[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yakuza
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65
File: image.jpg (233 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233 KB, 1920x1080
What are you doing in Yakuza 5?

Tips for people interested in getting into the series: Don't fucking start with 5, you idiot. Ideally you'd start with the first game and work your way up. If you're impatient, there's nothing wrong with starting with 3 or 4. Zero is a prequel to the series, and the upcoming Kiwami is a remake of the first game.
>>
I got tired of doing jobs as Haruka around the 30th one, so I'm just going to go on in the story.

>That fucking Gentleman magazine interview
>>
>tfw in the middle of 2
>tfw really tempted to just jump to 4.

PLEASE JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP
>>
>>320380260
you'd be a fool to leave the best game in the middle.
>>
>>320380260
Don't
>>
File: image.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
263 KB, 1920x1080
WE AKIYAMA NOW
>>
File: 1409226030717.gif (3 MB, 4500x3999) Image search: [Google]
1409226030717.gif
3 MB, 4500x3999
The taxi missions as Kiryu, spent 10 hours going around doing everything there is in Nagusai. Going on to do my favorite part of the first part now.
>>
1 week and the threads are already dead.
I hope I can talk about the game here after I finish it after 1 month (because no one gives a shit about it on other forums and real life).
>>
I'm at the part with saejima after the village but debating if I should rush the story so I can restart on exhard or just take my time...
>>
>>320381258
thread that starts saying theres nothing wrong with skipping first two games needs to die
>>
File: 1434040745475.jpg (136 KB, 622x800) Image search: [Google]
1434040745475.jpg
136 KB, 622x800
>>320381258
People are playing the game too anon.
I only come here for about half an hour after lunch and then I'll be playing all afternoon. Feels good man
>>
At about 30 hours I decided to just rush the story. I didn't finish anyone's side story, the taxi stuff/street racing, hunting quests, baseball story etc
>>
File: 1449052422460.jpg (3 MB, 3667x5500) Image search: [Google]
1449052422460.jpg
3 MB, 3667x5500
These games are padded to hell and back and the combat is so simplistic you can dodge at random and win most encounters. I can appreciate the atmosphere but the gameplay design is lethargic.
>>
File: 1410560548652.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1410560548652.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
Best tip for anyone getting into it is to play them in order because every main installment seems to make the previous one seem obsolete except for story.

I really doubted 5 could be even better than 4 but holy shit man. All the unique activities, more minigames, 5 towns etc.
>>
File: original.gif (2 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
2 MB, 400x332
For anyone finished with the game (and 4): How is the last dude compared to Tanimura? I liked to play as him a lot in 4 so I was pretty sad they took him out. Shinada any cool gameplay-wise?
>>
>>320381258

People work, dude. Also, you can blame all the Smash spam taking up space.

>>320381863

Why does the combat need to be complex? It's fun as hell.
>>
>>320381258
Gamefaqs is alright.

Yes, I'm serious. It has a bad rep and rightfully so but it completely varies by title. Anything popular with the kids has a bad board while most games I play seem fine.

>tfw Ninja Gaiden 2 board is finally dead
>>
>>320382285
>Why does the combat need to be complex? It's fun as hell.

A bit more variation wouldn't hurt since you just mash the fucking button and there's tons of encounters.
>>
Saigo's true suicide running training is such bullshit. One guy literally threw 5 grenades in a row at me.

>Get hit 1st time
>Get up
>Instantly hit by another grenade
>Repeat this 3 more times
>Fucking dead
>>
>>320381863
They really should boost the AI and difficulty.
>>
>>320382649

>mashing the same button
>a bit more variation

Shit son, you got me. I really took the bait there, didn't I.
>>
>>320382148
Weapon master, pretty chill and goofy personality with a rough past
>>
Doing Haruka stuff in 5... kinda boring after awhile. Annoying too. She's like a boring mary sue.
>>
>>320383046
>a boring mary sue
Do you even know what Mary Sue is?
>>
19 hours played, still at Kiryu's chapter. Loving it so far.
>>
File: what.jpg (28 KB, 613x533) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
28 KB, 613x533
>>320383046
>Mary Sue
>>
Is Wild Romance still in the game?
>>
Akiyama / Haruka:

Fuck whoever killed Ms. Park. She was a great character imo.
>>
Still playing as Saejima, can any kind anon deliver that pic of the map scraps location? I'm missing the profound map part D, I've been looking for hours already and can't find it anywhere.
>>
File: 宝探し.png (8 KB, 438x538) Image search: [Google]
宝探し.png
8 KB, 438x538
>>320384135
Nevermind, already found it in less than 5 minutes. Here it is if anyone is interested.
>>
Playing the first on emulator, 2 can be emulated right? Then do I have to get a ps3 or a 4 for the rest?
>>
File: image.jpg (511 KB, 1056x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
511 KB, 1056x1080
>>320384498

>Then do I have to get a ps3 or a 4 for the rest?

Nigga.
>>
>>320384498
It can

you have
>>
>>320383179

You can skip most side stuff for the story and play them after that, but I heard the Haruka stuff are missable for some reason. Don't know if it's true.
>>
>>320384498
Yes, it can.
Yes, you have to get ps3 to play 3-5 and ps4 for Zero.
>>
>>320384847
>>320384663

got it
>>
Man, I love this game, 36 hours in and I'm still playing as at the beginning of pt 4 with Saejima
>>
File: 1450041452348.jpg (775 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1450041452348.jpg
775 KB, 3000x2000
>>320381945
>I really doubted 5 could be even better than 4 but holy shit man. All the unique activities, more minigames, 5 towns etc.

I like Yakuza but with their gameplay formula it's quite easy to top every subsequent iteration. You just pile up more stuff, it's simple (stuff is, not the formula). That's also a sign of stagnation because high visual fidelity inhibits the amount of content displayed IF the amount of content is the primary objective of a developer.

