[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Another Yakuza thread. Made the mistake of starting with 4,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17
File: Yakuza4sc01.jpg (288 KB, 1277x720) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza4sc01.jpg
288 KB, 1277x720
Another Yakuza thread.

Made the mistake of starting with 4, just finished Saejima's chapter. I'm looking to go back through the older games and catch up on the story before 5 and 6.

How long til Kiwami comes West? I'd rather play it than the original on PS2 if at all possible.

Also Akiyama is a top lad
>>
>>320309110
There's already a yakuza thread bro

>>320244112
>>
>>320309714
it's gonna rip soon
>>
Kiwami to the west if zero sells. Zero is going to get censored so much though so expect boycotts hurting the sales. Ishin, Kenzan, the PSP games and Y1&2 HD are never ever material though.
>>
File: Serious Yakuza Business.gif (648 KB, 215x266) Image search: [Google]
Serious Yakuza Business.gif
648 KB, 215x266
>inb4 this one gets deleted too like the other new one

No non-Nintendo threads allowed.
>>
>>320309110
Let's talk why Akiyama is so best and why do we love him so much.
>>
I'm loving the pacing in this game. I got to Saejima part and got really tired of random fights in the street. It really helps that Haruka's part is a completely different game.
>>
>already on page 9

fucking kek
>>
>>320314948

need more nintendope threads
>>
File: haruka.png (3 MB, 1600x1700) Image search: [Google]
haruka.png
3 MB, 1600x1700
>>320309110
guys the only way to save this thread is to post haruka doujins
>>
File: 1434467865787.jpg (213 KB, 907x1023) Image search: [Google]
1434467865787.jpg
213 KB, 907x1023
Five years ago I stumbled upon a weathered ps2 and copies of Yakuza 1 and Ico. Despite liking De Chirico, I quickly found out that Ico indeed is the most overrated game I have ever encountered and it has probably melded with liquid trash at a garbage dump by now. Yakuza, on the other hand wove a sense of place through seemingly tedious actions, simplistic combat and overall laid back charm that it has become a staple in a gamer's diet ... that was followed with a true one because Kiryu's fitness gave me, a dropout NEET at the end of his youth, the motivation to spend what little money I had on weekly kyokushin lessons, culminating in a black belt 7 months ago. This is purely as a side goal, career opportunity because giving martial art lessons beats scrapping by in retail. Parallel to that I developed a habit of jotting down reps of kanji intermingled with sections of Yakuza gameplay. It was a shy attempt at learning something that I could use as both pursuit of self-worth and an outside-of-college career goal. My motivation picked up significantly when Yakuza 5 first came out, and in the meanwhile I managed to pass JLPT 2.

Would recommend Yakuza to everyone. It's like an endlessly rewatchable sitcom. Watch Ichi the Killer as an antipod to it atmosphere wise. I wish Suda 51 did a rival series to Yakuza, darker and more surreal.
>>
how does the first yakuza hold up?
>>
>>320316315

Alright.

The HD collection really fixed a lot, too bad we didn't get it.

Localizers confirmed it's not coming, at least in it's current form. If anything they'll wait until after 0 to make it for the PS4. But they said they weren't sure what SEGA was doing with Kiwami and if they were going to give the same treatment to 2. We'll see how that goes first.
>>
>>320316315
Playing through it now, there's a lot to this game.
>>
>>320316315

very well

the combat is fine if you don't overdo the combos and still to one-twos as well as avoid grabbing too often

dodging a lot helps
>>
>>320316002
Do not sexualize Haruka
>>
Kiryu has a hard life man
>>
On a date with Oryou in Ishin, can't wait to get to singing. I wonder which song she sings.
>>
>>320316128
nice
>>
where the hell do I buy bait in Sotenbori? i can't find it in any store?
>>
>>320317454
She didn't fucking sing, Ryouma did. What is this shit.
She had better dance at least.
>>
>>320316868
Not sexualizing, just looking for doujins, I don't know where to find them
>>
>>320317454
At least Haruka, Ikumatsu and Otose get songs. Also I can't get Okita and Nagakura's songs out of my head. The Singing Bar in Ishin was great, loved the 1800s twist on Karaoke.

