[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will it be shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10
File: Homefront,_The_Revolution_logo.jpg (28 KB, 300x336) Image search: [Google]
Homefront,_The_Revolution_logo.jpg
28 KB, 300x336
Will it be shit?
>>
Literally who. How did the first game make enough money to warrant a sequel?
>>
>>320453165
THQ went under, Crytek bought rights dirt cheap.
>>
Probably won't be anything new or innovative but it looks to be decent fun
>>
Probably gonna end up being Far Cry in a city unless they actually do something interesting.

I've still got my eye open, but I don't really care about it until we get gameplay.
>>
File: Freedom_Fighters.jpg (58 KB, 310x440) Image search: [Google]
Freedom_Fighters.jpg
58 KB, 310x440
>>320453046
Looks like a sequel to this
>>
Of course
>>
What's going to make this game anything other than another shooter?
>>
>>320453046

Of course.
>>
>Crytek
They make tech demos, not games. It's probably going to be competent and mediocre.
>>
>>320453450
XCOM 2 is more of a sequel to thid
>>
>playing the first homefront mp
>rank 19
>level up
>20
>beeboop
>achievement for hitting level 50
>achievement for 75
>back out to lobby
>apparently im the highest rank
>all guns, no sights or camo for them

I felt kinda robbed, but it was fun multiplayer.
>>
>>320453559
Naw. Totally different genre
>>
played the demo at a convention
it's complete shit

also the PS4 demo had loading times of over a minute and framerate couldn't keep a stable 30
>>
>>320453450
No, it is a sequel to the first Homefront. Which had so much unwarranted hype for a generic looking shooter about china taking over america.
>>
Is it still north korea taking over US?
>>
>>320453529
This is made by Crytek UK, who are Free Radical who made Timesplitters
>>
>>320453046

I dont know. Are there any gameplay videos of the new version? I heard it got major changes with the developer switch. When Crytek had it it looked meh.
>>
>>320454113
Yes and They took over USA in this game
>>
>>320454113
US got taken over and now you're some guerilla group fighting for freedumbs
>>
>>320454297
So it is terrorism the game?

It suddenly got more interesting.
>>
>>320454351
>>320454297
Please let there be IEDs.
>>
>>320453046
It's made by the remnants of Free Radical, so I really hope it isn't
>>
>>320454462
there are IEDs and RC cars with explosives
>>
Running on CryEngine, the best engine on the market.

Developed by remnants of Free Radical/Crytek UK, who co-developed the deeply underrated Crysis 3.

What could go wrong? CryEngine is literally made from win.
>>
>>320453450
Anon, don't play with my hopes and dreams like that.
>>
File: 1446567117669.png (38 KB, 142x132) Image search: [Google]
1446567117669.png
38 KB, 142x132
>>320453046
>a premise so ridiculous it poisons sales
>a dev cycle that nearly tanked due to be jacked by random managers
>gets a sequel
I love shooters, but this franchise could have sunk into the sea for all it's worth.
>>
>>320454378
It's based around the movie Red Dawn.
>>
File: maxresdefault1.jpg (406 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault1.jpg
406 KB, 1920x1080
>>320454792
>CryEngine, the best engine on the market.
BAwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

No.
>>
>>320455087
Unreal 4 has possibly the shittiest shadowing on the planet. Have you SEEN its games in action? Outside of bullshots? CryEngine is more advanced technologically, better optimised (Sonic doesn't count because they fucked the engine), and has far more flexible tools. Crytek have always been ahead of the competition when it comes to tech and performance. CryEngine 1 was better than id Tech 4 and Source. CryEngine 2 was better than Unreal 3. CryEngine 3/they've stopped using numbers is better than Unreal 4.

We're talking about the developer who invented ambient occlusion, here.
>>
>>320455418
>Have you SEEN its games in action?

Have you SEEN Star Citizen in action?

You're so fucking wrong it hurts.
>>
File: dracula face c.png (54 KB, 151x165) Image search: [Google]
dracula face c.png
54 KB, 151x165
>>320454792
>What could go wrong? CryEngine is literally made from win.

I know this is bait but you shit mang
>>
>>320454156
But they they haven't done anything good since then. Remember Haze? Also Crytek UK went under halfway into development and now it's picked up by Deep Silver's new studio that has some of the same personnel
>>
>>320455418
CryEngine is absolute shit to develop for. Unreal Engine 4's pipeline and documentation are far superior. Unreal 4 has also far surpassed it in terms of optimization
>>
>>320453250
And then Crytek almost went under, and had to sell it off to stay alive.

