[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a Castlevania thread? Let's talk Castlevania.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: castlevania.jpg (264 KB, 661x1000) Image search: [Google]
castlevania.jpg
264 KB, 661x1000
Can we have a Castlevania thread?

Let's talk Castlevania.

>Favorite
>Least favorite
>best music

hard mode:

>Favorite piece of music
>>
>>320467523
Amazing Picture
>>
>>320467523
Castlevania is dead. Konami is dead. We're never getting Julius's game set in 1999.

>Favorite Music

Either Mad Forest or Room of close Associates.
>>
Castlevania HD (Harmony of Dispair) will always be my favorite, spent more time on that game than id like to say :^)
>>
>Order of Ecclesia
>Mirror of Fate
>SotN
>>
>>320469605
IMO a julius game was always a bad idea.
>>
>>320467523
>Circle of the Moon
>Lords of Shadow 2
>Circle of the Moon

>Catacombs theme (CotM)
>>
Out of the classic Castlevania games

Rondo of Blood > New Generation > Dracula's Curse > Chronicles > Castlevania > Vampire's Kiss > Super Castlevania IV > Simon's Quest
>>
>>320467523
>Aria of Sorrow Julius Mode
>of ones I've played, probably 64/Legacy of Darkness, though I still love them
>can't decide, just about every game is top notch all around

>pretty much any version of Divine Bloodlines. My first Castlevania game was 64, and the version in it will forever be ingrained in my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vgBwLE-SUo
>>
>Favorite
Aria. I also have a soft spot for the first game

>Least Favorite
Lords of Shadow 2. Too fucking tedious and shit. Alternatively, Harmony of Dissonance.

>Music
Symphony got this.

>Hard mode
Lost Painting. Such a beautiful song.

Shame the series is dead as fuck. Gee thanks, Konami.
>>
File: x68kvscv4.jpg (243 KB, 748x398) Image search: [Google]
x68kvscv4.jpg
243 KB, 748x398
Daily reminder that Super Castlevania is shit.
>>
Only played a handful sadly - Castlevania (NES), Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. Of these:

>Best
Tie between Aria of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin

>Least favorite
Dawn of Sorrow. Compared to Aria it just doesn't match up. Ecclesia was saved by Dracula's Castle

>Favorite piece of music
'Condemned Tower' from Dawn of Sorrow

I really need to play Symphony of the Night one of these days
>>
File: 1399957096416.jpg (174 KB, 526x387) Image search: [Google]
1399957096416.jpg
174 KB, 526x387
AWWW SHIIIIIITT!!

POST YOUR FAVORITE TRACKS NOW, /v/!!
Are you looking forward to Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night?
What do you hope to see?
>>
>>320475656
no, you're shit.
>>
File: 1428054995690.jpg (50 KB, 556x561) Image search: [Google]
1428054995690.jpg
50 KB, 556x561
>>320467523

>no nathan graves
>>
>>320475656
come on now. I'm a Bloodlines>SCIV fanboy and even I know you're full of shit.

IMO both are the pinnacle of Classicvania
>>
>>320477640

Non. Canon.
>>
Bloodlines and Rondo are the best games, everything from SotN and beyond can fuck off the edge of my dick. If I wanted to play a Metroid game, I would play Metroid. As far as I'm concerned, those games are a different series entirely.
>>
>>320477225
man how could anyone choose a single favorite.

I guess House of Sacred Remains was pretty cool, if I'm gonna pick something that isnt the usual ones.

>bloodstained

I'm looking forward to it.

Already it seems IGA is handling it much better than Inafune is handling Mighty No. 9.

For various reasons, not the least of which is, most likely- inafune was never actually a game designer, just a passionate character artist- and even then he hasn't actually done that in any great detail since the 80's, and hasnt been in the nitty gritty of directing since the late 90's, while IGA was a programmer, AND has continued to produce and make games since Rondo, to this day, even while making Bloodstained- which isnt his attempt at making his own studio, just his try at making his own personal game. He has no intention of quitting his job at that mobile company. (they were even chill enough to let him work on his own games on the side without trying to own the rights)

the proof of concept gameplay video seemed promising too.

IGA and his folks always had a very keen eye for visuals
>>
>>320477640
Upper right corner
>>
>>320477709

one day I Will shatter this earths very notion of canon. I will make everyone realize it's all just a bunch of kids playing with their dolls anyway.
>>
File: soma.jpg (1 MB, 1600x3116) Image search: [Google]
soma.jpg
1 MB, 1600x3116
>>320477836
SotN and Aria of Sorrow are the only 2 worthwhile ones anyway.
>>
>>320475656
it's a fucking miracle both exist tbf (to be frank)

how often do you get two remakes done in different and equally great ways?
>>
>>320478568
>miracle
>CV1 remakes

its really not.

there's a bunch of different interpretations or remakes of 1.
>>
>>320478782
But the two that anon posted are the only/best ones afaik
>>
Why do Americans love Castlevania IV? It was a shit game on a shit, weak console.
>>
File: castlevania (2).jpg (454 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
castlevania (2).jpg
454 KB, 700x990
>>320479383
because it was a pretty cool game. It had a fuckload of atmosphere.

the US got the gimped CV3, not the fantastic sound chipped version.

