[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so hugely brushed off by the general Devil May
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4
Why is this game so hugely brushed off by the general Devil May Cry fanbase?

I can sort of understand why Kamiya has a bit of a dismissive attitude towards the sequels. The first game has a level of nuance in its style and design that every other installment lacks.
>>
File: Shadow[1].jpg (6 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
Shadow[1].jpg
6 KB, 300x220
>>320538779
I found it one of the better entries.
>>
>>320538779
It's a hassle to play.

Much like DMC3, it's sex when you're in combat and just mediocre outside that. And the first DMC has tons of "outside combat" gameplay.
>>
>>320538879
It easily has the strongest cast of enemies and bosses in the series overall imo.

In the other games they are a bit all over the place, 2 especially.
>>
>>320538779
I never played it, but I know it was originally developed as Hideki Kamiya's Resident Evil 4.

Is this game worth emulating?
>>
>>320539462
>And the first DMC has tons of "outside combat" gameplay.

I think that is easily DMC1's strong point though, it knows when to slow down. The pacing and flow is slower and all the better for it, gives you some time to suck in the enviroment and world and gives the game a stronger sense of place.

You can tell it was Resident Evil at one point. Because it gives the setting and atmosphere more room and I think that's great, makes the action seem more meaningful.
>>
>>320539802
If you play through DMC for the cutscenes and combat alone; no.

It's more focused on the whole experience really. Combat is really simple compared to 3 and 4 but still satisfying. It's a beat m up in the Resident Evil framework.
>>
Because most of the DMC fanbase wasn't playing video games when DMC1 came out. I bet most of these faggots can't even beat DMC1 on DMD without abusing items.
>>
>>320538779
It's the best one in the series.
>>
>>320539870
More like time to get lost.

It's okay to have some room, but the game doesn't execute it well. The ambients are nice.
>>
Because DMC took off with DMC3, so "fans" want to "style" on enemies and watch Dante pull "crazy" stunts. They are not used to fight against enemies that fight back, or explore a perfectly-crafted environment (they instead are used to boring corridors and loads of backtracking).

Don't get me wrong, I like DMC3 and, to a less extent, DMC4, but DMC1 feels so much better overall.
>>
>>320540205
What? DMC1 (at least over here) was like a AAA release. Everyone bought it and played it heavily. Hell my brother did 3 like DMD no damage runs back in the day.
>>
>>320540694
I wish Capcom could go back and look at what made the first DMC have such broad appeal.

The games became way too self-indulgent with 3 and 4. The games started shouting in your face how cool they were instead of letting the game speak for itself.

Hell, I think Bloodborne is a good game to look at as a modern example.
>>
I still consider it the best game in the series due to the strong enemy roster, boss battles, and environments. The sequels expand Dante's moveset, but the opposition just isn't as interesting to fight against.

>>320538879
Taking down a pack of three of those monsters was so satisfying.
>>
>>320539462
only "outside can combat" gameplay that you could have a problem with in 1 is swimmimg, i dont see what it could possibly be in 3
>>
>>320538779
>buy dmc 1-4 on xbox
>1 is fun as fuck and super challenging, feels like a survival horror game in some instances and I can see the leftover re4 elements
>start DMC2
>kill first boss without any trouble and didn't even know it was a boss
>zombie tanks
>zombie helicopters

dropped that shit like a live grenade.
>>
DMC1 is still the only game in the series to have gotten firearms just right.

After 2 they pretty much got pushed to the sidelines. Despite Ebony and Ivory being Dante's most iconic weapons.
>>
>>320538779
It's reasonable for people who have liked 3 and 4 to dislike 1 since it doesn't play like it. I enjoy 1 but it isn't my favourite in the series.
>>
DMC 1 Dante is best Dante. He looks like a fucking idiot in every entry after this.
>>
>>320538779
>I can sort of understand why Kamiya has a bit of a dismissive attitude towards the sequels.
It's actually because he had nothing to do with them so of course he isn't going to like them as much as his own creation ya donut.
>>
>>320538779
>>320538779
Even though enemies and bosses are arguably more complex than the later games, with different states and such, combat is still on the whole, simpler than the sequels. There's comparably not really much to it.
>>
>>320541453
>The games became way too self-indulgent with 3 and 4. The games started shouting in your face how cool they were instead of letting the game speak for itself.
But 4 was the highest-selling game in the series.

