[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What mechanics/gameplay would you like to see from a lich game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10
File: 792171781271527017.jpg (724 KB, 2893x1200) Image search: [Google]
792171781271527017.jpg
724 KB, 2893x1200
What mechanics/gameplay would you like to see from a lich game?
>>
File: arthas.jpg (546 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
arthas.jpg
546 KB, 1920x1080
just make Overlord more mature and with better and improved mechanics.

Overlord games are fucking fine, by "mature" I just mean I'd like to see it with a more gruesome focus and less comedy.

Like if you were the Lich king from WoW.
>>
File: im such a huge faggot.jpg (128 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
im such a huge faggot.jpg
128 KB, 846x846
>>320107936
Just make an Overlord game.
>>
>>320107936
Make it an RTS? Perhaps in the style of Brutal Legend, where the Lich sort of just flies around doing his thing, providing support and telling his horde what to wreck.
>>
File: 1439942053630.jpg (128 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
1439942053630.jpg
128 KB, 846x846
>>320108805
Too complex for our current capabilities.
>>
>>320108692
Since when do lich (liches? lichi?) have anything to do with minions?
>>
>>320108869
I guess anything powerful will find wayss of having others do the lesser jobs. I'd soppuse a Necromancer would fit better here, but p sure a lich would make some kinf od minions to get things done.
>>
>>320108985
from limited D&D and MTG my understanding of liches is that theyre more sorcerers / warlocks as opposed to necromancers / conjurers.
I could be wrong though
>>
>>320108869
I mean, you threw away your mortal body to focus on magical research for all eternity after all, why do things yourself when you can conjure a servant to do stuff while you refine "World-ending-spell #41"
>>
>>320109136
I guess it's on the interpretation. Arthas (WoW Lich king) can create the plague, and turn people into undeads that serve him. In Dragon's Dogma the liches are as you say, powerful warlocks/Dark mages. They are usually accompanied by some skellies and they can raise skeletons, but usually focus on casting big shit.
Honestly, I'd be ok with both options a slong as I can play some dark skelly that wants to destroy the world or whatever.

Is there even a game about this? one where you're the bad guy in some fantasy setting, but no complex story or bullshit, just straigh: "YOU A BAD GUY. YOU A DARK LORD. GO BECOME THE NEMESIS" and you pretty much do the generic "How I became powerful" of any villian.
>>
I want to sit around all day in the catacombs reading books and cast really bad spells that inevitably make heroes come seeking me out to stop my blight.
>>
>>320109461
I would play the fuck out of this.
Especially if there was a deep magic system
>>
>>320109461
overlord as in the game KIND of does this, but it has some comedy elements as well
>>
>>320109660
My dream game has always been something like:

>Pick Skyrim
>Completly remove any trace of Main questline
>Focus specially on sidequesting and good gameplay mechanics. Mostly a good magic system and combat.
>You, the MC, are a fucking skelleton. You were a random skelleton from a lich that, for some reason has regained his consciouness, but he's still a skeleton.

Now here's the thing: You go around the world and people react how they'd usually react if they see a walking skeleton. You can try to be a good person, a skelleton hero, even a fucking skeleton paladin if you want, maybe you manage to gain people's trust and they accept you. Or you can just "hey, if you gonna take me down, I'm taking your whole town with me" and become a dark lord. A skeleton warrior, a lich, whatever you want dude, you're a god damn skelleton, there's no physical limit to you.
>>
>>320110000
Having your MC being a skeleton would create too much of a disconnect for your average player, since skeletons aren't real. It will never happen.
>>
Cold Comfort
>>
>>320109136
liches are usually necromancers m8
>>
>>320110546
there should be more games where you play as a neuromancer
>>
>>320110405
I know. Ironically, a skeleton is "too unnatural", hard to build as a character. How can you make a good character outa something that has no facial expressions, speaks in a deep dark voice and has no physical traits?

But that's what makes it good. Anyone able to build a character with all these limitations has to be an awesome writter.
Or being able to play as a skeleton means you can inmerse yourself in all kinds of stories without feeling disconnected.

That's why it's my dream game. I know it will never happen, but I'd love to.
>>
Basically, do what https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb2uub1wn0s did, but you play as a lich.

Personally, would even prefer if it was made in a way like DK or evil genius, than overlord. You should be able to build up your base and control your minions to do the dirty work for you, going into combat yourself only when your lair is threatened or during bigger sieges.
>>
>>320109461
It's weird. Do people really prefer a more action orientated combat to a more strategy based? Anything from pure strategy, to 4k and simulation to something akin to xcom.
>>
>>320112105
I'd love a mix of both, like Savage XR but better, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick action combat. To me, RTS style feels the same no matter the setting. I'm ok with an approach like X-com, fire emblem, FF tactics or alike.
>>
>>320112267
How about something like >>320111023 in the vdieo? Or something with a mix of Banished, DK and evil genius, where you have to build up your base.
>>
>>320112392
Thing is, I need to see or feel my own character. It can be another unit that's stronger and can be geared/upgraded in the way I want, but I want to feel that my character, my presence means something in the battlefield or wherever I am.

