[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some video games that explore philosophical ideas in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: xeno.jpg (46 KB, 348x500) Image search: [Google]
xeno.jpg
46 KB, 348x500
What are some video games that explore philosophical ideas in meaningful ways?

"Meaningful ways" means no banal walking simulators or shit like Xenosaga (with its laughable interpretations of Nietzsche's ideas).
>>
nope, you can't do that in a videogame...
you can shoot mulism and save girl tho!
>>
>>320918461
>What are some video games that explore philosophical ideas in meaningful ways?

There aren't any. Just stick to literature. That's where the shit originates from anyway.
>>
>>320918625
>you can shoot mulism and save girl tho!

You know what they say, art imitates life.
>>
>>320918461

Ultima 7, a little bit.

The Fellowship might've been fucking evil and a fantasy version of scientology, but there was some real legitimacy in their contrast versus British's 8 virtues and 3 principles.

Then Serpent Isle made a good part of the game about what happens when people take good principles to extremes and run with them.
>>
>>320918461
Not really.
Most of the responses in this thread will probably be a bunch of gay ass weeb shit with laughable stories/concepts. Only some greasy neckbeard would consider any of that shit deep.
>>
>>320918461
I would recommend St. Avellone's works, especially Planescape: Torment and KOTOR2.
>>
File: 1449130626950.jpg (413 KB, 1000x676) Image search: [Google]
1449130626950.jpg
413 KB, 1000x676
>>320918461
SMT has some nice ideas on hierarchy and life/death/rebirth

law and chaos being two sides of the same coin is a pretty nice idea that gets explored to varying degrees, and the juxtaposition of man and demon can raise some good questions when played right

i especially like nocturne with its shijima, musubi, and yosuga reasons, which exist separately from devils and angels and raise different questions in their own right

and having to interact with demons in every aspect of gameplay really drives all this home
>>
>>320922918
Serious replies only, please.
>>
>>320923792
I don't get it. Have you played the aforementioned titles? Kreia and TNO are quite thought-provoking. Even if you don't like the gameplay or the community or graphics, the writing is, indeed, good. Kreia, for instance, highlights some of the issues of the Force directly relating to some philosophical concepts.

Of course, if you are already biased, any of those ideas can be disregarded with an edgy one-liner.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.