[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you play this? Vid here 'cause webm no audio: h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: LILT-Tut Run.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
LILT-Tut Run.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Would you play this?

Vid here 'cause webm no audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuATE5dMT_o

So far 52% said 'no', so just wondering.
>>
Yeah why not.
>>
I would looks pretty fun! Where can I get it!
>>
>>320740864
I just made a greenlight page, should be in the comment description on the yt vids but here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=578920943

I didn't make more webms so here's the other vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFxRRhNg6c

Would be cool to hear your thoughts on it.
>>
>>320741064
The grappling animation looks really weird. Is there any other place you could have the beam come out of other than the palm of your hand?
>>
looks like a 'story about my uncle' ripoff
>>
i like games where you can grappel and propell around. great if it is a mix of trickyness and complexity, so you have to think about your actions rather than just have perfect skill.
>>
>>320741191
What feels weird about it?

>>320741207
I didn't play that game but you're not the first to say it today. The physics seem very different though, in that game it feels like gravity barely affects you.

>>320741330
Does it give you that vibe or nah? Any suggestions?
>>
>>320741436
Its just shooting out the palm. I mean the fact its facing the player then grapples in front of you.
>>
>>320741538
Wait never mind I went back and looked at it It doesn't do that ignore me I'm a terard
>>
I feel like the movement options are cool, but the animations that go with it are iffy. Why throw a fireball to push you around? I feel like a "shockwave" or something would be better. I also agree with the other anon about the grapple animation being off.
>>
>>320741538
>its facing the player then grapples in front of you

Not sure what you mean here but if you look in the OP vid which is the current version there's a 'hole' in the robotic palm. It's meant to be some sort of advanced tech so you'll have to use a bit of imagination.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (64 KB, 1000x550) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
64 KB, 1000x550
>>320741436
sure, the gravity feels different, but the whole hand/glove/beam thing looks awfully similar
>>
>>320741436
It's always hard to judge if such a game is worth playing. it looks quite interesting. Of course, the movement has to be responsive, but fitting to the propell and hooking mechanic.
The trailer does look nice.
A demo would be great. If the demo is good, i would probably buy it, if the price was reasonable.
>>
>>320739582
I'd play it. Good luck m8
Just promise me you'll tear Undertale a new hole
>>
File: 1409013207841.png (107 KB, 398x450) Image search: [Google]
1409013207841.png
107 KB, 398x450
I think it looks pretty nice.
and unlike that story about my uncle game this seems to be just purely game play, I get a bunch of source surf map vibes from seeing it.
>>
>>320741724
I thought the fire as an after effect for something provides instant propulsion, some sort of combustion would be used but I'll see if I can create some better effect.

>>320741873
Probably because it's a good location for the start of a tether, I suppose I could use some sort of gun but then you might say it's a ripoff of a portal gun. I didn't know that game when I started and now that I do it doesn't bother me that much since that seems to be the only similarity.

Is 2 games that use a similar mechanic (with very different handling it seems) too much for the videogame market?

>>320741946
I understand what you mean. It's unusual for demos to exist nowadays on steam, though early access is prevalent. But maybe there's a way for me to get a demo in there somehow of a level or something.
>>
That looks cool. Will try!
>>
Interest is there but I agree with some other anons that the animations look kind of odd.

>>320741724
I'd follow along with that sort of "shockwave" effect being something that would make more sense to propel the player around.

>>320742238
I would also have any sort of grapple effect showing that it's either tethered to your arm/hand or looking like it's physically in the grip of the player.
>>
Those 52% are total assholes. I hope it didn't get to you, OP. You can try Desura as well.
>>
something tells me it's 2 hours long at most and has no story to keep you interested
this would be cool as Talos DLC though
>>
Nice reflections, maybe I should give UE a shot.
>>
It looks very good, but at the same time not something I'd want to buy. Seems like one of those games where the puzzles are all kinda easy and it doesn't give any real payoff. Unless I can blast things with the fireball then I doubt it'd hold my interest longer than a few hours. Sorta like portal games; fun for a little bit, but it's just the same thing over and over.
>>
>>320739582
Nah, it probably doesn't have multiplayer deathmach.
>>
>>320742315
I'm definitely taking some inspiration from surf maps, glad you like it.

>>320742238
About 60% 'no's on greenlight at the moment, I don't know how it works but it's a bit demotivating. Why'd you mention Undertale tho, just curious? Haven't paid much attention to the current news lately.

