[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So who ACTUALLY won the ballots? Why even have them in the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: bayonettadidntwin.png (343 KB, 847x458) Image search: [Google]
bayonettadidntwin.png
343 KB, 847x458
So who ACTUALLY won the ballots? Why even have them in the first place if Nintendo is too lazy to negotiate for most characters? I highly doubt number 1 in europe and somewhere in the top 5 (probably 5) for USA was seriously the most voted character. They didn't even MENTION Japan.
>>
>>320358972
I can't believe that Bayonetta was number one anywhere,
>>
Didnt the ballots end like the day before the direct? That's a big red flag since how the heck can they make bayonneta by then?
>>
>>320358972
>They didn't even MENTION Japan.

Yes they did. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvgKqMWAlg
>>
>>320359247
No, the ballots ended on Oct. 3rd, almost two and a half months ago
>>
>>320359316
Corin wasn't added for Japan's ballots, he was added to advertise their new game. Thus why he gets a much more elaborate trailer.
>>
File: 1449280397493.png (233 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
1449280397493.png
233 KB, 500x475
>>320358972
If that was true it is the biggest proof of Europe's shit taste. Seriously that turd of a continent has no style.

>tfw the ballot winner/s were meant for the nxt smash.
>>
File: clooney is not amused.png (127 KB, 227x235) Image search: [Google]
clooney is not amused.png
127 KB, 227x235
Probably some Undermeme character or something equally retarded.
>>
Nobody "won." The Ballot was just a publicity stunt to keep people talking about Smash.
>>
>>320358972
I think "among realizable characters" meant they were looking almost exclusively at third party characters. They wanted someone from Bamco, Capcom, Squeenix, or Sega that they could get while the getting's good. They'll probably use a bunch of the first party winners in Smash 5 or the updated version of Smash 4 that they'll be releasing for the NX.
>>
File: image.jpg (262 KB, 1126x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
262 KB, 1126x960
>>320358972
If we consider only video game characters, then I'm sure these two were closer to the top. Not winners, but certainly higher than Bayonetta, who is obscure as shit to the vast number of normies who play Smash.

Honestly, it makes sense when you realize that Smash makes characters popular, not the other way around. Smash is what got Fire Emblem west after all, so it makes sense they'd try to prop up Bayonetta's sales by tossing her in.
>>
>no name third party with underwhelming sales whose creator Sakurai happens to be friends with is #1
something seems suspish lads
>>
>>320358972
1) Snake (Konami wouldn't allow it)
2) Ice Climber (3DS can't handle it)
3) Simon Belmont (Konami wouldn't allow it)
4) Banjo-Kazooie (Microsoft wouldn't all it)
5) Bayonetta
>>
>>320360948

"realizable" is just there to exclude all the idiots voting for Shrek, cory in the house, and Bugs bunny.
>>
>>320361259
I never wanted K.Rool in, but considering he got an Mii outfit earlier on, I'm willing to bet he was higher than Bayo. What would have made him no longer "realizable"? Also Wolf.

The poll was bullshit. That he didn't even try to spin Corrin off as the JP pick, nor mention where Bayo landed with them was telling.
>>
>>320361259
>Konami wouldn't allow it
>implying they didn't simply limit it to companies who already had characters in Smash 4
>>
>>320361637
Corrin was added because Sakurai likes Fire Emblem, it's nothing to do with the poll. And it's not unreasonable to suggest that Bayonetta was more popular than K.Rool. While I would certainly welcome him in Smash, he hasn't been relevant in over 15 years. Bayonetta has had recent games and they've both received critical acclaim, she's more fresh in people's minds.
>>
>>320361128
I think people seriously overestimate their relevance. Most people have never played through a Metroid game far enough to even learn Ridley's name, and Krool is part of a REALLY old series of platformers that never lived up to sonic or mario in popularity at all.
>>
File: topshelf.jpg (21 KB, 288x228) Image search: [Google]
topshelf.jpg
21 KB, 288x228
>>320360824
this
who /didntbothervotingatall/ here?
*raises hand*
>>
>>320358972
Goku
>>
>>320361128
They may have been higher in the US, but worldwide Bayonetta probably beat them. I'm fairly certain that Bayonetta is more popular in Japan than those two.
>>
File: IMG_20150509_134105245_HDR.jpg (123 KB, 1366x769) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150509_134105245_HDR.jpg
123 KB, 1366x769
>>320362339
Crush-It Carl would have been the perfect final choice for a character. Oh well.
>>
>>320362074
True, but almost every online Smash discussion board (the people dedicated enough to actually vote for characters) always brought them up, along with Isaac, Bandana Dee, Krystal, and others. These aren't small communities, especially since Smash Boards gets millions of views, to say nothing nothing of Reddit, Tumblr, and even /v/.

Unless we know the full extent of the votes (Thousands, millions, etc.), we'll never know for sure just how likely anyone was. The smaller the pool, the more likely the 'vocal' characters were. Ultimately though it all comes back to Sakurai just picking who he wants and a bit of nepotism on Kamiya's part since he and Sakurai are buddies.
>>
>>320364085
Places like smash boards have many visitors but if you actually look only a handful of people are actually making accounts and regularly posting.

Those same people are probably also posting elsewhere too.

So while it might look like there's massive support I bet there was less then it seemed.
>>
>Character with two entries that had lukewarm sales/flop is somehow popular enough to win the popularity contest of one of the most well known cross over games

This shit was rigged
>>
>>320365018
Both games received critical acclaim and are considered some of the best character-action games ever made. Every other "popular" character just had vocal fans who stayed in their echo chamber so it seemed like they were more desired then they actually were. The only characters that would have come close were Snake and Banjo, both of which probably couldn't be negotiated.
>>
>>320362623
K.Rool is pretty popular in Japan, though. For some reason they seem to really like Rare related stuff. I know he's owned by Nintendo, but Rare still made him.

Bayonetta most likely did win as a worldwide choice, though. I'm surprised she's number 1 in Europe.
>>
>>320365304
When it comes to polling I really doubt just being critically acclaimed is enough. Online communities didn't poll well for Bayonetta, and too few casuals would know who the fuck she is to make up the shortfall. When you consider Kamiya's friendship with Sakurai it's kind of obvious they just told a convenient lie.
>>
>>320365304

This is a popularity contest decided by fans not critics and Bayo certainly doesn't have the fan base to back it up considering her low sales.
>>
>>320361770
Konami hates video games now and moved on to making Pachinko exclusively. Why would they want their Pachinko characters in a video game?

Besides, Soccermom and Kojimbles are bros IRL and I doubt either want to see Snake in a game anymore after all that shitstorm.
>>
I'm fucking baffled Inkling didn't win. Seemed like the obvious choice. I have a small glimmer of hope they just released the Inkling alongside the other two as one last ruse.
>>
>>320367686
They are keeping her/him for Smash 5. Since all the other newcomers will be literally who to normalfags
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.