[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So who else is preordering!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: shipbreakers.jpg (243 KB, 972x832) Image search: [Google]
shipbreakers.jpg
243 KB, 972x832
So who else is preordering!
>>
>>320882381
>isometric RTS

l m f a o

i am NOT a nerd, i'll leave your starcraft lookin ass games to koreans and basement dwellers
>>
>>320882381
>ground-based
way to miss the point
>>
>>320882381
>buying games
>>
>Its like [insert already perfect RTS here] with less features but with a [insert skin here]

Every single modern RTS ever fits this.
>>
>>320882381
>showing Karan S'jet face
Way to miss an even bigger point

Homeworld was a fantastic story because it was simple but so elegantly done. Gearbox cant achieve what Relic did.
>>
File: 1369242187294.jpg (14 KB, 327x305) Image search: [Google]
1369242187294.jpg
14 KB, 327x305
>>320882570
>top-down is isometric
>>
>>320883695
Gearbox is a bunch of hack scumbag thieves.
>>
>>320883981
On the bright side, the guy who composed for HW1/2 is working on this
>>
>>320884497
sounds cool

but it still doesn't warrant a pre-order, not this early
>>
File: gaalsien.png (208 KB, 439x1784) Image search: [Google]
gaalsien.png
208 KB, 439x1784
Already did it, ready to fuck up some Gaalsian assholes.

Also Homeworld Remaster is getting a pretty big final patch in a month or so that will entirely change the movement code, providing us the formation fixes we so needed.
>>
>>320882810
Gearbox missed the point.

The game is by a number of former Relic employees who worked on Homeworld/Cat/2.

But this game was supposed to be a fresh start, a new IP nothing to with Homeworld.
Then gearbox agreed to publish it.
Then gearbox decided it needed to be a homeworld IP game.
Now we're gonna get a shit shoeboxed in homeworld story in a game not designed for it.

Thanks Randy.
>>
>>320883695

That isn't Karan, it's a prequel you fuck. It happens 100 years prior to the first game and you can clearly see the name Rachel S'Jet in the trailer.

But if you want to see Karan's face than be my guest, so elegant of Relic to show it this way right?
>>
>>320882381
>Feminist World
>Published by SJWBox and Randy "How many Trannies can we put in borderlands?" Pitchford

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno
>>
>>320886331
>giving a shit about box art
Pfff nigga please, ingame you never see a thing unlike this
>>
>>320886156

>But this game was supposed to be a fresh start, a new IP nothing to with Homeworld.
>>320886156
>Then gearbox decided it needed to be a homeworld IP game.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

During their Q&A about HW Remasters about a year ago the devs at Blackbird outright said that the game was pretty much Homeworld without the name. All Relic did was lend them the IP after they acquired the license.

Don't make me fucking hunt for this video.
>>
>>320886331
>homeworld 2 ruined the story
Slowpoke
>>
If this sells well, we might see Homeworld 3.

People said the HD remakes of the originals were bad, but I loved them. Maybe they were worse than the originals, but for someone who never played them, they were still some of the best games I've played.
>>
>>320886156
>The game is by a number of former Relic employees
That number is 3

3 anon. 2 artists and Ruskay the composer.

No one who actually did GAMEPLAY is in Blackbird.
>>
File: 1450562882817.jpg (16 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1450562882817.jpg
16 KB, 400x300
>>320882570
>isometric RTS
doesnt know homeworld games are fullcontrolable camera
>>
>>320886664
Do it then assburgler.

Shipbreakers was a fresh start - Randy Dick-in-Pitch forced the homeworld IP upon the game.
>>
>>320886873

What.

http://blackbirdinteractive.com/home/about/team/

I see at least 4 here and most of them seem to have coded in the past.
>>
>>320887110
You need glasses
>>
>>320882570
You really don't know what isometric means do you?
>>
>>320885974
>Also Homeworld Remaster is getting a pretty big final patch in a month or so that will entirely change the movement code, providing us the formation fixes we so needed.
I wish this were true
but
believing gearbox lies?
>>
Is the remastered any good by the way? Anything wrong with it?
>>
>>320887914

The formations in the 1st game are fucked up. I think there's more, but that's all that I can remember
>>
More. I'm interested in this game. I've heard a lot about the previous games.
>>
>>320887790

Here is straight from a dev:

