from THPS3, all levels from THPS4-THUG2 and some levels from THAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qDICRJpRl8
>>
>>321038591
Yeah man, I think I could still play THPS a few years from now and it would feel a bit old but relevant

But with Skate 3 even when it first came out
I bought it right away hoping for something like THPS

It felt kinda cringy, the same feeling you get when a tv show or movie tries to force a reference to the internet
>>
>>321038186
>star wars episode 7
Let's be honest, it's a small miracle this wasn't a steaming pile of shit. I'd say it turned out pretty well. considering the unreal hype.
>>
File: RIP Neversoft.jpg (406 KB, 1529x2048) Image search: [Google]
RIP Neversoft.jpg
406 KB, 1529x2048
>>321036851
No most of them are pretty good purely as games. It's a fun series of arcade style games with great music, style and gameplay. For awhile there it was one of those rare series like Ratchet and Clank that got better and improved the core mechanics more and more with each iteration. Sadly it got bloated around THUG2 and when Skate stole it's thunder it just sort of lost it's identity, and now all we're left with is the mess that is THPS5. When Neversoft died this series died with it.
>>
>>321038835
Skateboarding largely existed as a rebellion, similar to getting a tattoo to piss off your parents

it therefore struck a cord with teens and has continued to draw them to it because a skater is synonymous with punks/stoners and that crowd

Adults get into it at times but are usually only involved because they skated as teens

Skating is also for some reason seen are far more dangerous than rollerskating or snowboarding
>>
>>321038835
I think it's because you're more likely to get hurt skating. Falling down and fucking yourself up is fine as a teen but when you're in your thirties it's not as easy to walk off.
>>
I really disliked THUG2's story mode progression style of everything being glorified hide n seek.

Shame they had to fuck it up since THUG1 was perfect for that style of game, but at least Classic mode was there as a fallback.
>>
>>321039047
THPS5 is a very sad story, they game exists merely because Activision had a contract that allowed them to keep their grubby hands on the Tony Hawk IP until 2015 and so they out-sourced their half-baked game to a baby developer and then rushed the shit out of them to get the game done for one finally business executive cash grab.

They allowed the game to go out into the world unfinished to be universally panned for some money.

Feels bad man
>>
Man, I remember hearing this on some stage at night while trying to complete tasks. Went along with the skating and tricks and shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEP34Udw-mk
>>
>>321039546
That sucks.
You sound like you work for that baby dev team anon.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.