[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't games fun anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: war has changed.jpg (489 KB, 692x1031) Image search: [Google]
war has changed.jpg
489 KB, 692x1031
Why aren't games fun anymore?
>>
because the games you like from the past are just the few good games that are remembered while the bulk is forgotten, giving you a skewered view of games in the past. Meanwhile the current games you see are not filtered and you take all the shit facefirst.
>>
>>320941747
They are. EDF 4.1 just came out like 2 weeks ago.
>>
Games used to have to try and be original and different to stand out
Now they can just make them flashy and saturate media with marketing
>>
>>320942537
>original
>the WWII military shooter meme was a thing on X-Play until it died
>>
>>320941747
>playing western games
>>
>those thigh-highs
Hnnggg
>>
>>320942402
English version when?
>>
>>320942402
Is it coming to steam or not?
>>
>>320941747
We've come back to the point where most people like movies more than games again, but because casual scum are so afraid of not being gamers they buy the most movie-like games they can find. When so many people buy movie-games it causes publishers to only greenlight those kinds of games, which is why there are so many.
>>
>>320944692
those clearly only go to the knee
>>
>>320942258
/thread

Alright everyone it's been fun!
>>
Games now try too hard to be serious, because they think that serious = well written, good, mature
>>
>>320942258
Thing is, back then AAA games were generally good.
Now the few companies that generally put out good games are also shit.
It's no doubt that ratio of good to bad games has heavily increased and so has the corporate ass fucking with "gaming journalism" being as corrupt as it is.
We also didn't have to deal with political correctness at this level which we have seen to have been influencing games more and more.
This is why I beg for a crash every year. The only way to save it is to reboot it all together.
>>
>>320946680
There are and were loads of bad AAA games. And now with games like the witcher stepping up there are new companies that make good high production value games.
Also there were loads of shovelware games back then, only difference is that there isnt steam that tries to shove them in your face. You forget them faster since back then the trips to the game shop werent as often.
Gaming journalism was never good the only difference is now they are shilling in a bigger event hall with more expensive shit.
Polcor affects everything and a crash wouldnt do jack. And overal they mostly affect shitty short AAA games that are now shit with polcor instead of just shit.
>>
>>320944862
Are you stupid?

>>320945012
Are you really THAT stupid?
>>
>>320947326
>>320942258
basic common sense on /v/? what the hell is happening?
>>
>>320941747
Watching a movie where you have to press one button to make the movie play is not a video game.
>>
Cause you all find stupid shit to complain about.
>>
>>320941747
Games are supposed to be art.
Fun and gameplay get in the way of artistic cinematic storytelling.
>>
>>320948431
Cutscenes are the cinematic storytelling befor you enter the mission, to have fun and gameplay.
>>
>>320948585
The gameplay segments fuck up the pacing of the cutscenes and dialog scenes.
Solution: remove gameplay.
>>
>>320941747
(insert obligatory remark about wanting to have sex with the pink cat here)
>>
File: puking and pointing.jpg (8 KB, 350x251) Image search: [Google]
puking and pointing.jpg
8 KB, 350x251
>vgcats
>>
because fun is now synonymous with autism.

I mean, look at nintendo. they try doing something fun with splatoon and it instantly turns into dank autist memester simulator
>>
>>320947414
When did /a/ get here?
>>
>>320942258
Winner
/thread
>>
>>320947326
>Polcor affects everything and a crash wouldnt do jack
hope you're not trying to say political correct was an issue back then as it is now

90% of past vidya ads if brought out today would straight out kill the career of multiple people
>>
File: 1431973365145.webm (355 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1431973365145.webm
355 KB, 1280x720
>>320941747
Because now that everyone that was alive through those fun years are now adults, they feel the need to justify their hobby to others as something more than it actually is, something mature, which works wonderfully on the new generation because they don't know any better and think blood+gore+swearing = grown up.
This is why games are more like interactive movies. This is why devs discard fun stupid stuff for realism. This is why games are now rated by how "deep", "meaningful" or "pretty" they are instead of "does it play good? is it fun?"
If you want fun games then just drop the west all together.
There is plenty of fun to be had in the east.
>mfw spending upwards to thirty minutes fighting this multiform boss and finishing it off by way of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGFm6iSjoI
Japan still knows that QTEs are a treat for AFTER you beat the boss, not the entirety of it.
>>
>>320952481
I mean that a crash wouldnt make the world magically roll back to the 90s. If there is a crash sure AAA gaming would go down but polcor would still be around looking for things to throw hissyfits about in the shambles.

