[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What caused the fighting game genre to miss the esports train
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
What caused the fighting game genre to miss the esports train this fucking hard?
>>
The skill floor is higher.
>>
Who cares about viewers?
>>
street fighter is pretty big
>>
Girls with big racks do not play fighting games.
>>
>>320115068
Everyone should
>>
Fighting games actualy take skill
>>
>>320115004
Barrier of entry.
>>
>>320115004
It didn't. If the game isn't Street Fighter or Marvel, no one really gives a shit.
>>
>>320115004
Japanese developers don't give two shits about Western eSports, and made no effort to support them. A good example: When EVO announced they weren't going to have Tekken on their lineup one year, Harada blatantly said he didn't care. Nintendo only really got involved after the backlash to them attempting to shut a tournament down made them realize they had a cash cow waiting to be milked.
>>
>>320115004
Because it's a 1v1 so they can't blame their teammates for losing
>>
>>320115004
SFIV is a huge international esport though
>>
File: 1445447289691.gif (401 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1445447289691.gif
401 KB, 480x360
>>320115653
>generalizing
Its only you anon, only you...
>>
>>320115004
Only niggers play fighting games
>>
>>320115906
This desu baka
>>
>>320115004
Because fightings are not interesting to watch
>>
>>320115253
>this
kek
>>
>>320115797
>When EVO announced they weren't going to have Tekken on their lineup one year, Harada blatantly said he didn't care.
and other time he put cash in mr Wizard pocket. He cares.
Tekken sells more in EU and Japan, US is historically a Capcom country. Tekken is also perceived as a shallow fighter in US, while Asia takes it more seriously. Because of that Korea has a Tekken TV show and Japan gets tournaments each week.
>>
You imply the FGC wants to be part of the mainstream esports group, it doesn't. The rest of esports is too concerned with professionalism and growth, getting on TV etc. The FGC is a bunch of dudes competing and trash talking.
>>
Support, simply as that. Capcom has been giving a shit ton of support to their games in the west compared to Namco or ASW.
>>
>>320117654
Only if you don't understand what's going ob
>>
>>320117654
Just because you've watched only SF4 doesn't mean fighting games aren't interesting to watch.

If you know what's going on, shit can get very hype, very quick. There's a reason why people who don't know what the fuck is going on just see fighting games azns/blacks/mexicans/white trash "chimping" out.

Fighting games have a huge skill barrier that prevents scrubby little impatient fucks from getting good and they hate it and write off fighting games as only for nignogs.

If you want to have mindless fun in fighting games, button mash. You'll do specials eventually and you'll get interested. You learn what works fundamentally first and then learn combos.
>>
>>320117654
That's wholly a matter of preference, but I think they're much more entertaining to watch than assfaggots or RTS, which generally require more of an understanding of what's going on to be interesting.
I'm just kidding, assfaggots are fucking boring to watch
>>
Young white teens are the main audience of twitch games and esports.

White people are notoriously irrelevant in fighting games, I say this as a white guy who loves them. Also the age factor, most fighting game players are older and less susceptible to marketing and sponsorship, etc.

Simplfying the issue I know but it has a lot to do with it.
>>
>>320117962
So the FGC care about actually competing with each other instead of trying to sell their rectums to sponsors?
>>
because the FGC is just a bunch of young, overweight, usually non-white, loud autists that make it embarrassing to watch
>>
>>320115004
Fighting games have become overly technical and obtus

however i wouldn't want them to be dumbed down
>>
>>320118283
Yes, if you watch a FGC tourney compared to League of Legends it has much more of a get together and compete with friends feel more than a giant production.
>>
>>320115004
GG is way too hard for the normies. Remember that Dota 2 is considered complex by them.

A lot of people watch SF4 because it is popular, but they don't have any idea of what is going on during the matches, normies are scum just like that.
>>
>>320115004
Esports is a PC gaming phenomenom. It started with games from genres dominated by the PC like fps with quake and CS and rts with starcraft, and recently mobas. The biggest sponsors and money come from PC gaming apparel.
On the other hand fighting games have always been an arcade and console genre.
>>
>>320118072
that's the problem though, is like golf, if you don't understand, you don't care
>>
>>320115004
Because fighting games are rather new to PC.
>>
>>320115004
No developer is dumping millions of dollars to pretend a fighting game is a sport.