Let me boil it down to a question. Which is more exciting to you: Dwarf Fortress, a hideous ASCII-art game which randomly generates and simulates an entire planet, including thousands of years of civilization, historical figures, battles, monuments, cultures, seasonal patterns, creatures, water physics, hunger, thirst, drunkenness, sleep, character moods, relationships, subterranean layers of all manner, crafts, trading, military organization, decoration, landscaping, and individual physiology right down to specific bones and organs that get damaged in combat–or the graphically updated version of Doom 3 playable on the Occulus Rift?

Dwarf Fortress is much more exciting to me as an example of what’s possible. If you put its visual fidelity on a scale of 1 to 10, it would be a one, but in terms of depth and interactive richness, it’s a 10. The programmer is free to design things as complex as he wants, because he doesn’t need to show you what’s happening in detail. Makes sense, doesn’t it? And, in this sense, our traditional definition of “progress” has become counter-productive. Because when we finally do have VR goggles that we can afford, we’re going to want even prettier places to walk around in. We’ll need new 4K or even 8K resolution displays shrunk down to the size of a playing card in front of our eyes, along with higher frame rates, immediate response times, and an order of magnitude improvement in the visual department–especially animation.
>>
http://pastebin.com/xMUt9y26
Here's the pastebin for the stuff that keeps getting asked+miscellaneous 5 stuff

I just finished Saejima's story and I'm 30 hours in not counting savescumming some of the missions like slippery Ramen

Actual Spoiler:
God dammit Baba chan

>>320381258
Aside from people playing the game and working, /v/ was hit by the double whammy of Smash and Kojima

>>320384709
You have to finish her stuff by Finale Chapter 3 or 4. After that you can't switch to her anymore
>>
File: tfw tides.png (831 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tfw tides.png
831 KB, 1280x720
>That fucking Taxi race

DEJA VU

I JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE
>>
File: saddeadpool.jpg (3 KB, 119x125) Image search: [Google]
saddeadpool.jpg
3 KB, 119x125
>>320385534
>Nakajima's backstory
>>
I completely fucked up at the comedy duo thing. What the hell man? Am I supposed to be sarcastic and answer when the guy is still talking?

Don't even have time to read the text
>>
>>320386594
You're supposed to wait for him to finish the sentence. Comedy duo really didn't translate well
>>
I've only played 20 minutes of Yakuza 1 and I bought 5.
Someone convince me I'm not a retard who should off himself.
>>
>>320386747

Come on, man. At least play 4 if you're gonna be like that.
>>
>>320386747
You're not unless you decide to play 5 and go back to the older games then complain to us that they play bad
>>
>>320386747
At least you gave sega a sale so they might get their thumb out of their asses and localize the other games.

And I understand the desire to play 5 but fucking don't, you have zero emotional investment in the characters so it will not be as great as for people that has stuck with the series since the first one.
>>
>>320386747
Oh and for the love of God don't play the games back to back. You'll be really burnt out, and the games are going no where. Take your time
>>
>>320386747
Strange way of doing things, but at least you bought a really good game.
Should have played them in order, though, much better that way.
>>
>>320386710
I think the conversation is easy to follow. It's the timing that bugs me
>>
>>320385316
Well dorf fort vs Oculus Rift is kind of an extreme example. It only works for non-action games too in a sense.

Dwarf Fortress has very few limits when it comes to what is possible thanks to its simple graphics but the representation of what is happening in the game is so primitive that it does not meet my standards for "fun video game". I don't care about graphical fidelity that much and always think it comes second to every other aspect of the game but for any kind of action game there is always a minimum level of graphics you must have. Pong gets away with very limited graphics because the gameplay is also very simple. Yakuza needs much more impressive graphics because the combat system is more intricate.

Visual fidelity also helps with storytelling of course since you can just show instead of describing everything but it's not as essential there. I can have as much fun in the story department with a book as I can with a modern game or a movie.

So basically for me it comes down to finding that perfect balance somewhere between "ASCII without limits" and "gorgeous walking simulator".

My dream game would combine sandbox with Devil May Cry.
>>
I just beat a flying old man shooting fireballs. This game is going places.

Is there any point in doing the secondary hunting missions as Saejima? They don't seem to reward you much.
>>
>>320388241
You get rich by selling dead animals
>>
Why is Dojima so fucking useless?
>>
>>320388241
Getting money is really easy if you do. I got a loot of 1000000 in like 50 min of hunting
>>
>>320388241
XP, and you need to beat them to 100% the game and maybe fight Amon
>>
>>320387909
Dwarf Fortress is a perfect example why no city sim can ever hope to overtake it in complexity and depth - it has very shallow 'vertical' gameplay depth (you mostly craft stuff) but its horizontal 'depth' is outstanding because you have so many options. Yakuza depends on giving the player tons of stuff to do but core gameplay is pretty simplistic.

We are at a disagreement because I abhor sandbox outside of games where you can modify the environment; it's a sign of lazy map design.
>>
I want to buy 4 but for some reason I feel as though that if I do it's going to go on sale. It's not even that much.
>>
>>320385316
Yakuza is a fighting game. You can't have a fighting game with ASCII graphics and call it good at the same time.

Also Yakuza 5 is much better than 4 in many ways other than graphics as well. Loading time is much shorter, menus are much easier, faster to navigate and more intuitive. Combat system is slightly improved as well with a new heat system, faster animations, more enemies on screen with the possibility for calling backups which extends the fights, which used to be really short on previous games. Most of the minigames I've tried so far also seem more refine with new mechanics added to them which increases the depth of the gameplay like the double speed reeling and releasing in sea fishing for example. The food system also got improved and now you have a really good reason to go to restaurants and try out all sorts of foods.

