[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC graphics finally moves away from ancient 28nm transistors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: 1449980973828.jpg (146 KB, 960x909) Image search: [Google]
1449980973828.jpg
146 KB, 960x909
PC graphics finally moves away from ancient 28nm transistors in 2016
– HBM2 memory will give an insane 1TB/s of bandwidth and support 32GB of graphics memory
– Overall upshot could be a near doubling of gaming graphics performance…
– …or today’s performance at roughly half the cost
– Proper 4K gaming on a single GPU should be possible
– GPUs with enough performance for really high resolution virtual reality (VR) look likely, too
– Nvidia is sticking with TSMC for manufacturing, but question marks remain over AMD’s new graphics chip partner, GloFo

Are you ready for 2016 graphic enhancements that will blow console users into the dust yet again?

Will we finally be able to have Just Cause 3 run at 60 fps?

Will Dwarf Fortress have a graphical interface that doesn't melt at 100+ dwarves on the screen?

Will all this turn out to be fictional hype manufactured by AMD and Nvidia?
>>
The graphics has nothing to do with dwarffortresses fps you donut.
>>
>>320684041

IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT
>>
File: GTX980.jpg (144 KB, 620x298) Image search: [Google]
GTX980.jpg
144 KB, 620x298
>people shelled out money for this and it's already outdated by 80% in 2 months
>>
File: dorf.png (649 B, 167x180) Image search: [Google]
dorf.png
649 B, 167x180
Never ever.
>>
The problem is still that nobody makes games for it. There hasn't been a PC exclusive with demanding graphics in years - the lowest common denominator, being consoles, decides what we get and that is low-bandwith optimized low-performance trash.
I've already got useless 8GB VRAM and run into CPU bottlenecks from animations and physics calculations long before I could ever utilize that much.
You all pretend it's still the 90s and there's a race to performance when in reality it's all about decreasing power demand and thus increasing efficency. Desktop computing is losing a lot of relevance with the ever increasing tablet/phone demand for commercial and domestic applications and the current industry demand and AR developmetns will lead to further low-power computing advances whereas high performance computing will be restricted to supercomputing again.

All you will be able to do with Pascal/Arctic Islands over the coming years is push the same visual fidelity you are used to onto a higher resolution. It won't be until "the next big thing" hits the mainstream in the form of next-gen console or a VR/AR box that you get visually more interesting content.
>>
>>320685013
wake me when an ipad or an iphone can run dwarf fortress
>>
>>320685251
see you in like 2-3 years. It will control like shit, but it will run.
>>
>>320684305
That's how literally every single component of a computer works anon.
>>
File: 1447288692289.gif (502 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1447288692289.gif
502 KB, 160x160
>>320685561
does it ever end?
>>
>>320684305
Of course I did, if I constantly wait for the next big thing I would never have bought my new computer. There's ALWAYS new tech just six months away or three months or whenever the fuck.
>>
File: gaben.png (2 MB, 680x629) Image search: [Google]
gaben.png
2 MB, 680x629
>>320685709
No. except maybe cases, ATX standard isn't going anywhere for a while.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.