[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could someone please explain to me how Minecraft became a cultural
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 18
File: armor.png (2 MB, 1366x766) Image search: [Google]
armor.png
2 MB, 1366x766
Could someone please explain to me how Minecraft became a cultural phenomenon? What did this game do to achieve such popularity?
>>
It's virtual Lego with some nice ambient music and sounds and no correct way to play
>>
>>320128781
Roblox did it first and did it better yet it still didn't get half as popular
>>
>>320128558

>encourages building with blocks
>welcomes autists

goes hand in hand.
>>
>>320128883
That's not true. Roblox is based off of user made maps, which have very specific ways to play.
>>
>>320128976
>User made maps
Minecraft does the same thing, mate
and players can make up their own rules as well

only difference is Roblox starts off from scratch and Minecraft just spawns you in an already built world
>>
File: Stratosphere-Settlement-by-EBR.jpg (279 KB, 1480x708) Image search: [Google]
Stratosphere-Settlement-by-EBR.jpg
279 KB, 1480x708
>>320128883
It looks like shit
>>
It's the GTA appeal but kid friendly, just a big open game that can be played infinitely and requires literally 0 skill.
>>
>>320129090
Minecraft allows you to do the same thing, but that's not the main way to play it. It definitely didn't start like that either.
>>
2 billion us dollars

man...
>>
File: 1419693520795.webm (585 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1419693520795.webm
585 KB, 1280x720
Kids like blocks.
Kids like watching manchildren play with blocks for some reason.
>>
It was liked enough people kept paying money for it.
>>
>>320128883

There's nothing unusual about that. Being first, even being the best, doesn't guarantee success. 99% of the successes out there basically just got lucky.

I'm not saying they don't deserve it or they didn't work hard or anything like that, just that there are plenty of others just as deserving and even more so that get fuck all.
>>
It went viral with kids.
It just happens sometimes
>>
>>320128558
It's LEGO: The Game without the charm or colour so it appears to grimdark tryhard autusts
>>
When did the Simpsons become such Howdy-Doody American Institution Applebee's bullshit?
>>
>>320128558
The social aspect of the game was great and it is easy to advertise the game because faggots show other faggots what they made.
>>
File: OK.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
OK.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
It's like Lego but digital, and the YOU CAN DO ANYTHING™ aspect.

Also it's popular with LPers so that skyrocketed sales.

It's a pretty sad state to see where it's gone after the whole early-game stuff.
>>
>>320128558
Weird isn't it?

You know that one grandpa simpson quote about how whats hip seems strange? That's me and Minecraft. I normally "get" a lot of fads, I can see why they're appealing. With Minecraft I just don't see that. Its obviously not for my generation.
>>
Part Legos, part internet hype, part luck
>>
the game did nothing, the new generation "gamers" changed, by not playing anymore.
>>
Becoming big just as the mobile casual explosion happened.

My 5 year old nephew fucking loves minecraft on his iPad.
>>
>>320129660
This. Popularity is basically random and impossible to predict.
>>
>>320129242
This look a billion time better than minecraft.
>>
>>320129242
And next to Minecraft it's the fucking Sistine Chapel
>>
File: 1448599703478.png (15 KB, 160x169) Image search: [Google]
1448599703478.png
15 KB, 160x169
>OP actually has to have this explained to him
>>
It's all this boards fault

/v/ shilled the hell out of it and made it popular
>>
>>320128558
dont worry OP, i am sure the teacher will tell you at next smester
>>
>>320128558
it gave people hope where you could have this survival game that throws you out in the middle of nowhere and build an empire from nothing. Going through the harsh winters, fending off the zombies at night, exploring, building, no game had sparked a light like this before. we forgave the shit graphics and lack of features because it was going to be so much. The game wasn't finished. our imaginations went wild at what this game could be. It was only after years of nothing but disappointment that we realised the game was going to remain an empty shell forever. It was /v/ that made minecraft popular. It spread on /v/ like dwarf fortress and was picked up by youtubers, the rest was history. The people who came late though will never know the hope that infdev gave, and because of that, this hope will never be realised.
>>
>>320128935
I get what you're trying to say, but there can't be that many autists to keep the game afloat by themselves. Besides kids being another demographic I'm sure there'd have to be plenty of adults too?
>>
Because it's cute, it's easy to get into and sunk any number of hours you wish or just play for half an hour, it's fun with friends, it's hilarious at times, basically the same reasons why everyone loves nintendo consoles, nothing wrong with it, it was a decent game, maybe still is, haven't played it for years, it's just that developer turned out to be a massive faggot after tasting some money, guess he was "indie" for a reason, that's all really.
>>
autism
>>
File: 1435547677783.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1435547677783.gif
2 MB, 750x750
>brother has a son with his wife
>they get divorced
>see my nephew 10 years later
>he tells me he enjoys video games
>ask him what he likes to play
>he tells me he enjoys playing minecraft
>>
>>320131446
So?

