[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the canon behind her always being right? Is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 34
File: Mama_Murphy.jpg (68 KB, 666x435) Image search: [Google]
Mama_Murphy.jpg
68 KB, 666x435
So what's the canon behind her always being right? Is this really a world where psychics exist that can draw their powers from drugs?
>>
No, it's a world of shitty writing by a shitty developer..
>>
>>320308651
it's also a world where radiation doesn't just give you an incurable illness, but instead can turn you into a mutated immortal freak.

is this your first video game?

they're different from real life, is the main point.
>>
File: 1438663777140.png (102 KB, 195x211) Image search: [Google]
1438663777140.png
102 KB, 195x211
Bethout babby finds out about psykers.
>>
>>320308651
Yeah, actually, since Fallout 1

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Psyker
>>
>>320308651
Hakunin was also psychic. There are psychics in Fallout.
>>
To be fair Fallout 1, 2 and NV had psykers. And Fallout 2 had fucking ghosts and shit too, although that might only be with the restoration patch.
>>
File: Forecaster.jpg (119 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
Forecaster.jpg
119 KB, 960x600
>>320308651
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Psyker

Are we all just pretending The Master, Hakunin, Professor Calvert, Bloomseer Poplar, The Forecaster, etc. just don't exist?

Don't get me wrong, Fallout 4 fucked A LOT of the lore and is an overall just slightly above average game that is heavily weighed down by its numerous bugs and AI pathing issues, but let's not blatantly lie about it?

There is enough shit truthfully wrong with the game that there is no need to come up with fake shit to get angry over.
>>
>LOL wat if le woman that's high... wait for it... IT'S ACTUALLY RIGHT
Yeah anon, it's an original, interesting and well thought world
>>
Cocaines a hell of a drug.
>>
>not taking DMT, shrooms, or any other mind expanding drugs
>not peeking beyond the rift to glimpse the depth of reality
I love the Puritans of /v/
>>
>>320309464
I think my only real issue with Mama Murphy is just how cheesy she is compared to say, The Forecaster.
>>
>>320308651
Why care? Not like her vague ramblings are necessary when the Pip Boy always knows exactly where to go.
>>
Actually it would be cool if one of the Fallout games allowed you to play as a psyker but I think they're supposed to be sort of ambiguously canon. At least I recall one of the devs didn't like them and wanted them all to have died with the Master.
>>
Honestly surprised that her bullshit helped. She told me what to say in the confrontation with a Skinny whilst rescuing Nick. Kinda wish a I hadn't weaned her off now.
>>
>>320309760
Only time I bothered to use her was when she gave me advice about skinny as well.
>>
>>320309643
I'm not really sure how that would work from a gameplay perspective. Would your character just see vague visions of what's to come or something?
>>
>>320308651
Psychics have been in Fallout since the very first game, bro.
>>
>>320309632
Not like people tripping the fuck out and then claiming to be soothsayers is unprecedented. A lot of fiction is created by taking hoaxes and saying "What if this was real?"
>>
File: 2015-12-13_00002.jpg (241 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-13_00002.jpg
241 KB, 1920x1080
>>320309760

I totally forgot that she told me that until the encounter. Then they turned around, and I blew their heads off with my shotgun anyway after getting my charisma check xp.
>>
>>320308651

Bad storytelling.
>>
She's fucking annoying and you can't kill her.
I don't give a shit if her magic powers are canon or not, keep that shit away from me.
I had to build her a chair and put the chair as far as away as possible to get rid of her.
>>
>>320308651
>canon

There's that meme word again.
>>
>>320310447

Keep giving her drugs. Eventually she wants psycho, and OD's. Then you can blow her head off and drag her body to the creek out back.

I then stole her chair.
>>
>>320308651
Its a world with literal immortals and aliens. Drug psychics is not that far off.
>>
>>320309926
Some of the characters in Fallout 1 had pyrokinetic and electrokinetic abilities which have obvious applications in gameplay. Although, being able to blatantly cast spells might be somewhat tonally inappropriate. Most psychic abilities in Fallout are a bit more subtle than that.

I could easily see telekinetic abilities being used to unlock dialogue options that let you read people's minds or communicate with other telepathic people, though.
>>
>>320310598
I deleted that shit from my steam profile already.
Based Gaben
>>
She's a psyker. You should probably kill her for the good of the Emperor.
>>
Why is radiation damage so useless?
>>
>>320311093

I'm still playing it. Beat it the first time with the minutemen, started a heavy weapons run with the BoS, and a melee run, no idea which faction yet.

I'm sure this game will end up being like skyrim for me. Load it up, make a new character, wander around for maybe 10 - 20 hours ignoring the main quest, then put the game down for a few months.

For now, it's a decent distraction until Dragon's Dogma on PC comes out.

Pre-purchase opens on the 17th, I can't possibly become more erect.
>>
>>320309464
Fallout is about the 50s and post-apocalypse, magical powers don't fit the setting.
>>
>>320311462
Because more often than not you're fighting enemies that are immune to it, and the human enemies that aren't go down well enough without it.
>>
>>320311462
Because most enemies are non humans that are resistant to radiation.
>>
>>320308651
There's a psychic child in New Vegas, and there's frequently psychics and superpowered humans in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2
>>
>>320311582
>Fallout is about the 50s
Well it is now. That was just a minor visual detail in the older games.
>>
>>320308651
Bethesda need the muh destiny shit top drive the plot forward
>>
>>320311462
Because at best all it does is keeps humans from using stimpacks?
>>
>>320311582

What about all of that wacky psychic research the government was into? The whole "find russian submarines with these dowsing rods" shit?

