[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SONY E3 2006
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
>We're not interested in gimmicks, clever rhetoric or conventional thinking

>The next generation doesn't start until WE say it does.

>The PLAYSTATION3 will retail for Five-Hundred-Ninety-Nine US Dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLjWeMTwRVc

What the fuck were they thinking back then?
>>
>>320554856
And then Microsoft proceeded to blow them the fuck out for like three years. Could they have been more wrong?
>>
File: 1297255191015.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1297255191015.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
They though Blu-Ray would do for the PS3 what DVD did for PS2 and CD did for the PS1.
>>
>>320555218
Those pictures are kinda funny now, especially as PS3 was the best console last gen.
>>
Only one thing rescued MS 2013 being just as bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClekN9U_IA
>>
>>320555342
Hahahahah
>>
>>320554856
>>320555218

No you newfags. Sony didn't want to release the ps3 so early. They fully intended for the ps2 to have a 10 or so years lifespan due to its overwhelming success, but then nintendo and microsoft rushed to catch them by the balls because they had already lost the gen by a landslide and thus sony had to release the ps3 so they wouldn't let microsoft already dominate the entire gen and damage the playstation brand before they even had their console out. That is why even though the ps3 was priced at 599 they took a massive 223 dollars loss per EVERY unit sold. The thing is a blu-ray player in goddamn 2006. Standalone blu-ray players cost more than 600 dollars back then, let alone one that was also a brand new and powerful (at the time) console. This is the reason why even though the ps3 managed to outsell the 360 in the end by a little over a million units, it was still a massive financial failure because it lost Sony almost 5 BILLION dollars due to the massive per unit loss.

This is also the reason why we had the massive RROD fiasco that plagued up to +- 60% of the first model of the 360 because microsoft was clearly rushing this product to try to beat sony.

Are you people this fucking new you don't remember shit like this? Jesus.
>>
>>320555342

>Shitty online
>Inferior port
>360 was tournament standard for fighting games
>No Dead Rising
>No Lost Odyssey
>No Blue Dragon
>No Halo 3
>No Halo ODST
>No Gears of War 1
>No Gears of War 2
>No Crackdown
>No Forza
>No Prey
>No Viva Pinata
>>
>>320555342
I was a Microshill last gen, and took my PS3 for granted because custom firmware and wasnt in a weeaboo phase anymore.

But you know, the PS3's games are much more diverse than the other two competitors, there's something everyone (excluding retarded brand loyalists) are bound to enjoy.

Being region-free did help a whole lot though.
>>
>>320555946

>They fully intended for the ps2 to have a 10 or so years lifespan due to its overwhelming success

Yes and they got a 13 year lifespan out of it. Just because ANY console manufacturer says their system is going to last X amount of years doesn't mean they aren't going to launch a new system.

You are retarded if you think Microsoft and Nintendo were getting the jump on Sony by releasing new systems after the long established generation span.
>>
>>320555946
>ITS EVERYONE ELSES FAULT EXCEPT SONY THAT SONY FUCKED UP

jesus, you cant blame the fact you dont have a monopoly and the 2006 blunder
>>
>>320556685

>there's something everyone

PS3 has no good shooters, no good driving sims, no good horror games and no traditional JRPGs off the top of my head.
>>
>>320556928
Because unlike microsoft and specially nintendo, Sony has never ended support for one platform just because they released their successor. Even the ps3 is still getting games right now while the Wii doesn't even have fucking online anymore and the 360 has been nothing but a multiplat machine since 2010 onwards.

>>320557101
I'm not saying they fucked up. They did and it's cost them 5 billion dollars. Learn to read, moron.
>>
They were high off the success of the PS2.
/Thread
>>
>>320557186

>Sony has never ended support for one platform just because they released their successor

You're mistaking third parties supporting the old systems with Sony supporting them. When was the last time Sony made a PS3 game themselves?
>>
>>320557186
Arrogantly slamming the competition with words and no substance is NOTHING to do with being rushed anon.
>>
>>320557180
You obviously aren't looking. Please bait harder.
>>
Wii won the start of last generation, xbox 360 won the middle, and the PS3 came out ahead at the end.

Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong.
>>
>>320557435

>B-b-bait!

If you're just going to spam memes then just don't post at all.
>>
>>320557540
If you're not going to do your research on those genre, don't post at all.

"Off the top of my head"
>>
>>320557367

And curiously those third parties don't do the same do microsoft or nintendo consoles huh?