Thanks tho!

>>320742601
It's an 'energy/gravity' field, any ideas as to how to do that? Not sure, I'll think about it. I don't want it to look rope-like though.

I'll try doing something more shockwave like though but I fear it might not show enough feedback except for air distortion (which is already there).

>>320742881
Less than 2h for now, I'm still developing it. I have many concepts for levels though but I just did 5 for now and moved to some backend stuff like audio/settings/menus.
>>
Why would you ever use LMB?
>>
File: 1447878186330.jpg (34 KB, 590x550) Image search: [Google]
1447878186330.jpg
34 KB, 590x550
>>320739582

all the quake series had a grappling hook mod, so native that you could play any game mod with hooks on/off, it was a pretty nifty game variant, the difference was you also had to shoot people while swinging errywhere so I dont see how "hooks only" would be a good idea

unless its some kind of defrag mode
>>
>>320743089
For the most part, you're right. It's hard to make the levels introduce new concepts or puzzles. Like someone said, it's a bit like 'surfing' it's just relaxing/fun to do.

But I'll eventually add some 'enemies' and perhaps even some attacks, not sure.

>>320743117
Multiplayer is non trivial and if I ever got a mode like deathmatch going it's not in the near future. Who knows, maybe if I get some profit from the game.

>>320743431
All keys are rebindable but LMB seemed a pretty obvious choice for the impulse.
>>
>>320743445
If the levels are good then that's okay, but I would consider moving from just corridors to more big open spaces, even buildings or shit (a la Mirror's Edge but with hooks and shockwaves for even more travelling options)
>>
Im gonna follow this, looks cool. I was the one that mentioned the shockwave animation.

Remember, this is video games, you can do whatever you want as long as it looks cool. Tethers, while easily conveying what it is that you are doing, are boring and overdone. I feel like in a game like this you need flashy animations/art direction to make it stand out. The tether can be anything: A rectractible arm the lodges itself in the target, an object that you throw that attracts you to it, etc.

I understand however that gameplay comes before making animations, I'm just suggesting this as something to keep in mind later on.
>>
>>320743784
A tethered Rocket Punch
>>
>>320743667

I already played a game like that, it was called deadcore, easy as fuck

unless you aim for defrag skill ceiling it always be a piece of cake
>>
>>320743784
I second this, a fucking hookshot ass grapple fist would be rad as fucking hell
>>
>putting a tech demo on greenlight
i'm inclined to say 'no' as well. sorry OP, good luck with this
>>
Yeah I'd play it. Looks fun keep working at it anon
>>
>>320739582
>Make game with kind of cool movement system
>It's a shitty puzzle platform and not something where I use that to kill things or shit on people

Nope wouldn't play it.
>>
>>320744046
Just saw a video gameplay of it, looks boring, the world is bland (what little I looked at) and it looks easy as fuck, like a puzzle game that you play for 5 minutes because you have nothing else to play. And that is an extreme case of what I was proposing, I imagined a city, not platforms and cubes (cranes, broken windows, floating vehicles to replace the debris that he has in the alpha video, etc.), that's why I said Mirror's Edge, with a lot of work it can be subtly done.
>>
File: 1431534673408.jpg (70 KB, 604x603) Image search: [Google]
1431534673408.jpg
70 KB, 604x603
lots of potential, but that sad grappling animation paired with the floaty physics has me worried about how the puzzles are going to actually be puzzling, and not just platforming

how are you going to make your game something other than a portal rip off
>>
Id really like stuff like this, but the movement seemed a little too floaty. I could see it being super fun if you can launch yourself at high speeds. Like others have said the world is kinda bland, granted its an alpha but the mirrors edge subtle approach is good go strive for here, also if its too easy, then I will just drop it fast.
>>
File: engi.gif (479 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
engi.gif
479 KB, 320x180
idea: give the player some grappling hook upgrades a la Just Cause 2- dual hooks, and grappling two objects together. that should make for some better puzzles
>>
>>320744642

I take it you're talking about deadcore, yes it was kinda bland, the only memorable views came from the cloudy backgrounds in some levels

also yes the puzzels were easy as fuck, thats what I said

it'd be cool if you had puzzles and skill areas, and I mean punishing skill areas
>>
>>320744219
I may have put it up too soon but it is playable and if it does get greenlit the developer has no time restrictions to start selling it. I see your point though.

>>320744550
Later levels would most likely have things to kill but multiplayer in the near future. Good point still.

