[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some games that failed so bad that it's just hilarious?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: Bureau_XCOM_Declassified_cover.png (124 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
Bureau_XCOM_Declassified_cover.png
124 KB, 300x360
What are some games that failed so bad that it's just hilarious?

>was originally just called XCOM
>so disregarded that there's a game coming out next year called XCOM 2 that isn't even a sequel to it
>>
>>320405495
Remember when they had to add in some strategy elements last minute to try and appease fans?
>>
>>320405495
>>so disregarded that there's a game coming out next year called XCOM 2 that isn't even a sequel to it

that's because it's a spin off and not an actual X-Com title
>>
calling it now: XCOM 3 will be a real-time shooter
>>
>>320405790
I know, but they were seriously gonna just call it XCOM until all the backlash.

Now we realize it really was supposed to be a spinoff, but no one knew of Enemy Unknown yet.
>>
Was this game shit, I never got round to trying it.
>>
>>320405904
>but no one knew of Enemy Unknown yet.
what?
>>
>>320405905
It's alright
>>
>>320406132
That was the disaster, "XCOM" was announced before Enemy Unknown. The reboot, I'm not talking about UFO: Enemy Unknown.
>>
>>320405495
man that's a shitty cover
>>
>>320405495
I really liked this game, I probably have more hours in it than anybody else in the world does.

it got a legitimate great twist near the end of the game
>>
>>320405905
Not bad, plays like a stripped down Mass Effect with fedora physics
>>
>>320405905
I got it for free and got bored of it after getting past the first mission. It wasn't godawful, but nothing about the game felt even remotely satisfying to play.

What was the big twist in the game that all of the reviews raised a stink about, anyway?
>>
>>320406253
the fuck are you talking about, i was playing enemy unknown and watching videos laughing at how bad the bureau was gonna be
>>
>>320406583
Announced, not released. I know it's confusing, but that's how retarded it was. The Bureau was announced as "XCOM" before Enemy Unknown was announced, which is why everyone flipped their shit. Then Enemy Unknown was announced after, and even came out first.
>>
>>320406565
DId they? I dont remember they did.

the twist is that the character you play as throughout the game goes so insane that they quarantine him and put somebody else to finish the job. you finish the game as one of the side characters that you hire.
>>
>>320406583
i think he means the spinoff was announced before EU and before the title was changed to Bureau but I don't remember that
>>
This game is fucking FUN.
Put 22 hours into it, sad it wont get a sequel just because of XCOM fanboys tearing it up
>no endgame content though
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-16+at+08.43.08).jpg (24 KB, 484x157) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-16+at+08.43.08).jpg
24 KB, 484x157
>>320406890
>22 hours

git on muh level
>>
I remember this shit.

There was an initial teaser announcement trailer, after there not being anything XCOM for years, where its just some shitty looking FPS with black goo. Literally only XCOM in name.

There was a pretty significant backlash of generally "What the fuck is this shit", at which point it disappeared completely. Then eventually XCOM: Enemy Unknown got announced and nobody gave a shit about whatever happened to the shitty looking FPS.

Then The Bureau got announced and everyone had a right proper laugh.
>>
>>320405905
I played through the first mission, thought it was absolute shit.
>>
>>320407178
>Install

That's the problem with it. Enemy Unknown doesn't get uninstalled because it has insane replay value.
>>
>>320405905
pretty much trash.
>>
File: udraw.jpg (98 KB, 800x439) Image search: [Google]
udraw.jpg
98 KB, 800x439
>>320405495
Remember how the uDraw did fine on the wii, but introducing it to x360 and ps3 made THQ go bankrupt and pretty much killed red faction? lol
>>
>>320406223
if you like running around and doing nothing but reviving your stupid ass teamates and never getting to shoot anything.
>>
>>320407804
It was a great story campaign, the 10 bucks I payed was well worth it.
>>
>>320408189
I don't but then again I'm not terrible so I didn't have to.
>>
>>320408154
How the fuck did it bankrupt them? Did it just sell that little on those systems?
>>
I was looking forward to XCOM Alliance back in the 90's, but Microprose killed that one in the end. Who knows, maybe it could've been good.
>>
>>320408318
I'm not terrible.
I guess you played on easy or normal. All they do is die on harder difficulties.
>>
I quite liked The Bureau. Even if it is an extremely poor man's Mass Effect.