While the game looks almost the same and it looks like it hasn't improved at all, the improvements are everywhere. Almost every little thing in Yakuza 4 has been improved in 5 and with a game so full of content that's actually a lot of improvements.
>>
>>320389664
>Yakuza is a fighting game

and a social simulation. I only played Yakuza 1 but I've seen gameplay of 5 and it looks exactly the same at the core systems.
>>
>kiwami

When is this coming out in the west?
>>
I fucking loved Binary Domain. is the storytelling and humor in the Yakuza games of a similar level?
>>
File: yakuza.gif (2 MB, 496x257) Image search: [Google]
yakuza.gif
2 MB, 496x257
>>320390315
If 0 sells well, maybe in 2017.
>>
>>320390405
0 is coming out in the west? WHEN
>>
>>320390172
>and a social simulation
Just like GTA is a racing game. It's part of the game but not the core.

>I only played Yakuza 1 but I've seen gameplay of 5 and it looks exactly the same at the core systems.
The core systems are the same but the quality improves quite a bit with each game. You know, it's like sports games, to me Fifa 2015 is just the same as Fifa 2012 but to the people who actually play the games there's a lot of improvements. This is just an example, I don't play Fifa so I don't know if 2015 improved anything but that's usually how it goes with sports games.
>>
>>320390401
I'd say it's much better.
>>
>>320390754
There is no release date, but people are guessing next year.

https://youtu.be/7_sDlcmriQY
>>
>Yazkua
>aka the only series which is literally the same game every time that /v/ will shill
>>
File: homer.webm (294 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
homer.webm
294 KB, 640x480
>>320390172
>I only played Yakuza 1 but I've seen gameplay of 5 and it looks exactly the same at the core systems.

1 is awful. 2 is a huge step up in every way and every subsequent Yakuza is a decent step up. Except maybe 3 which is more of a "We upgraded Yakuza to next gen hardware" than gameplay improvement.

This is what I get for thinking someone has played a game before criticizing it on /v/ of all places.
>>
I have 11 out of 15 substories done for Haruka. Am I supposed to complete more jobs for the rest to show up?
>>
>>320379030
Doing Saejima hunting missions, pretty damn fun. Baba-chan can go fuck himself, though.

Can you change the weapon/suit, or it's upgraded automatically and there's no way to use older stuf?
>>
>>320391813
They upgrade automatically, I believe once you finish the main substory you'll get the option to switch between rifles, but that's it
>>
>>320392159
That's good. I just know there are golden guns, but I really hate that kind of stuff.
>>
>>320391485
It's possible to gauge gameplay just by eye test if you know what to look for, sperg. Being able to mash buttons doesn't give you epiphany.
>>
>same world
>same places to go
>same characters
>same animations
>same gameplay
>same story beats
This series crashed faster than AssCree. The bloat creep started with Yakuza 2 as it added a "completion list" and has only gone up from there. Now there are even subdivisions of missions. The worst thing is that despite being a yearly rehash, AssCree at the very least gets a new setting each time unlike Yakuza.
>>
>>320391173
I don't see people complaining about that in MonHun threads, wanna know why? Because they are good games

Anyway here's your (you)
>>
>>320392569
>>320391173
(You)
>>
>>320392426
This post alone shows that you are unable to do what you claim.
>>
>>320392569

(You)
>>
>>320392569
Makes me wonder why would anyone decide to shitpost in a yakuza thread of all places.
>>
>disregard plot
>drive taxis all day
>>
Please stop replying to that shitposter.
>>
>>320392679
I will repeat. Yakuza core mechanics are exactly the same. The fact that the Y1 doesn't have the same minigames or scope as subsequent interations does not mean that the formula isn't there.
>>
>>320392746

You already know they haven't played the game. Trolling is pretty useless in threads like this.
>>
File: yakuza 4 Kamiya.png (272 KB, 540x544) Image search: [Google]
yakuza 4 Kamiya.png
272 KB, 540x544
Fuck that autist, post your favorite boss fight and substory!
>>
>>320393087
>You already know they haven't played the game.
I've played 1 - 4 four times each and am slowly working my way through 5, which is off to a disappointingly dull start (currently in Taiga P2 Ch2).
>>
Yakuza is the shit
>>
>>320392569
Since I'm bored I felt like responding to this shitpost.

>same world
As opposed to space Yakuza or parallel dimension Yakuza?
>same places to go
Yeah I guess three completely new cities and one returning from 2 in addition to Kamurocho making it a total of 5 doesn't count
>same characters
It's a mix of old and new like every Yakuza (and pretty much any other video game series). Why would they throw away all the characters that make Yakuza what it is?
>same animations
No sense replacing working animations for no reason. NPCs could use a few more though.
>same gameplay
Again just like any game series it's based on the previous title with new stuff added in. The combat is faster and more varied than 4. Also in addition to fighting you have new minigames and completely new gameplay types like driving, hunting, rhythm games etc.
>same story beats
I'll give you this. Yakuza likes to pull the same clichés a lot story-wise just like a lot of Japanese media (as well as western for that matter).
>>
>>320393560
If you didn't think the ending of Kiryu's part was hype as fuck you might be dead inside.
>>
>>320394439
>Since I'm bored I felt like responding to this shitpost.

Go play video games instead, retard. You're only contributing to killing the thread
>>
>>320381258
>1 week and the threads are already dead.

>4-5 500+ reply threads daily

Today's the first time one died out, but you can thank Smash autism for that.
>>
>>320394723
Same thing happened yesterday.