Really looking forward to 0s. That Kiryu/Nishiki duet. You can have either one of them lead, which is a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POB84jQivEI
>>
>>320318201
How about sadpanda and pixiv, like every other doujinshi?
>>
>>320319057
Okita's song might be my favorite karaoke song of the series, it's both catchy and hilarious. Absolutely amazing.
>>
Usually when I play a game I stretch the UI to make the screen a little bit clear. However, doing that in Yakuza 5 was bad idea and that made Haruka's dancing really hard because the 4 bars were too far apart. I don't know what's the default setting for that slider but you may want to check it and put it all the way to the left so it makes it easier to do the dancing shenanigans, it's the last option under settings.
>>
>>320319193
I'm uniroically in love with this song. It's so sweet. It's surprising to see he can really sing after GET TO THE TOP and Okita's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdyOB-zpAs0
>>
>>320316128
Good for you bro! I also second Ichi the Killer.
>>
>>320309110
Why don't you use the catch-up videos in the menu? They give you the overall story of all the main games.
>>
>>320316128

/fit/fag here

good stuff

yakuza is only the video games I care about still to this day as someone who has pretty much dropped vidya for better hobbies
>>
>>320309110
>How long til Kiwami comes West? I'd rather play it than the original on PS2 if at all possible.

Why don't you just emulate 1?
>>
>>320319060
I don't even know what to search nigga
>>
>>320313332
i'd honestly suck his dick in a totally platonic gay

typo left as is
>>
>>320313332
Akiyama a bro
>>
Just finally finished all of the hunting missions. Now I'm in glorious Hokkaido. Which would be cool if it wasn't for this police bullshit. I love Saejima but fuck this shit.

This game is going to take me forever, but I love it.
>>
>>320321981
The cops are more like just pointless walls that you run into in this game
>>
File: 1448346872351.gif (288 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
1448346872351.gif
288 KB, 500x255
>Check completion list for Karaoke
>No Raindrops
>No Saturday Night Lover
>No Summer Memories
>No Where Has Your Touch Gone
>No Shooting Star
>No Pure Love In Kamurocho
>No I Wanna Change Myself
>No Maiden Coloured Life

Whyyy
>>
>>320316128
Why did you repost this?
>>
>>320323591
I didn't get any (You)pvotes because the thread died so fast ;_;
>>
File: 1417901065877.jpg (87 KB, 604x402) Image search: [Google]
1417901065877.jpg
87 KB, 604x402
>tfw all I want to do is get comfy and play Yakuza 5 but I'm stuck grinding in an MMO because the current events are too good to pass up

Just kill me.
>>
File: Nagoshi.png (177 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Nagoshi.png
177 KB, 480x270
>>320323812
>you will never be Nagoshi
>>
>>320312547
I dont get why they would censor it. It's no worse than GTA imo.
>>
>>320323812
>tfw all I want to do is get comfy and play Yakuza 5 but I'm stuck studying all day and playing catch up on coursework, plus PlayAsia have fucked me and sent 2 dud PSN cards.
>>
File: 1411626263155.jpg (332 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1411626263155.jpg
332 KB, 800x600
>>320324207
At least you're doing something productive. Why are you ordering PSN cards from Playasia anyway?
>>
>>320324020
Yeah and if they could stop GTA from being sold, they would. It's too big and is released in the west.

Zero however is nowhere near as big and Japs won't want to risk poor sales because of "misogyny" controversy.

Besides, didn't you see all the stupid shit about GTA5 being a rape simulator and all that? They even held conferences and rallies where a copy was snapped to wild applause.
>>
>>320324413
Yeah but sometimes being productive is shit. I just want to veg out over my 2 week break but I have to organise my studies for next year.

And I live in the UK so it's easiest for me to just buy PSN cards to use on my Canadian account. PlayAsia had a little sale so I got the digital cards, but neither of the fucking codes work and the correspondence is taking forever because of the time zone differences.
>>
>>320324436
to be honest tho, pretty much anyone that is going to buy yakuza in the west already knows about it and is going to buy it regardless if people are upset about the content. i dont really see them gaining tons of new players (especially with a re-release of an older game) unless the media coverage is so much so that people check it out from curiosity.
>>
Someone should make up a Yakuza plot bingo. Should Daigo being retarded or the Millennium Tower exploding be freebies?
>>
>>320324020
The only things I see getting edited out are MJ and Spielberg to more generic guys, or having their quests removed entirely.