The only reason ASSFAGGOTS and CoD are big is because developers like Riot and Valve spend tons of money on pro leagues and tournaments.
>>
>>320118536
That's not really a problem though.
>>
File: Smug anime bio-android.gif (497 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Smug anime bio-android.gif
497 KB, 500x281
>Fighting games aren't fun to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA
>>
esports is a pc thing and fighting games are not played on pc.
>>
>>320118584
>The only reason ASSFAGGOTS and CoD are big is because developers like Riot and Valve spend tons of money on pro leagues and tournaments.
You can dislike them but don't be retarded. They have huge scenes because they have huge playerbases.
>>
>>320118584
It's called investing, and it's why MOBAs are now more popular than fighting games.
>>
>>320118591
actually if we consider GG effects and stuff like that it's not actually a problem but still, people watch SF without knowing what the fuck is going on
>>
>>320118676
>fighting games are not played on pc.

then explain how I've been beating sonyfat ass over crossplay in SF5
>>
>>320115061
this

despite "top tier" teams E-sports is actually casual as fuck, the appeal to E-sports is to get people to be "Man I could've made a play like that" or "I make ace like that every game I just need a team and we could enter"

E-sports games are all casual shit, but in fighting games you rarely will see people go "I could pull that Daigo parry no sweat" "I can do that 98hit touch of death combo"

the gap is way wider and while you'll be able to at least damage legends they will ALWAYS hold the advantage, E-sports is more RNG or dumb temates that ruin your chance at the pot in fighters it's JUST YOU, no excuses, no escape, no mercy
>>
>>320118616

Yep, wasn't fun to watch at all, for someone like me who never played that game and especially not at a deeper level.

You have to be able to relate to the skill of the players, which is only possible if you are a player of the game yourself, or theres a more universal skill used - like aiming.

Also
>>320118676

Consoles only just now became able to stream their shit between eachother.
Meanwhile we had PC titles with spectator modes for decades.
>>
>>320118616
He'll call you out on the parry being an overused meme-moment.
Use lesser known moments like https://youtu.be/OVQcpZfw6vs
>>
>>320118838
>a game that isn't even released
Companies are only now waking up to pc and it's only capcom and only one game.
>>
>>320117654
They are infinitely more exciting that staring at grass while koreans cheer, or one camera trying to switch between 10 screens and missing most of the action.
>>
>>320119050
Only one that matters desu. SF5 for competition, Skullgirls for fun and lewd.
>>
Are people just ignoring the fact that the price barrier to get into a fighting game is usually like fucking 150+ bucks on PC?

That's the reason. Nothing else. Also the fact that Street Fighter even manages any presence on Twitch is impressive.
>>
Fighting games are bottom of the barrel for videogames

No one plays them, they don't make any money and they aren't fun
>>
only shitskins like fighting games
>>
>>320119050
> only capcom and only one game.
Not like Capcom has any other fighters they're willing to put out anymore. Marvel's off doing their own thing now, and all their original fighters other than SF are long dead.
>>
>>320119246

Look we get it, you suck at them.

>>320119278
Take your shitposting back to /pol/
>>
>>320119432
[TRIGGER WARNING: RACISM]

shut up nigger
>>
>>320115004
>skill ceiling is too high
>not a noob friendly
>requires some thinking
>>
>>320119473
[TRIGGER WARNING: CASUAL]

Git gud scrub lord.
>>
File: 1423337053088.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1423337053088.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>>320119601
kek
>>
>>320117654
>implying this isn't the hypest shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM
>>
>>320119694
Oh look, the second time it's been posted in the thread.
>>
>>320119694
>bunch of fat mexicans and asians hooping and hollering

If I wanted to see that I'd just go to downtown LA.
>>
Fighting games are the golf of esports.

Not particularly fun to watch for anyone that doesn't actually play it. Requires high execution. Expensive to get into. Has a relatively club like scene.

But if you're in then it's fucking great.
>>
>>320119806
You fucking what? Chess is the golf of esports. Fighting games in the Basketball of esports.
>>
>>320117654
Pretty much.
>>
pay outs for tourneys. It used to be that the only big pay out in the FGC was evo and some outliers. these are people that used to play for a pizza. its helps when companies like capcom doing shit like the capcom cup and WB doing their pro tour. Makes the tournament actually worth going to because if you win you will cover the plane ticket and then some.
>>
Fighting games haven't innovated enough

As an observer Marvel vs Capcoms were the most exciting so far

Fighting games need real depth, and not just the boring frame data bullshit and footsies for 10 rounds
>>
>>320119876

>chess
>esports
>>
>>320119876
Chess is the chess of esports dumb shit.
>>
>>320119945
>real depth

What did he mean by that?
>>
>>320119945
> MAHVEL
> depth

Anon.
>>
because fighting games are shit

the free market is right on this one
>>
File: clip+(2015-08-18+at+06.40.08).jpg (163 KB, 1280x1282) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2015-08-18+at+06.40.08).jpg
163 KB, 1280x1282
Only tangentially related but this shit was funny as hell

https://youtu.be/j2OIl9D59cs#t=31m13s
>>
File: 1416774376472.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1416774376472.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1080
The FGC is full of people waiting for welfare checks; it started in arcades where poor kids who couldn't afford an SNES/N64 would run to every day and waste like two dollars a day for half an hour of play instead of saving up. Do you really expect people who are that shitty with managing money to organize events so they're lucrative?

Also ASSFAGGOTs are free and free fighting games (Rising Thunder) burn out because they're usually bad.
>>
>>320119806
>expensive to get into
Not nearly as much as they used to be. If you can find an FGC in your area, you don't need to spend jack shit on travel until you go to tourneys. Also ASW is like, the only developer still doing the $40 game for new character bullshit anymore.