I can see it working if the effect is subtle, but if you find a terminal that explains it it is way over the top what they were trying to do.
>>
>>320309639
I skipped through every bit of her dialogue because she annoyed the fuck out of me. But I never got bored of The Forcaster. He was cool.
>>
>>320311612
>>320311613
That's the thing, I know that it's ineffective against everything besides humans, but it's pretty much shit against humans too
Shit, I was happy because I found an irradiated sledgehammer, which with the same raw power as a super sledge, would outdamage it, since the hammer has +100 rad damage thanks to that one perk, and the supersledge only has like +30 energy damage from being superheated
fucking nope
I tested it on human enemies, and the superheated hammer still did 50% more damage.
Why is the Shishkebab both useless and ugly now?
>>
Psykers have always been a thing in Fallout.

The really silly thing the Bethesda games did was make aliens a significant part of the plot instead of a silly traditional easter egg.
>>
she's bullshitting but has 10 luck
she just wants the drugs to get high
>>
>>320308651

she's a pikey, like all of them if they can survive into old age (40) they are blessed with supernatural psychic abilities

t. lives in belfast and has to deal with these taig fucks all the time
>>
>>320312003
The Forecaster was a pretty minor character in comparison too. He didn't really overstay his welcome and you could go the entire game without even knowing he's there. You're kinda forced to deal with Mama Murphy at times in 4.
>>
So did Mama Murphy really kill a deathclaw with a single bullet from a pipe pistol, or was she high off her ass and imagined it?
>>
>>320312315
The Forecaster may have been minor, but I always went back to him to hear something. He was just interesting.
>>
question: why do euros get super butthurt whenever gypsies are mentioned?
>>
File: 1450016815614.jpg (35 KB, 696x785) Image search: [Google]
1450016815614.jpg
35 KB, 696x785
>>320310091
>call it the boomstick
>it's not a double barreled shotgun
>>
>>320312112
>Why is the Shishkebab both useless and ugly now?
Because it's a low level weapon that's introduced too early and falls off damage wise.
>>
>>320309639

the thing is though, if you can suffer through all of it and give her enough chems she dies

I also think sturges is dope as fuck and makes up for it. I liked his character
>>
>>320312428
I did too. I just liked that he was an optional little side character, it just made him that much more interesting. Subtlety helps quite a bit with character like him.
>>
File: 1425973048079.gif (483 KB, 243x270) Image search: [Google]
1425973048079.gif
483 KB, 243x270
>>320308651
There are creature psychic power like mire lurker king and aliens. Also the priest in fallout 2. So it not impossible that she has psychic powers.
>>
>need a way to help brain dead retarded dudebro players
>don't know how to write yourself into a BLM speech writing group
>introduce Mama Murphy

On the flipside I don't know why people hated her. I felt bad anytime I was mean to her.
>>
>>320312514

Original boomstick was a double barrel. When I upgraded to the semi auto, I kept forgetting what the name was, so I renamed it boomstick.

>The are people that don't name their weapons with a - as the first symbol to make them stay at the top of the weapon list
>>
Am I the only one who moved out of Sanctuary just to get away from mama Murphy and Marcy fucking Long?
>>
>>320312806
I'm pretty sure everyone who played used the Red Rocket instead.
>>
>>320312774
That's a really good idea.
>>
>>320312806
spectacle island is a thing so I bet many people moved out of sanctuary.
>>
>>320312806

I put Marcy in a guard tower that was up 4 or 5 flights of stairs. Once up there, I deleted all of the stairs and floors that held it up. She is now stuck on a floating guard tower, out of sight out of mind.
>>
>>320308651
psychics exit in Fallout. There's Hakunin in Fallour 2 and The Forecaster in New Vegas.
>>
>>320312774
>there are people who carry more than two weapons at a time
>>
Dude, yeah, healing powder is a basically just an herbal chem made from xander root and broc flower and it gave that crazy old dude in Fallout 2 who gives you your quest psychic powers when he partook of it.
>>
>>320312906
Fuck no, Red Rocket is way too fucking small. Starlight Drive-In is the best.
>>
>>320312612
>Sturges
>can't hack a novice computer
>can construct and operate an advanced teleporter array armed with nothing more than the knowledge contained on a scrap of paper and spare parts
Bravo, Todd.
>>
>>320313034
I play Fallout 3 like Half-Life.
>>
>>320312774
>>320312935
Or maybe never carry more than 5 guns?
>>
>>320312906

Not the guy you're responding to but on my first run I used sanctuary due to the water access. Problem is that you can't get rid of the older buildings, or actually make the area not look like shit. Also my character fucking bought his house before the war he was going to fucking use it.

That being said, Specter Island and The Castle are far better settlement choices. I preferred the destroyed coastal cottage though due to the nice views.
>>
>>320313034
I carry 8 weapons with different ammo types each and 1 melee weapon, the rest are grenades.
>>
>>320312548
really?
I didn't find one until I was level 50
>>
>>320308651
It's science fiction you stupid jack ass.
>>
>>320313287

Even then, the late game guns are heavy. A fully upgraded Assault Rifle weighs 27 pounds, the Gauss Rifle 35.
>>
>>320313552
It's easy to get if you do some minutemen settlement quests early on.
>>
Just booted Fallout 3 up recently. I forgot how much fun and frightening it was to roam D.C armed with a AK, underleveled on hard mode facing off against Super mutants with cars exploding all around you as you look for any sort of cover.
>>
File: when the med-x wears off.webm (2 MB, 330x448) Image search: [Google]
when the med-x wears off.webm
2 MB, 330x448
>>320313223
I liked Sturges a lot better replaying the game with the knowledge that he was planned as a Synth and that the game never reveals this at all or even whether he is an infiltrator that goes rogue if he helps you blow up the Institute or if he's just a mindwiped runaway who doesn't know he's a Synth.