>>320324436
More publicity for the game I guess. Remember Dragon's Crown. That boosted sales a lot.
>>
>>320324675
This is true, but they don't see it this way for some reason.

A loaf of content was cut from Y3 in the west, bit of content was cut from Y4, and I'm pretty sure some was cut from Y5 as well, though I haven't played it yet.

For some reason (I wonder why) Japs don't think their western fans can handle certain risque minigames etc. Can't say I blame them too much when the only real bar they must have is games news sites, and they must hear about racily-designed characters like Bayonetta and the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown being described as, among other things, "lolicon" and "female fuck-toys".
>>
I've been enjoying 3! Just got to the bit past where you fight a bunch of Chinese dudes the first time.

I love how this game just chucks side story after side story at you. I got two from some convenience store in the space of ten minutes.
>>
>>320325225
It did indeed, but they don't see it like many western companies would, i.e. "no publicity is bad publicity". They seem to take it quite seriously. I guess because it's Sega and they're worried bad publicity could hurt them in the long run even if it boosts sales of that particular game.

They're not totally wrong. Over here in the UK I've seen a couple of big newspapers getting very moralistic with their (already plebby) reviews of big games. With such a wide readership, that could actually seriously harm Sega's sales with casuals and the like. They prefer to play it safe, it seems, as do Koei-Tecmo and Capcom.
>>
File: 1349994494989.jpg (26 KB, 268x241) Image search: [Google]
1349994494989.jpg
26 KB, 268x241
>Those air hockey controls

what the fuck man
>>
Started out with 4 since I got it free on that one PS+ month, and just finished Saejima's chapter.
Should I stop now and buy the other games first with Christmas coming up, or should I just keep going at this point?
>>
File: 1347824770169.png (204 KB, 463x293) Image search: [Google]
1347824770169.png
204 KB, 463x293
>>320325998
Oh wait never mind this is pretty easy.

>staring at the girl's tiddies
>not concentrating solely on the match
fucking casuls
>>
New thread
>>
>>320326567
If you're really interested in the series you should stop what you're doing and play the older games cause the combat will be spoiled for you. If you wanna play 5 ASAP finish 4 ASAP
>>
>>320326567
>>320326567
Keep playing it and enjoy it. You can move onwards to 5, or play the spin off that happens right after 4 or simply go back and play the older games afterwards. Remember this, video games are meant to be fun. Enjoy them any way you like.

Only thing I recommend though is that you should finish 4 before playing 5, outside of that anything goes.
>>
>>320312547
the psp game is getting fan translated at least
>>
File: cathead.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cathead.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Anyone here play the japanese versions?
I really want to because they are obviously the better versions and are all already out, but I'm afraid my Japanese might not be good enough and I would just waste my money.
Do I bite the bullet and struggle through the Japanese ones hopefully improving as I go, or just play the english ones with removed content until I become proficient.
>>
>>320328131
While your Japanese will certainly improve if you manage to persevere through the whole game, if you think you're going to struggle, you're going to struggle.

If you want to enjoy the game more, you will in English. If you want to improve your Japanese more, go for it in Japanese.
>>
>>320327991
>>320328001
okay, thanks
>>
>>320328317
For me it's really just vocabulary and kanji, and the only way to improve is to actually practice but there are too many.
I played the first game and then started learning Japanese and decided to hold off on the others thinking it would better to save them for when I can play it in the language. It's been 3 years since then though so maybe I just suck and should just enjoy myself and play it in english.
>>
>>320328709
Considering Japanese is the hardest language for native English speakers to learn, I'd say you're doing very well if you are able to understand spoken Japanese so well in 3 years.

Only way to learn the kanji is to drill them. This is the same for vocabulary. If you have the grammar down then stopping every now and then to look up a word isn't going to hurt you too much.
>>
I just beat 3.
Pretty good I cant wait for 4 and 5
>>
I'm so glad I don't play Smash anymore. It sucks that our threads have been getting fucked lately.

Anyway, I finally fucking passed the comedy audition. I had such a lucky run with it too.
>>
That Tatsuya chef is so damn annoying. I hate his face, his voice and his bad acting.
I hate him even more noe that I googled him.
>>
I want more driving sections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd5zGVrdUOg
Just gimme more eurobeat songs sega
>>
File: 20151215200241.jpg (249 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20151215200241.jpg
249 KB, 1280x720
>>320324436
I think the series is too niche for people to hound it like that.