>>320119945
As someone who wasn't into fightan games at all until recently: I disagree. I've always found either the fast-paced shit like Guilty Gear or Melee to be more entertaining than MvC

Also, fightans have a fuckton more depth and execution than ASSFAGGOTs. Have you even fucking attempted to look into the shit you need to know in order to pull off insane combos?
>>
>>320115004
it was also part the shyness of the japanese getting into E-sports. We always had high level play since SF2. The thing is that you did locals and nationals for glory. Now that there is more support and a system for going pro. People can go and make going to tourneys a job.
>>
Because there's no money in fighting games.
See www.esportsearnings.com/games

Or for a case study take www.esportsearnings.com/teams/101-evil-geniuses
EG is the only sponsor on the list that has had fighting game players for a long time. It is also arguably the team that has had the most success recently having won evo and last year capcup. Yet despite eg players winning thrice the amount of fighting game tournaments than dota 2 players they earned EG almost 60 times less.
>>
>>320120113
how the fuck do you get hit with that 2 fucking times in a row and not think to back the fuck up like holy shit
>>
>>320120182
this is the reason why games like melee are going to die when it comes to pro level tourneys. Nintendo is not going to throw a pro tour with bonus cash. Also this is only the second going on 3rd year of capcom cup. Also most payouts for fighting games was like 500 dollars for first place.
>>
>>320115004
Fighting game community is full of elitist shits that hate new blood and scare off any who are interested in the genre.
>>
The real Daigo hype:
\http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm6286886
>>
>>320120540

Spotted the one who can't handle the bants
>>
>>320115061
And honestly that's a good thing. I'd rather have a tight nit community that's filled with good competition instead of the autism fueled mobas.
>>
>>320120540
I always heard this shit, but my first time going to a local everyone was nice as fuck. At least that was the case with Melee, despite what I kept hearing about "tourneyfags".
>>
>>320120540
Maybe you shouldn't be such an entitled shit and think the world revolves around you while trying to get into a community.
>>
>>320120123
Spotted the person born after arcades died.
>>
>>320120868
Because melee isnt a fighting game, its a party game.
>>
>>320120909
Thanks for the example
>>
>>320119806

>expensive to get into

not really

people act like fightsticks are a requirement to play fighting games but they will actually make you WORSE at fighting games until you eventually adjust and there are several pro players that play on pad so it's no excuse
>>
>>320120540

>be a complete and total noon at fighting games
>buy guilty gear xrd steam and play with /v/
>play against way better players and improve slowly

I don't get what you mean by elitist pricks, they all seem chill to me
>>
>>320121059
Compared to other esports it's still a 40-60$ investment into losing a lot before getting good.
>>
>>320120540
Respect is solely based on merit. You can be an asshole, but if you're the best player people will respect you. And vice versa.
>>
>>320120250
>He threw me
>Ok I'll get him on wakeup
>He threw me again
>Nobody is retarded enough to do that 3 times in a row
>Shit he's retarded enough to do that 3 times in a row
>>
>>320121059
lets not forget the buy a update mentally from the developers
>>
>>320121059
There is a reason they use fightsticks and it only takes around a week at most to get used to it. You will never reach your full potential if you stick with a pad.
>>
>>320121487
The best US and French player uses a pad

but yeah the price barrier on fighting games are insane
>>
>>320121570
The best US player in what?

USF4? Stick
MKX? Stick
BB? Stick
GG? Another stick user
>>
>>320121647
He's probably talking about Snake eyez and luffy.

Snake is better than Luffy, but he's a total fraud when he's not playing the gief and Luffy has to ride broken characters to do well.
>>
>>320117654
It's rather that no one interesting stream the game.
Jonio and Biscuits always get around 200 viewers.
>>
Boring to watch

Sorry, but that's just it
>>
>>320121647

when does the best MKX player use a stick?

sonicfox has been winning everything left and right and im pretty sure him and most people that play MKX use a pad since the game is designed for it
>>
>>320115004

God damn this thread is one of the worst collections of mouth breathing fuckwits I have seen on /v/ in literally... ok well only hours really, but still. I considered writing a long, nuanced post to begin touching on the actual issues (which are occasionally mentioned in the thread but are clouded by a sea of asinine cunts), but there wouldn't be a single person to have a genuine discussion with.
>>
>LE YOU GET HIT ONCE AND YOU'RE STUN LOCKED FOREVER GAMES
>>
For the millionth time, stick or pad is preference.