We also didnt get Rondo, just Dracula X, which was shit, and most of the castlevania fanbase stuck to Nintendo because the games were on that platform as far as they knew.

So, for many Americans, SCIV was simply the best CV game they ever got to play as kids, and didnt get to play Bloodlines or the real Rondo till much later, by which point its too damn late
>>
>>320479712
>tfw the west STILL hasn't gotten a proper release of VRC CV3
>>
>>320479712
Yeah, Nintendo was popular in America from what I hear, comparative to Sega in Australia. I guess it's easy so it was probably the only CV game that yank kids were able to finish. I played it afterwards when I got a Super Nintendo and was unimpressed. It's much slower and more tedious than the Famicom games, the music is much worse, there are no extra characters like in Dracula's Curse, Rondo and New Generation, and there are no branching paths, so there is little replayability.
>>
>>320479935
for whatever reason, SNES was the US console of choice while Genesis was in Europe.

I wonder why. Marketing?

also, theres nothing wrong with SCIV having no alternate characters or paths, its basically a CV1 remake.

it DID however, set the standard for having multi directional whipping and better stair controls, something both Bloodlines and Rondo would draw from. (Bloodlines with moderate directional whipping and whip grappling, and Rondo with it's fluid control)

it was easy though. the super long whip reach and directional whipping made sub weapons useless
>>
>>320467523
Castlevania 3 or Aria
Lords of Shadow
SotN
Wandering Ghosts
>>
>>320467523

>Favorite
Rondo of blood
>Least favorite
Chronicles on PS1
>best music
Circle of the moon or maybe Harmony of despair
>>
>>320480387
Oh yeah, I forgot that you guys were forced to rename the Mega Drive. How unfortunate for you. It wasn't advertising, it was brand recognition. Sega made popular arcade games and the Master System was probably their biggest success, even greater than the Mega Drive. Most people in Australia had Sega consoles or used computers for games. The problem with the lack of content in IV is that it came out after Dracula's Curse, being a remake isn't an excuse for a poor game.
What do you mean fluid control in Rondo? Do you mean Maria?
>>
>all this Lords of Shadow hate

I thought the first one was pretty good
>>
>>320481092
Too much story, too many QTEs, boring combat.
>>
>>320481053
>being a remake isn't an excuse for a poor game.
its not a poor game though. it does no more no less than what it sets out to do.
>>
>>320481293
I liked it.

but then again I liked Lament.

also,

>Too much story

have we been playing the same franchise? it's been nothing BUT bogged down with lore and plot since Symphony. LoS simply had more cutscenes about it.
>>
>>320481321
It is a poor game. There's no real challenge, not against bosses, not in platforming, and not in completing a stage, the music sucks and it's not fun to play.
>>
>>320481408
I've only played Aria and Dawn of Sorrow so far out of the Metroid style games. Cutscenes are awful and don't belong in games, maybe at the beginning and/or end, but not IN games.
>>
>>320481461
thats just like, your opinion, man.

4's not my favorite, but it's fun enough for me.
>>
>>320481092
I liked LoS but it should have stayed away from being called Castlevania. Lots of great area's and scenery, great music and interesting enemies but it didn't have enough to be a successful entry to the Castlevania franchise. CV64 did a better job.
>>
File: 500px-Barlowelarge[1].jpg (31 KB, 500x433) Image search: [Google]
500px-Barlowelarge[1].jpg
31 KB, 500x433
>>320467523
HOW DARE YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55vpmYsm3mc
>>
File: gabriel-20.jpg (104 KB, 612x720) Image search: [Google]
gabriel-20.jpg
104 KB, 612x720
>>320481703
>but it didn't have enough
enough what exactly?

practically every single enemy and boss is from the large collection of Castlevania Monsters. Like, 99%.

The locations, similarly, are staple Classicvania locations. (Except for hell, but Dawn of Sorrow did that so it gets a pass)

The little "atmospheric" music there is, is orchestrated Classicvania music.

and most of the plot points are either typical cliches for what it is, or also Castlevania.

>muh love interest
>Im gonna go kill monsters to get her back and kill evil

only twists in that formula are Zobek and Satan, and the OH SO SHOCKING tweest post credits.

Honestly, LoS was overflowing with castlevania. Even the combat was derived from other castlevanias. (whip spinning was a thing, the combat was a hack and slashy version of Lament's combat, taking into account Gabriel's fate, he even tosses fireballs if you use shadow magic with daggers, he grapples with the whip) Gabriel's own design is CV2 Simon

I hated the QTE's too, but they didnt ruin it for me.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.