I mean, seeing him glance around between Garvey, me, and the refugees, having him try to reduce the tension all the time, him supposedly being a real tech whiz but somehow being "unable" to hack a novice terminal, the constant hammering... yeah that's kinda suspicious.

By the way, use the console commands to kill Sturges and he drops a Synth Component still.
>>
What's the best gun in the game if you have the Rifleman perk? I'm thinking the Overseer's combat rifle. Is there anything else that comes close?
>>
>>320313552

you get one as a quest reward from the race traitor that lives west of the revere satellite array. You have to rescue his halfnigger kid, who like all niggers stole his dad's sword (a special shiskebab) before trying to join a gang

I killed them all for being the disgusting creatures they were. I then deleted their entire farm and sent all my white settlers there to make it into an Aryan fortress.
>>
>>320313401
>give a casual 9 options they autistically fill all 9 slots

you probably just cheat the carry weight system to huh
>>
File: Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg (30 KB, 324x401) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg
30 KB, 324x401
Anyone else /FalloutTactics/ here?

R. Lee Ermey and Kurtwood Smith voice acting is fucking great.
>>
>>320312112
The point of Radiation damage is that it reduces their max HP and Human enemies WILL use Stimpacks especially on higher difficulties.

It still kinda sucks though.

Also the Shishkebab sucks now because it's SUPERIOR JAPANESE STEEL FOLDED A THOUSAND TIMES and also because there's no pyromaniac perk anymore. It should have done explosive damage or something so that demolitions expert would work on it. That would have been okay.
>>
>>320313940
I tend to try to keep about 90 free pounds, I'm usually at the early 300s if I'm not carrying too much garbage aid shit.
>>
>>320313887
>Starring Chuck Connors
>>
>>320308651

Psychics are a thing in the Fallout universe. Fallout 1 was the only one that ever had them at the forefront, but they're there.
>>
>>320313940
Not him, but yes. I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>320312774
>>320312935
No that's a terrible idea, just put a space before the name.
>>
>>320314162
No one on /v/ is old enough for this
>>
>>320314162
>>
>>320314086
Honestly I quite liked tactics and don't really understand the hate. I thought the gameplay was actually pretty fun.
>>
>>320311582
Fallout has influences from 50's, 70's and 80's culture m8. And it's in the future which is about 120+ years after 1950. People don't stay the same. Our American nation is barely over 200 years old and look how much has changed.
>>
>>320313297
>>320312906
>>320312806
I prefer Hangman's Alley, I turned it into a towering favela. I'm just disappointed that the altitude limit is set so low in that settlement, I could have done so much more.

Oh, also, if you prefer the Castle I recommend using the foundation blocks found under wood floors of all things. One of the shack foundations is actually just a wood floor on top of a massive cube of concrete, which is allowed by default to clip into the ground and some walls, meaning you can actually rebuild the Castle's walls if you want to.

I also recommend building a structure attached to the scaffolding/catwalks as a sort of spire or guard tower.
>>
>>320313827

>him supposedly being a real tech whiz but somehow being "unable" to hack a novice terminal

hot tip: EEfags can't into hacking (at least, not in the traditional sense). Most programmers on /g/ would be lost on /diy/'s EE thread and vice versa. It's two different, though related, fields.

>use the console commands to kill Sturges and he drops a Synth Component still.

I didn't believe you but apparently it's confirmed:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Sturges

It's worth remembering that Sturges didn't start out with the MM, he was the handyman in Quincy. Then Quincy got blown up (for some reason) by the Gunners. He's clearly not a synth replacement of the "real" Sturges, but rather is a copy of him (ie, the real Sturges went to the Memory Den, had his mind copied, then went back to the south while synth Sturges was dropped off in Quincy). So there's two Sturges, like there are two Arts (from the random encounter).
>>
File: chuck-connors-bw.jpg (6 KB, 200x203) Image search: [Google]
chuck-connors-bw.jpg
6 KB, 200x203
>>320314162
I watch fucking Rifleman almost every day on METV after smoking a bowl.

>mfw Chuck Connors was in the NBA and MLB before Rifleman

He was a big guy.
>>
There's fucking aliens and first civilization people in the Fallout games. Don't try explaining it
>>
>>320313887

gauss rifle dipshit. I somehow got one that fires two shots at once so now I'm dealing 500 base damage per shot, now triple that if it's a sneak attack critical
>>
>>320314514
This isn't up for debate anon, Fallout by design takes a future as imagined by people from the 50s and drops a nuke on it.
>>
>>320314615

>He's clearly not a synth replacement of the "real" Sturges

On the basis that CIT has all of their replacements report to them weekly, as is the case with the mayor in diamond city
>>
>>320314584

>Oh, also, if you prefer the Castle I recommend using the foundation blocks found under wood floors of all things. One of the shack foundations is actually just a wood floor on top of a massive cube of concrete, which is allowed by default to clip into the ground and some walls, meaning you can actually rebuild the Castle's walls if you want to.