You couldn't have outed yourself as a newfriend better even if you tried. Sony's strength has ALWAYS been their third party relationships. They rarely make games themselves because they are first and foremost a hardware company, so they secure those relationships to get games for their hardware. This is literally the entire reason why they have completely overthrown Nintendo from their position with a single sweep by offering much better contractual clauses with third parties with the advent of the ps1, while nintendo was busy thinking it was hot shit and treating third parties like garbage and patent trolling everybody to try to pull a monopoly until they got their shit pushed in.
>>
>>320554856
they sold it at a 200$ loss even then. It was the cheapest blu-ray player on the market when it came out.
>>
>>320557729
It's obviously a micro$shill who thinks that halo, forza and dogshit like alan's wake are the pinnacle of their respective genres. It's just this >>320556149 moron samefagging. I mean, just look at that, someone saying that the ps3, the living home of japanese games in the 7th gen, didn't have good jrpgs. This is borderline laughable.
>>
>>320557520

Sales wise no.

Wii dominated.

But no console will ever beat the PS2 in terms of sales. Fucking GOAT console
>>
File: 1441915587977.gif (439 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1441915587977.gif
439 KB, 640x360
>>320557180
My nigga, we can literally SMELL you baiting right now.
>>
>>320554856
They were thinking their fans would eat up anything and never question them.

They were right, they were just about 8 years too early.
>>
>>320554856

>What the fuck were they thinking back then?

"We're coming off the two best selling home consoles in history. We can do anything we want and it will print money."
>>
Fuck, time has passed.

I remember when things like Blu-ray, 1080p and brown filters were not memes.
>>
>>320557729

Name some good games from said genres.

The only good consoles shoots from that gen are the first Gears and Halo 3 just for the community.

Only good racing sims were Forza after GT was run into the ground.

Only good horror game was Dead Rising

And PS3 had literally not a single traditional JRPG, they were all gimmicked up or real time.

>>320557926

>didn't have good jrpgs

Except nobody said that, I said it didn't have traditional JRPGs, which it doesn't.

>the living home of japanese games in the 7th gen

It was eclipsed by the DS and PSP.
>>
>>320554856

Why does everyone meme that $600 was too much? A 360 and 4 years of xbl was $600. Using the 360 for the whole generation would probably cost you $900. Another $200 for the next 4 years and $100 for RROD repair. The PS3 wasn't as cheap as the Wii, but that's not the issue here.

MS wasted money buying exclusivity for games that westaboos didn't want. Then the money ran out and developers went back to Sony. Ever since then MS has been a meme publisher.
>>
>>320558781

But GT wasn't run into the ground, GT5 prologue, GT5 and GT6 sold better than the entire Forza franchise.

Many more people played them and they were better games overall even with all their flaws.
>>
File: 1449891098416.jpg (56 KB, 597x340) Image search: [Google]
1449891098416.jpg
56 KB, 597x340
>>320554856
>$100 for a 40GB HDD
>>
>>320555054

>tells PS3 is supposed to last at least 5 more years
>Wii U revealed
>PS4 is suddenly announced
>This time it's going to last 10 years!
>NX announced
>PS5 rumours are already coming up
kek
>>
>>320558870

>Sold better

Because it's a bigger brand.

>they were better games overall even with all their flaws

In what way? The physics were a joke, Prologue and GT5 played like bumper cars and GT6 was ruined by microtransactions and the conveniently shut down GT5 servers when it came out too.
>>
File: large_old_wii60.jpg (48 KB, 429x600) Image search: [Google]
large_old_wii60.jpg
48 KB, 429x600
ill never stop laffin

theres blunders then theres sony blunders
>>
>>320558197
If we're to speak on technical terms, the Wii had a faster selling ration than the PS2, in which if it was on the market for more than its intended 6 years it would've surpassed the PS2.

But it's not like it matters much, even though the Wii was a pretty good console I'd have to admit the PS2 was better, that is, not mentioning emulators, because if that's so, then the Wii is the best thing ever.
>>
The only real winner that generation was Nintendo.

Sony were arrogance personified, and Microsoft prematurely rushed a console to market before the hardware faults could be resolved.
>>
File: AoTP-EVA-005.jpg (165 KB, 700x821) Image search: [Google]
AoTP-EVA-005.jpg
165 KB, 700x821
Sony's decision to dump Ken Kutaragi and put Jack Tretton and Shu Yoshida on the forefront was the best decision ever made.

If Ken stayed with Sony, The Playstation would have died as a brand. It's mindblowing how out of touch Kutaragi was with the general public.
>>
>>320559306

You said GT was run into the ground, it wasn't, GT6, which was a lazy and overpriced New Game+ and lazy and outdated garbage still sold more than Forza 2, the peak of that franchise. So, if like you say, the brand sells, it means that it is not so dead as you may think, probably more alive than Forza because no one plays Driving Sims in a MS system.

