[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is RPG maker MV worth it considering that I own VX ace ? I'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1439040568-5569-card.jpg (129 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
1439040568-5569-card.jpg
129 KB, 768x432
Is RPG maker MV worth it considering that I own VX ace ?
I'd ask in the steam forum but the place seemed filled with shills
>>
>>320644294
Yes
>>
>>320644294
its definitely a step up

the problem is that if you aren't good at writing scripts, there isn't much available yet if you wanted to get into the deeper mechanics
>>
Just use RPG Maker 2003 and if there's anything you can't do with that engine, graduate to Game Maker.

I guess RPG Maker MV is a cheaper alternative if you want to publish to mobile devices though.
>>
It seems like every famous RPG Maker game doesn't actually use the RPG mechanics and is just a walking simulator/exploration game.

Are there any good RPG Maker games that are actually RPGs?
>>
If you don't know how to write the scripts for it, the only real improvements are higher resolution, an easy way to do FF-style side-view battles, and the ability to publish to mobile. The creation tools are exactly the same as in VX Ace.
>>
>>320644294
It's a lot nicer with the scripts basing off JavaScript. There's all kinds of shit on the internet for tutorials and examples.

If you aren't going to put the time in to learn, it won't really be worth it.

They fucking changed the size of icons so all your old resources won't fucking work.
>>
I don't understand why everything in VX and MV is so blocky and flat. XP and prior versions had a greater sense of depth.
>>
>>320644573
>>320645128
>>320645371

How much time it take to learn how to write scripts if dont know shit right now. I don't mind taking hours to learn it
>>
Can you have animated sprites during battles ?
>>
>>320645739
JavaScript is pretty natural language based. I recommend
http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
and
https://jsfiddle.net/ for quick playing with scripting.

I do it for a living so I was happy to see the language used in RPG Maker.
>>
>>320646084
thank you sir
>>
>>320646261
Have fun.
>>
>>320644294
Unless you know how to code and create a lot of art from scratch, no. There isn't enough framework out there yet, and it's still a bit janky.

VXA has a huge amount of resources, gudes, scripts etc available right now, and it's not like people have stopped making stuff for it yet.
>>
Anyone knows how active the community is on MV ?

Cuz it's hell on earth to get somebody to try your demo on Ace
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.