[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, is this ever going to see the light of day or what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 15
File: half-life-3-logo.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
half-life-3-logo.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
So, is this ever going to see the light of day or what
>>
>>320657695
SDL2, Source 2 and SteamOS are out now so those are some of the requirements down.
Vulkan is now being released in early 2016 so that's one final requirement to be met.
Likely it will be out sometime in the next two years.
Just don't expect to play it on Windows. 'No Steam Machine exclusives' doesn't mean 'All games on Windows'.
>>
>>320657695
I swear I see this thread at least once per week.
>>
>>320658657
>i will post this weekly until it comes out
>>
>>320658485
>Don't expect to play a game on Windows
There's about a snowball's chance in hell it wouldn't come out for Windows PC's.
>>
Great, now you delayed it again. You Happy?
>>
Insider here

Watch Valve closely on January.
>>
>make good video game
>leave it on a huge cliffhanger for 8 years despite having more than enough resources to finish the story you started

Why is this allowed
>>
File: xGt05wB.png (181 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
xGt05wB.png
181 KB, 600x600
>>320660435
>>
>>320660173
>X Days Till E3 anon gave up early this year ;_;

Oh well....
>>
>>320660532
They've remade the game a shitton. Valve said they won't tell us anything until they're absolutely sure they have something final to avoid disappointment.
>>
>>320660532
Because they can do whatever they want.
>>
>>320660532
>tfw it will never live up to the hype built up around it
I mean, there's almost an entire generation of gamers who've grown up without playing any sort of Half-Life game.
>>
>>320658485
>Valve makes its game steam, os, exclusive, completely flops
>blames fans and not themselves.

Be pretty funny.
>>
>>320660673
>avoid disappointment
>implying
>>
>>320660673
so, never.
>>
>>320660726
But why would they want to leave people hanging like that for the better part of a decade for no good reason?
>>
Only as a tour de force for their occulous rift knockoff. I can't see any other reason to bother, from their perspective.
>>
>>320658485
>>320660819
Valve isn't that stupid. They even regret making HL2 exclusive to Steam because Steam was so shit back then.

>>320660928
>>320660981

>“In terms of Ricochet 2, we always have this problem that when we talk about things too far in advance,” Newell said.

>“We end up changing our minds as we're going through and developing stuff, so as we're thinking through the giant story arc which is Ricochet 2, you might get to a point where you're saying something is surprising us in a positive way and something is surprising us in a negative way, and, you know, we'd like to be super-transparent about the future of Ricochet 2.”

>In a podcast interview with Seven Day Cooldown, Newell suggested that Valve’s ongoing silence on the Half-Life 3 project was fairer to fans than exposing the project along with its various transformations and delays.

>“The problem is, we think that the twists and turns that we're going through would probably drive people more crazy than just being silent about it, until we can be very crisp about what's happening next,” he said.
>>
>>320657695
Valve's a different company these days. They're a distributor, and digital marketplace company. Unless they can make HL3 into a multiplayer game, with easily implemented items that can be community made and sold, it'll never see the light of day.

I wish they'd just man up and have a third party create the game with them producing or something.
>>
>>320660819
More likely there would be lots of people installing Linux just to play the game and then switching back to Windows, but there would be some people staying. People installed Linux just for the Linux-exclusive items in TF2, you can be sure people would install it to play HL3.

Plus I'm sure somebody would make 'Line' to run Linux games on Windows.
>>
>>320661108
HL3 if ever released will be like Portal 2. It will have a fleshed-out singleplayer campaign along with a fleshed-out multiplayer feature. They never said they were done with singleplayer games.
>>
>>320661243
But Gabe has said that Portal 2 has taught them to never make a game like that again...
>>
>>320661461
I think that was more talking about the fact that it was released on traditional consoles and was somewhat compromised as a result of trying to appeal to the console crowd.

That's why Valve's gamepad was built to allow for mouse style control and also why SteamOS exists.
>>
>>320661461
>>But Gabe has said that Portal 2 has taught them to never make a game like that again...
No. You're just taking what Geoff Keighly said as fact.