Already did that. I also setup about thirtyish missile turrets as defense. The battles with the BoS and CIT were loads of fun because I just sat back and had them blow everything up for me.
>>
>>320314086

It's a good game. Pretty rough in some parts due to being rushed, but still above par for its genre. That says more about the Eastern European shovelware that makes up most tactical combat games than it does about Fallout Tactics, though.

Nonetheless, a stimulating game with a surprising about of tactical flexibility if you play in real-time. Too bad the writing is pure shit.
>>
>>320314772

You are wrong. Go play some of the earlier Fallouts.
>>
>>320311582
Yeah that's why shit like the P90 were in the older games because the P90 totally existed in the 50s same for all those AR15 variants or the Anti-Materiel Rifle in New Vegas
>>
>>320315108

That defense mission of the Ghouls worshiping the nuclear warhead was intense, then going on the offensive against the Super mutants with a battered as fuck team just doubles the intensity.
>>
>>320314889

no emails about it in CIT either
>>
>>320312514
My exact reaction.
My combat shotgun is called Punisher.
>>
File: Harkness.jpg (158 KB, 800x571) Image search: [Google]
Harkness.jpg
158 KB, 800x571
I wish Harkness was a companion instead of fucking McCready. Swearing vengeance, he comes back to the Commonweath with murder on the mind.
>>
>>320315214

the earlier fallouts had some modern guns but were completely 50s styled everywhere else. There's no mention of modern political events in any of the lore either
>>
File: Hakunin_vision.png (191 KB, 1920x960) Image search: [Google]
Hakunin_vision.png
191 KB, 1920x960
>>
what's the canon behind all the dead brahmin with synth components?

have to think the institute has better things to do than make synth cows and rustlers
>>
just popping into the thread to say that while Fo4 is a shit RPG, it's an amazing WH40k simulator
>>
>>320316295
They made synth gorillas.
>>
>>320316295
You'd be surprised.
>>
File: roadwarrior1.jpg (363 KB, 1024x675) Image search: [Google]
roadwarrior1.jpg
363 KB, 1024x675
>>320315723
The 50's world of tomorrow aesthetic doesn't automatically mean it never took influence from anything else. I mean c'mon the synths are straight out of Bladerunner and Snatcher. Several outfits and weapons are straight out of Mad Max, raiders and wastelanders are wondering around with green mohawks and metal armor that looks like something from Shadowrun. The pre-war world is definitely 50's retrofuturism, but the post-war wasteland is an altogether different beast. At least in any non-Bethesda title.
>>
>>320315723
>were completely 50s styled everywhere
no they weren't. go play the originals.
>>
>>320316404
that is what was meant by rustlers.

bovine espionage just seems stupid
>>
>>320308651
Fucking duh.
There's been psychics in the first game, psychics in the second game, it's literally been in the canon forever.
>>
>>320316295

the whole synth premise is fucking stupid, especially when they could just build regular robots to do the exact same job that synths do but better and with zero chance of disobedience. Also, shaun dumping their human aug program but still continuing the FEV experimentation doesn't make any logical sense
>>
>>320309639
You found the forecaster. He didn't seek you out and wasn't forced on you by the main story or any side mission. Bethesda is shit.
>>
>>320317087
>but still continuing the FEV experimentation doesn't make any logical sense
Well maybe he wanted a cure for Super Mutants since Virgil actually managed to make an FEV cure.
>>
>>320317182
>implying it matters if a character is part of a quest or not to be considered canon
Kids these days are fucking retarded. Literally any random ass train of thought to justify their head canon. It's pathetic.
>>
>>320316735

as >>320316693 mentioned everything prewar was 50s styled, it was postwar where things changed

Also, look at Fo2's cut EPA location. The EPA didn't come into creation until 1970, which was two years after the "1950s/60s" era ended and when the modern political system was just starting to form.
>>
>>320317302

Did you read any of Virgil's entries in his terminal in CIT? He made the serum on his own without the permission/authorization of his superiors.
>>
>>320311582
*Fallout is about the 50s retro future science fiction.

Of which psychics were a huge part of 50s science fiction.
>>
>>320317087
>when they could just build regular robots to do the exact same job that synths do but better and with zero chance of disobedience

If you want to make something smart enough to match a human in cunning and resourcefulness it by definition needs a brain complex enough to be capable of comprehending the notion of betrayal.

not to mention a pure robot could never blend in with humans the way a 3rd gen courser can.
>>
>>320317520
Then it really never made any sense, the weird part is that bethesda acknowledges that it doesn't make sense in all the holotapes the FEV scientists left (they all wonder why the fuck they're even doing this), so was this just some terrible attempt at making the institute seem morally grey?
>>
>>320317302
>Well maybe he wanted a cure for Super Mutants since Virgil actually managed to make an FEV cure.
explain
>>
>>320317087
everything about the Institute is stupid, they don't explain the "why" of any of the evil shit they do or even the mundane shit they do.

why wake you up and then send synths to kill you? how exactly did they expect you to naturally find them?

also that bitch from Fallout 3 joins them even though she was the most touchy feeling morality bitch in that game, and simply.. worked with them for 20 years? HOW, HOW COULD SHE CONVINCE HERSELF?

at least Enclave has a goal, twisted as they are, The Institute is just Lawful Evil "SCIENCE!" and nothing more.
>>
>>320317405
it has 70's and 80's influences not just 50's.
>>
>>320317808
the only way a 3rd gen is blending in properly is with a legit aspergers diagnosis. find the autist, find the synth.
>>
>>320317808
don't, every single thing you have to justify a reason for why they do it, just ends up begging another question.

