[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: games with excellent magic/power systems pictured: Arx
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: arx.jpg (97 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
arx.jpg
97 KB, 800x600
ITT: games with excellent magic/power systems

pictured: Arx Fatalis and it's magic system where you draw magic symbols/runes to cast spells
>>
File: mb_allomantic_webres.jpg (497 KB, 1440x1152) Image search: [Google]
mb_allomantic_webres.jpg
497 KB, 1440x1152
>tfw the game is vaporware
>>
I wouldn't care Arx's magic excellent. Unique? Yeah. Adding in things like cooking chickens/meat with firespells and other things like that was a nice touch. Also letting you store up 3 spells helps.
>>
>Playing mage in Dragon's Dogma
>Bandit on top of old ruins
>Whilst climbing to his level, cast thunder bolt and stun him
>Reach him and use force push
>He falls to his death.

That simple moment felt so fucking good.

Anyway, Dragon's Dogma.
>>
>>321022243
I remember dragon's dogma having some insane spells, such as a FUCKING LIGHTNING WHIP as a mage and giant ice punches as a sorcerer. great game.
>>
File: Lost Magic Runes.png (36 KB, 784x550) Image search: [Google]
Lost Magic Runes.png
36 KB, 784x550
>>321021882
>>
>>321022930
yeaaahh boy
>>
>>321022081
It's a clunky old game for sure, but some people enjoy games that have more difficulty and depth to their magic system than press x to fireball with no utility or non-combat abilities.
>>
>>321021882
I really enjoyed Arx though Dark Messiah was a better game, it could have stood to have more of the magic from Arx in it though. That said Dark Messiah had solid design on things like ice making floor slippery so people could slip off cliffs and what not. The rope bow, etc.
>>
>>321023138
I do like how you could do things like switch from fire to ice/slow to haste/life to death just by inverting the first symbol
>>
>>321023245

lol
awesome opinion man

trole level i rate u 8/bait lets go out on a date mate
>>
File: 1437895248766.jpg (50 KB, 407x386) Image search: [Google]
1437895248766.jpg
50 KB, 407x386
>>321023580
>>
>>321021882
Tried to play this 3 days ago, the controls are so damn clunky and looting is a nightmare. Shame, seemed promising.

Mistborn has a game, what? I still need to finish the 3rd book of the first trilogy.
>>
Anyone like the magic system in Grimrock 2?
>>
File: 2j0jqjp.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2j0jqjp.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>321021882
If you like Arx Fatalis you should try The Void. It has the same glyph drawing system.

The Void is fucking hard as shit, though, fair warning. The same resource you use to draw glyphs with is also your health, means of attack, stat building resource, travel ticket, and way forward (you have to dump it in large quantities on the 'sisters' to progress in the game). It also makes the game harder, as whatever color you use is absorbed by the world and used back against you- like gold is used to progress faster with the sisters, but it'll also make the bad guys move faster to block you.
>>
>>321021882
Two weeks ago when i started learning Japanese i thought it would be cool if Arx runes were actually kana symbols so i could learn them while playing vidya. Then again Arx runes only used a single stroke.
>>
>Treasure of the Rudra has a magic system where you create spells by naming them
>if you understood the system you could have nukes right away
Too bad the game was shit
>>
>>321025179
It's a bretty good concept with drawing on the grid to cast spells. You do start to feel like a wizard as you memorize the simple little combinations and what they do and execute them on the fly.

In practice though the magic in grimrock fucking sucks. There's next to no spells, and some trees are ridiculously more powerful then others. For instance specializing in only water magic gives you all of two fucking spells because the others require proficiency in the other schools for some reason. On the other hand specializing in air magic requires nothing but itself (and concentration, which every wizard would take), giving you the full range. Fire magic is far more powerful then earth magic, which everything is resistant/immune to, and also fire magic arbitrarily has by far the best spell in the game. It's all random and unbalanced as hell, which is alright for metagaming or 'realism' I guess, but a real kick in the balls for someone who wants to go in blind and gets castrated for not rolling the dice correctly.
>>
>>321026693
I remember naming a spell after myself and had it cost a huge amounts of MP and did amazing damage.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.