[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Mass effect trilogy worth playing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13
File: Tali_ME_Core.jpg (158 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tali_ME_Core.jpg
158 KB, 1280x720
Is the Mass effect trilogy worth playing?
>>
>>320938372
yes
>>
No, just the first one.
>>
>>320938372
don't play all of them
1 is absolutely terrible gameplay wise but has a good story
2 has good gameplay and a good story
3 has good gameplay and a good story up until the end
watch 1 or do the digital comic thing so you won't have to go through the shitty gameplay
your choices don't matter anyways so who cares
play 2 and 3 tho
>>
>>320938372
>>320938437
Yes, 1 and 2 are fucking great. If you want to play 3 for the love of god you SHOULDN'T, you CAN'T, play without the DLC From Ashes, Leviathan and extended cut.
>>
Good world and characters. Shit gameplay.
>>
>>320938636
leviathan doesn't add shit

if anything it detracts
>>
>>320938372

Yeah, but just be prepared for a disappointing third part and a terrible ending.

1 is great because it manages to create a universe and after you play it you feel like there's a lot to explore in the galaxy and you want to explore more.

I remember wanting to go back to Earth, to explore The Citadel fully, to go to alien home worlds and explore other colonies that humans and aliens have created.

2 explores the darker side of that universe. It's got some good characters and you do feel like you've explored the galaxy a little better, but there's still a lot left to explore.

3 manages to fuck all those feelings up with the entire ending.
>>
>>320938372
First one is fantastic, play as a Soldier so you don't have to deal with the complete shit powers system so much

Third one is good up until about 2/3 of the way through, combat is generic cover shooter but probably the best in the series. Play a Sentinel or Adept for fun time explosions. Do not install From Ashes whatever you do

Second one is a middle ground between the two, story isn't as good as 1 but is better than 3, combat is better than 1 but not as good as 3. Probably has the best characters, definitely has the best expansion content.

Play the first one, if you enjoy it play the second one, if you're desperate for more Mass Effect play the last one as well but be aware that it will disappoint you
>>
>>320938604
>1
GREAT diplomacy atmosphere (It feels like Star Trek)
regular gameplay (What would you expect from an olde school RPG? play KotOR and you'll understand)
good story/good dialogue
>2
GREAT PUNK/RENEGADE atmosphere
meh story/good dialogue
good gameplay
>3
Good hopeless atmosphere
GREAT FUN gameplay
shit story/shit dialogue
>>
File: wMgK6.jpg (330 KB, 1400x1500) Image search: [Google]
wMgK6.jpg
330 KB, 1400x1500
>>320938372
as someone who created both a steam account and origin account for the trilogy... no. It is not worth playing bioware is simply incapable of writing stories across multiple games, and by 3 they got so lazy with it that its simply trash.
>>
>>320939403
You see her picture when she doesn't kill herself desu
>>
>>320939403
Fuck, I still can't believe the winter planet one, YOU CAN'T do that, you simply CAN'T do that.
>>
If I get the trilogy bundle on the ps3 what does it come with? Is there any other dlc or shit I'm missing out on that I should get with it?
>>
>>320938372

Despite what the majority says, Mass Effect 1 is the best one, the gameplay is way more engaging, it doesn't really hold your hand that much, ME 2 and 3 to me feel like iOS games in the sense that they are very limiting, it's basically like an even more dumbed down gears of war, all the levels are almost completely linear and feels like you're just grinding towards the end. Anyways it's not a perfect trilogy but it is good, just get ready for the fact that if you play the whole trilogy with all the DLC it will take you a minimum of 120 hours to complete it all, that's the only thing that's keeping me from playing it a second time.
>>
>>320940017
No way mang, got that PS3 bundle, guess what, It's technically broken, how beautiful.
>>
My favorite trilogy
It has so many good and memorable moments going for it, it's beyond compare

People just like to hate on it because it apparently was severely dissapointing at release, with the botched endings and broken promises and all that.
If you're going in as a first time player nowadays, there's no expectation like that so you can just enjoy this space adventure

tl:dr I heartily recommend these games to anyone who likes space soap operas with awkward but hilarious bioware moments like Kai Leng stabbing your floating car with his katana

>he doesnt play as mark meer
Playing as a female in this game is literally playing it wrong, Jennifer Hale may be a good voice actor but she's far too tryhard in these games and that really didn't do it for me
Mark on the other hand fits perfectly with everything and vanderloo is just the adonis personified
>>320940017
If it doesn't come with, get the Citadel DLC and the Javik DLC for 2 or 3, I forgot, they are absolutely worth getting.