If you're fine with pad be happy you don't have to purchase a device just for fighting games. If you play stick you'll be able to play comfortably at a real arcade if you ever get the chance.
>>
File: FAB_TOD.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
FAB_TOD.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>320117654

Really now
>>
>>320121647
>GG?
Only american top 8 placer at EVO uses pad and half of the GG scene uses pad. Shit there's even a pad Zato player who's solid and get top 8 in some tournaments.
>>
>>320121135
to be fair this is /v/, we're all shit at guilty gear
>>
File: FABulous.webm (3 MB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
FABulous.webm
3 MB, 768x432
>>320122056
How does he do it?
>>
Barrier of entry is a thing. You can't deny it.
I am typing this message on a computer and clicking the I am not a robot checkbox with my mouse. This is pretty much all I need to play, say, any moba. Maybe if I were to play CS or starcraft 2 I'd also need to buy the game, they are old games so at this point it is cheap.
For fighting games you need the game, an expensive console and an expensive controller.
As other games are easy to pick up they have more players, which means some of those players will have the drive to play competively at a higher level. It also means more viewers, which means more exposure, which means more sponsors and more money.
>>
>>320122056
I really hate the mashing mechanic in GG
>>
They're hard to get into, so there's a small pool of people are care about the genre.

They're also kind of boring to watch. If there isn't an attractive female on screen I just zone out and lose interest.
>>
>>320122176
I'm not tbqh family
>>
>>320115004
Matches are decided too quickly to provide the casual viewer enough entertainment. And the games currently dominant in esports(clicker mobas) are those are that require little in regards to system power(hardware cost), start up(most are f2p), base skill( it's easy for the most to pick up and improve easily). Think the popularity of soccer vs boxing, except soccer isn't a shitty moba.
>>
>>320119194
The price barrier is literally the game. People play on pad just fine. As opposed to league and CS where people spend $500 on kb+m
>>
>>320117826
I don't see how it's considered shallow when it's leagues more complex than the Vs games, mortal kombat and dead or alive games
>>
>>320122091
Zidane was the only top 8 player to use a pad in GG, regardless of his nationality
>>
>>320122251

What the hell are you talking about
>>
>>320122438

he's probably talking about the stagger mechanic where you need to waggle and mash to recover faster

it is pretty annoying
>>
>>320122413
That's because the 7 other gooks play the game on arcade since they're born, and they still play it today.
Don't mix things up.
>>
Mirror matches are boring as hell and make up 65% of fighting game tournaments.
>>
>>320122438
The stun and stagger shit where you have to mash the buttons to get out of einstein.
>>
>>320122345
this, in regular esports and sports you get to see your favorite player/team for like an hour straight

in fightan you see him TWO MINUTES per match like 6 times tops with constant interruptions
>>
>>320122413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfO6ukG_Wz8

You don't need a stick to be good in GG.
>>
>trove
I should not have put so much money that I have put into that game.
>>
>>320117826

>tekken considered shallow

really?

man i've seen a lot of interviews and stuff from people who play other fighters and they said they tend to stay away from tekken because it's too complicated
>>
>>320122023
Try playing something other than Marvel.
>>
>>320120945
Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever.
>>
>>320122408
Most 3D fighters are considered shallow outside of Asia.

Honestly if it isn't Street Fighter most people outside of Asia in the FGC don't care. No one of merit actually plays Mortal Kombat and the guys that couldn't perform in SF anymore went to Killer Instinct for easy Microsoft money.
>>
>>320122408
Someone mashing buttons is more likely to win against a novice who is not mashing buttons in tekken than in street fighter. Or in other words, Eddie is too hard for Americans.
>>
>>320122251
You mean to get out of stun?

Like every fighting game has that buddy
>>
>>320117654

What? And mobas are?
>>
>>320122408

It's not shallow. Tekken is convoluted as fuck and scares off all of the newbies. The comp scene is also dominated by Koreans and Japanese who have been playing the game for well over a decade and obliterate anyone who tries to challenge them. No one in the US can compete, barring like 2 or 3 people, so they don't bother.
>>
>>320122663
uh no. No they don't.
>>
>>320115004
The FGC is full of fucking faggots, retards and videogame tough guys. 90% of the time they're shit talking each other or performing what looks like some kind of WWE monologue. Every player thinks he and he alone is amazing. The tourneys are either play for some 'goodies' or play for fucking chump change. There isn't a sing caster that doesn't just spout memes. There is no way to legitimize the brand. People with real money aren't going to touch what is quite literally a chimp-fest.
>>
>>320121059
Pads suitable for fighting games while cheaper, are really hard to find, though.

>>320121487
>>320121647
Didn't someone win a Street Fighter 4 National a while back with a PS1 controller connected to an adaptor?
>>
>>320118079

SF4 is the only fighting that IS interesting to watch. Everything else looks like a cluster fuck, especially Marvel.
>>
>>320118616
>has to pull that ONE moment from years ago

Yeah.... thought so.
>>
It's simply not fun to watch others play fighting games. If you're a noob you can watch dota and tell what's going on. If you're a noob you can't watch proessional street fighter.
Melee is different.
>>
>>320122787
The older SFs and Darkstalkers are pretty fun to watch, but no one plays those.
>>
>>320122056
You see, to someone who doesn't understand the characters inside out, this video means nothing.
>>
>>320115004
It's not Evo yet.
>>
>>320122587
>You don't need a stick to be good in GG.

I didn't say that. I'm just pointing it out.