Also the first crash was because of lack of customer trust. Since COD and the like is pretty steady in what it produces they would survive a crash just as well
>>
Because humanity is experiencing another romantic era, where putting in sappy "muh emotions" storylines draws in a larger fanbase than actual fun gameplay does. Think Undertale, life is strange, gone home, her story, etc
>>
>>320941747
Play Japanese indie games.
Avoid waifushit.
>>
Press X to SHAWN
>>
>>320942258
Name one NES game that tried to evoke feelings (anger/frustration doesn't count), attempting to be an artistic medium, to the point where it forsakes the idea of conquest, problem-solving, and fun in order to tell a story that "makes the player think"
>>
>>320941747
muh cinematic experience
mature games for adults
fuck gameplay we're focusing on storytelling
we don't need to pay for qa
early access
kickstarter (some exceptions)
>>
>no one has said they want to fuck Aeris yet
>the Aeris ERPer hasn't arrived

Thank god, /v/ is improving
>>
>>320953356
Because she's shit.
I want to fuck gray cat.
>>
Jews.
>>
>>320941747
I know the first one is call of duty, but what are the other games?
>>
>>320953235
I dont get the connection between your question and my comment.

If you mean modern gaming is worse because some games try to invoke other feelings that just fun.
I would say that that is not necessarily bad. Sure it can generate bad games but also good games. And there are still a lot of good games that are just fun and puzzlesolving to rub that itch.

And even in light of my original comment it fits well enough, a game like gone homo will likely be forgotten in a couple of years. When you review the year you only look at the few good games and the bad ones that rose to promininse but games like gone home would be lost. Giving you the feeling the year wasnt too bad even though in that year a couple of weeks were overshadowed by a bad game.

Same in the NES years, you now look back and only remember the good and prominant bad games but the endless waves of mediocre games, games that didnt live up to the hype and forgettable games just lay in a corner.
>>
>>320953156
JASON!!!!
>>
>>320944692

those are kneesocks you stupid shit
>>
>>320952840
>Also the first crash was because of lack of customer trust
pretty much this.
Shit like quality control wasn't a thing so there were plenty games that came broken as shit.
There will never be another crash because today's consumers are the greatest cucks in history. They get mistreated, they get robbed right in front of their eyes, they are happy to buy a product that was stripped of content to be sold afterwards and they buy those too, they vehemently defend these people that are selling them not a game, but a license to PLAY said game even though these people express dislike towards their consumer base and can legally prevent them from playing without having to give out refunds.
Only in the video game industry would it be possible to call out your fans and consumers, your bread and butter, as entitled and unworthy to judge the product and not get flak for it.
The people that don't put up with this shit don't matter, they are nothing but a small fish in a big ocean, boycotting the crap and paying for the good does nothing when there are still millions willing to buy Reha5h: Post-modern Warfare: reboot now that video games are mainstream.
>>
>>320953904
#2 is probably referencing max payne 3
bottom ones are made up
>>
File: 1391294653724.jpg (11 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1391294653724.jpg
11 KB, 320x287
>>320954106
>new CoD is announced
>$60
>before launch they announce a season pass for $50
>season pass doesn't even include all DLC they will release
>people pre-order both
>repeats every year
>>
>>320941747
Whenever I see anything related to vgcats I always get reminded of that Russian trap who used to avatarfag on /x/ I wonder what happened to her.
>>
File: 1443381607573.jpg (10 KB, 254x280) Image search: [Google]
1443381607573.jpg
10 KB, 254x280
>>320954373
>4 hour campaing that plays like a shitty Micheal Bay movie.
>The only replay value is in the multiplayer.
>Have to pay 50 bucks a year or 7 a month on top of your internet bill just to be allowed to use it to play it.
>It's the exact same shit.
>To add insult to injury, devs sell you map packs containing maps from previous games.
>repeat every yearly release.
>>
>>320954373
>>320954106
a crash wont fix this, a rollback wont fix this. This is human nature that you see in every part. Politics (people get fucked over by politicians that lie and break promises but still expect the party to be not rotten), music (generic popsongs) movies (action flicks and chickflicks) series (you can already see where things are going), anime (an average schoolboy gets the hottest chick and is superpowerful, who would have guessed that) and everything else. Just take it, most people want mediocrity and things they already know repacked as something new. Call of duty and all the other games you hate on /v/ are just the same shit Instead of rapidly bumping your head into these things you loathe just keep your head down and go for the few gems in the gutter. I had great fun with "not a hero" this week. It was simple fun. And it is a lot better than being angry at blizzard for going for a 40$ shooter with only 20 ticks and probably extra characters you need to pay extra for. (which considering how they try to avoid the issue in interviews is obvious)
>>
>>320953235
I know you said NES, but Chrono Trigger fits that pretty well.
>>
>>320943964
>playing jrpg's
>>
>>320955409
Counterpoint: Chrono Trigger was 30 hours of fun and only 1 hour of feels.
>>
File: 1433653786483.jpg (51 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
1433653786483.jpg
51 KB, 500x738
>>320955430
>East
>Automatically means Jrpg's
when will this meme die?
>>
>>320955501
Good point, but the buildup to the feels really helped them be more powerful. I can't remmeber many NES games that were quality, but there's absolutely tons of great games for SNES. Fire Emblems, Final Fantasy, Earthbound, Legends of Legaia, and so many more. Tons of quality shit.
>>
>>320942402
I like edf but the lack of controls kinda make it feel like a dollar store game to be honest...
This new one is just the same game as the most recent one on the 360 right? Just with more levels and giant monsters and robots?