It's like LEGO, except you don't need to waste a fortune buying bricks/pieces. Do you have something against LEGO too?
>>
>>320131446
>I like music
>why does he like top 40 music and nothing else
God man, you're so pathetic. Liking videogames is the same as liking music, it's not a lifestyle
>>
>>320129696
But it has lots of clors.
>>
>>320131446
You should have told your brother to keep vaccines away from him.
>>
>>320131446
At least he actually plays games when he says he likes them.
>>
File: Bart-Mangled_Banner.png (147 KB, 493x367) Image search: [Google]
Bart-Mangled_Banner.png
147 KB, 493x367
>>320129759
Wasn't that always the case?
>>
File: 0.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>320128558
Exploited the skyrocketing rates of autism in the west.
>>
>>320128558
A random, expanding world. It's the opposite of the streamlined games we have now for the most time. The last random map generating game I remember was age of empires 1 and 2, some c&c titles too, but that's over a decade ago
>>
>>320131446
not only are you cancerous for hating him because he likes minecraft

you're fucking cancer for that garbage viral marketed album

get good taste and grow up, kid
>>
>>320132086

when did i said I hated him? I was only sad because i couldnt introduce into fun games because of the vindictive bitch of a mother he has

also, what album are you talking about
>>
File: bitchell_pachampion.jpg (25 KB, 370x457) Image search: [Google]
bitchell_pachampion.jpg
25 KB, 370x457
>>320128558

A new generation will have a new game which defines them. For ours, mostly, it was Mario. Even if you started playing games on the PS1, Mario's shadow was all over the games of that era. Arcades still mattered at the time, but eventually games like Mario eclipsed it.

The previous generation had Pac-Man and arcades in general as a general gaming touchstone. Arcades themselves only just died completely as Minecraft was released.

Minecraft is the new gold standard for kids today. Anything they play will have to measure by that game's standards. I don't really care for the game myself, but I can understand the appeal.

By the time Minecraft is supplanted though, games like those I grew up playing will be considered dead completely, with possibly only a few releases a year to sate the ancient fags who still are cognizant enough to play games.
>>
>>320132261
the gif you fucking moron
>>
File: Born2feel.jpg (101 KB, 724x844) Image search: [Google]
Born2feel.jpg
101 KB, 724x844
>Tfw the glory days of Minecraft greifing are over
>Tfw Avo will never ride again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5Rmj56LeQ

I miss this shit, it got me back into griefing just like team Roomba's old TF2 shit motivated me and my friends to fuck up servers

What kind of online games are grief friend these days?
>>
>>320132361

what about it? it's just a sad pepe looking through a window on a rainy day
>>
>>320132573
typical dumb frogposter doesn't even know what he's posting
back to facebook
>>
Why do rat kids love this game so much?
>>
>Its another Lisa episode
>Its an episode that centers around a celebrity

Modern simpsons in a nutshell
>>
>>320132687

You're autistic as hell dude.
>>
File: 1440303249387.jpg (12 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1440303249387.jpg
12 KB, 250x214
>>320132687

>being triggered by pepes

pfffhhahaha
>>
File: 1389831472320.png (3 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1389831472320.png
3 KB, 150x150
Who else here has never once played Minecraft?

I feel like I'm the only one.
>>
File: AAAAAHHHHHHH.png (127 KB, 229x246) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAHHHHHHH.png
127 KB, 229x246
>>320128558
It's like legos without the dangers of stepping on one

Pic related: It's me stepping on one.
>>
>>320128883
Well, Roblox didn't viral market on /v/
>Tfw people don't even remember that Notch himself shitposted his shit here, first Wurm, then Minecraft
>>
File: 1443746175312.png (372 KB, 628x475) Image search: [Google]
1443746175312.png
372 KB, 628x475
>female boss sits during lunch break at our desk in cafeteria and talks about her nephew starting to play vidya and says minecraft
>co worker looks at me and says anon plays it too haha
>she gives me a weird look and I try to laugh it off, explaining it's fun and creative, still feel dumb
>>
>>320133004
>admitting you play Minecraft
>to people you aren't even friends with
why though
>>
Young kids aged 7-12 either play Minecraft or watch lets play's of minecraft. The son of a friend of mine is in a class of kids around 12 year olds and almost all of them play minecraft, they even look funny if you say that you do not play it. It is a hyped thing for kids.

Another found out that his younger sister of around 10 watches a lot of lets plays of it but it is all shitty stuff, 2 girls sitting in a tree talking and then scream and run from zombies. He then showed her that you can also play it yourself and she was shocked you could just do it on a phone. Kids don't really like to play games they watch other people play it and sit along for the story coming from the other guy's mouth.
>>
File: 1444319908629.jpg (283 KB, 528x712) Image search: [Google]
1444319908629.jpg
283 KB, 528x712
>>320132527
Right now?

GTA V.