Gabe:
>Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and want to have that connected as well.

>So it's not about giving up on single-player at all, we actually think that there are a bunch of features and capabilities that we need to add into our single-player games to recognize the socially-connected gamer.
>>
>>320661598
what is wrong with your brain? he said they dont want to make a game like again because all they did was sell copies of it, they couldnt flesh out the microtransactions and that is literally all they care about. it had nothing to do with fucking consoles as much as your dumb fucking /r/pcmasterrace mind wants to believe

in that same interview he said himself they hadnt even started working on the game. they dont give a shit about their fans, they only care about making money and selling a metric fuckton of individual copies of a game is not enough anymore, they are too greedy to simply finish the game that made them what they are
>>
>>320661615
>>Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and want to have that connected as well.
>>So it's not about giving up on single-player at all, we actually think that there are a bunch of features and capabilities that we need to add into our single-player games to recognize the socially-connected gamer.
>never releases another single-player game again
>He didn't REALLY say that they won't do single-player again... they just happen to not do any single-player games anymore
Yeah, okay...
>>
>>320658657
Gaben is trying to gauge interest. lets respect him and pretend we dont know its a shill thread
>>
>>320662013
Portal 2 was four years ago. Skyrim was four years ago. Bethesda wasn't working on a new engine, new hardware, updating their current games, etc.

But Bethesda gets a free pass for some reason.

>>320661860
You're greatly misunderstanding what he said in that interview. He even says "that doesn't necessarily always mean what people are worried that it might mean."
>>
>>320661860
Valve could have easily fleshed out microtransactions with it, if they had control of the platform fully. They ran into the problem that they couldn't sell maps, or skins, or other sorts of mods for it without cutting out the console audience.
>>
File: 1433002457691.jpg (42 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433002457691.jpg
42 KB, 640x480
>>320657695
>So, is this ever going to see the light of day or what

Who gives a fuck

It wont be the same team behind HL1 or HL2
Gaben is a fat fuck

George Lucas 2.0

>LITERALLY HL3: The Phantom Menace
>>
>>320662161
>But Bethesda gets a free pass for some reason.
You do realize that Fallout 4 just came out, right?
>>
>>320657695
Thing is, anon - no one cares.

Half-Life games were fun, linear, corridor shooters for their time, but ultimately everyone who acts like HL/HL2 are some kind of masterpiece is just blinded by nostalgia.
>>
>>320662518
Yea and it's a buggy, casualized, ugly, and unfun mess. It's not even an RPG anymore.

What's your point?
>>
>>320662218
>Valve could have easily fleshed out microtransactions with it,
They tried, but they couldn't make it work. They were trying to get a market for emotes for the multiplayer robots you could play.

People care more about the SP than MP for that type of game, though, so it isn't really strong for a microtransaction sort of game of the style they'd like. SP games lean more on a few packs, and DLCs. The type of content Valve prefers are tiny individual things can be sold mobile game/microtransaction-style.
>>
>>320662637
My point is that YOUR point is that "bethesda gets a free pass" is downright retarded. They actually put out single player games. Valve doesn't, and has shown zero desire to do so anymore.

The comparison makes zero sense. Not sure why you're so desperate to fool yourself into thinking that Valve cares about anything other than MP microtransaction-friendly games these days, or expanding their digital storefront.

SP games just doesn't make money on a level that Valve operates on anymore. WHich is why they should just outsource to a 3rd party to create it, to show their original fans that they still give a shit about them.
>>
>>320662556
Are you fucking kiddings me? Now, tell what FPS single player games are better?
>>
>>320658485
>game especially made for pc
>would be steamOS exclusive
No.
>>
>>320662935
Dota 2 and CSGO are both easy ports. They didn't need to make a new engine for either of them.

Why do you think Valve is making Source 2? To collect Steam royalties? When most developers want their game on Steam anyways?
>>
>>320662637
>unfun

Can't really agree with that part. It's got fuck all on the other Fallout games in every other regard but it's a decent and enjoyable game for what it is. It's just barely a Fallout game, let alone an RPG.
>>
>>320663143
Are you completely ignoring the caveat to using Source 2? That to use it, you're required to also make it available on their digital storefront? The storefront that directly makes them money, and expands their hold on the PC games market?