This shit is cursed.
>>
>>320455418
Are you kidding? Devs are litterally flocking to Unreal 4 from Cryengine because of how shitty it is
>>
File: 1446690874829.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1446690874829.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>320455087
>Unreal
>good since 2.0
Everybody remembers how hideously bad texture pop-in was in for years after 3.0 hit the market.
It's so bloated today that third parties fumble to get decent frame rates out of it.

I miss Monolith. LithTech at least kept the guys over at iD and Epic honest.
>>
>>320456413
Haze was terrible cause EA and Sony pushed them to release that turd
>>
File: American_Freedom_Fighter.jpg (59 KB, 423x500) Image search: [Google]
American_Freedom_Fighter.jpg
59 KB, 423x500
>>320453450
Based fucking game. Best fking Soundtrack and atmosphere!

Jespyr Kyd's stuff in this game is fking 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDx2gIlme3w

>That OST
>That Speech
>Freedom Phantom

Sequel literally when
>>
>>320455418
Crytek is a shitty company, they've been on the verge of bankruptcy for almost a decade, make terrible games. And over-hype their mediocre game engine.
>>
>>320453046
Why won't this thing die? The first one blew chunks and it's clear that the IP is cursed. Just let it go.
>>
>>320454351

Wasn't that what you were doing in the first game?
>>
>>320453046
Played it at Twitchcon.

It was shit. Fucking shitty pseudo open world bullshit. Plus the gunplay is ass
>>
yes.
>loved the massive multiplayer and point system
>they placed more focus on the open world
>>
>>320457476

That Freedom Speech , just before the final assault on Fort Jay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV3u9Tt9Oe8

The gameplay was fucking amazing. Each level had an amazing, distinctive style to it.

You literally fight throughout each season, from summer, to winter. Levels were dynamic and interacted with each other.

Attacking the Police Station and getting your ass kicked by Russian Heli? Fuck it, go back into the sewers and go to the docks instead. Destroy the helipads and fueling stations at docks and that will change the air support response time next time you attack the police station.

The charisma mechanic was pretty fucking cool too. Literally start of with 1 or 2 guys and the more charisma you get the more militia soldiers you can recruit. by the time you reach the later levels, you literally control over 20 soldiers by yourself.

Seriously, can't fucking believe Eidos decided working on Kane and Lynch instead of a sequel to this (especially with that ending), was a good fucking idea
>>
>>320455418

You're exactly right, but sadly the reason many people are disagreeing with you is simply because Unreal 4 is easier to develop for.

I remember the Crytek devs saying that no game would match Crysis 3 in graphics for at least two years, and they were exactly right. Crytek is a godly company, definitely a shame to see them losing out to Unreal.
>>
>>320456659
>CryEngine is absolute shit to develop for.
Says people who couldn't be bothered learning how it works because they grew up with Unreal. CryEngine is designed around its editor as a sandbox. You hit a button, and the game is running.
>>
>>320453450
IO pls give sequel
I like Hitman as much as any other lad but I want more of THE guerilla warfare for America with actions that affect other parts of the level
>>
>>320456905
>Are you kidding? Devs are litterally flocking to Unreal 4 from Cryengine because of how shitty it is
Name a single dev who actively went from CryEngine to Unreal 4 and cited the engine as a reason.
>>
>>320454168
>>320453412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnPbjc1M2ts
meh
>>
File: Crysis-3_Extreme_04.jpg (276 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Crysis-3_Extreme_04.jpg
276 KB, 1920x1080
>>320456659
>Unreal 4 is for casual babies who have never used professional tools in their entire life!
>It's so much better in performance
Yeah just replace your prebaked lighting with real-time dynamic lighting and watch your 60FPS demo of a table with Subsurface scattering tank to 5 FPS.
>>320456905
>Devs are literally flocking to Unreal 4 from Cryengine
What devs? CryEngine has never been a popular dev platform because it's always been unfriendly to non-power users
>>320456043
>Hey guys check out our space sim, it looks so good thanks to the unreal level at technology that comes with Unreal Engine 4 (tm)
>Meanwhile Elite Dangerous runs on a scratch-made engine, looks a lot better and isn't vaporware early access shit that never got finished

Meanwhile in a 2 year old game
>>
>>320457517
>Crytek is a shitty company, they've been on the verge of bankruptcy for almost a decade, make terrible games. And over-hype their mediocre game engine.
Name a single bad Crytek game.