you just did it "why do they need Synths and Synth Coursers" "why do they need to do anything they do in the game" and it goes on and on and on.

they are just an ill explained ill thought out "Boogeyman" for you to hunt down.
>>
File: Fo1_Cathedral_Front.png (2 MB, 1745x908) Image search: [Google]
Fo1_Cathedral_Front.png
2 MB, 1745x908
>>320315723
>pictured: completely 50s style

While there were definitely 50s-sci-fi elements in the technology, this was mostly contained to the vaults and highly technological areas like the West Tek facility and the military base (and the intro, for some reason). Most of the clothing and armour designs looked more at home in 80s post-apoc films (not surprisingly), and the guns and sprites had an exaggerated, over-the-top look that's probably closest to comics and video games of the 90s (not surprisingly). You would never find anything like the Master's techno-organic design from before the 80s or so.

While the 50s retro-future is a very important part of Fallout, its original design wasn't ever *just* taking "a future as imagined by people from the 50s and [dropping] a nuke on it."
>>
>>320317931
The other guy disproved my idea of Father wanting a cure but yeah, one of the scientists managed to make an FEV cure that removed his Super Mutantism. He says that it was still only in its working stages so it doesn't work on any other strain but the one he used on himself.
>>
>>320315940

The Railroad just wanted Zimmer to stop chasing him. They didn't even want Harkness to know he was an android.

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no way to make him say or even imply he'll join the Railroad.
>>
>>320318208
but you can't cure FEV. What the fuck Bethesda?
>>
>>320317914
That's not the first time Bethesda's done something like this. They even acknowledge how retarded it was to build a huge town around an un-detonated nuke in 3, but they included it anyway. It's all about rule of cool over logic.
>>
>>320318308
it doesn't make any sense to me either, FEV permantly changes your DNA.

you can't close that pandora's box, a million scientists couldn't put that humpty dumpty back to gether again.

hell Brundle NOR his Son could pull that shit off.
>>
>>320317914

Probably, like a "skeletons in the closet" thing.

That being said it makes sense within the larger lore; CIT was the top prewar university/academic institution so of course they had ties to the military and enclave. It's likely that they had some sort of dealings with Autumn before Eden went full retard (assuming Eden wasn't a creation of CIT to lure the Enclave back to the east coast). As a result, they'd clearly be working on the largest prewar bioscience project (FEV) in some capacity.

I hate trying to justify bad writing, but there's some basis for CIT having FEV.

What doesn't make sense is why they continued researching it *after* the bombs dropped, especially for so long when it doesn't give them any immediate benefit (compared to say, low rent mr handys and sentry bots). What also doesn't make sense is why shaun kept the FEV program going, but stopped the human aug program because it was "morally grey" (or to that effect, check his terminal entry on it in his room). What also doesn't make sense is why CIT didn't automate their food farm, even though it's clearly a thing mr handys are capable of doing (see the one settlement that is literally an automated farm).
>>
>>320318406
i won't play the game but i read somewhere that he stored DNA samples of himself before he inoculated himself with FEV and was able to cure only himself. This still wouldn't change anything because all other Supermutant's previous DNA is destroyed so the cure should only work for him.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
219 KB, 1920x1080
>>320318308
grabbed this off google, but here's how the guy looked before and after.
>>
>>320318624
>What doesn't make sense is why they continued researching it *after* the bombs dropped, especially for so long when it doesn't give them any immediate benefit (compared to say, low rent mr handys and sentry bots).

They didn't continue it after the bombs, they only started researching it during Shaun's rule of the Institute, he's the one who started the program after some institute scientist managed to get his hands on some FEV.
>>
>>320317808

The goal of CIT, at least officially, is to make life better on the surface (though how exactly they'd do this is never touched upon other than reassurances from shaun that it'll happen eventually). To that end, they are much better off making cheaper bots that do their jobs without complaint instead of trying to reinvent humanity.

As it pertains to right after the bombs fell, specifically with the Commonwealth Provisional Government, CIT could have probably secured the entire Boston area from raiders by just making sentry bots and killing anything that was in violation of the law. They also had the capacity to grow food in greenhouses, and purify water (specifically using the water plant west of the automated farm).
>>
>>320318806
Virgil was better off as a mutie.
The closest thing the east coast had to a First Generation Mutant since Fawkes.
>>
>>320318785

...if so, than that's actually okay with the lore. ZAX describes that specifically as "the only way" that FEV could be cured - not reversing the change, technically, but changing yourself *again* into your previous self with a surviving DNA sample.

I'd have to wonder how he managed to flush the FEV from his system and deliver his old DNA, though...
>>
>>320318131

>You would never find anything like the Master's techno-organic design from before the 80s or so.

the cathedral is pretty clearly art deco, the master himself (ie a computer-machine hybrid) has roots in 1930s pulp scifi
>>
>>320310091
>>320312514
I have a double barrel that does 50% more dmg to ghouls that I called 'My Boomstick'.
>>
inb4 someone who's only played the beth games uses this as a reason to bash them
>>320308902
oh, happened in the first reply
>>
File: 1448808189358.jpg (28 KB, 263x338) Image search: [Google]
1448808189358.jpg
28 KB, 263x338
>>320319223
At least that make sense
>>
>>320319115

>I'd have to wonder how he managed to flush the FEV from his system and deliver his old DNA, though...

