[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Protagonist Gender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: q.png (299 KB, 367x433) Image search: [Google]
q.png
299 KB, 367x433
Does gender actually matter for vidya characters?

I don't believe it does. The characteristics of pretty much any character can be shared among any male, female, ayylmao, demon, whatever-kin character.

What's the real difference between Samus and Master Chief?

What's the real difference between Lightning and any male Fire Emblem protag who's a bit emo because their sister got kidnapped?

I think the only time gender may even comes close to mattering is specific situations that fit a particular gender over another. An example would be Samus's relationship with the baby Metroid might have had more impact on the gamer because she was female; I've also heard that Master Chief eventually develops feelings for Cortana, which no one thinks is that weird since she's feminine.

What do you guys think?
>>
What would Lightning's tummy feel like?
>>
>>321008907
Yes it does. It changes the dynamic of the character and how he/she is written with expected gender roles deeply rooted in your conscience. A girl coming of age story is highly different than a boy coming of age story.

This is apparent in the Atelier games.
>>
No, just make the game fun with interesting characters and don't make it a fucking controversy that will end up in the front page of New York Times or some shit
>>
>>321008907
I definitely think there's a difference, but that's what happens when there are two different genders. I think it'd be even worse if they were the same.
>>
>>321009123
But those are highly specific situations that only are represented that way because society thinks a boy's coming of age tale should be different from a girls, so this a very generic idea. There could certainly be girl and guys who have similar coming of age events in their lives. What changes these events would be who they are, not necessarily what their gender is.

>>321009470
Do mean if MC and Cortana were of the same sex? Or do you mean if games only included monogendered species?
>>
>>321008907
>male
>tough, introverted, take charge attitude, doesn't crack easily, has trouble connecting with people
What a badass
>female
>tough, introverted, take charge attitude, doesn't crack easily, has trouble connecting with people
Wow, what a bitch
Females will always gt the shaft in media. And I am okay with that
>>
>>321009763
>>female
>>tough, introverted, take charge attitude, doesn't crack easily, has trouble connecting with people
muh dick
>>
>>321009763
>>tough, introverted, take charge attitude, doesn't crack easily, has trouble connecting with people
>And is written in a way to make sure those facts are shoehorned in
The "badasses" sometimes have moments of softness and humanity, to bring it down a notch in (usually) crappy "relateable" ways.

The women written like this are just hardened all the fucking time and their dialogue is usually made to remind you just how no nonsense they are. It comes off as literally trying too hard, and thus why people write them off as cunts.
>>
>>321010336
Lightning is literally a mother figure for Hope and she's still remembered as a bitch. Just admit that sexism is pretty much rampant in everything.
>>
>>321010680
I'm not much into final fantasy so I don't really know too much how the fans remember her. That's just how I've seen other "tough" chicks.

>Just admit that sexism is pretty much rampant in everything
Well no shit it is because it's hard wired into our minds as a species that men have been the doers. That's how nature has been for the longest time now. A couple decades of being fed up isn't going to change too much right off the bat.
>>
>>321008907
samus was one of the only female mc done right at least before it left snes and lightning is the reason females shouldnt even be bothered with today
>>
I'd like to say gender doesn't matter, but it does. Not because of the story but players expectations and stereotypes.

You can have a female who is the strongest, most well developed character in her game. But then most players will see her as 'unrealistic'. Men because she isn't a hulking, muscle clad man. And women because she's too outgoing and forceful for a 'girl'.

This is really why men are used 90% of the time as the protagonist of a game. because men can self insert themselves as a male hero and women like controlling and watching a man do stuff. Its the secret of the success of series like Legend of Zelda. And why the idea of female Link is the dumbest thing ever.
>>
>>321010680
Lightning literally wants to sleep with Hope and she's still remembered as a bitch. Just admit that ageism is pretty much rampant in everything.
>>
File: cute owl.jpg (181 KB, 1000x823) Image search: [Google]
cute owl.jpg
181 KB, 1000x823
it's honestly not that big of a deal. plenty of older games featured female protagonists and faded into obscurity, recently with 3rd wave feminism on the rise they're just scrutinized and deconstructed more.
>>
>>321012309
Headcanon isn't real canon, dipshit
>>
>>321009763
>male
>not tough, doesn't have a take charge attitude, cracks more easily
What a loser. He deserves to be ridiculed and spit on.

>female
>not tough, doesn't have a take charge attitude, cracks more easily
She is suffering and should be protected.

Both sexes get the shaft.
>>
>>321012610
>Claire canon ends up going out to find Hope in her new world
i'm sure it's because she has no interest in having light-pink haired children.

don't be so angry that your waifu wants a young man's dick instead of yours, it's not your fault.
>>
>>321008907
If FF13 didn't profit from the 'muh waifu' culture the game would have bombed hard. The female characters saved the game.
>>
>>321013079
There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking female characters.
>>
File: confused anime girl3.png (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
confused anime girl3.png
30 KB, 300x300
what is an example of a genuinely likeable female protagonist? what traits does she need to have to appease your tastes?
>>
File: 1150656186581.jpg (42 KB, 325x390) Image search: [Google]
1150656186581.jpg
42 KB, 325x390
>>321013637

>what is an example of a genuinely likeable female protagonist?

Celes
Chris Lightfellow
Reisz

The problem is, in all these games, you can say the female isn't the canon lead. Despite them getting the most story focus and best development.

>what traits does she need to have to appease your tastes?
Basically the same thing that makes me like a male protagonist. A likable personality and a story that develops them well. As with all things, that's entirely subjective.

I'm of the opinion that a good female protagonist should just be written the same way you would write a good male protagonist. And can be interchangeable with the male. Because if you're gonna start focusing on sexuality or feminine attributes attached to their character, then that becomes the focus. Not their actions, choices and relation to the story.
>>
>>321012989
That guy traveled across the world to find Dr. Livingston, bruh. Doesn't mean he wanted to fuck him.
>>
>>321014243
>I'm of the opinion that a good female protagonist should just be written the same way you would write a good male protagonist. And can be interchangeable with the male. Because if you're gonna start focusing on sexuality or feminine attributes attached to their character, then that becomes the focus. Not their actions, choices and relation to the story.

I agree with this, but SJW game critics don't. They call this "a man with boobs".
>>
if it is part of the creator's original vision, then yes, gender does matter

self-insert/build-a-character games are different

gender always fucking matters no matter what anyone says
>>
TOBLEROOOOOOOONE
>>
File: XIII Bad_End.webm (908 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
XIII Bad_End.webm
908 KB, 1280x720
>>321015147
I came here to post this, but you beat me to it.
>>
>>321015478
i heard a crunch when it snapped in half
now im hungry
>>
File: 1444778373589.jpg (990 KB, 754x1655) Image search: [Google]
1444778373589.jpg
990 KB, 754x1655
>>321015021

Which is why most sane people ignore those extreme groups.

But most developers aren't ignoring female protagonists because of those extremists. If anything, we're seeing more female and homosexual characters in gaming because of those loud minority groups.

These developers just don't do it correctly. Its pretty sad how Japan in the 80s and 90s had better female characters than the 'progressive' west does today.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.