I don't pay much attention to this kinda thing, but I don't think even this hasn't caused any kind of uproar yet, and I usually see people going nuts whenever that word is used. I doubt the kind of people who go crazy over these things will see any more than the intro, and aside from some breast shots I don't recall there being anything too bad in there.

>>320328709
RGG stories are gonna be difficult to understand in Japanese for a non-native speaker, no matter what, because of all the cop/criminal slang that gets thrown around. Kinda like how "glass him" caused a lot of confusion for people who weren't familiar with certain English slang, but on a larger scale.

You shouldn't play it if you're worried about not being able to understand it unless you're comfortable with looking a ton of words up and not being able to understand everything in the story immediately. Just know that no matter how proficient you are at the language, you'll still have to look stuff up unless you're familiar with Japanese crime fiction already.

If you can't wait any longer, you could always play it first in English, convert your save region, then do NG+ in Japanese (or vice versa). Or just replay them down the line when you feel more comfortable with your JP level.
>>
>>320328131
I'm playing Ishin, and it's the first one I'm playing in Japanese. It's pretty tough at times, especially the non-voiced sections that are rife with scary kanji and odd old accents to boot.
Still, it's mostly entirely doable, and if you can't figure something out there's most likely a guide somewhere. I've certainly gotten better at understanding old kansai speech while playing.
>>
>>320330934

this series loves it's trannies
>>
>>320332021

lmao, the devs really love to riff on trannies.

i thought it was a bit amusing how haruka's training master was placed under a bridge...
>>
Just finsihed Kiryu's arc pretty good
>>
>the comfy XMas theme
>snowball fights
>chasing kids as Santa
>beating the fuck out of people as Santa

Fucking love this series to death.
>>
You were right. This comedy sidequest is horrible. I can never get more than 72. How many of them are there?
>>
File: eminem.gif (995 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
eminem.gif
995 KB, 500x281
>there will never be a yakuza game with every building on the map a shop and a 'build your posse' minigame
>>
>>320333530
No wait. 73 now.
>>
File: 1718508-yboxart_large.jpg (17 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
1718508-yboxart_large.jpg
17 KB, 300x420
>if you smoke a cigarette during the fight it stays in your mouth when you get back to punching
>>
You should go back and start with Shenmue 1 and 2, they were the prequels basically.
>>
>>320334359

shenmue sucks
>>
>>320334260

Do you know about the essence of smoking anon?
>>
>Kiryu doing the Don-kun voiceovers in Taiko no Tatsujin

Oh god, imagining a middle-aged yakuza-looking guy geting excited and shouting RENDAAAAA while hitting the drums is priceless.
>>
>>320330934
Well just this month Capcom have altered fight animations to avoid controversy, and DOAX3 isn't releasing in the west because of controversy over the content.

There is no such thing as "too niche" for these people. If they see something they don't like, "not for me" doesn't come into their heads. It's "isn't this creepy and disgusting and misogynistic? Japan should change".
>>
>want the series to get more popular in the West
>but if it does, it will attract the ugly attention of SJWs

I think I'll stick with this niche we're in right now. Love how Shuhei Yoshida indirectly called the western gaming industry a bunch of titty-fearing babies in that recent interview.
>>
>>320334805
Street Fighter and DoA are much more popular than Yakuza tho.
>>
Why do some of the TV interviews have two correct choices listed in the yimbo guide?

>>320334805
DOA has always gotten a ton of flak from media in the west, which Yakuza has never been a target of.

Was the SF5 interview ever sourced properly, or confirmed by Ono? All I saw were people linking Neogaf as the source, and their source was a random BR site that could have improperly translated their interview. Regardless, the animations were poor in quality, so it sounds more like Ono was making an excuse considering there's still a shit ton of risque content in the game. Also, SF is most definitely not niche in the west.
>>
Before this thread dies, can someone tell me, as a new player, where to start? Are the feudal Japan ones canon or should I start at 0?
>>
>>320336884

Start with 1.

Why would the feudal ones be cannon?
>>
does anyone know what and where you get Haruka's last training ability? and is 20 the level cap? I still have a few abilities left to get but Haruka's XP bar isn't going up anymore?
>>
>>320335508
It wasn't DOA, it's DOAX.