If you want the Brave New World (written in the 1920s) excuse: he probably cloned some of his bones, which produced blood with his old DNA in it, and slowly transfused it into his system which turned him back into his old self over time. Or something else crazy like that.
>>
>>320319223
spent most of the game hoping for a cold damage gun, really wanted a Freezing Gauss rifle.

finally got a weapon to drop and it was a Freezing Flamer. stupid.
>>
File: Btmn_0825.jpg (162 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Btmn_0825.jpg
162 KB, 1024x576
>>320315723
not really, the only 50s future aesthetic comes from the broken down cars, all the architecture is a sort of futuristic blend of Gothic, brutalist and Art Deco

Gotham is a decent-ish comparison to the architecture from the early games
>>
>>320313940
>Not using the Lone Wanderer perk and having Dogmeat carry a Fatman, Missile Launcher, Minigun and a supply of grenades.
>>
question: is going back for the cyrolater and console command'ing it's box open worth it?
>>
>>320318131
that's what i'm saying. it's 50's retro with 70's and 80's influences put in. Also the games were made in the 90's and comic books were big at that time.

to say that it is only 50's retro is ridiculous.
>>
>>320315225
>No more Pancor Jackhammers or H&K CAWS because Bethesda thinks time stopped in the 50's
>>
>>320313939
Edgy.
>>
>>320320264
Meh it's a very close range weapon for a gun there might be a long range muzzle for it but I haven't checked; also I've played the game 106 hours and only found enough ammo to use it for like 5-10 minutes. It's cool but you'd have to either cheat in some ammo or buy every bit you can get from every vendor.
>>
>>320320510
Both of those guns were shit. Playing through Fallout 2 right now and I hate the new guns they added from 1 to 2 except for the pulse rifle.
>>
>>320318806
Where did the extra mass go to?
And how does he have hair?
>>
>>320320738
He actually grew that hair when he became human again, he was originally bald when he turned into a Super Mutant.
>>
>>320319003
If you don't cure him he degenerates into a regular dumb super mutant.
>>
>>320320907
That makes no sense.

This is based on the assumption that everyone in the Institute are pure human stock
>>
>>320320885
he grew that much hair in a few days between giving him the vaccine and returning to check up on him?
>>
>>320321071
Maybe Institute Bioscience made some super-Rogaine.
>>
File: Destroy_master.png (183 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
Destroy_master.png
183 KB, 400x275
>>320319195

That statue on the front isn't art deco.

And cyborgs, sure. A guy with a robot arm or leg, or a funky eyepiece that's supposed to be his X-ray eyes that can see through walls. A brain in a jar, maybe. But nothing like this.
>>
>>320321190
Fallout 1 had such a good world. Why did 2's have to be so shit?
>>
>>320321190

The filename makes me think of

>hate master

as a dialogue choice
>>
>>320311582
Psykers were are huge part of old Sci-Fi. Especially for the Dune series
>>
>>320308651
>Fallout 2
>ooga booga shaman constanly sending you dream messages
>Fallout 4
>b-but junkie fortune teller is lore breaking!!!!
>>
>>320308651
>Is this really a world where psychics exist that can draw their powers from drugs
This is also a world where aliens drop whales from orbit for fun and where literal Cthulu gods have an ancient lost civilization deep underground
>>
>>320321569
[Intelligence 6] ayy yo your muties aint got no funny bits
>>
>>320311582

you had some old sci-fi that was basically fantasy with magic

what was that thing that had the main character who looked like he man, but he was a barbarian in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world with magic?
>>
>>320319439
Funny how it took less than a week for the full reverse transformation to happen. In my game it took no more than 2 days.
>>
File: shitfuckedup.gif (221 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shitfuckedup.gif
221 KB, 1280x720
>>320321582
cunt got what he deserved at least
>>
>>320310569
Would you prefer "internal consistency"?
>>
>>320320907
That's only if you convince him you can't find the cure. If you simply leave him there for months on end, he'll be just fine.
>>
>>320321635
>literal Cthulu gods have an ancient lost civilization deep underground
Wait, where is this?
>>
WHERE DOES DR. LESKO OBTAIN FEV

WHERE DOES THE INSTITUTE OBTAIN FEV

WHY DID BETHESDA CONFUSE VAULT-TEC AND WEST-TEK AND CREATE A VAULT FULL OF FEV
>>
File: wat.jpg (117 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
117 KB, 1920x1080
>>320322358
Dunwich Borers.
>>
File: Fo1_Necropolis_Bad_Ending.png (210 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Fo1_Necropolis_Bad_Ending.png
210 KB, 640x480
>>320319639
That's actually a pretty good comparison, it fits the bill pretty well.
>>
>>320310091
>Boomstick
>Dirty Harry

how does it feel to be the most unoriginal piece of shit in history?

I named a Double Barrel Boomstick and a .44 Dirty Harry as well
>>
File: Pete Hines.png (2 MB, 1242x2943) Image search: [Google]
Pete Hines.png
2 MB, 1242x2943
>>320322578
>>
>>320312774
>he doesn't put <i> at the beginning of his weapons names so that they show up in italics and are always at the top of the list
Pleb
>>
>>320322358
Dunwhich borers, you see the remains of an ancient stature at the bottom of the well near the sacrificial chamber. Also there's one scientist guy who talks about his dad discovering an ancient lost city in Arabia or someshit that had twisted structures and the formula for eternal youth

Also there's that shit in Fallout 3 with the altar underground and the necronomicon
>>
File: excuseme.png (56 KB, 134x217) Image search: [Google]
excuseme.png
56 KB, 134x217
>>320311582
>Psykers in most fallout games, starting with one
>doesn't fit the setting
You're retarded
>>
File: fucking rekt.jpg (306 KB, 1831x959) Image search: [Google]
fucking rekt.jpg
306 KB, 1831x959
>>320321471
Fallout 2 was very much a textbook case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. They had several different teams working on each individual area with no one to real them in and keep each town and location connected to one another. There was no overarching theme keeping everything in place, so it just seems like a huge soupy mess of tribals, pop-culture references, fourth wall breaking dialogue, and seedy gangland ghettos.

