[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into Shoot em Ups? I tried Ikaruga today and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: Ikaruga_cover_DC.jpg (36 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
Ikaruga_cover_DC.jpg
36 KB, 299x300
How do I get into Shoot em Ups?

I tried Ikaruga today and I don't see me ever getting good at this. Like what the fuck is even going on the screen?

Has anyone tips for beginners how to git gud?
>>
Don't get hit by the bullets.
>>
Polarity, son.
>>
>>320991586
Shit advise for Ikaruga
>>
Is Ikaruga even a good place to start? It was the first game that came to my mind when I thought about shoot em ups so I started with that.
>>
File: crs06.png (38 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
crs06.png
38 KB, 512x512
>>320991506
>starting with ikaruga

Wow. Like wow. Wow Anon. No. Don't.

Start with Cho Ren Sha 68k. A classic entry point.

Or Crimzon Clover on babby difficulty, ramp up when you feel ready.
>>
>>320991850
It's alright, anything goes as long as it's fun. Just don't try playing for score on your first go.
>>
File: shmupmame.png (314 KB, 836x740) Image search: [Google]
shmupmame.png
314 KB, 836x740
I've not played ikaruga yet, but this applies to shmups in general

focus your eyes about an inch or so above your ship

learn not to just dodge bullets that are near you, but to see where there will be openings. similar to chess where you do best if you can think a few turns ahead, you should try and see spots where it'll be safe to move to in the coming seconds

keep practicing, and play a variety of games to find what you like

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nz0227tzb9zor/shmupmame

collection of roms and mame
>>
Ikaruga isn't a good starting point. Assuming you're playing on the Steam version, I would have went with Mushihimesama instead. Maybe Crimzon Clover too but I keep forgetting to get around to playing it.
>>
>>320992059
>Tetris
>shmup
>>
Try Raiden 2. That's entry level.
>>
>>320992457
I think that was included because it could benefit from the fixed input lag from shmupmame

nice job focusing on that one game though
>>
>>320992161
I'd say Crimzon Clover is actually a better start than Mushihimesama. It's got a good easy mode for beginners.
>>
>>320992161
Thanks for the recommendation.

Just checked out Mushihimesama on youtube and what the fuck is this lmao. Reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/jCKVD9578eQ?t=13

I will check it out.
>>
>>320991586

Hshaha. Fucking retard.
>>
>>320992841
Thanks mate.
>>
>>320992883
Mushi has a perfectly good novice mode as well, and I personally like it better because it's got tighter movement.
>>
I can't emulate Espgaluda, DDP Daifukkatsu, Ibara or Mushihimesama on MAME, because they run like shit. Am I supposed to have a super powerful PC to run these? Is there any version of MAME I should be using? I'm just using MameUI32.
>>
>>320993306
Just get the PC version of Mushi,. And yes, you need a fairly decent CPU to emulate in general, and MAME is not the exception.
>>
>>320993559
Does MAME have problems emulating these games? I can run other stuff fine on it, and I can play DDP, ESP Ra.De. and Progear just fine on FBA.
>>
>>320993965
They're more recent games, which means they're more demanding. I can run those games fullspeed, but I have an i5 2500k, and FBA is significantly less demanding than MAME (but also less accurate).
>>
>>320994096
Well, shucks. Guess I'll have to pray that FBA supports them in the future. Thanks anyway.
>>
File: M.jpg (1 MB, 2285x1714) Image search: [Google]
M.jpg
1 MB, 2285x1714
>>320991506
Gradius, R-Type, or Raiden, are probably easier entries. Ikaruga is fun if you like going for high scores though.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.