Completely undetectable if you use a simple dll injector.

Start off with infamous to get the feel for things. Learn how to get pedestrians to attack you, how to spawn fire on yourself, spawn money for yourself, ect.

Then get a mod called "Developer mode" which puts you in a developer camera made only for rockstar employees. This means nobody can see you in the player list, and you can spy on anyone.

Then fuck with them, I guess.

>>320131446
also I would like to know what album was being referenced in this post, cyberpunk shit drokks my socks off yo.
>>
File: 1431103092523.jpg (50 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1431103092523.jpg
50 KB, 500x367
/v/ liked it when nobody else did. And once it got popular, we had to start hating it to keep the balance. Because if we don't hate everything, nobody will.
>>
>>320128558

>please explain to me how Minecraft became a cultural phenomenon?

It was the defacto Indie game that started the mass craze that led to the Mainstream Indie game flood.

It's pretty much an autistic honeypot. Bright colors, stacking, and so many other things that sort of act as crack for Autist.

It's literally legos.
>>
>>320133231
Most of the people at my company play vidya rather than watching football and talking about that instead
>>
>>320132981
You seem to like stepping on them more apparently.
>>
I know how it started, some guy who made Modern Warfare 2 videos on youtube discovered minecraft.

Guy averaged 200k views per video so it wasn't a surprise kids flocked to minecraft afterwards.

Notch became a millionaire overnight literally.
>>
>>320132992
He used to be a regular in the old amateur game dev general.
>>
>>320132952
you are, but don't worry you're not missing out much, the game is fun for a while and then you get bored. you have to be an autist to keep playing ad nauseam
>>
>Allowed people to play the game in Alpha
>LEGOs (but not LEGOs)
>Pleasing music
>Multiplayer functions that make the game (I can't see anyone wanting to play this in single player, unless they're an autist)
>Something for the people that want to waste their time (generally the younger population, since they have no jobs)
>got sold for 2 billion dollars
>there's even a documentary for Minecraft

The question I ask is what kind of autists does it attract? The stupid kind or the kind that take things too far?
>>
>>320128558
Can you explain me why are they still making the Simpsons? Shit stopped being funny like 10 years ago. Move on, people, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>320129529
why is the webum so stretched
>>
>>320128558

It's Infinite Legos: The Video Game so children/manchildren fucking love it.
>>
i work at hot topic and gamestop, so i get to see mom's come in looking for games for their children. only to realize the game their kid actually wanted (usually CoD, GTA, etc) is rated M, most of the times they get suggested minecraft by the employees, since it's simple and easy to start, and the rating appeases the angry moms.

a few weeks later i'll see the same moms come into my store at hot topic asking for minecraft shirts for their son, claiming that their kid is addicted to it.

i'm sure most of the kids would rather be playing other games if their parents didn't know about the game ratings but instead have to settle for minecraft.
>>
>>320133940
If someone happens to be EATING OUT MY ASS
>>
File: Tetris_Boxshot.jpg (92 KB, 320x322) Image search: [Google]
Tetris_Boxshot.jpg
92 KB, 320x322
>>320128558
Could someone please explain to me how Tetris became a cultural phenomenon? What did this game do to achieve such popularity?
>>
File: MCDONALD'S!.jpg (45 KB, 642x548) Image search: [Google]
MCDONALD'S!.jpg
45 KB, 642x548
>>320128558
Let's try break it down

>Creativity
As much as an empty game it is, virtual Legos is a simple but flexible enough concept so many can find their own shit to do to have fun

>Indie/hipster cred
It was an unusual game so people played it because it wasn't CoD and so it had be cool. Plus it was cheap, i guess

>Memes and autism
From simple webcomics to forced creepypastas and shit like "Needed in Minecraft", autists and tryhards managed to come up with enough jokes and 2deep4u headcanons to help spread knowledge of the game and make it more recognizable. A kid/edgy teen hears about Herobrine so he decides to try the game. It's like when people play Portal because they heard a "the cake is a lie" joke

>Youtubers
Because of the 1st point it's easy as fuck for anyone with a capable machine to come up with something for people to watch. Building tutorials, mod "reviews", hardcore matches, narrative stuff, all shit that helped again spreading the popularity of the game.

>Costant """""renovation"""""
This is probably the most important part along with the youtubers
The game is almost 6 years old, but somehow it always manages to come back at the center of the attention. Modding and small updates are probably the main drive that keeps people interested, but there's also stuff like the sudden Xbox edition, now the Wii U one and Telltale's Story Mode, all things that time and time again bring in different audiences and fuel the game's immortality. Plus the marketers recognized a new kind of buyer, so after years we started getting actual toys and children books. Minecraft is becoming childhood material because of this stuff, teens will talk about it to their little brothers and sisters, kids will tell to other kids, parents will get used to it as a brand of products they should look out for to make their kids happy, and so on
>>
>>320128558
Autism mostly
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.