And 2 sold more than 1 and the only reason why 3 sold so low was b/c of how terrible 2 was.

And if anything, 3 and 4 both were two, true, genuine evolutions in the formula, b/c every other character action game takes from them. Just look at Bayonetta, MGR, etc. Closer to 3 than 1, b/c despite the praises in 1's combat design, the faster-paced combat of the later games is just more fun than 1's slower gameplay.
>>
>>320542868
I hope you mean just 2 and not the whole series.

>>320543036
But guns are still useful as fuck in 3 and 4.

It's only DmC where they're mostly terrible.
>>
File: 1418751984811.jpg (170 KB, 940x866) Image search: [Google]
1418751984811.jpg
170 KB, 940x866
>>320543405
>not liking sexy uncle Dante
>>
>>320544014
>But guns are still useful as fuck in 3 and 4.

Are you kidding me? They are fucking peashooters in 4, some moves are really useful like Nero Charge Shot and Dante's Rainstorm but they are generally pretty trash and build way too little meter.

3 had pretty effecient guns but I can't say I'm a fan of how they feel to shoot.
>>
>>320538779
DMC1 has always been my favorite but that's because I'm really bad at being stylish. The music is fantastic though, the other entries were a real let down in that department.
>>
>>320538779
The original game had something that the rest of the series lacks completely. The atmosphere is so rich in the first game that its by far my favourite thing about it. All the demonic items and things you collect for puzzles and whatnot, the things you find around the castle and how it slowly gets more and more unsettling. In the end of the game you fight fucking satan in hell. DMC 3 exploits the wackiness of DMC but it has none of the unsettling aspects of the original DMC.
>>
>>320543405
I love DMC1's outfit the best
>>320543036
I think the combo of sword + double handguns is what Dante iconic IMO
>>
>>320544014
I got a few hours into 4 but I haven't used my xbox for anything in a few months. Been meaning to get back to it.
>>
dmc 1 needs a pc port with weapon swapping
as does 2, but also with weapon styles swapped in place of the elemental swords
>>
DMC3 > DMC1 = DMC4 > Shit >>> DMC2 >= Fuck You
>>
>>320547092
Yeah, I'm ok with this
>>
>>320547092
>4 that high

nope
>>
>>320543921
>4 was the highest selling game in the series
>available on 3 platforms instead of 1 platform like the first three games were

Well, no shit.
>>
>>320547092
Shit man I understand the hate for DmC but you have to be straight up mad to say DMC2 is better. 2 was an absolute snoozefest, the greatest sin a DMC game can commit.
>>
>>320547092
DMC4SE>DMC3SE>DMC4>DMC1>liquid poop>DmC
>>
>>320547652
This
>>
>>320547597
Well at least it didn't shit on the design.
>>
>>320547652
>>320547696
if you ever played DMC you'd find it's an average game. better gameplay than dmc 2 and better written than 1 2 and 4
>>
>>320547652
I'd agree if DMC4's Bloody Palace wasn't so shitty.
And I'd take proto RE4 over half a game.
>>
>>320540682
>They are not used to fight against enemies that fight back
Man, DMC1 is way easier then 3/4, especially on higher difficulty, and the enemies in the later games are far from punching bags.
>>
>>320547870
I did play DmC and it was utter garbage with absolutely no redeemable aspects.
>>
>>320547979
the chain link grabs are a nice touch and it is a generally pretty game to look at. and unlike other certain devil may cry type games, there are no Quick Time Events
>>
>>320547979
As a diehard DMC fan since the first, I have to disagree. It's a serviceable hack and slash, nothing spectacular, but about on par with something like God of War, just with meh design, and horrid writing.
>>
>>320538779
Setting's good but the gameplay is just way too simple when compared to later entries.
People who consider DMC1 to be the best in the series are blinded by nostalgia, plain and simple.
Gameplay wise the best one is DMC4:SE, overall content wise the best one is still DMC3
Now all they need to do is to make a DMC5 with the gameplay from 4 and the content from 3.
>>
>ITT:Hipsters
I played the original when it came out and the camera was terrible even back then and the backtraking felt like filler
>>
>>320538779
This game is trash from a gameplay standpoint, and it's also horribly paced with each mission being around 2 minutes.