Forget it, the droning is too real...
>>
>>320662556
>nostalgia

Literally played through HL1 and 2 for the first like last year and thought that they were really good. They've got exponentially better level design then nearly any other FPS I can think of.
>>
>>320663309
Why are you saying that they can't make both a singleplayer and multiplayer game at once? The problem with Portal 2's multiplayer was that it didn't have a lot of replayability. It was just a coop campaign.
>>
What is the best Half Life game and why is it Opposing Force?
>>
>>320663309
>>320663518
Also, to make new games they need a new engine. That's why I brought Source 2 up.
>>
Half Life 3 wont ever come out because it's literally the only thing Valve has left that keeps them relevant in the gaming world. Their last major release game was Portal 2 and that's 4 years ago, almost 5. They can keep making as many other shitty games as they want because everyone will still be waiting for Half Life 3. If people start to lose interest? Just tease it.
>>
>>320657695
maybe. it had an entry in the internal company database unless hl3 doesn't actually mean half-life 3. it had many well known developers on board, but l4d3 had more.
>>
>>320662370
Nigger, are you retarded?
The writer, lead designer and level designer is still there. Mister Mark Laidlaw, the mad man himself.
>>
Half-Life 3 will come out packaged in The Orange Box 2 for 30€ to be released in late 2017/2018

Watch me.
>>
>>320664190
Merle Dandridge (Alyx) and Mike Shapiro (G-Man, Barney) also did voice-acting for Dota 2 just a year ago
>>
>>320664190
is that the dude that put his butter in a crumpled, stale looking paper bag so people wouldn't get jelly in it?
>>
>>320664273
what would it be packaged with though?
>>
>>320663696
Valve is making stacks of cash off Steam and items for their multiplayer games. If you think the only reason they're relevant is because of Half-Life 3 you're delusional
>>
>>320664437
Team Fortress 3 and Left 4 Dead 3
all made in Source 2
>>
File: psychonauts 2.png (963 KB, 855x625) Image search: [Google]
psychonauts 2.png
963 KB, 855x625
>>320664360
That was Erik Wolpaw, writer of Portal 1, 2, and Psychonauts (and Psychonauts 2)
>>
I couldn't care less about Half-Life 3. If Valve released a Notepad file explaining the Gman I'd be happy with that. As a massive (not fat) fan of the first game I wasn't happy with HL2, despite it being a good game in its own right.
Half-Life 2 wasn't a coherent and logical continuation of Half-Life, and yes they're from different times but the difference is jarring. HL2 feels like a tech demo with arbitrary ties to the first game, like turning those scientists you saw being killed over and over into named characters who feature in the storyline.
Same goes for the weapons too; you have basically the same weapon choices you had in the first game, with the added gravity gun gimmick and the spore pods. At least in the first game the crossbow had a realistic set-up; with all the tech available surely the rebels could have come up with something better than a heated rebar crossbow? It felt like they were saying, "Well we had one in HL1, better put one in here too, and physics! Weeeey!"

So that coupled with the fact that Valve has gone full publisher now means that I don't give fuck one about Half-Life 3.

tl;dr the original Half-Life hasn't had a proper sequel yet, just a game that should have been the beginning of a new series and I don't care about HL3 for that reason, they'd just fuck it up more
>>
>>320657695
i really don't think so anymore
it got killed by hats and assfaggots, gabe has pretty much said so himself
>>
>>320663696
>Half Life 3 wont ever come out because it's literally the only thing Valve has left that keeps them relevant in the gaming world.
>literally owns the biggest online distribution platform
>if a game isn't on steam, 99% chance it'll be a massive blunder
>"irrelevant"
>>
>>320664508
>left 4 dead 3
I want this more than Half Life 3
>>
>>320657695
I work at valve and its going to be free to play screen cap this
>>
>>320664795
Well it's confirmed to be in development anon.
>>
>>320664508
doubt they'll be making a TF3 any time soon. maybe portal 3 though if they figure out some new mechanics for it.
>>
>>320664795
Last year, the co-creator of Counterstrike confirmed it was in development