I use a pad myself.
>>
>>320122663

it seems to be a mechanic that ArcSys love

i don't think any of the fighters that are currently played that aren't Arcyss titles have waggling (i.e. USFIV, MKX, KI, Tekken, Smash etc)
>>
>>320115004
fighting games arnt esports.
>>
>>320115004
>No event on
>No notable players streaming
>Anime game
Fighting games don't really have the "streamers" bullshit you see in other games.
Except that faggot Max and his retarded underaged fanbase.
>>
>>320123063
Pretty sure you waggle to get out of dizzy in SF. At least you did in SF2.
>>
>>320119806

You can't give a single a video game where it is actually fun to watch even if you don't know how to play it at some level.
>>
>>320122886
>melee is diffrent

do people actually believe this shit?
>>
>>320123145
nah, I waggle to get inside dizzy
>>
>>320123040
yea a lot of the best players in NA use pad.
>>
>>320123194
You can watch Melee profesionally while having only played it casually and know it's impressive. Same with Dota, Counterstrike etc.

Unlike SF, Tekken, Marvel
>>
>>320123168
The entire lets play youtube/twitch industry disagrees.
>>
>>320123145

oh yeah, i always forget you can waggle out of stun in SF4

thing is the time it takes to break out of stun in SF4 is really huge and unless the opponent has a complete brain fart you're going to eat a hugeass combo no matter what
>>
>>320115203
kek. no it isnt. ultra didnt even break a million sales. they get ok viewers (about avg daily csgo/dota2/lol viewers with no event going on) for their biggest event of the year and then quickly back down to 100 or less viewers daily avg. pot bonus for nec for most fighters is like $500. its a joke of an esport because black people are poor and whites can afford pcs to play mobas.
>>
>>320122592
Personally I don't think Tekken is too complicated exactly, it's just that in any given situation it'll throw 20+ options at you and only 3 of them aren't wrong.
>>
>>320122886
Melee is boring as fuck even when you know how the game works
>>
>>320123304
>Unlike SF, Tekken, Marvel
guys i think we found a down clown.
>>
>>320119876
>>320119806
Fighting games is Football. There is an international appeal to it and the people who do get into the sport fucking love it. They are willing to get into fights over it. The US doesn't care about it, but pretends to when its US vs the World(and inevitably loses.)

Smash is American Football. Loved by Americans, has mass appeal to them. Claimed by fans to be the most exciting sport. Fans insist to fighting game players that is truly is a fighting game and the superior one.
>>
>>320123304
It's a good thing you have something to backup all that conjecture other than your opinion or you'd be talking out of your ass. Oh wait.
>>
>>320123358
I don't care. That is not a refute of my argument
>>
>>320123341
>ultra didnt even break a million sales
It was the fifth or so revision of a single game. Of course a game's not going to get many sales long after its initial release.
>>
>>320121724

>You're a fraud if you don't master your favorite character
>>
>>320123443
what argument, you have only listed off "melee being fun to watch" i dont see how that is learning. you melee faggots actually believe the game you play is difficult. the only reason other players from other fighting games dont play melee is because the payouts for the tourneys are low and pathetic. just like its playerbase.
>>
>>320120540
>Go to random gathering
>Suck ass at the game
>Everyone and their mom's is trying to help me git gud
>Find out it actually isn't all that hard
>Even the forums is everyone telling each other how to git gud in a very friendly way

For you to have an opinion on the community, you'd actually have to step your fat ass outside and talk to people.
>>
>>320123603
Jesus christ every time someone mentions Melee you faggots throw an autistic tantrum or something. Just stop replying to him if he's so pathetic
>>
>>320122787
You only say that because in the case of SF4 you actually know the game well. Most fighting games are completely unwatchable to novices.

>>320123063
In Smash you have to mash out of grabs and certain status effects. Also SDI involves what's basically waggling your stick between two cardinal directions.
>>
>>320122916

yeah, I don;'t know why I specified SFIV, I meant to say all Street Fighters.

I haven't seen enough of Darkstalkers to make a judgement.
>>
File: 1449837519432.png (212 KB, 386x362) Image search: [Google]
1449837519432.png
212 KB, 386x362
>>320118616
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfc_8avD_U
>Do anything as Hugo
>Crowd goes nuts
I miss Ultra's release already.
>>
>>320122767
This t b h
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJfLKtGlfw
FGC people think shit like this is hype and hilarious, yet no regular person would watch a moments like this and think, "wow, such a cool community, i want to get into it" rather than "what a bunch of mongoloid jackasses".
Let alone a big money sponsor have their brand associated with a player or community that pulls this shit off.
>>
Fighting games actually require skill and finesse unlike CS and DOTA. Not even shitposting. I prefer first person shooters, but fighting games require way more practice and skill.
>>
>>320122886

>If you're a noob you can watch dota and tell what's going on.

No it really isn't. The huge numbers of viewers that League and Dota get comes from the HUGE playerbase each game has. Someone new to the game has no clue what the fuck is going on with those types of games.

This is the reason I don't really understand what they are thinking trying to get those sorts of games on TV.
>>
>>320122735
Getting "dizzied/stunned" is in nearly every fighter. In almost every one of those, you mash buttons/directions to get out.