Despite all that though, I still really liked Fallout 2.
>>
>>320321062
>This is based on the assumption that everyone in the Institute are pure human stock
They're not, it's one of the reasons they had to venture into the vaults to find some pure human to make their gen 3 synths off of their DNA.
>>
>>320322923
>what is suspension of disbelief
>what is autism
>what is rabid delusional fanbase
>>
>>320322923
Please tell me this guy was fired
>>
>>320322242
>That's only if you convince him you can't find the cure. If you simply leave him there for months on end, he'll be just fine.
You have one week after first entering the Institute to get him the cure.
>>
>>320308651
Psychics are part of the canon since Fallout 1. It just happens. Nobody knows for real why. Master was thinking it's about brain. Hakunin in F2 was doing it via self-hypnosis. Beastlords were doing it thanks to freak mutation. And Mama Murphy is doing drugs.
>>
>>320323352
He's like the head PR guy at Bethesda/Zenimax of course he wasn't fired.
>>
>>320323352
He's the VP of Bethesda
>>
>>320319639
is this from the series or one of the films? It's a good comparison
>>
There are psykers in Fallout,

its fan canon that Fallout is actually the universe the emperor from WH40k grew up in and his BoS faction united the entire raider clans in the world into some sort of super power that later colonized the stars.
>>
>>320323441
>>320323450
How is this legal?
>>
File: pete hines handles basic pr.webm (325 KB, 176x320) Image search: [Google]
pete hines handles basic pr.webm
325 KB, 176x320
>>320322923
>>
>>320313827
>2015
>that blatant clipping

For fuck sake, Bethesda.
>>
File: scr00060.jpg (841 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
scr00060.jpg
841 KB, 1280x720
>>320323189
Makes sense why everything feels so disconnected. Tim Cain left during development too didn't he? None of the towns feel connected at all and it's actually jarring to go between them because of how different the styles are between them. Also NCR is plain ugly.
>>
F1 < FNV < F4 < F2 = F3

Fixed.
>>
>>320323319
>people who started it set up the rules and follow those rules
>new people come in and add new rules while still following all the old rules
>new people come in and break those rules
and add new rules
>more new people come in and break all the rules and add new rules
>>
>>320310091
What's the point of making names if they are worse anyways?
>>
>>320323189
>There was no overarching theme
"United we stand, divided we die" is pretty much plastered to the game, not sure how did you've missed that.

But the rest - yeah, pretty much screwed internally by the dev teams, switching members, goals, leaders, ideas and everything every even day.

I still find it superior to Fallout 1
>>
>>320323716
Yeah Tim Cain had almost nothing to do with 2. He wrote a basic outline of what the story would be, which was scrapped, and he left Interplay shortly after because he knew Fallout wasn't his anymore. It's a pretty sad story. He's working with Obsidian now, so maybe if they ever get another stab at a Fallout game, he'll have another chance with the series again.
>>
File: 8wYOL91tec.gif (458 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
8wYOL91tec.gif
458 KB, 333x250
>>320323883
>>
>>320323578
because I couldnt see the other wall behind him I didnt think he was going for a Darwin's Award. If this is real that's pretty shitty.
>>
>>320308964
Have you never heard of FEV. And how it got into the atmosphere due to it directly hitting tanks in the glow?
>>
>>320322923
LOL HE GETS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT AND HIS ONLY RESPONSE IS, "I don't care". How quaint of him to admit they don't care about destroying lore.
>>
>>320324301
he didn't write fallout 4 you know
>>
>>320324224
It broke pretty much everything, but he survived.
>>
>>320324124

>if

Bethesda has already said they'd like another Obsidan Fallout, and Obsidian has also separately said that they'd like to make another Fallout.

The only question is whether or not Chris Avelone will come back for it and whether or not it will be made in Gamebryo again
>>
why does the laser musket take ammo if it's powered by cranking
what is the point of the cranking if it takes ammo
at no point do you put cells into it why does it take cells

"this is our signature weapon, we didn't think about it at all" bethesda what the fuck
>>
>>320324301
well F4 has shit tons of content more content than any other Fallout game of course some shit stuff would pass through. I have been playing this shit since day 1 and still have yet to explore everything. I'm currently lvl 50 playing on survival.
>>
>>320323716
>>320324124
>Tim Cain
Can we for at least a while stop praising this guy for stuff he never did? I mean, sure, he almost single-handly created Fallout, or rather butchered Mad Max and slapped some Wasteland on it, but get real - every other project of his is a fucking joke and/or mistake, unless he's supervised by other people that pretty much tell him what to do.
>>
>>320324438
IT JUST WORKS
>>
>>320324351
But he's the main RP guy of Bethesda. And he can't fucking handle simple and basic questioning, the job he's suppose to do on daily basis
>>
>>320323571

because its an old boys club and he knows the entire board personally by this point.

its legal because if being an ass on a public forum was criminalized, we'd all be arrested
>>
>>320324494
This