He said it looked awesome
>>
>>320664828
Nah. Half-Life 3 will follow Portal 2's path of 2 campaigns. One single-player that "closes" Freeman's path, and a co-op campaign similar to Portal 2's
>>
>>320664983
I doubt it will only be co-op. Imagine HL Deathmatch but WAY more fleshed-out.
>>
>>320664983
i fucking work at valve, faggot
>>
i wonder what they'll end up doing with F stop. what do you guys think, new IP or integrated into existing IP?

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/F-STOP
>>
>>320665093
>>320665069
I say this because Gaben said that they won't be going back to single-player exclusive games unless someone gives a very good reason to do so. He also mentioned that they'll use what they learned with Portal 2, and what Portal 2 did was have a separate co-op campaign that was very well received.
>>
>>320665291
and i say that its going to be free to play because i massage gabens feet every day
>>
>>320665130
If they were willing to integrate it to Portal I wouldn't be surprised if it be integrated to Half-Life 3 as their new gimmick along with VR.
>>
>>320665485
according to the talk chet faliszek gave on VR a little while back, it seems like it will be incompatible with FPS. don't expect any of their existing franchises to be built for VR.
>>
I was losing hope and thinking Valve was going to to give up game making since Steam has now made them completely self reliant but the fact they created Source 2 and made it free for everyone means that they are in fact working on something.
>>
File: 1349165074796.png (103 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1349165074796.png
103 KB, 700x700
I don't even fucking care about the game anymore. Just release a graphic novel or some shit about the story so I can know how it all ends.
>>
File: dTgJ1WZ.png (51 KB, 1117x364) Image search: [Google]
dTgJ1WZ.png
51 KB, 1117x364
>>320666246
That's not how HL's story works
>>
they were supposed to announce *something* before the end of the year. generally presumed by the attentive to be L4D3 and possibly something wholly new for the Vive. but then Vive delay happened, Valve-time happened, and we're back in the same old nebulous zone.
>>
File: 1358719275238.jpg (32 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1358719275238.jpg
32 KB, 250x242
>>320666348
Holy fuck, what a load of shit
>>
>>320666478
There's a Valve Content Showcase happening in January
Keep your eyes on it, although it will most likely be third-party VR content
>>
>>320657695
Valve is likely trying to find a developer that can do it for them.
>>
At this point it would be funny as fuck if HL3 were released and nobody gave a shit
>>
File: war were declared.png (196 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
war were declared.png
196 KB, 640x480
>>320666643
A little funnier with the image, yes
>>
>>320666348
So they basically they make the maps and events first and then just write whatever they come up with to explain why you even doing that shit? I find that hard to believe.
>>
>>320666572
>valve content showcase
sounds fucking rad
>inb4 its DOTA and CS:GO garbage only
>>
>>320666792
Yes.
The reason why G-Man is so ambiguous is because this stuff was never fully planned out.
>>
>>320666572
More likely it will be games on SteamOS. Capcom just announced that Valve was working with them on Street Fighter 5 to bring it to Linux.
>>
>>320666792
No, they do everything simultaneously.
>>
>>320666568

The slow teleport that sees Gordon and Alyx arrive at the lab after the revolution has already started only exists in the narrative because Valve ran out of time and had to stitch two chunks of the game together and had nothing inbetween to see the character get to the lab on foot.

The beech and the antlions and the raid on Novaprospekt only exist because the game mechanism and setpieces were made first before given narrative context.

Striders and gunships only exist because Valve was looking to make fun big enemy fights.