They're dying, anon. It's time to let go. We'll still have a few threads every week anyway.
>>
>>320394540
Kiryu vs a ton of grunts by himself ceased being hype a few games ago. Nevermind the fact that it happened twice in his story already in this game. Heck, the first one was the most interesting since you had Morinaga & Aizawa with you, environmental heat actions, and it ended in a boss fight.
>>
When does Akiyama's trainer show up?
>>
>>320391485
>Except maybe 3 which is more of a "We upgraded Yakuza to next gen hardware" than gameplay improvement.
3 had a great setting and story but man was it a downgrade in some ways, not even counting the chopped content.

Whatever happened to team up heat attacks? Why did they drop befriending local NPCs who'll toss you something useful when a fight starts near their area? Where's that goofy first person lazer sword fighting arcade game gone?
>>
>>320393012
Well what exactly do you consider core mechanics? The type of game it is? In that case GTA and GTA V have the exact same core mechanics. One just has more stuff to do and more graphics.

If you mean combat then I don't get the point why it's bad. You can say they have the "same core gameplay" if you consider the hundreds of improvements, changes and additions things that were added on top of that core gameplay but I don't see where the complaint comes from then. Why is it bad the core is the same in bad combat and vastly improved combat?
>>
>>320395419

Never mind. Just showed up.
>>
>>320394583
Trying to have a good thread on /v/ is pointless anyway. And I can only play so much video games per day.
>>
>threads starting to die
>shitposters starting to find their way in

Well I guess it's finally happening. These last couple of weeks have been great and these threads have easily been some of the most amazing threads I've seen on /v/ in ages.

If anything, it was a miracle that we managed to have so many good threads with minimal shitposting in a row.

I hope we can get these threads going again when 0 comes out.

I'll probably leave for a better board where the average age of its posters isn't 15-19 after a few more of these threads.

It's been fun lads.
>>
Some of these Haruka jobs are problematic.
>>
>>320395447
Core mechanics? Simplistic combos, tons of encounters and minigames.

What exactly are those hundreds of improvements?
>>
>>320394928
None of the previous games came anywhere near the scope of Yakuza 5. Previously you basically had a mob surround you and 4-5 guys at any given time would step out and fight you instead of literally fighting dozens of people at once.

I guess you should just stop playing if you are not having fun.
>>
>>320395749
We should just ignore the shitposters, but I guess it's easier said than done for others since they get baited easily. We still might get a few good threads this week, but after that we're pretty much done until some new Yakuza news show up.
>>
>>320393231
Did he ever responded to that or he just blocked him?
>>
>>320395794
>What exactly are those hundreds of improvements?
Not removing inane things like telling me what a phone booth does literally every time I touch one.

Nor making the UFO catcher audio not make me mute my speakers while playing it.

And I don't know if this is because Sony fucked up the disc to digital conversion but goddamn is the game laggy.
>>
>>320395887

Oh I do and I'll still be here for a few more threads. But yeah, I think it will be time to move on after a few more.

I don't think most of us want this becoming a general.
>>
>>320396243
It would never even become a general. Not enough posters to keep the threads alive.
>>
>>320395749

yeah bro. it was bound to happen sooner or later. i keep telling people not to respond to shitposters, but oh well
>>
>>320395794
In terms of combat. Every action your character can take has been improved to be smoother and faster and more accurate, controls are no longer retarded. They added a fuckton of mechanics like knockbacks, multiple counters, guard breaks, bounding enemies, better heat actions and avoiding accidental triggers, better handling of grabbed enemies. Not to mention having four characters that all play differently.
>>
>>320395817
>Previously you basically had a mob surround you and 4-5 guys at any given time would step out and fight you instead of literally fighting dozens of people at once.
That's nice, I guess? It's still fighting a ton of low health / low skill grunts. Same exact thing, negligible difference in how it plays out.

Also Kiryu dodging rockets was dumb even by this series standards on several levels.
>>
>>320396441
Well not responding to critique seems like tumblr tier hugboxing where you can't stand anything negative being said about your favorite thing so I've tried to entertain at least the posts that are not blatant shitposting but then I usually end up with stuff like "I never actually played the game but this is totally how it is guise!" so I probably should take your advice.
>>
>>320396539
I'm going to maintain "dead inside" if you don't find fun things fun.
>>
>>320395443
>great story
3 was a great comedy if anything.

I liked the orphanage, though.
>>
>>320396381

I don't know we've had up to 140 posters before.

The Musou generals on /vg/ are kept alive by even less posters sometimes.
>>
>>320396539
I agree about rockets.
But that dock fight on higher difficulties is pretty nice.
>>
>>320379030
>punching a tiger in the face
>punching a bear in the face
What comes next?
>>
>>320397147
Punching girls... oh wait, it already happened.
>>
File: bd.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bd.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>320397147
Punching a shark in the face?
>>
>>320396771

>"I never actually played the game but this is totally how it is guise!"

There are critiques, and then there are posts where you just know that person hasn't played the game. I know what a shitpost is. We had a great run with these threads, and I hope our Zero threads will be good.
>>
>>320396917
>3 was a great comedy if anything.
I liked the final boss and final "dungeon". The men in black with their laughable english. The dead dads secret cia twin. Flying between towns in a fucking jet. That was good stuff man! I'd rank it above Yakuza 4 any day, especially for dat ending.

>>320397086
Would a beat 'em up general be feasible? Yakuza, God Hand, Streets of Rage, TMNT games, ....no Double Dragon. That series has and will always be shit.
>>
>>320388456
If he doesn't die in 6 I'm forming a riot.
>>
File: 1394216243127.jpg (23 KB, 600x606) Image search: [Google]
1394216243127.jpg
23 KB, 600x606
>>320397147
Punching a kid which already happened

>mfw you beat up a brat as Saejima
>>
>>320396771

Normally it's a good idea to respond to critique on several boards on the internet. A lot of people are sometimes genuinely looking for good debate about the good and bad points on something.