Far Cry was great. Crysis 1, 2, and 3 were all great. Ryse is fantastic on PC. Without Crytek, nobody would have their precious ambient occlusion in their games, and Ubisoft wouldn't have that shitty CryEngine knock-off they used for their shitty Far Cry games.
>>
>>320457027
I fucking love Unreal Engine 2. Everything feels so clean and smooth.
>>
>>320458730
and that fucking OST man. To me, Freedom Fighters was Jespyr Kyd's greatest work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmegCkd5LqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCpvHnGvNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFAAbIDoe2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxiE5Pz-62s
>>
>>320457476
Jespyr Kyd is the shit my nigger excellent taste
>>
>>320458862
>Yeah just replace your prebaked lighting with real-time dynamic lighting

So much this. People laud over how UE4 is the greatest most optimized thing like it's the second coming of idtech 1, when in fact it owes that performance to PREBAKED SHADOWS.

UE4 isn't impressive in the slightest.
>>
>>320458474
>You're exactly right, but sadly the reason many people are disagreeing with you is simply because Unreal 4 is easier to develop for.
It's very difficult to break a monopoly when your engine is fundamentally different. Unreal stems from a totally different design philosophy to CryEngine. CryEngine SDK literally creates new maps as a plane of water. The thing was originally built for open worlds with a separate visible-area system for doing interiors. People who grew up with Quake and Unreal and all that don't like having to throw all their knowledge out the window to learn a new engine philosophy. Fallout 4 would be amazing on CryEngine, for example, but there's no way Bethesda were ever going to drop the engine design they knew.
>>
>>320456043
>Have you SEEN Star Citizen in action?
You do realise Star Citizen is a CryEngine game, right? Why are you defending Unreal 4 using a CryEngine game?
>>
>>320458757
Looks pretty decent honestly.
Definitely looks more interesting than far cry 2 or 3 were.
>>
>>320458862
what i dont like about unreal is the preset things it gives users. ive seen some people download it for the first time and put the premade texture with all its materials premade on a premade model and act like game development is easy
>>
>>320459624
>what i dont like about unreal is the preset things it gives users. ive seen some people download it for the first time and put the premade texture with all its materials premade on a premade model and act like game development is easy
Fuck Unreal's default shader libraries that make every game look the fucking same. Fuck Unreal 3's texture pop-in and stuttering on PC that afflicted basically every Unreal 3 game ever.
>>
>>320457749
>game isnt linear but not an open world farcry rip off
>le pseudo open world so bad xD
>>
File: stop.png (97 KB, 350x337) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
97 KB, 350x337
>>320459624
>Haha hey guys game development is so easy!
>cool have you tried the cryengine sdk
>OMG THIS IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIGURE OUT UGH UNREAL IS SO MUCH BETTER
>MFW
>>
>>320458923
warface :^)
>>
>>320457749
>Pseudo open world bullshit
So Crysis where it is actually a linear hallway, just a very wide hallway?
>>
File: mogwai-gremlins.jpg (58 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
mogwai-gremlins.jpg
58 KB, 852x480
>>320459950
>I'm making a P.T. remake for PC!
>You should try CryEngine. It basically INVENTED a lot of the graphics techniques Fox Engine uses.
>Oh, no, I'm using Unreal 4.
>Oh, no, I'm using Unity.
Game development is dead. People make these Unity games, and then complain because the performance is shit. Why? Why? Why does the crappiest middleware always win?
>>
>>320460216
Because Unity and UE4 don't require effort. It's always a crapshoot, you see.

A developer who can use CryEngine will see their game through to the finish. They have the gumption, drive and skill to learn the SDK.

But with Unity? Well fuck, any chucklefuck with C++ for dummies and a few youtube tutorials can make a game with that! There's no guarantee that the author is game making material.
>>
>>320460216
Because Crytek cant do business for shit?
Tried to take the console market with crysis 2 3 and fail again and again. Tried to enter the mmo shooter market with spectacular result. Make timed exclusive tech demo for a ded console which effectively became the prequel for Order 1886. No engine on mobile/tablet. Late to the Skyrim train and attempt at ripping off Far Cry whilst Far Cry's popularity is sinking.
RIP Crytek, you will forever be remembered as the tech demo guy.
>>
>>320461330
>the console market with crysis 2 3
Stale meme.
>>
>>320461330
>Tried to take the console market with crysis 2 3
Crysis 2 and 3 are technologically superior to Crysis 1 in every single way. They put a crapload of effort in the PC versions, which were the lead versions. Ryse was a great game on PC.

>Late to the Skyrim train and attempt at ripping off Far Cry whilst Far Cry's popularity is sinking.
It's not like Homefront 1 exists or anything.
>>
>>320453046
>fps made after 1997

Safe bet it will be
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.