I'm sick and tired of Mr Tim "I'm Always Butthurt" Cain complaining how yet another project didn't follow his vision in 100% and how he now is obligated to quit because of artistic differencies. From what is known, the guy is a fucking prima-donna at work and if stuff is not done his way, he just flips the table.
>>
>>320324494
I dunno man I really liked Arcanum. Can't really speak to his other work.
>>
>>320312454
Because they are basically spics.
>>
>>320320631
You can turn it into an ice assault rifle but it's not nearly as powerful in that form if you ask me.
>>
>>320323497
89 Keaton Batman I think
>>
>>320308651
>Draws influence from A Boy and his Dog
>Dog in that is Fucking Psychic
What did you expect?
>>
>>320324494
The creator of fallout said he liked fallout 2 and 3 though.
>>
>>320324959
Arcanum was "his" in a sense of him being part of the three-person group writing the outline of the main story and then working as a supervisor for side-quests.
It's like saying Tim Schafer made Grim Fandango and not entire team from LucasArt.

The only game on which Cain truly worked his ass was Fallout 1 in initial stages - when the game reached what we would call now beta, he was already working with small team and then it all expanded. When they've put an actual team for Fallout 2, he started whining how he now doesn't have 100% control and how they are all "ruining it"...
... which ironically lead to ruin of it, as the team working on F2 was constantly swapped after he left.
>>
>>320312454
I don't even know what a gypsie is. I always thought they were just a semi-sedentary ethnic group that move around a lot.
>>
>>320321732
Oh that? That WAS He-Man.
>>
>>320312454
Ho boy... I'm not sure if there is any viable comparison to draw for Burgers to understand. But I will try. Imagine that you are experiencing an immigration of people that don't want to integrate, don't share your values at all, don't participate in anything and just roam around. Then imagine what happens when things start to disappear around said roaming group.
Then imagine that for few centuries.

Still wonder why Euros don't like gypsies? Imagine you've got now a group of 18th century Irish that just roam the States and act like they are the only normal people around and everyone is just filthy cunt.
>>
>>320324084
>"United we stand, divided we die" is pretty much plastered to the game, not sure how did you've missed that.

I'm sorry, you'll have to explain that to me.
>>
File: crime facts.jpg (940 KB, 616x5370) Image search: [Google]
crime facts.jpg
940 KB, 616x5370
>>320325961
Literally Niggers in America. No joke.
>>
>>320324015
>fallout
>realism
sorry but i cant help you, youre delusional
theres nothing realistic ever about fallout
>>
>>320325961

>I'm not sure if there is any viable comparison to draw for Burgers to understand.

Blacks.
>>
>>320324375
that's worse than death imo
>>
>>320326208
Not really. Black slaves didn't have much saying what they do and who owns them. Nor they were allowed to travel. Nor did they were pulling "we are magical and special people" trick to cheat on stupid peasants.
>>
>railroad relies on pam when mama murphy is sitting right in their back yard
>>
>>320326265
Already explained why not here: >>320326408
>>
>>320326134
How many quests revolve around "make those people work together"?
How many quests revolve around "stop the hostilities between those people"?
How many good endings revolve around different towns working together?

So what's there to explain? Modoc, Vault City, Gecko, Broken Hills, NCR... all of them must either work together internally or work together with outsiders to get shit done.
>>
>>320326408
No, but they have a fucking choice 150 years later. They'll also pull the race card cause you fucking refused to give them your money at gunpoint. They're the fucking worst scum in America.
>>
>>320327334
Remove the gun and replace it with plea for humanitatian aid, while in the same time another gypy is emptying your pockets anyway
And it's going like this since late medieval.

Now tell me which one is worse.
>>
>>320308651
Seriously you complain about her and not Melchior
>>
File: True Stereotypes.jpg (718 KB, 1000x4500) Image search: [Google]
True Stereotypes.jpg
718 KB, 1000x4500
>>320328270
Niggers do the same shit man, and if you don't do it you're racist.
>>
>>320328389
There's a ton of people in this topic like you who are jumping down OP's throat but really all they did was ask a question. There's not even any words that imply a sarcastic tone, they're just asking a very legitimate question about the Fallout lore. And all you had to do was say "yes, it is."
>>
>>320312310
Fuck off hun
>>
>>320328613
/pol/, why are you here?
>>
File: 1446776662525.gif (2 MB, 348x323) Image search: [Google]
1446776662525.gif
2 MB, 348x323
>>320328613
>47% have herpes
>implying everyone in the world doesn't have some strain of herpes already

OKAY
>>
>>320312454
Because it remind them that they are more racist than the burgers and they cant express their feelings without going to jail.
>>
>Is this really a world where psychics exist that can draw their powers from drugs?
That's how Shamans work.
>>
File: 1448649385045.jpg (203 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1448649385045.jpg
203 KB, 512x512
>>320329071
Is there something you want to tell us, anon?
>>
>>320321732
I know this is a old ass post but if the protag called things "demon dogs" then its Thundarr the Barbarian, aired on Boomerang years ago, was pretty fun to watch.
>>
File: Buzz is angry.jpg (105 KB, 545x693) Image search: [Google]
Buzz is angry.jpg
105 KB, 545x693
>>320323529

>Fallout is actually the universe the emperor from WH40k grew up in and his BoS faction united the entire raider clans in the world into some sort of super power that later colonized the stars
>>
>>320330967
If you've ever had a sore on/in your mouth, you have herpes
Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.