On /v/ on the other hand it's often better to just not say anything at all.

I mean I could sit here writing a wall of text explaining why I like something, but then when you realize that the person you are responding to is more than likely a 15 year old "le master race" redditor shit who has never actually played the game that they are shitting on, it's like why even bother?

We all know they'll just move on to shitting on another game in another thread after they get their "epic" shitposting in.
>>
>>320397645

Possibly, I've been playing through the Streets of Rage games on my genesis again and I'd love to have another place outside of /vr/ to discuss them.
>>
File: 1444725688653.gif (109 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
1444725688653.gif
109 KB, 209x193
http://gearnuke.com/yakuza-0-king-fighters-xiv-nioh-apparently-headed-pc/
>>
>>320379030
I can't fucking play it yet, my PS3 broke down shortly after installing it and I need to go get it repaired
fuck everything I just want to play as depressed old man Kiryu doing depressed old man things
>>
>>320397147
You forgot punching a zombie. Dead Souls would be so much better if they kept the original melee combat as optional for that game.
>>
>>320398315
But you punched zombies in Dead Souls.
>>
>>320398315
there's a side mission in 0 where Kiryu fights zombies
>>
>>320397930
>On /v/ on the other hand it's often better to just not say anything at all.
It isn't just /v/. Super niche games/series with a super small fanbase like Yakuza are impenetrable communities. Even if you like the games and have bought and played them long before the bandwagoners showed up, you can't say a single negative thing or you'll be labeled a shitposter.

Part of this is due to the series being a complete dud in the west and every game being "the last one to get localized really honestly we mean it this time" so fags get whipped up into a frenzy and disallow any talk of bad things about the games as if it would scare off potential new players.

Pro-Tip: this is a decade old series whose characters/story/continuity aren't getting any less convoluted. Newcomers will be scared off regardless. Whenever somebody asks "am I good starting with this game?" a PR dude sheds a single tear.
>>
see you in tomorrow's thread guys.

let's hope the retards posting meta shit are gone by then.
>>
>>320398816

>you can't say a single negative thing or you'll be labeled a shitposter.

Fair enough.

As much as I like this series, I am aware of its flaws and sometimes it can be difficult to mention some of them without being called out as a shitposter.

To be fair, the people in these threads aren't as bad as some other fanbases are about it though. I mean we constantly shit on Y1' s combat and Y3 and Y4's shittastic plots.
>>
>>320399287
Let's not call every guy with the opposite opinion a retard, okay?

I like this threads not because the lack of shitposting, but because people here are nice to talk to.
>>
>>320398816
Dude there's a huge difference between pointing flaws about this series and go full retard like >>320392569
>>
I have 5 downloaded and ready to go any second, but I still need to finish 4. I don't want to force myself to play through it, but I also don't want it to end up in my backlog hell
>>
So, what stuff is missable?
>>
This thread can still be salvaged, just talk about Yakuza.

Has anyone beaten 5 yet? What did you think about the final boss? Where would you guys place him compared to the other final bosses in the series.

I think he may be one of my favorites after 1 and 2's final bosses.

He definitely shits all over 4 and Kenzan's terrible final bosses.
>>
>Finally start playing
>End up doing taxi missions and solving peoples problems instead of the story

Something therapeutic about this.
>>
>>320400598

I liked fighting Not!Wesker in 3.
>>
File: 1439961899470.png (59 KB, 380x264) Image search: [Google]
1439961899470.png
59 KB, 380x264
>Majima's singing voice
I'm so fucking confused, he actually sounds lovely. The fuck is this series!
>>
>>320400912

Majima>all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3d266_QWw
>>
>>320379030
>start with 3

FUCK no. It is the absolute worst introduction to the series for anyone. You'll just turn off potential fans with that advice.
>>
>>320400598
I need a new PS3! Saw someone competent and appreciative of a japan simulator play some early Kiryu bits. I just want to explore and chill in my Taxi so badly.

As for bosses, goddamn 2's still sticks with me. Not even that hard or amazing mechanically but still so cool. I think the snow really sells it.
>>
>>320385316
Except playing the minigames is like drinking liquid shit. They managed to make billiards even shittier somehow; I can only hit shots at full power thanks to the awful implementation of the release stick function.
Additionally, fuck Haruka. This is the first time I haven't given an ounce of a shit about a slice of story. I'd happily skip her chapter altogether.
>>
File: 1445795623510.jpg (22 KB, 552x539) Image search: [Google]
1445795623510.jpg
22 KB, 552x539
>doing saejima's section in y5
>this "image training"
>>
File: Y5.jpg (144 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Y5.jpg
144 KB, 1280x720
Taxi Racing is the shit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6psXQNpQ0
>>
>>320382334
The more niche games boards are far better than /v/ if you are in it for discussion of a games mechanics and merits rather than memes honestly. /v/ is basically all memes at this point outside of the rare topic.
>>
File: tfw no gf.jpg (427 KB, 1409x1080) Image search: [Google]
tfw no gf.jpg
427 KB, 1409x1080
>>320401579

>dat fucking music

Gotyay Dagumi
>>
>>320400909

Notwesker was really fun, probably my favorite boss from 3.

>>320401276
2 is still my favorite final boss for the entire series, I don't feel they've been able to top it yet.

With that said, a few non final bosses still manage to be almost as good. I really enjoyed one of the last few bosses you fought in Kenzan for example (not the final boss though that was pure shit).

KENZAN SPOILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZAz1M6Gps
>>
>>320381342
I'm on the same boat. Ploughed through Kiryu's part and I think half of Saejima's and it's already over 23h. Still 3 more characters to go.
>>
>>320402045

What period of Japan do the Kenzan games take place in?
>>
>>320402443
Edo Period, you play as Musashi Miyamoto. In true Kiryu fashion, your life is pretty shit almost the entire time and gets worse everytime things start looking up.
>>
>>320402443

Edo period.