Tekken, Soul Calibur, Killer Instinct, those are the only ones off the top of my head I can think of that don't. MK and Injustice maybe not, although IIRC MK has certain characters that put character in stun state.

Unless you're speaking of GG's slip mechanic, which is like a halfway stun, in which yeah those are different.
>>
>>320124081
>someone that has played dota before doesn't know what's going on in those matches
subtle
>>
>>320123308

You overestimate how many of those viewers don't play the games themselves.

And even if they don't, they are really watching for the player's personality.
>>
>>320123332
> unless the opponent has a complete brain fart you're going to eat a hugeass combo no matter what
MIght as well be the same for GG
>>
>>320122616
As someone who doesn't know dick about fighting games, can you explain to me why MK is generally not well respected. Is it less balanced or just not as complex as other fighters?
>>
>>320124028
>FGC people think shit like this is hype and hilarious
Funny, the people flocking around that were mostly /v/ while the FGC stopped caring prettyquickly. Especially because they actually know LTG, and actually know LTG is an attention whoring chump not worth their time.
Though you seem to have that link on demand for some reason.
>>
File: 1447742720593.png (53 KB, 219x301) Image search: [Google]
1447742720593.png
53 KB, 219x301
>>320122587
>dem backdashes
>>
>>320124269
Safe strings with 50/50 mixups
>>
File: 1313629974539.jpg (9 KB, 123x126) Image search: [Google]
1313629974539.jpg
9 KB, 123x126
You people are trying to tell me that if you sat down a person who has no clue about video games, and show him/her a pro LoL match and pro Street Fighter match, he/she would be able to decipher what is happening in the LoL match better?
>>
>>320115004
It's boring and requires no skill. Just smash your buttons
>>
File: 1429914222046.jpg (15 KB, 192x171) Image search: [Google]
1429914222046.jpg
15 KB, 192x171
>>320124028
>Who bitch this is?
Never gets old
>>
>>320123341
>Implying you need a good computer to play mobas
>>
>>320124269

Block button
>>
>>320124269
Cant speak for anyone else but MKs hitboxes always seem... off to me? Like the punches have no real impact on the opponent, hold button to block, every character has the exact same jump, There's probably more from someone who played the game longer than just a couple of hours of mk9
>>
>>320122210
>pot fucking destroying zato
Is this bizarro Earth?
>>
File: 2015-12-10_00007.jpg (204 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-10_00007.jpg
204 KB, 1920x1080
>>320124537
>>
>>320118846
>ive never played a moba at high levrl - the post
>>
File: 1449983415387.gif (1022 KB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
1449983415387.gif
1022 KB, 250x194
>>320115061
>>320120742
>>320118846

>What is StarCraft?
>>
>>320124593
I was talking to a friend about this and he said the same thing. Is there a particular reason that using a button to block instead of pressing back is a bad mechanic, or is it just because it fucks with the control scheme that most fighters follow?
>>
>>320124651
To be fair sako isn't a longtime GG player like FAB is. Sako is famous for his SF4 and Vampire Savior skills.
>>
>>320124651
It's a GG god vs a fighting game god.
>>
>>320123964
My fucking ears.
>>
>>320115004
who fucking cares about esports you goddamn cancerous autist?
>>
>>320120540
>elitism is bad meme

Pandering the lowest no effort faggots is exactly what destroys the majority of communities.
>>
>>320124530
No stupid. But if someone knows the basics of both games, they will enjoy LoL a lot more
>>
>>320124763

Dead as soon as a braindead replacement came in to play.
>>
>>320124768
Back + Block is a matter of context sensitivity, whether or not it's "easier" is debatable but there's simplification in the process and the rest of the buttons can be utilized for other things.
>>
>>320124860
I dont
>>
>>320124860
Wrong, watching pro play is what got me into fighting games.
LoL and MOBA's in general are boring as shit to me.
>>
>>320120540
Do you honestly think the moba or fps community is any better?
>>
>>320124860

Well that's not true in my case at least.

I really think it comes down to other factors posted already in this thread.
>>
>>320124768
There are reasons such as not being able to walk forward and block, not being able to stand block without walking backwards...it makes space control harder and rewards walking forward into the danger zone if you have the right read.
Many fighters also have left/right mixups.
>>
>>320124768

because it eliminates mixups from the equation

you don't need to block in the correct direction, you just hold down a button
>>
>>320124860
I know the basics of 2 games and I enjoy watching fighting games more. Fighting games is easier to digest since it takes 5 minutes for a match, you can see the health bars where the competitors are working to get that life bar down & it's like boxing/MMA where anyone can see who has won. LoL has too much shit going on and it takes a long time for a match to finish which instantly turns me off about it.
>>
>>320124763
All RTS is, is the most competitive, challenging, and skill based racing game.
>>
>>320125008

There aren't but at least in those genres its a team game so when you get shit on you can always have someone else to blame.
>>
I don't understand how people play, let alone watch mobas. Nothing happens for like the first fucking half hour of the game.
>>
>>320124768
Block button only works in certain games, mostly 3d.