>>320940281
>long playtime is a bad thing now

Well, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but it must suck not to have the free time to enjoy games at your leisure anymore
>>
I can't believe you guys drank the reddit kool-aid

ME3 is fucking great literally throughout the whole thing except for ONLY the ending
>>
>>320939257
>mass effect
>old school rpg
pick one
>>
>>320940775
What does this have to do with reddit?
>>
>>320938372
Yes if you have time, like them or not this an iconic series that should be experienced in some fashion by anyone interested in the industry imo.
>>
>>320940775
The ending is actually okay with some restoration mods
>have tearjerking final moment with anderson
>do shit with the space kid, guess that part's still shit
>joker comes to get you out of the citadel
>ends with u cuddling with your waifu in the normandy remembering those who died

It felt like a proper ending to a long series and it DID leave me satisfied which was a great feeling after so many games just leaving me wanting more
>>
>>320938372
only played the first one but I really didn't like it to the point that I had no interest in the rest of the series.

It felt alot like FFX-2. where there were missable quests based on how far you progressed in the story, and if you just did the story missions, the game is unrewarding and short as hell. so you feel obligated to go out of your way to do all the side shit.
>>
>>320940392
The fuck are you talking about
>>
>>320940775

Mordin's arc and Legion's were really the only big payoff of Mass Effect 3
>>
>>320938372
Mass Effect 1: Yes if you like space rpgs.
Mass Effect 2: Yes if you like call of duty, in space.
Mass Effect 3: See the above, but the story is so bad I suggest muting your tv/computer speakers when any of the characters talk, and turn off subtitles so the shitty story doesn't ruin the shittier gameplay.
>>
>>320938713
this to be honest family

1 is in my top 3 games
it's so fuckin good
story stops making sense after that, the gameplay gets more casual but the overall atmosphere is better imo
also graphics, they get so much better
and me2 has good relationship dynamics with the rest of the party
me3's only quality compared to the other two is graphic quality, I was able to run it nicely even with my toaster, everything else sucks very very very bad
>>
I'm currently going through a whole trilogy replay right now. You'll get your money's worth in the first Mass Effect length, however it will get kinda samey and the inventory system will have you rip out your own brain.
Mass Effect 2 removes a lot for a slightly more smooth controls combat system. The universal cool down on power is a major downside and the addition of ammo kinda takes away from the game universe. The interruptions are fun. Also they redifined renegade from pragmatic to sarcastic.
Mass Effect 3 - they kept most of ME2 combat. Storyline is mostly okay save for about the last 1/3. Cerberus is now longer gray. New characters are introduced from the novels.
I'd say yes, find a pre owned copy and give it a try. The first time through this trilogy is always fun.
>>
>>320940775
Reddit was barely a thing when ME3 came out. ME3 was and is garbage, the ending was just the cherry on the shitcake.

>That weird zoomed in thing all newer TPS have
>Edgy as fuck assassin villain
>Some slut who licked a PSP is a crew member
>LITERALLY BILLIONS HAVE DIED, BUT NO LET'S CRY OVER SOME RANDOM KID
>Mobile app bullshit to unlock content
>Story is shit/full of plotholes
>Shit codex
>No planetary exploration, again
>Shepard is a full homo, all of a sudden

And that's just off the top of my head. Fuck you if you're okay with half of that.
>>
>>320941203
I'd say two is more Gears of War than call of duty but basically yeah he's right
>>
>>320941468
>>Edgy as fuck assassin villain
Lel Kai Leng was literally the only good part about mass effect 3.

>be super badass asian ninja in space
>break into to admiral/councilor/whatever's apartment
>eat his cereal
>send spectre a 'haha i got u' note
>actually kill someone with a sword
Amazing
>>
>>320941468
>letting allers on your ship
NIET.
>>
File: 1421736156565.jpg (12 KB, 164x213) Image search: [Google]
1421736156565.jpg
12 KB, 164x213
>>320941815
>>eat his cereal
Every fucking time I swear. Who writes this shit?
>>
>>320941468
>zoomed in thing
It's to ease aiming with a controller, anon

>edgy as fuck assassin villain
What, you didn't like Kai Leng?
Fuck you dude, he is fucking hilarious, more so if you actually consider BioWare tried to make a serious character

>Some slut who licked a PSP
I'm guessing you mean that spanish lesbian that replaces the qt from the 2nd game?

