[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did this actually do anything?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: Memoryexpansionpak_box.jpg (49 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
Memoryexpansionpak_box.jpg
49 KB, 500x342
Did this actually do anything?
>>
It increased the amount of memory the N64 had. It was required for most of Perfect Dark, the entirety of Donkey Kong 64, and a couple other games.
>>
Slightly better textures, considerably worse framerate.
>>
>>320204671
Make games go even slower and get the console hot as shit
>>
Yep, couldn't play majoras mask without it.
>>
>>320204827
worse framerate? I thought it improved that shit?

maybe I should take mine out
>>
It helped your n64 play intentionally unoptimized games.
>>
File: 1449302417826.jpg (13 KB, 540x296) Image search: [Google]
1449302417826.jpg
13 KB, 540x296
>>320204827
>increase system RAM
>games run slower
>>
In addition to what others have said,some games were optimized with it in mind. You can play Gauntlet Legends without it but it runs better with it.
>>
>>320204912
Well, it's been a while, so I might be mistaken. Either way, Perfect Dark ran like shit.
>>
only if the game was programmed to use it

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_64_Expansion_Pak

majora's mask is the only japanese game to do anything significant with it
>>
>>320204912
Most games used the expansion pack to run at a higher resolution, which in turn meant shit framerate.

It did make select games run better in their normal resolution though. Duke Nukem Zero Hour coming to mind since it ran horrendous without it.
>>
Gauntlet Legends used it, but that game had such ridiculous color saturation that it just didn't look that good, regardless of how fun it was.
>>
>>320204812
>tfw there will never be a DK 64 3ds release
>>
>>320204812
Majora's Mask was one of the most significant expansion pak-only games. Also, a lot of later games used it to allow for 480i resolution, which looked a lot nicer than 240p. Rogue Squadron is a good example.

Jet Force Gemini was going to have expansion pak support initially but that feature got scrapped, probably because increasing the resolution slowed the game down too much even with the expansion pak.

I think Dinosaur Planet was set to be expansion pak only, too. It would have been the most ambitious N64 game ever if it had actually come out, although obviously it later became a Star Fox spinoff on the Gamecube.
>>
>>320204991
>>320205019
man I just know that ever since having my 64 ages ago I bought it in a pack that came with the expansion pak so i've never actually tried without it, i'm going to go test it now and report back to you fags
>>
>>320205551
>so i've never actually tried without it
Hope you have the original dummy jumper pack, since the N64 won't boot up without something in that slot.
>>
>>320204671
It let me play the best shooter of the generation Perfect Dark.
>>
>>320205659
holy shit, I probably lost that years ago. well so much for testing
>>
>>320205659
got the dummy pack. conkers bad fur day seems to run better. trying banjo tooie now
>>
Let's face it, everyone bought DK64 just for the Expansion Pak.
>>
>>320206202

>implying the multiplayer arena wasn't the best multiplayer besides Smash

fuck 100%ing the story mode, grenades only fights were great.
>>
>>320206019
I can't tell with banjo tooie, I think it's running about the same. goldeneye runs worse.
>>
>>320206517
>That one guy who always picked Krusha
>>
>>320204991
Nigger you couldn't even play like 80% of PD without it.
>>
File: cease.jpg (61 KB, 408x473) Image search: [Google]
cease.jpg
61 KB, 408x473
>>320204671
>dad gets you dk64 from garage sale
>its missing the expansion pack
>>
File: 1325701421001.jpg (250 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1325701421001.jpg
250 KB, 600x600
>>320206762
>dad gets your mom pregnant
>leaves
>>
>>320206861
Stop feeling sorry for yourself and go knock up his mom and leave to show him who's boss
>>
>>320204671
it made it so you couldn't play Space Station Silicon Valley
Also needed it for DK64 because Rare literally couldn't find a way to make it work without it
>>
>>320207153
Did it really make silicon valley unplayable? That is a damned shame
>>
>>320207292
yep it freezes at start up
sadly I don't have a jumper pak
>>
>>320204671
It expanded Dong.
>>
File: 1351564610189.jpg (90 KB, 561x662) Image search: [Google]
1351564610189.jpg
90 KB, 561x662
>never got to play vidya as a little kid
>decide to start with an n64 during Christmas break at my cousin's house
>go into my cousins attic and take his n64
>find DK64 and plug that shit in
>console won't start
>blowing on it like crazy
>still won't start
>complain to friends on skype that it's broken
>they don't know what to do
>go to flea market 5 minutes away and buy a new one
>get that shit home and plug it in
>get it working
>about to start playing
>family comes in asking me to help wrap with presents so we can surprise my little cousin for one of his first Christmases
>help them wrap and fall asleep at 3 a.m.

>wake up
>ohshitit'schristmas
>exchanging gifts with the family
>mom gives me a box
>"hey son, so I was thinking about way back when you were a little kid and we didn't let you play much vidya, then I remembered that we got you an n64 one year, but we didn't give it to you in the end because you lost your straight A's that year"
>box has unused n64 in it
>be pissed
>go to aunt's house
>other cousin who likes vidya sees me
>"hey so remember when you told me you never played Pokemon Snap? Well guess what?!"
>I now have 4 n64s
>"Haha anon guess what? Your friends sent you their Nintendo's separately as late Christmas presents! Guess you have 4 more now!"
>I now have 8 n64s
>don't want anyone to feel bad so I just stuff them all in my closet
>leave them there and don't touch them until next semester

>come back over spring break
>godawful smell coming from my room
>look inside closet
>cat shit everywhere
>dried up diarrhea running down the exhaust ports
>"You know what? NO, I'M GOING TO PLAY AN N64 GAME FOR ONCE IN MY FUCKING LIFE"
>grab the least shit-covered n64 out of the graveyard and gag while I hook that shit up
>slap in crusty DK64 cartridge
>heaving while blowing all over that shit to get it working
>finally the screen lights up
> "REQUIRES N64 EXPANSION PAK"
>shatter console with shit-covered fists

And that's why I emulate now
>>
>>320209463
What the fuck is the context of your pic?
>>
>>320209147
>It expanded Dong.

Came here to post this
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.