Block button in a 2d fighter means no crossups (jumping over your opponent and hitting them on the other side or crossing over on the ground and doing that) and really boils the game down to easy high/low/through mixups.
It also means that you can advance easily while blocking and most people find it less intuitive and fluid than back to block.
>>
I'm positive that part of the reason fighting games isn't as popular is because most people are too stupid and stubborn to ever get over characters that rely on fireballs/projectiles as part of their gameplan. In other words,they can't get over "spam".

This is dumb when you consider most games give all the characters ways to deal with zoners.
>>
>>320125008
Moba community is baseball fans. Long and boring as shit to watch but easy enough to understand. Nobody actually cares about them but for some reason it attracts millions and everyone plays it at home.
Fighting games is basketball, exciting on first glance but ultimately boring once you realize that 90% of the match doesn't matter, you'll get irritated that the game has a break every 2 seconds and it's full of blacks
>>
>>320125523
What are first person shooters? American football?
>>
>>320124848
and elitist cunts actively destroy their own
>natural selection 2
banning noobs and having a 10 hour time lock on the only 3 active servers is not a way to keep your game alive, let alone keep people playing
they don't fucking learn if you don't let them fucking play
you don't know what true elitism is and no I wasn't one of those noobs that got banned either, so don't start projecting like a retard
>>
>>320125523

>ultimately boring once you realize that 90% of the match doesn't matter

what
>>
>>320115004
FGC never wanted to be part of that esport cancer.
>>
>>320125726
Football is obviously sports games. Every year it's going to be more exciting but in the end it's just another disappointment with a lot of marketing.
>>
>>320125769
Yeah no one does this everyone is extreamly helpful on both forums or if you go to a local. Sounds like your a bitter faggot that wanted everything handed to you.
>>
>>320122592
They probably just aren't used to play 3D fighting games.
>>
>>320126275
there you go projecting
and you are fucking wrong as shit, the NS2 community is one of the absolute worst
you are simply not allowed to play on the servers until you have at least 10 hours, if you don't see a problem with the few active servers having that issue then i feel bad for you.
I put about 50 hours in the game, it got boring fighting the same 24 people every fucking match because no new blood is allowed in.
>>
>>320120540
You sound like a cunt. No wonder you're feeling threatened by them.
>>
>>320126464
Continue proving him right m8
>>
>>320126464
you are literally proving him right
you and everyone else responding to him are just heavily projecting
>>
>>320125523
>ultimately boring once you realize that 90% of the match doesn't matter,
Hold the fuck up, explain this.
>>
>>320124269
>Heavy emphasis on 50/50s make the game revolve mostly around guessing
>Atrociously bad character balance on par with Brawl
>In MK9 Port priority determined who scored the hit when two players struck each other on the same frame.
>Loads of borderline or outright death combos

Mortal Kombat is a really fun game, don't get me wrong. It's just there's so much cancer that it quickly loses its fun factor the moment you start tryharding.
>>
>>320115004
Not as casual friendly as mobas.
>>
The game is pretty old and in my case I can't tell what the fuck is going on in those anime fighting games. I can tell just fine when a hit connects in games like MK, SF or the xbox one game that I can't remember the name of but as soon as it's anime fighting games the moves are so out of this world that it mostly looks like 2 sprites rubbing each other. And I know that GG Xrd has those 3D models but in the 2D plane it looks like any other anime fightig game.
>>
>>320122592
ask any random fighting game player, that doesn't play Tekken. If he's hesitant, drop "mashy" somewhere in the middle of the sentence.
90% of players will get this smug face and will say something like "yes, Tekken is very mashy", also juggles, even though there are sometimes whole matches full of pokes with occasional 2 seconds juggle.

Most 3D fightings aren't easy to understand on high level and based on basics, so most people don't see flashy moves and don't understand wtf is going on
>>
>>320129734
But Xrd is probably the cleanest game to watch. Everything is readable on screen, and it never gets messy.
>>
>>320130041
>Elphelt/Faust
don't lie anon.
>>
>>320130041
>Leo/Bedman
don't lie anon.
>>
>>320130215
Those are fine

>>320130510
Bedman is supposed to be a clusterfuck, and even then he never opens up the opponent with some space magic.
>>
>>320129876
>2 Seconds

Clearly you haven't been juggled by a Jun.
>>
File: 1449554070550.gif (36 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1449554070550.gif
36 KB, 720x720
>>320125237
>What is an economy based RTS?
>>
it takes skill unlike mobas
>>
File: 1439142994345.png (11 KB, 470x454) Image search: [Google]
1439142994345.png
11 KB, 470x454
There are fighting games on pc? I have skullgirls from a steamsale, but I only remember streetfighter being a snes title. I also think they require gamepads and not many have those for pc. I also don't see the benefit of a huge stick with the size of a desk on your lap outside trying hard to look like an arcadegamer
>>
>Guilty Gear
>esports
>>
>>320130657
>It's okay because it's meant to be a clusterfuck
Do you realise how retarded this sounds?
>>
>>320132535
No one cares since no pros play Bedman anyway
>>
>>320122690
Judging by the extreme difference in view count- yes, yes it is.
>>
>>320132641
Keep shifting those goalposts.
Look, I got no problems with GG but claiming it's clear to watch and never turns messy is just ludicrous.

