[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophical question for you, /v/. Can you be inherently bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: wall2-1600x1200.jpg (441 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
wall2-1600x1200.jpg
441 KB, 1600x1200
Philosophical question for you, /v/.
Can you be inherently bad at RTS games or is it just a lot of practice?

I decided to pick up WC3 again to do the campaign, and I've been having a lot of fun. I know it's a dead game, but I enjoy it a lot. Going through the campaign is ok in itself, I ain't having too much trouble, but as soon as I try playing CPUs in a Local Game I get my ass kicked on easy.

I seem to be having trouble with multitasking, can't focus on my base and attack at the same time.

Will I get better? Ive been learning my macros and stuff, seem to be an improving, but still losing.
>>
>>320856368

> can't focus on my base and attack at the same time

Back in 2003-2004 this was my problem as well and no matter how much I played I could never improve.

I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>320856368
yes

some people are good at managing lots of things in real time

some are not

those that can, can
those that can't, teach
those that can't teach, are neets
>>
git gud.

that's all it is. get used to multitasking.
>>
>>320856530
This guy nailed it.
>>
>>320856569

What would be some tips to getting good?

I've been hotkeying my Barracks to keep producing while attacking
How do I make more gold? How early should i upgrade my town hall? Should I stop producing small units and start doing flying units early? Etc.
>>
>>320857778
If its anything like every other rts the solution to the gold thing is just produce more workers
>>
>>320857778

What's your strategy?

I used to play Undead and Crypt Fiends were awesome at mostly everything. Build that into Destroyers and you've got yourself a game.
>>
>>320858104

I play orcs because they seem like the easiest so far.

Build Barracks and Altar ASAP with 5 workers on the mine.
I send my hero leveling as soon as I have like 3 Grunts and slowly expand, but as soon as I run into the other players army I get destroyed and have trouble getting back on my feet
>>
>>320856368
the reign of chaos AI is ridiculously good in skirmish maps compared to the TFT one
>>
You can usually git gud at any RTS as long as you
>Keep spending resources
>Be aggressive
>Use your faction/race advantages
>Attack multiple areas

And for Wc3, remember that units have high hp, some abilites and the pop cap is really small, so be careful amd keep your units alive.
>>
WC3 AI is broken as fuck
>>
>>320858828

> as soon as I run into the other players army I get destroyed

there must be a reason for this

are you getting scouted early? did the enemy know what you were building to counter you? does he have an expansion while you don't?

what strategy do you feel most comfortable with? what unit combos do you know? have you learned what the other races' units are, what their attack and armor types are and what is weak against what?

ie. if you're spamming grunts and the enemy night elf is spamming huntresses early you will get fucked and need to adapt your strategy
>>
>>320856368
I'm pretty bad at RTS' as well. And I sunk about 900 hours into AoE II. I never had anyone teach me anything, and just stayed bad regardless of how much I played. To this day I can only really play the AI on moderate. Anything higher and I get wrecked 20 min in.

It's the multi tasking for me as well. I still like the game, I'm just garbage at it.

I'm pretty sure the whole point is to play slowly first. Like.. real slowly. Lower the overall speed of the game if you can. Get a feel for when you need to hit certain milestones, and what to build when. Then get faster and faster as it all becomes muscle memory and you're at like 200 actions per minute.

And learn the shortcuts for key binding.
>>
>>320856368
It is practice and knowing how to hotkey. Keep playing and practice more.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.