>>320744642
Unfortunately I'm just 1 guy so I don't think I could pull that off unless I spent a very long time on it. But I noted the 'more open levels' thought, ty.

>>320744978
Physics are not floaty at all, might be a wrong impression. At the moment it's near 1:1 with reality, which wasn't that easy but it's also why I can't just have vertical buildings because 'spiderman' is not actually very realistic, you mostly need something above you to actually 'fly' freely (without mentioning that in LILT you can 'pull' yourself towards the point).

>>320744978
It's mostly platforming at the moment, not that puzzling, just obstacles.
>portal rip off
You have no direct control over the portals. Are all platformers/puzzle games a portal rip off?

>>320745002
When you have upwards momentum from pulling it might seem floaty but that's just how gravity is until you start going down again.

Some cool ideas ITT though, thanks for the feedback.
>>
File: qfxv5io1.jpg (67 KB, 480x422) Image search: [Google]
qfxv5io1.jpg
67 KB, 480x422
>>320745470

good luck with your game anon-kun
>>
>>320739582
Let me explain why I won't play this.
This is a tutorial level and there is a challange to it. This is impossible, you should be holding the players hand, no tucking him over.
It should be mindless, without thinking, otherwise your audience target is this 48%(coincendentally 52% of gamers are women)
>>
>>320745470
brah youre a dude in a test chamber with a physics manipulator, you are in the exact genre as portal. you're going to have to make it more engaging than jumping on platforms if you want any kind of interesting gameplay
>>
>>320745470
If it has multiplayer death match and CTF and was made faster and less floatly then I would buy it.
>>
File: 1446247905187.jpg (49 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1446247905187.jpg
49 KB, 500x667
>>320745703
>>
It all depends on how good the level design is going to be versus how good the controls feel. It's a good concept, but there are tons of good concepts.
>>
I'd play it but i'll level with you, I probably wouldn't pay for it

i might donate though
>>
>>320739582
You shouldn't get discouraged OP. If these are the extent of the mechanics then you should focus heavily on stage design. Interesting areas and challenges always carry games.
>>
>>320746021
>>320746367
Fair enough.

This thread's making me think I made the greenlight too soon and I'm regretting it. I feel like I could do some of the stuff here but it would take time.
>>
>>320739582
looks dope
>>
>>320739582
Looks fun enough, but why is there a timer at the bottom? I like to experiment with stuff like this, so a timer would only annoy me
>>
I think it has potential anon - but I have you considered more movement options that aren't tool based? Wall jumping, surfing, or some other form. The tether looks too passive and floaty, but if it was a limited and more forceful rocket tether, i think it'd be a little more fun.

I just can't decide if you want it to be more puzzly and slower, or fast and platformery.

Like I love Portal 1 because of how fast and mobile you were, and Portal 2 was worse imo because you just sat and stared until you figured it out
>>
>>320746932
It has no restrictions on gameplay whatsoever. Merely there so you can track your times/records for levels and if you want to try and do a level a bit faster you can..

It's just an option, you can hide the HUD if it bothers you.
>>
that grapple sound is awful, it's like a default FL kick or something
>>
>>320739582
>Would you play this?
As a person who loved surf maps in Source games, absolutely yes if you can manage to make it feel just as good. You should watch some Counter Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2 surf videos to see if you get some ideas out of them.
>>
>>320747163
As long as you can hide it. But as some other anon also stated, it does sort of remind me of A Story About my Uncle
>>
>>320743568
>All keys are rebindable but LMB seemed a pretty obvious choice for the impulse.
I think he meant this in a more "Why would you ever use the instant propulsion if the grapple is just as good and less annoying to use because you don't have to turn around and calculate your trajectory based on what you think is behind you when with the grapple you can just see and know?"
>>
>>320746953
You can be pretty fast at power III with the pull, since I was showing the level around I was being slow. My record on the Tut is around 15 seconds. As for other movement options, I have considered it, unsure.

>>320747257
I tried something more 'sci-fi'ish but wasn't feeling it, ended up like the simplicity of this one. Since you'll use it a lot you can get annoyed with something more flamboyant pretty fast.

>>320747312
I like surfing and definitely took some inspiration from it. I don't want to copy it though but it's hard to beat that sweet movement feel.

I have plans for an 'endurance mode' where you just try to survive some sort of assault as long as you can. Later levels will prob have some enemies.

Earlier I meant to say no multiplayer in the near future, missed the 'no'.