I like the soundtrack and bosses though.
>>
i remember the firs time i saw the first dmc in a demo that come with a game magazine idk like 16 years ago aprox, i was so fucking excited that i saw the trailer like 20 times, then i played the game and it was one of the most awesome thing i experimented in all my whole life, and the first time i comple DMD taht was sooo incredible, after that i played all the others dmc and all were SHIT
>>
Why the fuck was 2 so horrible?
>casualized
>worst enemy designs are bland, uninspired and feel out of place
>stoic, no-fun Dante
>you can't ride a motorcycle like on the back cover
>nerfed stinger
>3 swords with variety in moves
>most bosses super slow can be killed with guns ez
>dumb mega-corp plot
>huge, empty and bland environments with respawning enemies everytime you re-enter an area
Outside of Dante's outfit, Lucia, and a great one-liner for the pen-ultimate boss, why did this game turn out bad enough that Capcom actively avoids acknowledging it?
>>
>>320547092
DMC3>DMC4:SE>DMC4>DMC1>DmC>>>>>DMC2
>>
>>320543405
Personality wise he's the best. I hated Uncle Dante because by then he was just shitting around. I like Nero the best but just barely though
>>
>>320548564
It blows my mind because the same development team later made DMC3 which is the best game in the series
What the fuck happened even?
>>
>>320538779
3 improved on it a fuck ton, it's so much better by comparison. 4 would be the best if not for being half finished. 1 is amazing though, I don't know how any DMC fan could actually dislike it.
>>
>>320547927
Are you being fucking serious right now bro? Literally nothing DMC3 and DMC4 have can touch Nightmare 3 and Mundus 2 on DMD in terms of difficulty. Good job showing you mashed your way through Normal mode.
>>
>>320548671
It wasnt, Kamiya was taken off DMC to make Viewtiful Joe and Itsuno wasnt brought into the picture until laaaate development
>>
>>320548990
Who directed DMC2 then?
>>
>>320548470
DMC1 is easily the best to actually play through though. It's generally flows well from beginning to end.

DMC4 has the best combat yes, but it's a great combat system trapped in a pretty bad game. People may say that the quality of the campaign doesn't matter, but in DMC4 its either that or the shitty BP mode to actually experience the combat.
>>
File: dmc (2).jpg (335 KB, 661x531) Image search: [Google]
dmc (2).jpg
335 KB, 661x531
I love 1 and 3 for different reasons.

1 has atmosphere and immersion on a level the rest of the series doesn't. It tells you a story through pure level design and the odd piece of flavour text. Mallet Island is a place with a THICK sense of history, with the echoes of court music from the 1500s playing in fragments in the ambiance, the design of enemies or the layout of the castle. It's all background to Dante's quest of beating Mundus and has little importance to the plot, but creates such an amazing sense of a world. It's saturated in genuine occult symbolism and allusion too, all period accurate and more real world. Sadly, the combat is lacking the speed that characterises the gameplay later on, and it's still got a foot in survival horror territory.

3 is the opposite. The combat is furious and so amazingly good that I don't think any hack n slash has surpassed it yet. There's a real encouragement of player creativity and replaying it is always a chance to try out a loadout or style you neglected. The plot is better and I think Dante only really came to life as a character in 3. The atmosphere is lacking a little, and while Temen Ni Gru is apparently this really cool location older than time, a lot of it feels like a gussied up collection of obstacles (like the trial rooms were you get Artemis, or the railways between Beowulf's fight, or the Levithan's anus).

I think that I like 3 more than 1 overall, but I LOVE 1's setting and detail.

4 has more complex combat, but everything else is a step down.
>>
>>320549090
>DMC1 is easily the best to actually play through though. It's generally flows well from beginning to end.
Nope, that would be DMC3.
>>
>>320549079
Some fag no one knows, DMC2 was being developed as a separate game before Capcom decided to slap the Devil May Cry name on it.
>>
>>320548564
>>320548671
>>320548990
>>320549079
No one headed the design. Itsuno was put on as director to take what the team had been dicking around with, slapped a "story" on top, and sent it out. Kamiya didn't even know it was being worked on until it was well into development, and even if he wasn't working on it, there should have been some sort of announcement that informed everyone at the studio that a new game was in the works. It just sorta accidentally went into production...

