[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't this have "The Lord of the Rings" name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Why didn't this have "The Lord of the Rings" name attached to it?

It's just "Middle-Earth."
>>
Because Tolkien Jr complained and they changed it
>>
>>320994718
Because the story is not Lord of the Rings, that's the official explanation.
The real reason is that Christopher Tolkien forbid them from using LotR brand for this.
>>
Licensing is expensive.

>>320994926
Nigga's dead, yo.
>>
>>320994965
he probably threw up in his mouth a little after hearing what they did with the story
>>
>>320995006
His youngest son is still alive
>>
>>320995006
>i'm too dumb to read
Tolkien Jr
Not Tolkien Sr
>>
>>320994718
the game is shit so no wonder.
>>
>>320995096
Excellent gameplay tho. Except for the boss battle that I completely forgot about until now
>>
>>320995096
I'm sure he did, I honestly wonder who hates the Hollywood LotR/Hobbit/Middle Earth material more.
Core Tolkien book fans or Christopher himself.
Pretty sure both camps generate enough hate that if we had machines powered up by negativity we'd sustain the entire planet on it.
>>
>>320995096
He approved Jackson throwing an OC donut steel action grrl elf into his artificially-long Hobbit movies, which bore the name of a canon Middle Earth book, so he has zero room to start puking now
>>
>>320995006
>licensing is expensive

It's still a LOTR game set in the Tolkien universe. It just doesn't use the name. It's not unlicensed knock off starring GANDORF instead of Gandalf.
>>
>>320996109
Tauriel wasn't that bad. I don't get the hate. There's plenty wrong with the movies, but her action scenes were some of the highlights. The love triangle I guess was bad, but that's not specifically the character's fault. I'm all for more sexy, fighting evangeline lilly
>>
>>320995372
What about the Bright Lord Battle? The Hammer Boss fight?
>>
File: shadow of mordor.webm (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
shadow of mordor.webm
3 MB, 600x338
>>320995372
>>
>>320996109
He didn't though.
He has no fucking say in Hobbit and LotR because he doesn't own the license to the adaptations, that's the entire problem.
Hollywood earns adaptation rights to Hobbit and LotR but ONLY those things.
They can't use anything that's not in those books.
They can't use Silmarilion.
They can't use Children of Hurin.
They can't use Unfinished Tales.
They can't use History of Middle Earth and so on and so forth.
The reason he had a say this time around is because this game decided to tread a very thin grey line between what they could and couldn't do.
They decided to use material from the APPENDICES in LotR and construct an entire fucking game around it.
They couldn't make it a straight up adaptation of Silmarilion material as that would be theft of property which they don't own, but they could make OC story bullshit built around the little info in the appendices.
And so they did.
But since it was said grey barely legal line, Tolkien Estate had the right to threaten them enough not to use the popular name under the threat of lawsuit regarding theft of Silmarilion material.
>>
>>320996548
Isn't it a shameless AC/Arkham game ripoff? I thought they were pretty upfront with that. It may not be original but I'm up for some action dicking around in Middle-Earth. I enjoyed War in the North for what it was.
>>
>>320995372
When Sauron and Saruman merge to become Sauronman?
>>
>>320996689
The revenge system for midbosses and elites was cool, the combat is pretty fun and full of Orc shit-talking, and it looks nice if you have a beefy GPU, but the last boss really is as terrible as everyone says

You can get the entire game with all the DLC for less than $15, so it's in the realm of "probably worth it"
>>
>>320996913
I already bought it. GOTY for $9 on GMG. So even it's not great I won't be too upset.
>>
>>320996548
>all those orcs that die from tripping over themselves
>the one that throws himself off the ledge near the end
wat
>>
>>320996913
Yep
The Nemesis system at its best is fucking awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q3ng5FXscg&list=PLRFpEtUmYzVIVPCavY3fuvTv6XY44sNAD&index=1
>>
>>320995405
Christopher, pretty sure.
As a big Tolkien-fan I actually do like the original trilogy.
Yet Christopher even hates that with a passion.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.