This is how the story is written, hand in hand with the level and game designers.
>>
It would never live up to the hype at this point.
>>
>>320666918
it's a VR showcase for an HTC-sponsored event.
>>
Valve is too content milking Dota2 and releasing minute content for CSGO and TF2.
>>
File: 96529-800-NSce6wj.png (157 KB, 800x512) Image search: [Google]
96529-800-NSce6wj.png
157 KB, 800x512
>>320657695
It's already done, anon. They're just waiting for the hardware to come out.
>>
At this point it's they're own personal nuclear bomb they can drop, but it has to be the right moment. I'm guessing.
>>
>>320667513
Already confirmed Half-Life 3 won't be a VR game.
>>
>>320667513
I expected alyx_fully_modeled_vagina.png
>>
>>320667440
>VR showcase
nevermind, it's shit
>>
>>320667927
proof???
>>
>>320668482
http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-writer-says-half-life-3-will-not-be-a-vr-game/
https://www.vg247.com/2015/09/24/half-life-3-wont-be-a-vr-game-says-valve-2/
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/09/25/half-life-3-wont-be-a-vr-game-valve-gets-annoyed-with-question/
http://www.parentherald.com/articles/14109/20151216/half-life-3-release-date-title-wont-support-vr-will.htm
http://www.geek.com/games/valve-confirms-half-life-3-will-not-be-a-virtual-reality-game-1635064/
>>
The whole thing is just so obnoxious. What the hell are they doing?
>>
>>320668637
what they've always done. every time they announced shit in the future, things would change and the fans would bitch and bitch and bitch. so now they just develop and it's done when it's done.
>>
>>320668637
There isn't sufficient reason to make the game yet. No point in just pushing something out simply because it's been years.
>>
File: 13425155289.jpg (17 KB, 200x219) Image search: [Google]
13425155289.jpg
17 KB, 200x219
>>320668898
Are you mentally disabled?
>>
>>320666792
they do everything simultaneously, as one guy said. it's just how game development is a lot of the time. an example would be in some uncharted 3 behind the scenes thing, they talked about how they created the huge chase scene through yemen, but had no idea who nate drake was chasing. they had made this big chase scene without any story context and just with some placeholder character. then after that they decided who it was. i mean it depends on the game and all that, but a lot of games do it this way. interactive design first, context later.
>>
>>320669356
Are you? You clearly are having difficultly understanding my two sentence post.
>>
>>320669554
Go play Duke Nukem Forever kid
>>
reminder that Half Life is what started those fucking corridor shooters with mute protagonists to begin with
>>
>>320660532
There's no point in making single-player titles when they can just keep making things for Dota 2 and CSGO. Just release new hats and items every few weeks and rake in the dollars.
>>
The next game's graphical jump is going to be so jarring.

Imagine all of the characters and Alyx-fu all highly-rezzed up in glorious HD complete with hair physics and advanced facial mapping.
>>
>>320668584
>Believing their lies
>>
>>320660673
>Valve said they won't tell us anything until they're absolutely sure they have something final to avoid disappointment.
So in other words, they're trying to dig themselves out of a hole that they previously dug themselves
>>
>>320668637
i think one of the problems, and this is something that benefits their company in some ways but hurts it in others, is their flat structure. no one is in charge of making half life 3, the employees just work on what they can and want to. there's no structure or direction to it unless the employees individually agree on it.
i can just imagine that with that kind of thing going on, it could be really hard to gain traction creating a big project like that which isn't as modular as their online games.
>>
>>320670269
There is structure. There is absolutely NO WAY a company with 300 employees is flat. The laissez-faire shit might have been true 5 years ago but it isn't anymore.
>>
>>320657695
Valve said they're working on a game for Vive.
This will probaby coincide with the release of the Source 2 SDK.