But, look at it this way, the reason 3 was so good was because 2 was a testing ground for it. There's prototype versions of the styles in there, and while the map is fucking empty and enemies aren't nearly aggressive enough, there's a fluidity and speed to combat that 1 didn't have.
>>
>>320538779
what got me hooked to DMC1 was the disparity between Dante and the Gothic horror world around him.

Despite all the crazy supernatural phenomenon going on Dante remained confident and unphased.

It was like putting Duke Nukem in Silent Hill.
>>
>>320549593
They should release a documentary or something about DMC2's development, I'm sure it'd be funny to see.
>>
>>320549628
Well Dante is a half demon. I would think he's seen shit like that before.
>>
>>320540334
As a fan of Metroid and similar games, I really liked how DMC1 worked. I just wish it was even bigger with more hidden stuff.

Atmosphere felt great too. You landed in an old castle in daylight, explored the area, fought powerful enemies and took on the Phantom who had his own personality. After that, you ventured into the nearby forest/countryside, explored an underwater cavern, and fought the Griffon. And finally, when you get back to the castle, it's night, and things have moved around, with a lot of the damage done to it restored, some doors are missing, and some new ones are added, playing tricks on you. You fight the Nightmare, finish off the masked warrior who's challenged you all game, and finally open a portal to hell to confront the final boss.

Every other DMC just felt kind of bland in comparison.
>>
>>320549824
but not the audience.

DMC1 did something special in that Dante took us by the arm and dragged us kicking and screaming "Showtime!"

It made me a lot braver and I was able to finish the game.
>>
>>320549628
>It was like putting Duke Nukem in Silent Hill.

Whicb is exactly what made DMC1 so cool, contrast.

The series completely lost track of this though. Vergil in DMC3 was cool I guess, but the series got too focused on everything being cool, instead of just Dante. When everything is cool, it loses impact. Dante is made truly cool by his enviroment.
>>
>>320549982
I think a reason I like DMC1 Dante the best is because of the range of emotions he portrays. He is still a badass but shows fear, anger, sorrow, regret, as well as being able to be serious.
>>
DMC1 is by far my favourite. Yeah sure the combat in 3 is better, but it feels fucking pointless when the enemies are bland, non-aggressive punchbags. The enemies in 1 actually try to fuck your shit up. I can't think of any standard enemy in 3 that compares to the Shadows.
>>
>>320538779
I don't like it because it's mechanically simple and has no style.

Only good games are DMC3/4
>>
>>320549628
>>320549982
I know that feel.
I remember seeing a guide for DMC before I got my hands on the game. I was probably 8 at the time and Resident Evil 2 had traumatized the shit out of me. It looked really horrific and frightening. Then you play it and you're kicking everything's ass as a guy who acts like Bugs Bunny.

Looking back on it now, it even does a whole lot to go against that romantic gothic tradition; you have a character whose backstory is all grimdark "MUH MOTHER" revenge stuff. It's all the makings of an edgy 90s anti-hero who's too dark for you to understand. He's half demon, his evil twin hates his guts, he never had a father, his whole world is infested by demons, etc etc.
Does he wallow and whine? No. Not once. When he does show emotion, it's quickly followed by a one-liner, an explosion and a fucking guitar solo. Most protagonists in worlds like that are people you'd want to avoid at all costs. But Dante? You'd go on a pub crawl with him and he's most definitely not get laughed out of any bars.
>>
>>320549859
I agree with all of this.

DMC1 is the only one in the series that give you a sense of space and progression. It is a very linear game, but it never feels linear. It feels like you are really exploring the castle in DMC1.

DMC3 and 4 feel like a bunch of arbitrary levels that comes off as gauntlet runs. They tried to make the tower in DMC3 feel like a real place, but it never did. You never really got a sense of working your way to the top.
>>
>>320550628
Funny thing, RE2 was also made by Kamiya.
>>
>>320550382
It also has no grace.
>>
>>320538779
No one really brushes off DMC1, it's just so different from 3 and 4 that they are barely comparable.
It's like comparing Jak and Daxter:TPL to Jak 2 and Jak 3.
>>
>>320551040
no.
>>
>>320551448
you don't have a funny face
>>
>>320538779

I like the game but fuck that camera, seriously.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.