It's loosely based on the Musashi Miyamoto legend.
>>
File: vagabond-04.jpg (222 KB, 800x1229) Image search: [Google]
vagabond-04.jpg
222 KB, 800x1229
It's a shame that Kenzan and Ishin will probably never get localized.

Easily some of the finest games that have ever been made about the Samurai and this is coming from a huge Way of the Samurai fan.

Anyone know any good movies about Musashi or Ryoma Sakamoto?
>>
>>320379030
These fucking threads. I just found out that ps4s are region free. Do all you guys speak moon? Or do these games have an option for English subtitles?
>>
File: yakuza smoke.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
yakuza smoke.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
Why do the writers insist on bullying Daigo so much?
>>
>>320404404

I played through Ishin using this guide.

http://khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html
>>
>>320396208
minuscule fixes

>>320396507
All these actions have been present since Y1.

>better

see? mostly polish. Multiple characters that have different animations, not particularly different gameplay mechanics.
>>
>love the way Hokkaido looks
>NOTHING to do in it
>>
File: 1434467865787.jpg (213 KB, 907x1023) Image search: [Google]
1434467865787.jpg
213 KB, 907x1023
>nothing wrong with starting with 3 or 4

Five years ago I stumbled upon a weathered ps2 and copies of Yakuza 1 and Ico. Despite liking De Chirico, I quickly found out that Ico indeed is the most overrated game I have ever encountered and it has probably melded with liquid trash at a garbage dump by now. Yakuza, on the other hand wove a sense of place through seemingly tedious actions, simplistic combat and overall laid back charm that it has become a staple in a gamer's diet ... that was followed with a true one because Kiryu's fitness gave me, a dropout NEET at the end of his youth, the motivation to spend what little money I had on weekly kyokushin lessons, culminating in a black belt 7 months ago. This is purely as a side goal, career opportunity because giving martial art lessons beats scrapping by in retail. Parallel to that I developed a habit of jotting down reps of kanji intermingled with sections of Yakuza gameplay. It was a shy attempt at learning something that I could use as both pursuit of self-worth and an outside-of-college career goal. My motivation picked up significantly when Yakuza 5 first came out, and in the meanwhile I managed to pass JLPT 2.

Would recommend Yakuza to everyone. It's like an endlessly rewatchable sitcom. Watch Ichi the Killer as an antipod to it atmosphere wise. I wish Suda 51 did a rival series to Yakuza, darker and more surreal.
>>
>>320404640
Because he's a piece of shit
>>
>>320404640
Do you think Maijma would have gotten Daigo to suck him off had it not been for the interruption.
>>
>>320405462
Undoubtedly
>>
>>320405462
Of course, he'd do anything to prove he's not a total fuck up.
>>
>>320405181
i'm happy for you anon.
sadly i'm broken inside so no matter how great and inspiring a game is i never get motivated. but i'm glad you became a good person.
>>
File: 1450150754941.jpg (66 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1450150754941.jpg
66 KB, 600x800
I bring good tidings from /toy/
>>
File: 1450150826954.jpg (34 KB, 600x623) Image search: [Google]
1450150826954.jpg
34 KB, 600x623
>>320406063
>>
>>320406063
I understand that those joints are for moving the figure arms but it really stands out and just looks plain ugly.
>>
>>320406063

Do they have a Majima one?

This is important before I drop who knows how much on one of these.
>>
>>320379030
Nothing yet.

I have wanted to get into the series for a few years now but everybody says I should start with 1 but my ps2 is dead and I don't really have that much time to play through a huge series just to get to the games I want to play. Watched some gameplay from 5 and it looked really fun so I decided to say fuck it and get 4 because apparently that one recaps the story from earlier games.
>>
>>320406468
figmas average about 45 bucks and so far its just Kiryu but I imagine they'll make him eventually.
>>
>>320406468
If I remember correctly they will first release Kiryu figure first and then later show Majima one.
>>
File: rgglighter.jpg (11 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
rgglighter.jpg
11 KB, 320x320
>>320406796
>>320406840

Alright, good shit. Guess I just play the waiting game then.

Since we're already on the topic of this, does anyone know of any good Ryu Ga Gotoku merchandise? It doesn't need to be figures.

Anyone here have a nice collection of anything?

I'd try and track this down if I were a smoker.
>>
File: 1445508795581.gif (538 KB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
1445508795581.gif
538 KB, 300x222
Final boss music, which was the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NlJMxdHSDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxFTE3iGkiA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pONkmj4trhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrTJqDu6FI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrzsAwvSb3o
>>
>>320404893
>what is styles
>what is new moves
>what is parry
>what is chases
>what is climax heat and supermoves introduced in 5

Also - since when polish is bad?

Let me explain it this way.

It was cool when AC2 polished AC1.
It was nice when AC: Brotherhood polished 2.
It was shit when AC broke everything with some strange "innovations" like "forest parkour" and new cities that were no fun to explore. And sidequests that were boring and had no context most of the time (Homestead was an exection)
It was cool to see something different in AC4, but only because pirate things are rare in video games.

There are 2 ways to make a good sequel.

1. You improve stuff that didn't work. And make things that worked even better.

or

2. You make something different, but make sure to do it properly.

Also, Yakuza games have something that those AC games and many other yearly rahashes don't have - sense of healthy sense of humour.

I mean - Yakuza games don't have sidequests, i.e. "go-get-the-stuff-for-no-reason". It has subSTORIES. Exp. is nice, but that's why people love this stuff in Yakuza - writers give context to everything. Some substories are great jokes told with protagonists. Some are nice dramas that expand on their character.