Whether the games are better or not than the others is up to debate, I liked GT5 better than any Forza even with its flaws and I think Forza games are impressive, but you can't possibly think Forza won that war.
>>
>>320559675

Kaz was at the forefront after Kutaragi.
>>
>>320559675

But Kaz was in charge of that.
>>
>>320559675
Today:
Kutaragi=Mattrick
Tretton=Nadella
Yoshida=Spencer
>>
>>320559763

"Run into the ground" doesn't necessarily mean in terms of sales, until the PS3 GT was THE driving simulator, the Forza came along and outdid it.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/gran-turismo/results?sort=score
http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/forza/results?sort=score
>>
>>320559782
>>320559928

Kaz was also in charge of dumping Kutaragi too.

Remember, it was Kutaragi who made the Cell processor a part of the PS3.
>>
>>320560201
The funniest thing is that Kutaragi originally wanted the PS3 to have two Cells and no GPU.
>>
>>320556149
>Shitty online
Only for the first year also it was free
>Inferior port
Because the devs were lazy,you had games like Gta 4,FF13 running better on the ps3,also not one 360 game comes close to the graphic capabilities to Uncharted 3,killzone 3,Last of us
>360 was tournament standard for fighting games
>No Dead Rising
Yakuza of the end > Dead rising
>No Lost Odyssey
>No Blue Dragon
The 360 didn't have Folklore,Ni no kuni,Disgaea 4,Dragons Crown,Or the Yakuza games
>No Halo 3
>No Halo ODST
I'll give you halo 3,but ODST sucked ass
>No Gears of War 1
>No Gears of War 2
Uncharted was the better TPS and had better multiplayer
>No Crackdown
Game was shit,not even 360 fans gave a shit about,and only bought it for the Halo 3 demo
>No Forza
GT is miles of ahead of that arcade shit
>No Prey
No one gives a shit
>No Viva Pinata
No one gives a shit
>>
There should be more awareness of hand washing. Chipotle is good food, for some reason you go to eat it later after eating half and it's metallic tasting after refrigerating it. It's turned me off from eating it. Not to make it sound bad but I work in healthcare and you can smell in stools if someone takes iron supplements. Smell and taste are connected, when I eat chipotle the metallic taste reminds me of the iron, smell of pennies the odor that comes from smelling iron in stool.
>>
>>320560194

Keep throwing scores at me, it means nothing.

Gran Turismo is still the household name of Driving Sims and everyone knows that, just look at how poorly the last Forza sold, people are not aware of its existance.

I just hope GT7 isn't a clusterfuck like 5 or 6 or I will have to concede you the argument.
>>
>>320560201
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rSLInBkY9I

kutaragi was a hero, sony is too tame now, theyre just mattrick microsoft-lite
>>
>>320560596
shit, wrong thread, sorry
>>
>>320560705
it's okay buddy, we all make mistakes
>>
>>320560634

Yeah, Kutaragi was boss in the 90s but by 2005 he became an out-of-touch hack who managed to piss off almost every Japanese developer with the fucking Cell processor.
>>
>>320560609

Scores mean more than sales in this case, PS3 GT was selling off the back of the good will built up with the previous games while Forza was a new IP in 2005 on the Xbox HUEG.
>>
>>320560516

This post stinks of fanboy.
>>
>>320554856
I miss the video game industry back then.
>>
>>320560917

>M-muh scores

Forza still rehashed things between titles, they were no different than GT6, just expensive DLC packs year after year. And now, you can see Forza 5 having a fucking 79, no main GT has a score that low and I remember you that GT1, 2 and 3 all have scores higher than any Forza could ever hope to achieve, and don't say those were past times because the good Forza games were on old consoles like XBOX and 360, now the franchise is shitting in its legacy even more than GT paving the latters way to success once again.
>>
File: kaz'.png (930 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kaz'.png
930 KB, 1280x720
>>320560516
>hating on viva pinata

I really hate you fanboys.
>>
>>320561224

This whole conversation is about the PS3 vs the 360, stop trying to move the goalposts by bring up shit that happened before/after.
>>
>>320554856
It was pretty dumb but given how badly the PS1 and PS2 kicked ass, it's not really a surprise they were overconfident.
>>
>>320555946
>Sony wanting PS2 to last 10 years
>10 years of bad graphics, bad framerates, basic online

I'm glad 360 rushed out the door.
>>
>>320554856
>What were they thinking?