If there's no such character and I'm just managing a castle or whatever and sending units, then the feeling I get is not that I'm a good lich, but a good administrator, and there's several games that already fill me up with that.

Come again, that's my vision.
>>
File: spoop.gif (362 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
spoop.gif
362 KB, 475x347
>>320110405
>skeletons aren't real
u fokkin wot m8
>>
File: 1448467284228.gif (2 MB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1448467284228.gif
2 MB, 499x281
>tfw modded skyrim was the best necromancing game I've played so far
this is horrible and vidya should be ashamed of itself

I'd like to see what I did in skyrim, except actually good. What I had was the corpse preparation mod and undeath, so on the one hand I was a necromancer slowly learning a forbidden form of magic while having to keep my experiments hidden from the public, and on the other hand the quest to become a lich. Becoming stronger as a necromancer would involve finding ways to more efficiently reanimate more powerful servants, dealing with dark entities to gain knowledge and more power, finding the perfect situations to obtain more corpses without anyone noticing. Skyrim was perfect for this because there actually was a war going on and this time I was the necromancer profiting from it.

The downside of course was that outside of corpse preparation's npc mechanics the game never actually knows you're a necromancer. Worse, after undeath it'll never ever acknowledge you being a lich, so the whole thing felt hollow after a while.

So what I'd like to see is actually a lot of non-combat stuff. Spell-research, reanimation rituals, some weird diplomacy/barter system with otherworldly entities, treasure hunt-type quests to obtain artifacts and reagents for your lich ritual. All of this should then have an influence on your strength as a necromancer and your influence in the world.

Also minion customization. Dress up them skeltals, make em pretty.
>>
Since we're having a (un)dead thread, I might as well mention Necronator.

Fun little flash game. Terrible dialogue but gameplay is solid.
>>
>>320113338
the problem is that I doubt AAA studios would work on such a game. Only indies would. And making a skyrim, but for a lich wuld be slightly complicated. Well anything open world would be complicated. Something abit more linear where you follow a story could work better, but would that be fun? If you follow a predetermined storyline and events to become a lich?
>>
>>320113748
>skyrim, but for a lich
Oh hell no, that wasn't what I meant. I mentioned skyrim because its mods allowed me to make my necromancer and it just so happened to have a war going on. A more linear game would work too, as long as I get to do the above mentioned stuff.
>>
>>320113338
Are there mods that let you play as a proper, balanced (taking Skyrim balance into account) necromancer?
>>
File: justanotherdayindg.png (436 KB, 800x425) Image search: [Google]
justanotherdayindg.png
436 KB, 800x425
>>320107936
Other than the standard necromancy set, I'd add corruption of the envoiroment, body control of the living, possession of your minions for more complex tasks, illusion spells to hide your presence and aspect to the lesser living beings.
Basically the ability to enter a town, fuck with its people to destroy the order and cause chaos and death, use it to advance your dark agenda until everyone is your servant, either dead or alive.
Plus imagine being able to turn the paladins who come hunting your ass into death knight throught some good old Metzen CORRUPTION.
>>
File: armyofskeles.jpg (109 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
armyofskeles.jpg
109 KB, 1024x640
>few mastery types : flesh-mastery, bone-mastery and ghost-mastery
>flesh mastery = zombies , ghouls etc
>bone-mastery , traditional skeletons
>ghost-mastery, walking suit of armours, poltergeists etc
>using cementary as a *sudden backstab* in cities/villages
>slaughtering villages to get more skeles or forcing them to work for you and get some human-troops,which will also provide some resources
>open world map which is fully destroyable and lootable
>abillity to coop with *alive* kingdoms or even offering a protection
>spread dicease and plague to weaken enemy cities and attack from the inside
>order your undead workers to produce better weaponry, get resources like lumber, iron etc
>build a fortress and expand it as you want
>or convert conquered cities into your fortresses
>set up patrols and garrisons because native's and guerilla troops will fight back
>modify your undead look and experiment with the new *species* and crossovers , ie mixing horse and human to create centaur-skele, you can later add plate armour and some pike to them
>create a necromancy school to train your apprentices and improve your power to control larger armies, lets say if you go into the battle with the 2 apprentices and one of them dies. A part of your army will collapse.
>raise dead human generals to work for you as your generals and tacticians
>death knights
>bigger battles against several human factions and maybe other races
>the only limit to your army size is your magical power. Which you can raise by slaying enemy wizards and absorbing their souls or learning about ancient secrets.
>bigger units drain more power , smaller less
>you can build magic obelisks in the certain locations to increase your magic power ( which can be also attacked by enemy )
>>
>>320114025
Ah, now I get it. Then I know that feeling all too well. I just want to play a game where I start of as some random bloke with abit of magical powers in him, that slowly gains more and more knowledge into necromancy. Maybe give me the ability to kill and ressurect animals first, and let me control them to do something, like go into small and narrow spaces to open something. Maybe in crypts, or use them to trigger traps. Proceed through the game, eventually rising human beings, customizing your summons (don't want spore like personally. Just more of a let me select different presets and add a very small trait tree for the summons)get more power, attack villages for rituals or something like that. A hitman styled gameplay at first would be lovely aswell, where you have to kill or steal something. Maybe frame two neighbouring villages, forcing them to go to war to add more research material from the bodies.
>>
>>320114054
Elaborate what balanced means to you. Balanced for skyrim means 1-4 minions (two summons, one follower, one pet). With the mod setup I had going I had two conjurations, three permanent undead champions, and as many reanimated corpses as I had lying around me. Also followers and pets but I didn't bother with those. What you have is a crowded battlefield and no real need to participate yourself, which at times had the side-effect that I would doze off while playing and nearly walk off cliffs in a daze mid-battle while my minions did their thing.
>>
>>320114376
By balanced I mean if I won't be able to just stop everything on my way like there's no problem and have the same problems i'd have with another class (like going for endgame dragons at the start of the game and such)
>>
>>320114158
This sounds amazing.
>>
Ideas that a competant indie could try :

