[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arkham Asylum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
This is the only good "Arkham" game.

>Amazing atmosphere
>Linear/"Metroidvania" design is much better than an open-world
>Story is generic but coherent
>Scarecrow sections
>Riddler stuff is a mix of Metroid-style hiding spots and actual riddles, not stupid gadget puzzles
>Cartoony, comic-book art style for all the menus and HUD is better than the generic computer shit in every other game

City is where things started to go really wrong, and Knight is a fucking disaster.
Origins may be a cheap cash-in, but it had some great boss fights and I actually love the snowy settings a ton. It's no surprise their DLC for Arkham Knight is the best.
>>
Asylum had the better atmosphere and story but City perfected the gameplay and bosses.
>>
>>320986367
it really says something that you don't mention the boss "fights" in Asylum
>>
>>320986367
I enjoyed Origins quite a lot more than City and Knight tbqh family. I agree Asylum was the strongest, but can't say Origins wasn't good.
>>
>>320986565

True.

I guess the problem I have with City is that freeflow combat is already very easy and sort of boring. Any "improvements" are nice, but it's not what makes the games good. Only predator stuff, atmosphere, and game structure are really important. City's story and atmosphere were kind of shit, and that really ruined if for me.
>>
>>320986878
I can see why people prefer Asylum. It was a simple and contained game that nobody saw coming. Everything that was in it was necessary and there was no clutter. That said you still have to admit that the fighting still felt too simple and the ending was half-assed. Both I find great in the end.
>>
>>320987524

Yeah true I guess. I think my opinion can be summed up as Asylum does less right, but less wrong. There are very few flaws in Asylum, whereas I thing City has some fairly noticeable flaws with the story and pacing, the atmosphere is basically gone, the side missions are mostly unsatisfying, and the loss of a Metroidvania design really sucks.

Basically I think the series should have only consisted of Asylum and City. Origins and Knight shouldn't have been made.
>>
Asylum is my favourite, though I really liked City too.

Haven't played Knight and probably never will. I just heard so much shit about it and watching the endings on youtube sealed the deal for me.
>>
I liked City more

City > Asylum > Origins > Oops All Batmobile
>>
I really started to dislike Rocksteady more and more with time. Arkham City was mostly okay, but had that Catwoman DLC only for new games. then their Harley DLC was trash.

Fast forward to Knight and not only is it horrible in a lot of ways, but pic related actually said they came up with the name first, then the story. I know game stories and Batman stories aren't ever going to be amazing, but that's really not okay. Letting marketing decide your game's title and therefore it's story is just a shitty move. Overall, Knight was bad for other, bigger reasons though.
>>
>>320988256

City > Asylum = Knight >>>> Origins

Asylum has the best atmosphere and story, but the actual gameplay just doesn't hold up after playing City and Knight.

City had the most optimal gameplay and actually felt somewhat challenging at times, but went overboard on sidequests.

Knight was alright and had some well-done predator sections, and added the batmobile (which is honestly the only thing they could have added at this point), but otherwise felt like a dearth of ideas and contract obligation.

Origins just felt like desperation move, attempting to directly reference as many batcomics as possible at once while somehow fucking up the gameplay and making the whole thing even buggier than a Bethesda title.
>>
shit sux
>>
File: 1416451859653.png (313 KB, 339x370) Image search: [Google]
1416451859653.png
313 KB, 339x370
>>320988869
It was hilarious when they kept insisting it wasn't Red Hood, just for it to be Red Hood.
>>
>>320988869
>they came up with the name first, then the story
You can't be serious.
No, no. That's not true man.
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>Game Informer: "Is it fair to say the game is named after the Arkham Knight?"

>Sefton Hill: "The name came first actually...We were trying to think of names and obviously we wanted to get Arkham in there since it's kind of the brand..."
>>
>>320988869
i thought the harley dlc was made by wb montreal
>>
>>320989403
Holy fucking shit.
I'm speechless. I don't know what to say.
>>
>>320988256
>>320989042
Gonna play devils advocate and say Origins while being quick cash grab, had the best story out of all of them. It would've been Asylum if it weren't for the Titan and the ending.
>>
>>320989042

I liked Origins if only because it had a ton of villians, some of them ridiculously obscure. If there's one thing every Batman game can benefit from, it's more appearances by people from his Rogues Gallery.