It's probably L4D3, but other HL3 stuff has been accidentally left in development builds for Source 2 like event handlers for a zipline object.
>>
>>320670529
How would L4D3 even look like? I can't imagine any new infected that wouldn't suck L4D2 had perfect balance.
>>
half-life is at the point were hype culture destroyed it. it won't live up to our 8 year wait. but there will be a shit ton of casuals there to lap it up
>>
>>320670651
Probably more in the new campaign maps/weapons/items plus heavy VR and motion control integration as well as ports of old maps and brand new source 2 physics and graphics

rather than new infected
>>
>>320670651
My hopes is that they try to turn Left 4 Dead into a co-op horror experience. Bonus points if levels are somehow procedurally generated
>>
>>320670769
yeah, more than excited i am just really damn curious to see how they would even try live up to the hype
>>
>>320670769
yup it will be DNF all over again
>>
>>320669679
The fuck? Are you trying to imply games must come out quickly otherwise they will inherently be bad like DNF?
>>
>>320670954
that's what No More Room in Hell is for L4D is about action turning it into survival horror would be like turning Battlefield into a puzzle game
>>
>>320670380
It's true, family. Hierarchy is a purely social one. Gaben is "in charge" because he's fucking Gaben and what retarded faggot isn't going to what Gaben has to say?
>>
>>320671246
I don't really mean "horror" as in silent hill-esque shit.
I meant they should go back to L4D1 style of levels, where it's generally dark and oppressive areas with the characters showing fear and being nervous. That made Left 4 Dead 1 fucking amazing.

I strongly disliked Left 4 Dead 2 because of how "light" everything was. Characters were shit, every map was in plain sunlight. I don't think I even ever completed the campaign.
>>
>>320671278
>isn't going to listen to*
>>
>>320670963
well think about it, what practice did they have designing games recently? left 4 dead 2? they are going to get rusty. It's at the point were I think they are rapidly loosing the capacity to make a good game.
>>
Valve makes too much money off of other people's work to do anything for themselves anymore.

>Counter Strike started out as a mod
>TF2 started out as a mod
>dota started out as a mod
>they take a cut of everything sold on the steam store
>they don't even make cosmetics for their own games anymore
>wanted to charge people for mods
>>
File: 1324366797924.jpg (45 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1324366797924.jpg
45 KB, 375x500
>>320671109
8 years have passed, sure, no biggie, let's just wait another 8 years. No problem. It's not like the last game didn't end on a massive cliffhanger. Everyone knows this game is garbage and that's why they're too scared to release it. DNF is the better alternative here.
>>
File: gayb-n.png (68 KB, 340x195) Image search: [Google]
gayb-n.png
68 KB, 340x195
i dont think so
>>
>>320671771
They are humble and realize the community can contribute.

>>320671850
I doubt it's even half finished. Most likely just a couple of people working on graphics coding or other low level stuff. With HL2 they had physics driving development, something new to design around and interest the player. Right now, there is nothing special worth designing around.
>>
>>320672074
>contribute
I think you mean do literally everything
>>
File: without feels..jpg (7 KB, 206x245) Image search: [Google]
without feels..jpg
7 KB, 206x245
>>320657695

>Valve make so much money from Tf2 and Dota they don't need half life 3 money

>As long as they don't release it people will have an interest in Steam and Valve

>After 10 years people would expect a masterpeice

>HL3 will never live up to expectations, They know from Mass effect 3 bashlash what this kind of fallout would do to the company.

> releasing Half life 3 will have more negative then positive effects for the company at this point

to quote valve, "if every game we sold came with a free blowjob gamers would complain we didn't cup the balls properly"
>>
>>320672448
They would and do hire the modders and pay them to continue development as well as support them with their own people and assets.
>>
>>320672523
fuck off "The Know", your shit video has been debunked
nice "my dad works at nintendo" source, faggot.
>>
>>320657695
No.
Valve can only lose money and face by making this game.

Fact of the matter is their engine isn't anywhere near the level of the competition, their meme consoles failed and their OS is shit that gets 40% less performance on all games, so pretty much any reason they would've had to develop a game is gone now.

>b-b-b-but muh couple million $ they'd make
Yeah they make that in 2 weeks, all the infrastructure they'll have to rebuild to make a next gen FPS game would probably cost them more money than they'll make.
>>
>>320672017
fucking gabe
>>
>>320666792
It's not movie development. You don't just write out some big script with zero idea of whether that story would make for fun gameplay or not
>>
>>320673447
There's so much incorrect bullshit in that post I'm not even sure where to start.
>>
>>320673447
I seriously hope you realize that Vulcan isn't out until next year, so you literally can't judge Source 2 based on what it is now: a steaming pile of shit.
>>
>>320674448
Start from wherever you like you have no fucking arguments to make.