>some random kid
Yes the sudden child ptsd was awful, 100% agree

>mobile app bullshit
What? I'd wager that stuff is completely meaningless and you just put this there because you're a nitpicky asshole

>story is shit/full of plotholes
What plotholes then?
Who gave you the right to judge whether a story is "good" or not? Isn't that all subjective anyhow?

>shit codex
Is it? I couldn't say because I don't care

>no planetary exploration, again
That shit was awful in 1 though, and I'm glad they didn't do it because the game is full with content anyhow

>shepard is a full homo, all of a sudden
More like you only now noticed vanderloos true charms you fucking closet faggot

>>320941815
You forgot that he pissed in his vases too
>>
>>320942078
>I'm guessing you mean that spanish lesbian that replaces the qt from the 2nd game?
Are you talking shit about Traynor? What a faggot.
I assume anon meant Allers, who kind of replaced Emily Wong.
>>
>Op posts Tali
>thread doesn't have Tali butt
>>
>>320942476
>Emily Wong
She's in 3 though and you once again btfo her

>liking traynor
she's the token sjw kike and she's just as bad as BigMclargehuge or hernandez the homo
>>
>>320938604
>good gameplay
>3

It had a decent TPS combat gameplay. Everything else is garbage. The sidequests were horrible, straight out of fucking Dragon Age 2.
>>
File: 1411454137609.jpg (86 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1411454137609.jpg
86 KB, 800x800
>>320938372
No,

None of your choices matter on the large scale. You only get shitty dialog references to your actions.

You are on a rail the entire game with the illusion of choice.
>>
>>320941468
all of those problems apply to Mass Effect 2
>>
>>320939403
Is Bioware lazier than Bethesda?
>>
>>320942612
>She's in 3 though and you once again btfo her

Emily Wong is not on Mass Effect 3, retard. When people asked what happened to her the official twitter account said she died.
>>
>>320942612
>She's in 3 though and you once again btfo her
Wrong journalist, dummy. Emily asks you to bug C-Sec early in ME1. In ME3, she apparently suicides by reaper off-screen.

>she's the token sjw kike
She's also p cute desu, unlike the sobbing homosexual and the big guy.
>>
>>320942925
>>320942930
fuck I literally just googled this shit and it's true

Mind must hav ebeen playing tricks again
>>
>>320938728
I would disagree with 2.
It feels fucking tiny and claustrophobic compared to ME1. There's almost nowhere to explore, and all the environments have become single-rooms or corridors.

They even made the hubs tiny.
>>
>>320943159

I guess I meant explored as in it explores a darker side of the galaxy with Omega and all the shit that's out in The Terminus Systems.
>>
its amazing series which memory has been forever ruined by me3 ending
fuck me3 ending and everyone that had anything to do with it
>>
>>320938372
1 is amazing, even though it had it's flaws the atmosphere, soundtrack, and overall charm of the game make up for it

2 was good, it's very dumbed down as far as RPG elements go but it introduced a lot of new interesting characters and factions, I'd personally say the story was better than 1

3 was alright, there was zero atmosphere whatsoever and 90% of the game's soundtrack is traditional orchestra rather than the unique retro synth of the first game, but it still had it's moments
>>
Just play 1, if you like it for the story play the next 2, the gameplay is meh, first times i played it it was ok, after i finished 3 and wanted to replay everything i stopped after 5h and never played 1 again.
2 and 3 have a high replay value at least one time.
>>
File: 1420671794157.gif (994 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1420671794157.gif
994 KB, 500x500
>>320943395
I listened to all the soundtracks of the three games and I do find 3 has the best balance overall, getting the exciting moments exciting and having a more somber, low key feel going for more emotional moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5JvbD2Zc9I
I mean listen to this, how can you dislike it?

Or the fucking romance theme even, stuck in my head for hours on end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQeFvUuPNHc
>>
What are some good fanfictions where liara dominates femshep?
>>
>>320944575
The blueberry is always the sub
>>
>>320944675
its truly awful
>>
File: destroyer class reaper.png (630 KB, 730x830) Image search: [Google]
destroyer class reaper.png
630 KB, 730x830
1 was good, exploring planets and fucking around was great, I always play as soldier because you become immortal, I hate the fucking loading times on 1.

2 had better gameplay, going full vanguard was top tier, the story was okay.

3 is okay by 80% of the time, and if you use the extended cut you will not even hate the ending.