Yeah, there are mini-games, but they are different altogether - not like AC's boring repetitive "go kill that dude".
>>
>>320407129
BRING
THAT
SHIT
KAZUMA
>>
>>320407114
Mostly the merchandise is just a give away during TGS which later you can buy through sega store if you are japanese.
They announced lately that they will make few stickers, t-shirts and other stuff so maybe there will be a chance to buy something.
>>
>>320407129

That's a tough one, they're all so damn good in different ways.

Put me down for Fly I guess.
>>
>>320407129
Yakuza 3 and Yakuza Ishin.
>>
>>320407309
>It was shit when AC broke
meant ACIII, damn
>>
File: 22jqd.jpg (74 KB, 766x632) Image search: [Google]
22jqd.jpg
74 KB, 766x632
>>320407376

Ah, I see.

My wallet is probably going to hurt if they ever get big into selling merchandise.
>>
>>320386294
>mfw onizuka hugs him and tells him everything's ok
>>
I just started 5, on hard mode like the previous games.
Jesus fuck... I don't know if I'm just rusty or if hard mode is way harder that previous games, but the bar fight against the two thugs is kicking my fucking ass. Everytime I go in for a hit I either get grabbed or jabbed, or countered when I'm not careful.
Is it just me?
>>
File: Miracle Johnson.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Miracle Johnson.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
>>320407129
Out of those 5, Fly for me.

Also I dig Majima's final boss theme in Zero, it's sinister as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNC6U8YHZdk
>>
>>320407734
That first fight is way, waaay harder that most of the later fights.
>>
>>320406063
disgusting quality
>>
>>320407129
Fly's too damn hype, just listened to it as I finished my Criminal Law final.

But 0's going to take it for me once it's over here. Between the actual fight being awesome to play, this is just too great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz3ogNNy4bc
>>
>>320382787

Weave whenever you're approaching those guys. Just run in a fucking zig zag and jump too while you're at it. That's how I got through it. Also doing it after you get Tatsuya training makes it ez pz.
>>
>>320398243

What a clickbait article, this has no confirmation of anything just merely "they haven't explicitly said not on PC".
>>
>>320408870
I can see it happening desu.
Sony doesn't care about exclusives anymore.
>>
>>320408207
Yeah, I finished it already. Did some sidequests and after them went back to that training. Did it on 1st try. Dunno why I was having so much trouble with.
>>
>>320408870

Even if it were true, would anyone in these threads even care?

It's such a non issue that I'm seriously convinced that the people that would shitpost and make a thread gloating about it would have to be in their early teens at best.
>>
>>320409293
I'd actually quite like it for more people to have easy access to the games, but I'm worried the threads might forever get ruined.
Whenever a game gets ported from consoles to Steam there's months of shitposting and then bored Steam users who outgrew video-games but refuse to accept it nitpick at the smallest possible shit.
>>
I noticed they don't show Hana's face during phone calls. Does this mean she gained all of her weight back?
>>
>>320409580

Good point.

I still remember what happened to the Souls community after the pc release.

Would hate to see that happen to Yakuza threads.
>>
>>320407129

Talking about Daigo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbO6HZ7ZE1I
>>
>>320409674
Probably couldn't be bothered/didn't have time to give her a model
same reason why the Orphanage kids aren't seen anymore
>>
>>320409674
Game is running on a new engine, probably didn't have time to do new models for the kids and hana. even in kiryu's flashback the kids are still in yakuza 3 form.

Also when I saw majima having a new model I think he's not ded like the game is letting me on.
>>
>>320410284
>thinking Majima was actually dead for even one second

Come on now.
>>
>>320410371
I didn't think for a second they were killing the most popular character in the series,
>>
>>320404641

So you guys use guides?
>>
>>320410782

Well I used it for Ishin.

I think there are a few people here that actually know some moon.
>>
>>320410782
Only way to play Ishin and Kenzan if you don't speak good jap.
>>
>>320401579
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3d266_QWw
>>
>tfw currently downloading

Holy fuck this is actually happening
After three fucking years
I never once lost hope and it's finally happening
>>
Why are Saigo's missions such a pain in the ass?
>>
Fuck, I accidentally took a locker key with Haruka in the changing room, I didn't even meant to, was just exploring the room and I didn't noticed a shinny at all. I know I fucked it up, but why should I save them for akiyama?
Also, is it true that once I get to Akyiama I can switch freely between him and Haruka? I'm really tempted to just rush the story and play as him, but I don't want to miss Haruka's stuff.
>>
>>320412310
>Also, is it true that once I get to Akyiama I can switch freely between him and Haruka?
Yes.

>Fuck, I accidentally took a locker key with Haruka in the changing room, I didn't even meant to, was just exploring the room and I didn't noticed a shinny at all. I know I fucked it up, but why should I save them for akiyama?
Because Haruka doesn't need the items from the lockers and you can't give them to other characters until Premium Adventure or something.
Don't worry, the key you picked up only gives you some ashwood.
>>
>>320412470
Thanks anon
>>
>>320402045
Koijro was the greatest opponent Musashi ever fought, of course the game's going to do a good job with him.
>>
>>320403638
Check out The Samurai Trilogy starring Toshiro Mifune as Musashi, all three are fantastic movies.
>>
>>320413441

True.

I was hyping up that fight through the entire game.

>>320413527
Toshiro Mifune was in a Musashi movie? Holy fuck, thanks man!
>>
Anyone have the Pscx2 Yakuza 2 settings for optimal play?
>>
New to the series, I've been dicking around in Kyushu with Kiryu for 10 hours so far. How do I go river fishing? There's a fishing rod but I don't know where to buy bait or what I can even use as bait.
>>
>>320384373
I came here to ask for this myself. Thank you anon!
>>
File: 1446729498429.gif (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1446729498429.gif
9 KB, 200x200
I have a confession: I played Yakuza 1, skipped 2, and played through 3,4, and am now playing 5. My reasoning is despite, the better controls, plot, OST, and nearly everything, the graphics on the emulation was an absolute eye sore.

