[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else here thinks old games suck, because of their graphics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: 1450627457596.jpg (27 KB, 576x325) Image search: [Google]
1450627457596.jpg
27 KB, 576x325
Who else here thinks old games suck, because of their graphics?
I know you will think this is b8 and will jump at the chance to call me an underage or retarded, but I've been playing games since the 90s and I can't fathom why there is such devotion towards older games as opposed to newer one. Here is the thing most people don't realize. Graphics are a large part of how a game feels when you play it. I am not just talking about how shiny a brick in a newer game compared to an older. Think of it this way...

In FPS games a good shooting game isn't just about how many types of weapons and enemies there, what makes shooting satisfying is how the weapon looks when you shoot it (this is graphics) and sounds (sound design was also shit back then). Simply putting the crosshair over the target and clicking a button can be done in any game but its actually modern graphics that make it feel smoother and more responsive.

I've played FPS games pre 2005 and they are dogshit compared to modern ones, yes even COD blows them out of the water.

Its not just FPS games, take skyrim vs morrowind. Sure Skyrim is worse in a lot of areas as far as game design. But graphics make hitting something with an axe far more satisfying than the equivalent of knocking a stick against a cardboard cut out.

Games like Resident Evil 2, which were classics at the time are so limited by graphics that it basically has no game play except dodge the enemy in the narrow field of vision with horrible controls and click to shoot.

Graphics matter, whether you realize it or not.
>>
File: 1396495178605.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1396495178605.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
Reminder that kids born in 1997 can post on 4chan.
>>
>>320975206
Here's your reply.
>>
I get what you're saying, but you don't need good graphics to create satisfying animations/effects.
For example the combat in old PS2 action games such as DMC3/God hand is still miles better than skyrim, despite skyrim having better graphics.
>>
Old graphics are usually a turnoff for me too. I get the appeal of some games' artstyles like King of Fighters, while other games like Yoshi's Island I will never understand why people still think they look good.

I'd definitely never touch anything pre-NES, and some games like King's Quest just look inexcusably terrible.
>>
>>320975206
>I know you will think this is b8

You know what? I didn't the first time you posted this blog of yours. But when you copy and paste the exact same thread multiple times then 'yes' this is bait.
>>
>>320975465
>muh bait

nice reply faggot
>>
>>320975206
Graphics can look good without being photorealistic
/thread
>>
>>320975206
I agree with you OP. Old video games are outdated in comparison and the whole feeling of newer games offer a way more immersive experience. Older games have a more arcade experience, WHICH MAKES THEM STILL FUN. but Arcade genre might not be what you'd be looking for nowadays.
>>
>>320976232
>/threading your own post
>>
>>320975465
>1997
It's two weeks until 1998 shitters start legally posting, anon
also
>can post
>implying 60% of /v/ isn't 2000 and younger
>>
>>320975206
Graphics and other kinds of presentation do matter. It's why shooting things in DOOM still feels better than most modern shooters, and why I love that game despite not growing up with it.
>>
>>320975206
Nice pasta, you underage gayman.
>>
>>320976370
what about immersive arcade games?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1437885328405.jpg (25 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1437885328405.jpg
25 KB, 500x425
>graphics don't affect whether I like a game or not

This is such a damn good feeling, the ability to enjoy a game that plays very well if it looks like shit
>>
I'd play a game with shit graphics and good everything else. I wouldn't play a game when all it has going for itself are some amazing graphics.
>>
File: 1449479812641.jpg (74 KB, 415x439) Image search: [Google]
1449479812641.jpg
74 KB, 415x439
>>320975206
>but its actually modern graphics that make it feel smoother and more responsive.

>I've played FPS games pre 2005 and they are dogshit compared to modern ones, yes even COD blows them out of the water.
>>
>>320975206
Yes, graphics matter, to an extent. Keep in mind most of these older games' graphics blew people away at the time.

For me, gameplay always trumps graphics. Some older games (like Resident Evil 2) just play like shit, mostly because of the limited hardware of the time. But I still thoroughly enjoy many older games, many from the N64 and PS2, as well as newer ones. They are still fun because their gameplay formula doesn't get old, even if their graphics do.

So to sum up my argument, yes, graphics matter to an extent, but they aren't everything, and if you only play a game solely for MUH GRAFICS and ignore all of the excellent older titles, then you are missing out on many well-crafted, timeless experiences, and I feel bad for you.
>>
Is this nigga trying to imply that cod has good graphics?
>>
>>320977535
He's probably a consolefag
>>
>>320975206
Funny you should use that picture.
I thought that Return to Castle Wolfenstein had much better gameplay than New Order.
You want to know what's not fun?
Having to recharge your dedicated anti-armor gun IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING BATTLE.
>>
>>320975206
Yeah but your whole argument is destroyed by the fact that having higher tolerance to graphics opens more possibilities to games you are able to play and you dont have to be a ugly, stupid and horrible piece of shit that has to get the newest games because of "lol graphics". I have always had a solid PC for GAMES and I have bought all consoles available 2 to 5 years after they have launched like everybody should. I dont have to pre-order games, I will play them when I have the time, probably as a "uncut super extra all DLC" edition.

Not giving shit about graphics makes you a better person man. Stop giving a shit, and play everything in the world and become a true wizard.
>>
>>320975206
This pasta's fuckin' stale, man
>>
File: 1448482013099.png (16 KB, 245x235) Image search: [Google]
1448482013099.png
16 KB, 245x235
>>320975206
>It's a grafix fags thread
>inb4 visual medium
>inb4 motion sickness
>inb4 console wars
>>
>>320978106
Just use a shotgun you fucking pansy.
>>
>>320976460

I was born in 1985 (death of Freddy Mercury)

anyway, I don't know why I keep lurking the chans,

I have to get a life
>>
>>320976370
>newer games offer a way more immersive experience.
And still we dont have anything better than System Shock 2, Thief 2 or anything in that caliber when talking about immersion.

LOL
>>
>>320975206
Underage and retarded.
>>
>>320975206
My problem is the input lag. Just isn't as responsive as modern games
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.