>It is the same engine. It has new stuff that makes new things possible. In some cases, HW2 changes, but overall, it is largely the same. Behind the scenes the code is VERY different - but we had to rebuild on top of the code the stuff that made HW2 what it is (multi-ship Squadrons maybe the most obvious example). That said, when you want things to feel like/act HW1, they can more than ever before. And again - the changes go beyond either... some of the ways the systems have been created add new layers to old mechanics, stuff everyone who's tried it is very, very positive about. The goal is happy players - finally after months that goal is looking to be a bulls-eye shot
>>
>>320887914
well they took out 2 of the most important things of HW1: formations and ballistic simulation physics.
>>
>>320888378

>ballistic simulation physics

What is that? Is that like in Total Annihilation where shots can arc over a hill/etc?
>>
>>320887914
youtubeDOTcom SLASH watch?v=icwqd2Q49uc
great job explaining what makes HW1 so unique and awesome and how they fucked it up while "remastering" it.
>>
>>320888554
similar, yes. they replaced it with a fucking random number generator
see video here.
>>320888585
>>
>>320887075

Here you go faglord.

https://youtu.be/6ItNWffw_iE?t=2023
>>
I dont like prequels
>>
>>320887914
>>320887989
>>320888378
>>320888585
>>320888554
proper link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwqd2Q49uc
>>
>>320888817
>2015
Doesn't mean shit.

They have a publishing deal with Gearbox, that means towing the Gearbox line.

Show me a video from ~2012 (prior to Gearbox publishing deal) where they say (or heavily imply) it's a spiritual successor to Homeworld and I'll jump on board.
>>
>Now onto the ballistics model. HW1 used an ahead-of-its-time physics-based model for weapons. When a Heavy Cruiser fired a bullet from one of its cannons, that bullet traveled through space as a physical object toward its target. A stray fighter could pass in front of it and be obliterated, or the target could suddenly change vector causing it to miss. It may then travel on past the intended target and hit something else. Maybe a friendly! The bullet would also impart physical force to the target, visibly pushing back a frigate, for example.

>In HW2, and thus in HW:R as a whole, this model was replaced by an RNG (random number generation) model that you might expect to see in a cheaply made traditional RTS game. Your Heavy Cruiser will fire a shot, and that shot may have (making up numbers here) an 85% chance of hitting another Heavy Cruiser or Carrier, a 70% chance of hitting a destroyer, a 50% chance of hitting a frigate and a 5% chance of hitting a fighter. This system was likely instituted to save CPU for HW2's ambitious number of ships on screen at once, but ported to the original game in Remastered it removes a lot of cool emergent moments from HW1. Also because of this simple RNG model, tactics (discussed above) were apparently seen as no longer relevant since fighters physically taking evasive actions no longer factors in to whether something hits them or not. The most common defense of this system is "engine limitations" but I can't accept that argument seeing as how the source code and engine were heavily modified to begin with.
>>
>>320888808

The outcome it's pretty much the same. You people argue so much about this and I have no idea why, it's not like Homeworld had long range artillery (besides that cannon from Cata) or actual meaningful terrain that a projectile simulation engine would matter. The only thing I can recall was abusing of the Scout's evasive actions and that wasn't good at all.

Formations and balancing were the areas they fucked up. They are fixing the former but frigates and capitals in HW1 having the same stats are those from HW2 completely fucked up many parts of the campaign.
>>
>>320882381
but I already have a copy of homeworld remastered
>>
File: Randy-Pitchford.jpg (12 KB, 460x280) Image search: [Google]
Randy-Pitchford.jpg
12 KB, 460x280
>>320889284

little Timmy wouldn't want his own ships to have a stray bullet hit them! He may tell his friends not to buy the game!
>>
>>320889082

Yeah, no.

If a video of a Blackbird dev straight out saying that the game they were making was pretty much Homeworld and that they were even worried that they'd get sued by Gearbox due to how close it is doesn't fucking convince you then nothing will, you are hellbent on hating this because of muh Gearbox hate and I have no desire to keep this conversation going.
>>
>Gearbox

pirate/ignore
>>
>>320889570
OK Gearbox PR.

You've definitely won me over!
I'm preordering 10 copies as I type.

Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>320889320
>The outcome it's pretty much the same.
no
projectiles can miss and hit a different ship
stationary targets will be hit every time
moving targets are hit depending on size, vector, speed, etc
vs
projectiles magically disappear if they miss
stationary targets are missed based on simple rng
rng every time
>>
File: aa.jpg (134 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
134 KB, 1280x960
It will probably be pretty good but you can't talk about it on /v/ do to underage shitposters.
>>
>>320882381
I liked Ground Control. This might be good.
>>
File: 1450602063612.gif (1 MB, 680x849) Image search: [Google]
1450602063612.gif
1 MB, 680x849
>>320889992
how come you ignored that video?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.