I am sorry.
>>
>>320415094

>skipped 2

Begone foul beast.
>>
Why hasn't IGN done a Yakuza 5 review. Not that it matters, but I'm curious to what they would give it. Gamespot gave it an 8/10 saying it was too video gamey and that Asscreed and BAMHAM combat was much better.
>>
File: rope.jpg (796 KB, 608x1070) Image search: [Google]
rope.jpg
796 KB, 608x1070
>>320415094
>>
File: PoliceStory(1985)_1.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
PoliceStory(1985)_1.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
>>320415094
fag
>>
>>320415445

>too video gamey

What the fuck does that even mean? Not realistic enough?
>>
>>320415445

It wouldn't surprise me if they gave it a 6 or some retarded score like that.

They hate most niche Japanese games (see their way of the samurai, Deadly Premonition or god hand reviews for a laugh).
>>
>>320409674
>>320410112
>>320410284
Ishin Hana is the superchunk version and not the Aya Hirano version, right?
>>
>>320415457
Just what the fuck do you do between step 4 and 5?
>>
>>320415641
If a game nowadays has the slightest bit comedic/unrealistic feeling and doesn't cater to a super serious cinematic hollywood story 100% of the time, it's deemed to much a video game, and thus undeserving of a video game reward.
>>
>>320415590
>that guy who crawls into the car after being kicked through the windshield
50 keks
>>
>>320410959
>>320411258
That sounds tedious as shit.
>>
>>320416210

It can be, but hey, it beats not ever playing them.
>>
>>320415820
No, the other way round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkhkbt4fsiM

The only time period Hana can actually stay thin in and Akiyama is dead.
>>
>>320415590

Any good Asian crime movies with some good hand to hand/melee combat?

Something along the lines of the raid or the man from nowhere.

>there will never be a good Ryu Ga Gotoku movie

...and no that shitty movie Takashi Miike made doesn't count.
>>
>>320416825
dead
What? He was in the last cutscene of Ishin. Looked pretty lively.
>>
>>320413913
Spicy fish roe buns are good.
You can use any other food from the M Store as well.
>>
>>320385534
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqZoph265U
>>
>>320417331
Can I catch everything in Kyushu so long as I fish at different times of day? Or do I have to wait till I get to Nagoya or Sapporo to catch the rest? I think sea fishing is locked off till I reach Chapter 5.
>>
File: you dandy fuck.png (54 KB, 444x326) Image search: [Google]
you dandy fuck.png
54 KB, 444x326
>>320415094
>skipped 2
>>
>>320379030
Nothing because I'm trying to finish 4
>>
>>320397280

>sparring with Nair in 4
>realize it's the first time in Yakuza history I've been given the chance to beat down a woman

[asian hollering In the background intensifies]
>>
>>320417673
>I think sea fishing is locked off till I reach Chapter 5.

No it's not, there's a substory that unlocks it.
>>
>Yakuza 12
>Haruka grew up, went back into entertainment business and got raped, beat up, addicted to drugs and abused
>Kiryu becomes her mentor so that she can take revenge and become the next chairman of the Tojo clan
>Haruka turns into Ms. Park x 100
>>
>>320417948
The Tuna King guy? Already did that, caught a giant crab and a steel drum. No clue how to get back to the harbor.
>>
>>320417878
That music was so damn good and so fucking weird at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEQ9iTgwP7Y
>>
>>320418071
>implying that isnt the plot of yakuza 7
shell be 21 in 6, thats a prime age to have your life begin its decent into the yakuza world
>>
>>320418385
You know, Kiryu's probably so pissed off in the trailer because Haruka got kidnapped AGAIN and is currently in the process of being raped and injecting with various drugs.
>>
>>320418071
why are people so intent on Haruka being a fighter? everything she's ever done in this series has steered her away from that direction

>>320417878
>meet up with Nair in the morning at some building to wait for the final boss of her segment to show up
>"he's showing up at night, lets just hang out here until then"
>game skips ahead to night time
Her and Tanimura totally fucked
>>
>>320418556
>kiryus pissed haruka is kidnapped again
>finally finds her
>she beat up all her captors, several are dead
>real game starts from harukas perspective
>>
>>320418714
>why are people so intent on Haruka being a fighter? everything she's ever done in this series has steered her away from that direction

Because it would be cool and I want to see Haruka the Yakuza Boss with a giant-ass tatoo on her back.
Also imagine the boss fights with her ripping off her shirt.
>>
>>320418714
I want her to return.

What's with all those cool side characters that have, like, 10 minutes of screen time, but ultimately way more interesting that main protags of other game series?
>>
>>320418870

>Also imagine the boss fights with her ripping off her shirt

l...lewd
>>
>>320418870
It'd be completely out of character though, there's probably no other main character in this series that hates the yakuza more than she does even
why not just have a new character at that point?

>>320418989
4's side characters were pretty fucking cool, playable Saigo would be amazing
>>
There's a substory icon when I walk into the agency office. Anyone know which one it is?
>>
>>320419142
i imagine she would have a binding on her chest instead of a bra or something
even more lewd
>>
>Ryuji was able to give Majima a decent fight in 1987 when he was still a fucking middle schooler

JESUS FUCK
>>
>>320419584
Talk to Yamaura.
>>
>>320419812

Imagine if she had a boss fight where she fights Saejima and he has a special attack where he gets on top of her and...
>>
>>320420216
theres a reason why they call him the dragon of kansai
>>
>>320419812
This is pretty compeling arguement.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.