It's especially hard to read if you don't know the game's systems, you're wondering why everyone is popping these particle effects every five seconds.
>>
>>320131750
I never liked fighting games really. I didnt understand any mechanics, didnt know what the overheads and crossups and all the stuff is, and everytime i tried to watch a pro match, i immediately got lost in the terms. When i tried to play any PC fighting game, like street fighter, i quickly got bored, because i played for the whole day, and learned nothing, all my moves still were as ugly, as in the first minute playing. Until i tried Guilty Gear. Guilty Gear XX is a fantastic game, truly fantastic mostly because you can do stylish and beautiful combos even in the very beginning. Mashing in this game look really good, and you can find a lot of easy, small combos just playing the game. Most of the special moves are easy to input, even with the keyboard, allowing me to play without frustration about the character not making the move i want him to make. Besides, the characters are diverse in playstiles, and visual appearance is colorful and nice.

I got into fighting games through Guilty Gear, and i still love it more than any other fighting game. If you are a newbie, give it a try.
>>
>>320133106
P.S. even though GG is easy to get into, it's hard to master, so it's not some kind of child's game.

P.S.S. Sorry for bad English, not my native.
>>
>>320119806
The only difference is it's full of black people
>>
>>320123412
Even before I played fighters and only played Smash I knew that Smash wasn't a real fighting game.
Smash is like, a casual fighter, if anything.
>>
>>320133219
See, most fighting games don't seem to understand how important this shit is. It is very much possible to lower the floor on you game without lowering the ceiling. As it stands now, most fighting games require hours and hours of practice and theorycrafting to get over the hump where you're better off button mashing. The skill curves of these games are awful, and the good players don't care don't care because they've gotten over the shitty part already.
>>
>>320133698
I'm gonna humor you. Explain what specific aspect of Smash makes it a "casual fighter"
>>
>>320133909
Skill ceiling is lower than most fighters. Combos don't exist to the same extent as others. Much lower skill floor as well.

That being said, it's still a much more difficult game to master than ASSFAGGOTS or modern day FPS, and I still enjoy watching high level play of it.
>>
File: piece_of_cake.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
piece_of_cake.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1080
>>320131750
>I also don't see the benefit of a huge stick with the size of a desk on your lap outside trying hard to look like an arcadegamer
Comfort, and the sticks aren't as cumbersome as they appear.
>>
>>320134110
>skill ceilling is lower
That's a vague statement

>Combos don't exist to the same extent as others
The very much do exist, they just aren't free because your opponent can influence the angle they fly at, requiring you to account for it. The only game where this wasn't true is Brawl.

>Much lower skill floor as well
This is objectively meaningless to how competitive a game is. The floor doesn't matter to pros.
>>
File: 1423532927501.jpg (260 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1423532927501.jpg
260 KB, 600x600
HOW TO MAKE MORTAL KOMBAT BETTER:

Remove magic combo shit.

There is nothing more jarring and off-putting to me about Mk than my attack changing based entirely on what button I hit before it, and how I don't have to time SHIT and rather just mash AAABDADADA before the first jab even lands to do the combo or it's dropped.

And buff Mileena
>>
>>320134927
>your opponent can influence the angle they fly at, requiring you to account for it.
That's exactly how anti-airs work in airdashers.
>>
>>320134927
>>Combos don't exist to the same extent as others
>The very much do exist, they just aren't free because your opponent can influence the angle they fly at, requiring you to account for it. The only game where this wasn't true is Brawl.
So what you're saying is they're not combos, they're resets.
>>
>>320120540
But it's literally the exact opposite senpai
>>
>>320115324
>what every person that sucks at other games says

If you were any good at games that arent shitty rehashed fighters. youd like them.
>>
Has a 1v1 sport ever been as popular as a team sport?

No. It hasn't. Why would video games be any different?

EVO is like the olympics of fighting games. It can garner a lot of attention, but only when you shove it all together.
>>
>>320133909
>Explain what specific aspect of Smash makes it a "casual fighter"

It's general game design and the fact that you have to ban 75% of the game's features to even make it competitive. The game was never meant to be a serious fighter. That much is obvious. That's why Nintendo doesn't really care about the competitive community. Where as companies like Capcom and Namco do.
>>
File: Ali_fraizer.jpg (161 KB, 641x534) Image search: [Google]
Ali_fraizer.jpg
161 KB, 641x534
>>320136590

>Has a 1v1 sport ever been as popular as a team sport
>No. It hasn't

u wot m8?
>>
People who play fighting games seem to make fun of E-SPORTS a lot because that sterilized NO FUN, BE PROFESSIONAL environment is completely backwards from the kind of environment people who play fighting games grew up with them in.
>>
>>320115004
>between Trove and Bordermemes 2
Wow.
>>
>>320136590
Tennis is one of the most popular sports in the world.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.