The 4th wall shit at the end was massively unexpected. I was kind of sad that Carter is actually a bit of a cunt and wanted me dead.
>>
One word: Brink.
>>
>>320408471
yeah it caused about a 50 million dollar loss. To be fair, Homefront was also released in the same year
>>
>>320408643
I can't believe I was actually super hyped up for that
>>
>>320405904
What backlash? Literally no one was upset about it, it was a spinoff announced at the same time as the normal X-COM reboot. The game changed for the better, it looked weird and boring as a Bioshock clone with goo aliens but making it a tactical third person squad shooter with typical X-Com enemies ended up a decent game.
>>
>ctrl + F
>Remember me
>0 hits
Never fails to bring a smile.
>>
>>320408643
Again, Brink was a good game. It sadly died however because it sold poorly and there wasn't enough incentive to keep playing once you maxed level.
>>
>>320409125
No, dude, it wasn't. It really wasn't a good game. It was barely playable and a complete mess.

There's a reason Dirty Bomb is doing a whole lot better while Brink died out about two weeks into release. Even Evolve lasted longer.
>>
>>320405495

The original premise was much better. Yea, it wasn't anything like the original series, but at least it was trying some cool ideas with the blend of Pod People like enemies, abstract enemy designs, and X-Files-like atmosphere.

>huuuuuuuuuuuuurrr, let's just make it like the other game being made, but you control one guy instead of ordering each character strategically
>>
>>320409362
My experience with it was pretty good. I enjoyed the gameplay and I didn't experience anything broken on the 360 version.

>There's a reason Dirty Bomb is doing a whole lot better

F2P has a lot to do with that. Dirty Bomb is good but I doubt it would have had as good a success if it was full price.
>>
Since this is now Xcom thread has anyone seen a video showing off carrying fallen comrades? (minus the e3 video)
>>
>>320409773
Beagle's Blacksite video has some in it
>>
>>320406565
The twist was that the guy you were playing as had been possessed by an Ethereal from the beginning, but it didn't even realize it wasn't human until another Ethereal tried to contact it, so they lock you up and then the last mission has a bunch of branching choices involving who to play as and whether or not the Ethereal will decide to help the humans or not. It was a direct prequel to Enemy Unknown, the endings all involve covering up the invasion and secretly preparing the X-Com division for the future.
>>
>>320409921

And yet it probably won't matter at all now since XCOM 2 is ignoring 99.9% of the previous game
>>
Every time I kept seeing the cover, I thought it was some shitty Call of Duty spinoff. The boxart certainly has that pretentious look of the CoD covers.
>>
>>320410679
its not a good game. people will shit all over fo4 and praise a piece of shit like this to be contrarian.
>>
>>320410679
>that pretentious look of the CoD covers
>>
>>320410890

Who's praising, though?
>>
>>320410956
theres alot itt I seem to be the only one telling it like it is.
>>
>>320410932

Plenty of the CoD games have had pretentious covers, ranging from the "heart wrenching soldier sitting in darkness" to "clever" shit like MW3's "World War 3" bullshit with the letters.

This game even thinks it's cute with the blackened out bits
>>
>>320411142
You are a moron
>>
>>320411231

Get fucked, covers like that fit the term of pretentious, you retarded nigger
>>
The Ethereals plot twist was pretty fun though.
>>
>>320411142
Least intelligent post I've seen all day.
>>
>>320411346
how so?
>>
File: Same bastard.jpg (70 KB, 560x400) Image search: [Google]
Same bastard.jpg
70 KB, 560x400
>>320411460
>>320411231

Nice samefag.
>>
>>320411526
Nice shitpost
>>
>>320411609

The only one shitposting is you since you have no argument and just disagree for no reason. The Bureau cover and some of the CoD covers are pretentious because they try to look meaningful when they aren't
>>
>>320411738
>because they try to look meaningful
no they don't
>>
I really liked the idea of this game's setting at least. Classic Cold War settings with CIA fuckery are great, adding in aliens to give it that Roswell conspiracy feel was even greater. Shame the game itself was just kind of mediocre.

I'd almost kind of like to see this game's setting handled in a actual X-COM game instead of a tactical shooter. They could load the game up with old 50's scifi movie tropes like theremin music, handsome scientists in white lab coats smoking pipes, and cheesy as fuck looking aliens.
>>
>>320411905

Yes, they do. The Bureau one tries to look like a retard's interpretation of what they think actual classified shit looks like. And several of the newer CoD covers try to evoke some kind of emotion with the dour looking dude sitting in darkness even when the game is nonstop retarded action.

Get fucked. Both games are shit
>>
>>320412040
You attribute meaning to weird things, are you autistic?
>>
>>320411526
how do you know?
>>
>>320412040
I doubt the bureau was trying to be completely serious with that, it was probably tongue in cheek.
>>
>>320412040
> dour looking dude sitting in darkness
>pretentious
if anything it give a vibe of mystery, hence the name "black ops" and the TWEESSSTTTT.
>>
>>320412138

And you contribute nothing to the thread, making you a shitposter.

>>320412201

It was pretty bad, though. Lazy design at its finest.

>>320412413

It's still pretty terrible when a series with awful writing thinks it can evoke emotion
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.