Gameplay like Mount & blade warbands. You can create your own army of undead, and fight o nthe battlefield yourself. Going into traits, that let you focus o neither spellcasting, summoning and reinforcing or melee combat. You would be able to use all of them to some degree, but specialize in only one. Do you prefer to be more of a caster? A diablo like ncromancer? Or maybe something similar to a death knight/lich king from wow?

Another idea is like >>320114317 said. Make it be like hitman. You start of near a settlement and you need to destroy it fully. Ofcourse you can jsut go in and start spreading your shit, but since you're a lowly acolyte at the start, you first need some preperation. Poisoning the well, the food supply. Corrupting or turning key people into puppets. Creating illusions for them. Spreading disease and replacing medicine with your special "medicine". After preparing the village, town or castle, you strike and attack. Later on, priests, paladins or some holymen would be able to spot you if you get too close. Basically feel your presence. Maybe animals could aswell, so you would need to be careful. Once you get to a more lategame, you could simply summon your forces and fight from the start.

a VTMB clone, but you playing as an acolyte. You start the game after you finished your ritual and become connected to a lich. Somehow it relies a objectives to you that you have to accomplish. Those would involve removing key figures that are tryign to destroy the lich. Or maybe weakening the areas defences so they don't resist the acolyte influence. Removing other liches that are less discrete and only cause panic and mayhem in the area, attracting more and more attention. Would have to involve alot of dialogues and talking. You would need to hide the fact of what you are. Breaking the rule, would send in templars that would hunt you. Breaking the rule too many times would make you a liability, thus gameover.
>>
>>320114494
Not sure about that. I'm the type of guy who puts all their points into magicka, so with all the skeltals at my command I could still be one-shot if anything broke through my minions. All the necromancy mods do nothing for your defense, and their offense relies on how much you empower your minions or how many bodies are available to you. In the end I did have three unstoppable champions due to picking level-scaling npcs to mummify and reanimate, which made them grow stronger from leveling with me, soak more damage from the bonus magical mummification gave them, and benefit from enchanted equipment. I myself was more or less a regular mage with a few mods for spells and spell-scaling.
>>
>>320108869
You have to be a necromancer to become a lich, no?
>>
Honestly, a game where you control your lich would feel weird. Don't liches usually sit back in their lair and send their minions to do shit?
>>
>>320116646
Sounds like an RTS m8. Or pikmin.
Though being the bossfight against a group of adventurers who accidentally stumbled into your lair might happen too.
>>
>>320115705
usually anyone who dabbles in arcane magic could perform the ritual
>>
>>320116646
How did the lich get the power, tho? or how can he become stronger? He has to to something from time to time.
>>
>>320118692
breaking into dusty old tombs looking for ancient tomes and corpses doesn't exactly require a lot of intelligence, they can just let minions do the work

liches are usually people who wanted immortality so they could keep being nerds for eternity and learn new magic shit
>>
>>320118346
>dabble
m8 no
lich rituals require intimate knowledge of necromantic shit and goes wrong half the time. The whole binding your soul to a phylactery and killing yourself under just the right conditions so you come back right and not as either some horribly stupid and suffering abomination or just plain dead with an eternally doomed soul isn't some shit you learn in any old book. Most books on this are destroyed or stupidly encoded as well, or only passed down orally from master to apprentice.

I mean this is setting-specific shit but as a general rule you have to work your ass off for this.
>>
>>320119416
dabble wasn't the right word, I meant any type of caster has the potential for lichdom
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.