>>320747787
You don't have to, it's just an option. Sometimes you might want a quick adjustment on the fly to prevent you from hitting that wall 'cause you misplayed the trajectory.

This was a good thread for me, bit of a wake up call but good points were made and the negative reactions are probably justified.
>>
>>320748321
Good luck with your game, and don't be discouraged if progress is slow, since you're just one guy, don't try to rush things. Also don't be surprised with the public reaction not being more positive, after all you're making a GAME, not a pandering 2 DEEP 4 MY SOGGY KNEES memefest that the public loves.
>>
>>320745470
This >>320745948
Speedy arena shooter style movement is always nice, even if weapons are different and no bhops/strafe jumps and such.
>>
>>320739582
Looks like it has the potential to be a pretty decent sort of puzzle adventure game, gave you a yes on Greenlight.
Don't disappoint me and fail like other Greenlit games faggot.
>>
File: goodbyeoldfriend.webm (2 MB, 1092x614) Image search: [Google]
goodbyeoldfriend.webm
2 MB, 1092x614
>>320745948
>>320748989
Something like this (gameplay wise)? Like I said, not in the near future, but if things go well I might add multiplayer DM with more weapons/skills later. Now for now though.

For reference this was smoething I did like a year ago that didn't go anywhere, it was MP only at the time (yes I know the graphics and stuff are way worse).

>>320749278
What would failing be? I don't want to dissappoint anyone but the more I work, the more likely it seems.
>>
>>320749539
>speed o' meter
SHAZBOT
>>
Yo OP, you should have linked your alpha video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFxRRhNg6c

I think that actually makes it look a lot more fun instead of the tutorial level
>>
>>320749539
Failing as in not releasing your game, releasing it in early access and then abandoning it, or just not making a good game.
You seem to have the basic mechanics down and it's really hard to fuck up a game about swinging around like Indiana Jones on crack so I think you're gonna do fine.

>>320750192
Also yeah this looks pretty great, a lot better than the tutorial.
>>
>>320749539
>I don't want to dissappoint anyone but the more I work, the more likely it seems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECmjB9df0w
>>
>>320750192
Thanks, I just linked the other one in OP 'cause was more recent. I posted that in the 4th reply tho.

>>320750386
Fair enough, I do plan on releasing it.

I'm heading off now, thanks a lot for the replies. I'll re read the thread later.
>>
>>320750506
Thanks for stopping by, can we download the alpha anywhere?
>>
>>320746639
Also, on second look the fireball seems more like a crutch than anything. Also, your stages are aesthetically similar to surf maps in CS. If I were to change anything it would be to use the asteroids as secrets/shortcuts around the main path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhP_oAEXXY
>>
>>320739582
Feels like you need more interesting mechanics than just grappling around. Throw in some interesting puzzlings maintaining with the theme of athletic physic manipulation.

Hell even go full metroidvanyia.

Right now its just wayyy too basic.
>>
>>320750192
jesus dicking christ that open ocean tether bridge looked rad as hell

After "Playing a story about my uncle" i wanted more thether games but ones that posed an actual challenge. Like >>320751214 said the pulse does look like a crutch at first but I can certainly imagine a mode where levels (even re-runs of previous levels) where you can take one of these modules away and still have the level be completed.
>>
>>320743135

The only problem with the animation of the grapple is that there's hardly any animation. The combustion throwing looks fin but you don't see any weight from the character. It's like the tether is attach to the hand but the hand isn't attached to a body.
>>
would play this game looks comfy as fuck
i like the pace and it reminds me of surf mod on cs

as an idea, maybe have a speed options where objects are floating around faster and the tempo is faster so your reaction speed is challenged. i would also like it to be a bit puzzle like but thats just me. when this goes popular you should make a level editor so others can create custom maps.
>>
Looks neat. I'd play it.
>>
>>320752146
also, what could be cool is a blink ability like the one in dishonored where you literally aim at something with a hovering ball over the area you wish to blink to, and you are transported once you let go of the hotkey

maybe revolving doors or something that keeps moving that can provide more challenge,
>>
Looks neat OP. I think it's really weird having to turn around to jump over that first gap though, seems like something playtesters would get stuck on.
>>
>>320748321
> Since you'll use it a lot you can get annoyed with something more flamboyant pretty fast.
this bass isn't easy on the ears either, quite annoying
>>
>Glados voice ripoff
>Blue and orange first person puzzle mechanics

It looks fun but why did you copy the Portal vibe? It's not very original at this point.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.