The series could have been better, but the me games are worth playing.
>>
>>320944675
W H Y
>>
>>320938372
1 has best plot
2 has good gameplay (still average though)
3 is average
>>
I just want to see Miranda updated with modern graphics so she actually looks like Yvonne.

Dat ass haunts my dreams.
>>
>>320938372
I haven't played it and I'm a big fan of space games and rpgs. So I guess no.
>>
>>320946536
>he hasn't played it
>he thinks his opinion is worth shit

cmon get the fuck out
>>
Why are nigs in space?
>>
>>320947171
Why would you use the superior race for labor when you can employ niglings?
>>
Hey non-humans,
My name is Kai Leng, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are fat, retarded, scaley lizard creatures who spend every second of their day being not a human. You are everything bad in the galaxy. Honestly, have any of you ever gotten any pussy, and I mean REAL human pussy, not that nasty salarian cloaca shit? I mean, I guess it’s fun making fun of REAL people (humans) because of your own insecurities, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even worse than jerking off to human female pictures on spacebook.
Don’t be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shot. I’m pretty much perfect. I was captain of the n7 team, and starter on my basketball vase pissing team. What sports do you play, other than “salarian space adventure 9000”? I also get straight S’s, and have a banging hot HUMAN girlfriend (She just blew me; Shit was SO cash). You are all faggot xenos scum who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening, and thanks for the cereal.
>>
>>320938438
This
>>
>>320947961
2 is good for renegade interruptions
>>
Yes, it's one of the better gaming franchises in recent memory.

ME2 > ME3 > ME1
>>
>>320949694
how is it that ME2 is so good? It's everything that makes a good video game at once, it's definitely in my all time favorites list
>>
>>320949878

>great atmosphere
>fixed gameplay
>best squad
>best ending mission
>best DLC

It's GOAT
>>
>>320949694
I don't get how anyone could prefer ME3 to ME2, much less ME1
ME1 encouraged exploration and going off the beaten path, many missions were completely devoid of combat
>>
>>320950270

>ME1
>shit combat, dates mechanics and shit tier DLC/side missions
>ME3 best combat, great DLC, fun gameplay and GOAT multiplayer

Quite easy really. If Andromeda mixes ME3 with ME1s exploration and fixes that mako then it will easily be the best
>>
>>320949967
>>best squad
Garrus and Kasumi is a pretty rad team, but Garrus and Liara are better desu.
>>
File: 1419989116951.png (484 KB, 900x715) Image search: [Google]
1419989116951.png
484 KB, 900x715
>>320942585
Let's change that.
>>
File: phelpsface2.png (384 KB, 635x356) Image search: [Google]
phelpsface2.png
384 KB, 635x356
>>320952234
Let's change the subject.
>>
File: 1450056270721.png (498 KB, 1024x1256) Image search: [Google]
1450056270721.png
498 KB, 1024x1256
>>320952587
ok

Turian butts it is then.
>>
3 had really smooth gameplay, and that's all I wanted for.

Anyone expecting it to be a proper RPG after Mass Gears of Effect 2 is a delusional ding dong.
>>
File: 1411496358765.png (260 KB, 440x602) Image search: [Google]
1411496358765.png
260 KB, 440x602
>Reapers appear
>FWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM horn starts playing
>>
>>320938372
Yes, it's worth playing, make your own opinion once you've done so. It's useless listening to people going "IT'S SHIT" or "IT'S THE BEST GAME EVER".
>>
Only the first two so you can avoid the heartache of 3
>>
>Mass Effect
>decent game with great sequel potential
>unique look and feel to it

>Mass Effect 2
>every gameplay element dumbed down
>look and feel is gone
>there are barely even open ended areas anymore, boils down to mediocre corridor shootouts
>story is replaced with those personal character quests from KOTOR, that is 90% of the game solving people's daddy issues
>rest of the 10% game is fucking stupid
>Mass Effect 3 is supposed to be even worse

I will never understand why this series is so overrated. And I was really excited too, bought Mass Effect 2 on launch
>>
>>320953861
>Hear that noise
>Start following it down an empty street
>Fuck this is a long walk
>Finally get to the door where the noise is coming from
>Open it
>Hans Zimmer sitting in a corner with a fog horn
>>
File: 1296591353873.jpg (343 KB, 661x2975) Image search: [Google]
1296591353873.jpg
343 KB, 661x2975
The answer is pic related
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.