They were thinking their hardware (blu-ray players were novel in 2006) and 3rd party support (and I'm sure their unprecedented success with the PS1/2) would entice consumers. $600 isn't that much for a console, I only remember BRs bawww'ing at how expensive it was there.
>>
>>320561498

And GT won that generation too, as I told you scores don't matter, I was just reverting the score's argument in my favor to show you how pointless some subjective score given by a critic doesn't mean a shit. In any case, you were the one moving the goalposts.

>First it was that Forza dethroned GT

GT is stronger financially and has more popularity

>Then that Forza was considered better

Except no one cares about Forza anymore and literally no one cared back then, Xbots only brought the saga to the table when they wanted to confront sonnygers in the console wars. But in reality, almost nobody, not even xbots, played the series.

>Then the scores

As I told you, subjective scores mean nothing. Undertale has a 93 in metacritic m8
>>
File: 332qnts.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
332qnts.gif
2 MB, 320x180
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4E3xNU9pU
>>
>>320561429
viva pinata is shit. I replayed it recently to relive some nostalgia, and holy fuck it was absolutely terrible.

No idea what kid me was thinking.
>>
How can you fuck up this bad after the PS1 and PS2
YOU CANT MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>320562287
>>320562112
>>
>>320559303
PS5 rumors already? This generation just started.
>>
>>320562149
Then you just have shit taste then. I played it right as it came out and I still have fun going back to it.
>>
>>320561982

>I was just reverting the score's argument in my favor to show you how pointless some subjective score given by a critic doesn't mean a shit

Then you did a terrible job, because I never criticized the pre-PS3 GT game's quality or scores, nor did I say later Forza games were particularly good, but Forza 3 & 4 are most certainly the best driving sims of the 7th generation.

>GT is stronger financially and has more popularity

Like I said, off the back of the good will generated from previous games.

>Except no one cares about Forza anymore and literally no one cared back then, Xbots only brought the saga to the table when they wanted to confront sonnygers in the console wars. But in reality, almost nobody, not even xbots, played the series.

They were selling millions on 360, just because they didn't have since 1997 to build a brand doesn't mean people didn't care.

>As I told you, subjective scores mean nothing

As I told you, scores mean more for quality than sales ESPECIALLY when one series has been out for 8 years longer.

>Undertale has a 93 in metacritic

Simplistic games inherently have less flaws to mark down the score over. Forza and GT are the same genre so comparisons of scores are perfectly valid.
>>
>>320554856

It was the Blu-Ray player that caused it to be so expensive. However, at the time, that was the cheapest Blu-ray player you could possibly get. They sold it at a loss to accomplish this. I remember reading all about it in gaming magazines.
>>
>>320563612
>PS3 was sold at a loss
Wipe this meme off the face of the earth.
>>
It's Ridge Racer
Riiiiiidge Racerrrrrrr
>>
File: lex luthor ate 40 cakes.jpg (28 KB, 278x273) Image search: [Google]
lex luthor ate 40 cakes.jpg
28 KB, 278x273
>2006 was nearly 10 years ago

I remember being a junior in high school laughing at this conference. Fuck.
>>
>>320564202
Both Microsoft and Sony sell consoles at a loss, they make money with game licenses,peripherals and subscriptions
>>
>>320554856
every 3rd console a company gets arrogant and gets smacked the fuck down

Nintendo and the N64
Sony and the PS3
MS and the Xbox One
>>
File: 1449463475179.png (240 KB, 803x1225) Image search: [Google]
1449463475179.png
240 KB, 803x1225
Idort here, funny how it all turned out in the end.

Nintendo's shovelware machine died an early death and starved core gamers fled to greener pastures.

Microsoft sold out to Kinect casuals and rehashed the same three tired IPs.

And as it was meant to be Sony, against all odds, in the face of every prediction, won again.
>>
>>320564991
Exactly, it's strawman bullshit to say Sony sold the PS3 at a loss considering only the price of the PS3.
>>
>>320565346
No it's not. "at a loss" just means they used it as a loss leader to sell associated products. They sold it at a loss and probably made more money doing so.
>>
>>320562506
There are no rumors. Hell, NX isn't even confirmed as a home console yet, so he's talking out of his ass.
>>
Pretty much. No one said gen 8 started until PS4 hit. Funny to see butthurt Xbox and WiiU owners ITT reminiscing about the old days.
>>
>>320558483
This guy gets it.

Same reason the WiiU is doing so shitty. The Wii was literally money. Ninty thought they where untouchable also...

360 printed money, they thought everyone would just suck the big xbone cock and like it.

Companies do this... well, idiot companies that make money do this.Its nothing new.
>>
>>320554856
Are we really the worst Fanbase on /v/ or are we just outnumbered by Nintendrones and PC fats?

Considering how Nintendrones use PC as well I don't see much of a difference.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.