Knight looked really, really nice, but I got sick of the Batmobile pretty fast and it's at least 70% of the game. Also Joker being predominant for the fourth time in a row despite being FUCKING DEAD. Scarecrow went from being the main villian to a sideshow, same for the Arkham Knight, who the game is named after.
>>
>>320989224
Nah man, it's Franz Oberhauser
>>
>>320989518

I'd bet money on Joker's reappearance on Troy Baker getting contracted for 2 games after Hamill got dropped after City.

Also, they finally made the Riddler into a character who doesn't just leave a bunch of trophies hidden around, but actually poses some sort of challenge.
>>
>>320986367

I agree with you OP

I'd still rather play Asylum than City again. And I'll probably never play Knight since the PC version is so poor.

City was OK, but just not as good as Asylum.
>>
>>320989490
would it really have been better if he tried to deny it

it was obvious
>>
Honestly, Origins should have been two games:

1. Batman takes down Black Mask's criminal empire, with cameos from Penguin and the Falcones. The assassin's are in this story, with Deathstroke being the major one.

2. Batman's introduction to Joker, with him trying to use Bane to take over the city. Then Bane betrays Joker and other elements of Origins are used (Bane kills Alfred and takes TN1).
>>
>>320986847
Other than Freeze in City most of the bosses in the series are shit.

Special mention for Arkham Knight for not even having bosses and Origins for riddling them with shitty counter pseudo QTEs and reskins of previous City fights.
>>
I loved asylum.
found the rest to be mediocre.

I loved the Metroid feeling.
>>
>>320989263
Not that surprising. Fairly certain I heard naughty dog thought up of 'cool scenes' and then pieced the game together around them for uncharted 3, iirc.

>>320989042
I think knight had the best combat (just by further embellishing on city), but otherwise I pretty much agree with you.

>>320989508
I enjoyed origins for that reason, but I think its the weakest of the series if only because it didn't really try to do anything new, making it feel like city 1.5
>>
>>320989490
>>320989945

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9qBFgcRlo&t=5m46s

The phrase "talentless hacks" springs to mind. I fully understand that "Arkham" is the brand, but Jesus this is embarrassing. I hated the name "Arkham City", but this is much worse.
>>
Also, don't forget that Asylum actually had a secret pertaining to City that the devs actually had to tell people about because no one found it.
>>
>>320991253

That was cool, more games need secrets that take awhile for people to discover.

Knight has a similar thing involving ManBat, took at least a few weeks before that one was well known.
>>
>>320991686
>>320991253
Boon said there is still a secret in MK1 that no one found but I find that hard to believe specially when we can dissect roms.
>>
File: catwoman_AK.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
catwoman_AK.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Arkham Asylum
- Best atmosphere

Arkham City
- Best narrative

Arkham Knight
- Best visuals and gameplay

They all excel in their own way which makes them hard to rank. It all comes down to personal preference really.

And it's pretty much confirmed Rocksteady is working on Batman Beyond since they said they're done with the Arkham series but not Batman.
>>
>>320992049

Beyond would be cool.
>>
>>320991253

what, that one reference to Dr. Strange in the Asylum?

Dr. Strange was sort of lame as fuck
>hurrdurr i know ur identity batman
>i'm gonna fuck with you by throwing you in Arkham City and then do nothing else throughout the game
>now i'm just gonna be a punk bitch and die like a punk bitch when Ra's decided i'm a punk bitch
>>
I'm a big fan of arkham games. When you like Batman as much as I do, it's just so good...
Asylum was a big slap in the face, because nobody knew it was possible to make a Batman game that good. It was a contained version of Batman, but so well-executed it wasn't a problem at all.

City was the logical step forward. Batman isn't Batman without rooftops and a urban environment. The gameplay was also better, and the story made a very good job at displaying a lot of villains and their gangs.

Knight was also the next logical step with the batmobile. I liked it very much. The bat-feels were incredible in that game.

Origins had some good ideas story-wise, but the whole felt messy, and the gameplay was just very bad. (God, those electric gauntlets...)
>>
>>320986367
No. City is better in every single way.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.