>>320335561
It was what he said. He essentially said that the company was worried about how things would be perceived and wanted to avoid making anyone feel uncomfortable.

SF isn't niche, no, but DOAX is.

There were talks about how the butt slap was "creepy" etc. before it was changed. Could be an excuse, but applying Occam's razor, when so much coming out of Japan is being vilified in western gaming media, it would make sense for them to play it extra safe and remove what could be considered superfluously and overtly sexual.
>>
File: 1438801287617.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1438801287617.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>320323812
>tfw all I want to do is get comfy and play Yakuza 5 but I still have to play 2-4, don't have the cash for it, and i'm currently waiting for this slow ass download of a System Shock 2 mod to finish installing.
i don't have the time for all these fucking video games
i will die, an i still have shit in my backlog i never touched
>>
seajima is a big guy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5ZZYUiDmE
>>
>>320339665
for tojo
>>
>>320340018
Do I want to watch this?
>>
>>320340374

It's not that bad. It just says the combat is pretty repetitive, which is true.
>>
>>320340374
It's actually pretty fair and rate it 8.5/10.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb_xIFLB3Vc
>>
>>320340848
Which podcast is this?
>>
this game made me realize how many Japanese people have the word shit in their name

pretty funny
>>
>>320341173

Are we sharing Yakuza 5 videos?

THIS IS IMPORTANT

Both for SEGA's future and outlook on games and Yakuza. And it's also educational about localizations.

http://www.gamesradar.com/how-its-done-sega-answers-your-questions-about-yakuza-5/
>>
>>320309110
Brah, listen. Just start with 3 and work your way up.

1 and 2 had some crappy combat. And I have a feeling Sega will localize the HD version of those later on if 5 sells well.
>>
>>320324436
That's retarded.

No one in the greater industry gives a shit about Yakuza

You fucking people freak out over any changes to avoid copyright issues and call it "censorship" and bemoan the death of gaming
>>
>>320341887
Yakuza is almost always met with, Oh that one game by every journalist in the world.

I'd advise all of you to do the smart thing, Enjoy 0 cause it will be the last one localized in the west.
>>
>>320341547

cool watching it now
>>
>>320342016
They said that about 4 and they gave the west a second chance.

And if 0 pulls more than 150k here I'm fairly sure that it's a success

No one is going to take away this series due to social issues, you're jumping at shadows
>>
>>320342370
I don't think social issues will be the problem. Its that they release a new Yakuza every fucking year and it takes a year to get them localized. They are an absolutely huge project for a team to take and if they aren't pulling in the money to justify a year long cycle its not going to keep happening.

I mean what they are waiting on 0 to be localized, meanwhile Kiwami and 6 will be released by the time 0 hits over here. Its simply too much shit to deal with.

I still await numbers on 5 to see if it even sold 50k.
>>
Anyone else think it's really weird one of the hostesses Kiryu bangs is 18 while Haruka is only 2 years younger?
>>
Only after doing all of Haruka's jobs did I realise something about the handshake event. The responses you have to give are the same colour as what the fan says. I'm so dumb.
>>
>>320343045
>Not seeing the ultimate end of Yakuza in Harkua's ass for Kiryu

>Yakuza 7 opens on Tojo Chairman Kiryu with Haruka sitting on his lap
>>
>>320343138
>Yakuza 7 is literally The Real Housewives of Kamurocho
>>
File: 1438457637667.jpg (242 KB, 710x477) Image search: [Google]
1438457637667.jpg
242 KB, 710x477
>>320343138
Hot
>>
Grey-haired kiryu game when?
>>
>>320343640
Either 7 or 8. You know how Japs age, they look like they've discovered the fountain of youth then all of a sudden they be looking like Mr. Miyagi
>>
>>320343640

Kiryu in the trailer for 6 looks like he's starting to get some gray hair.
>>
I want to get a back tattoo. I'm in good shape but I'm white as fuck.
>>
File: QfEP2kE.jpg (53 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
QfEP2kE.jpg
53 KB, 640x432
£'ve only played through 4 as I happened upon it for dirt cheap at a flea market a few years back. I recently went to burn a copy of 2 to play on my PS2, but as it turns out I need a blank DVD9. Considering playing 1 in the mean time. If not maybe 5.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.