[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I buy Scholar of the First Sin if I already own DSII plus DLCs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 2014-10-09_00005.jpg (164 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-10-09_00005.jpg
164 KB, 1920x1080
Should I buy Scholar of the First Sin if I already own DSII plus DLCs?
>>
>>320258624
Even as a diehard fan of SOTFS, I say, get it as cheap as possible on sale.

SOTFS is a straight upgrade in every category though.
>>
Not really. The greatest value of sotfs is that it comes bundled with all the dlc. Also keep in mind your saves won't transfer.
>>
>>320258624
Nah. Unless you REALLY want to play multiplayer or see the new enemy placement.
>>
>>320258624
no
>>
am playing through it now it's a lot harder than the original
>>
>>320259306
>>320259337
>includes all dlc
>upgraded engine, shadows and lighting actually work as intended, world looks better
>FPS related bugs for PC have been fixed; iframes work as intended, weapons don't randomly break super fast, etc
>shockwaves have been fixed
>enemy placements have been fixed for the most part, one or two spots have become worse but overall it's better
>item placements have been changed around for the better
>more npc invaders

Not to mention that it's the version that people play online. Practically nobody still plays DaS2, it isn't even listed under Steam stats anymore. SOTFS has completely replaced it.
>>
If you own it on steam you can actually buy an upgrade that just gives you SOTFS for 20 USD
Over all I really liked SOTFS and thought it was an improvement all around but it is just the same game so you have to have loved the original for SOTFS to be worth it.
>>
>>320259685
>>320259802
Basically SOTFS is what Dark Souls 2 should have released at. B-Team never had an excuse for the fuck up that was normal Dark Souls 2, but "now that the dust has settled", SOTFS is just what you play now.
>>
>>320259685
>includes all dlc
OP already bought the DLCs.
>upgraded engine, shadows and lighting actually work as intended, world looks better
Hardly if at all. It just adds more post-processing shit that makes some areas look slightly better, but mostly just blurs everything. Like for example skybox in Heide.
>FPS related bugs for PC have been fixed; iframes work as intended, weapons don't randomly break super fast, etc
>shockwaves have been fixed
That's been fixed looong ago in the vanilla DS2.
>enemy placements have been fixed for the most part, one or two spots have become worse but overall it's better
"Fixed". They've been changed. Many worse than before.
>item placements have been changed around for the better
This one is mostly true. I agree.
>more npc invaders
Did they add any more invaders other than Forlorn in Drangleic itself, outside the DLC areas? Anyway, that's a plus too.
>Not to mention that it's the version that people play online.
Yeah, that's also true.
>>
What's the best build for SOTFS runthrough?
>>
I'm waiting for it to be on sale, on top of the discount for owning.
>>
>>320260075
>Hardly if at all
It's a vastly significant difference. Maybe you just use a bad monitor?
>That's been fixed looong ago in the vanilla DS2.
Huh really. IIRC it's still an issue in DaS2, it's why people still cry about it.
>Many worse than before.
Such as the dragon in Heide, I guess, but what else? Pretty much everything else is better placed.
>>
Only if you really enjoy Souls PVP cause the original DaS2 is dead
>>
>>320260152
No equpment (not even items), fists only, no spending souls, restart on death, no bonfire.
>>
File: Dark-Souls-2-20-1024x576.png (1 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Souls-2-20-1024x576.png
1 MB, 1024x576
>>320260351
SotFS uses the same lighting engine, they didn't even bother adding new shadow casting light sources outside of the existing ones.
They added another fucking executioner's horse on the very top of the Drangleic castle. But that's really only bad lore-wise. Now what area really got fucked up by the new enemy placement is the part of Iron Keep before the Smelter Demon. It was perfectly fine before, one of the most well made areas in the sequel. But in SotFS they just make all the knights swarm you at a certain point.
>>
>>320260075
>Many worse than before.

The only instance of that is Iron Keep, as far as I know.
>>
>>320260432
I kinda do, but I wouldn't buy it just for PvP.
>>
>>320261025
That one horse miniboss is really easy though. Thanks for reminding me about the nightmare that is the new Iron Keep though, I can agree that they fucked that one up badly.

Really though, I haven't played either in a while now (I'm actually going to replay SOTFS next week after I get a new controller), but I definitely remember that many areas look significantly better with new lighting and shadows. Many places basically require a torch to get through because you definitely won't see shit without it, such as the entirety of the Gutter.
I play on a heavily configured IPS monitor though. I used to have a crappy TN that would be too bright in games no matter what; where with every one of those "lower your brightness until you can barely see" things I could see things perfectly clearly even at lowest setting.
>>
>>320261025
>But in SotFS they just make all the knights swarm you at a certain point

Ew
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.