I have the most recent one on the 360, and it just feels so bare boned in terms of how it controls. Like, there's no sprint button, no turn 360 button, or zoom in a bit to aim better button or whatever the hell youd call it. It's literally just move, shoot, and roll. Feels so empty.
>>
File: Morrowind_1.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind_1.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
Games are fun, you bitter queers.
Don't play them if they aren't.
>>
>>320941747
the gaming industry became too big for it's own good. too much media exposure, too many people taking it more seriously that they should, trying to make it into "art", to make masterpieces shoving tons of moral/psychological messages and evoke feelings or investing in pretty graphics and cutscenes while leaving gameplay aside.

people forgot that games can be simple, that they can be straightforward and just a tale of adventure or craziness, rather than a commentary on human existence, life, economy or whatever. is a good, well-written storyline good? yes, but it should come as a complement to good gameplay, not ahead of it.

take a minute to remember we live in a time in which people would rather watch 5 hours of some dude playing a game and making shitty jokes and comments with his "friends" rather than call their own friends over and play the game themselves. in which people judge games based on bought reviews rather than building an opinion of their own by playing games.
>>
>>320956508
just as a complement to further add insult to injury, and for all those who'd say games aren't suffering at all, go look at rockman go go. THAT is what megaman has become.

>inb4 it's just a mobile title anon, they'll make more console releases and they'll be good!

really? then go look up what capcom thinks the future is for megaman. fucking subway surfer.
>>
File: gamercat_90.jpg (172 KB, 800x570) Image search: [Google]
gamercat_90.jpg
172 KB, 800x570
>>320953425
I'll take Sweet.
>>
>>320955002
the definition of cancer
>>
>>320956508
Gotcha force years ago. The last time we had fun. Everytime after that was sit around and watch one guy play a game. Conversing about something else entirely.
>>
>>320941747
Because of muh sales and muh audiences
>>
File: 1332330402411.gif (281 KB, 1190x877) Image search: [Google]
1332330402411.gif
281 KB, 1190x877
>>320956508
funny thing is, games can be both fun and art, actually games ARE art by default, an amalgamation of all the art forms that matter, from painting, sculpting to music and acting, it's all these retards that bring it down with 2deep for you shit.
You don't need intricate stories, moral dilemmas or hidden meanings to be art. Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htgTxVG43K8 this is art in motion and it's incredibly fun and there isn't any deep meaning. And even when you are going full artsy fartsy feels you can still make it an enjoyable and fun game. just look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5KnLdGH84
Point is. Art just is, and every game is art by default, even shit games and rehashes.
Don't blame art. Blame the cunts that had the bright idea to major in "Art"
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.