Valve. Has. No. Reason. To. Make. A. New. Half. Life. Game.

Heck they don't have a reason to make ANY new games. They only bothered with DOTA 2 because it was easy free money.

Half Life 3 won't be easy or come without a financial risk. And I don't mean the game won't sell. It probably will, but it could hurt their business in general.

The best you can expect is for them to shove off this to some big name FPS studio if they get a pitch, but since single player FPS is a ded genre I don't see that happening.

>>320674775
I can. Their engine is years behind and Vulkan won't change that. It simply doesn't isn't build to compete with next gen.

I doubt it can even compete with Unity 5 feature wise.
>>
>>320674775
Its not all shit, when you have a properly set up Linux machine and don't have vsync on it will run much better than older source games using the ToGL wrapper run. Especially with the mesa drivers.
>>
>>320675039
all benchmarks I've seen shows Linux having minus 20 fps than windows

also I lost about 20fps from source 1 to source 2.
>>
>No Kelly Bailey
what the fuck is the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnJg2oR_Ns
>>
>>320675305
Kelly Bailey is back at Valve.
>>
>>320675636
Source?
His name is not on the valve employees website
>>
well HL2 episode 3 needs to come out first

HL3 could be awhile away
>>
>>320675782
>At a press conference in February 2014, Mike Morasky (the current composer at Valve), stated that Kelly Bailey is now working with Valve again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_1iqTMaeY&t=50m12s
>>
>>320675195
One of the issues is DirectX->OpenGL. Developers are more familiar with HLSL and even Valve use a tool called ToGL to convert HLSL to GLSL which incurs some performance penalty. When you compare GL to GL performance in a game that uses it Linux regularly comes out ahead. Once Vulkan becomes available porting games well will become easier because it will support HLSL just like GLSL.
>>
Half life 3 will never happen, and if by some miracle it did, it would be a disappointment by default. This game has been hyped for years and as a result it has been reduced to nothing more than a meme. People who have no idea what half life is are in on the joke. If it was released, there would be an immense tide of people buying the game, and even more hype. No game could live up to so much hype, so it will be heavily criticised to the point of being considered a failure due to the hype it couldn't live up to
>>
>>320657695
Rise and shine, Gaben, rise and … shine. Not that I wish … to imply that you have been sleeping on … the job. No one is more deserving of a sale, and all the hats in the world would have gone to waste until … well … let's just say your hour has come again. The right gabe in the wrong place can make all the difference … in the world. So, wake up, Gaben. Wake up and … smell the toasted sandwitch.
>>
They have so much fucking money just give us the best game ever already valve
>>
>>320660806
I suspect HL3 to be another Duke Nukem Forever- a long awaited entry that will only serve to piss on the graves of its predecessors. Besides, with the kind of money Valve rakes in with hats and CS:GO skins they don't have to innovate for shit.
>>
>>320657695
in case of emergency, break glass.

They're going to use HL3 to push emerging tech/platform.

What kind of revolutionary gameplay mechanics are needed to make hl3 NOT shit?
>>
>>320675305
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaQ3jVVUSw
He made a music kit for csgo.
>>
>>320676738
It wouldnt be revolutionary if we knew what it was senpai
>>
>>320657695
It's possible. Kingdom Hearts is finally getting it's 3rd main game after 10 years. And Duke nukem as shit as it was finally came out. So it's always possible
>>
I just hope they make HL3 before Michael Saphiro dies, because G-Man's voice acting is the best I've ever heard.
>>
>>320676738
A device I can use to engage in virtual sex with headcrabs and Alyx.

Definitely not this shit in my pic.
>>
Hello everyone,
Half-Life 3 will become available in 3 years time
Please look forward to it

t. Gabe Newell
>>
>>320664610
The G Man hasnt already been figured out? Damn, must be a tough mystery.
>>
>>320679110
Well I don't know, he's a silly cunt m8
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.