[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never see much discussion for UT4. I downloaded it when it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 8KBk4Jb.jpg (777 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
8KBk4Jb.jpg
777 KB, 3840x2160
I never see much discussion for UT4. I downloaded it when it first came out a few months ago, but gradually stopped playing. I reinstalled last night and there's been a fair increase in content.

It's a lot of fun, especially for someone who missed the whole pc arena fps scene.

Has anyone else been playing recently?
>>
>>320080873
>I never see much discussion for UT4

It's hidden in Doom threads.

Also yes I'm been playing, it's good, I just wish they removed the teleport spam.
>>
Isn't it still in alpha? Kinda waiting for something more legitimate

I'm pretty nostalgic over arena shooters, don't understand why they stopped making them
>>
>>320081106
Do you play online? I tried initially and my ping was always really shitty, haven't tried again since reinstalling.

I also occasionally get crashes saying my drivers need updating, do you get those?
>>
>>320081419
According the load up screen, it's "pre-alpha", you get crashes from time to time but it isnt all that bad. Graphics are great and it runs really well on my modest pc.
Arena shooters just seem more fun to me, there's something exciting about going fast around a map and relying on map knowledge and quick thinking to do well.
>>
>>320081434
Yeah, it seems to hate GCN 1.2 cards especially for some reason, no word on AMD's end either, and all they've said is that they're "looking into it"

The crashes don't happen when you set everything to low, so it's probably a rendering thing that no one's been made aware of yet driver-side
>>
>>320081616
yeah, my gpu is amd so that might explain it.

Also I noticed they added a leveling system, does that have any point other than unlocking cosmetics? Also the addition of cosmetics full stop seems somewhat worrying, I hope they don't end up jewing us
>>
>>320082631
Probably to make it as similar to modern multiplayer shooters as possible reward/satisfaction-wise, UT3 released at the worst possible time MP shooter-wise, as COD4 wiped everything Q3A/UT2k4 did with a clean slate, and the rest followed

UT stresses itself on being community-funded, and the asset shop already has pay items, but it's too soon to see if it'll go the way of paid mods on Steam
>>
>>320081434
Yes I play online.
I have a GTX970 and a i74790K and have no problem with it.
The only time I have high ping/lag it's when I join a custom game with friends and the host connection isn't that good.
>>
>>320081419
>I'm pretty nostalgic over arena shooters, don't understand why they stopped making them
They don't play well on consoles, and nobody wants to make a PC exclusive FPS anymore ever since it somehow gained popularity on consoles despite being a terrible genre for gamepads.
The fact Epic took this weird approach is proof of how no publisher dares to properly fund actual development for a PC only FPS.

>>320081608
>Fully textured and modeled maps, weapons and character models
>Functional UI
>Working gameplay and netcode
>""Pre-alpha"""

Fuck this industry. Marketing teams completely killed the meaning of alpha and beta builds.
>>
>>320080873
been playing it pretty constantly. feel really good so far.
hopefully they keep it up and a good competitive community forms around it. I want muh ut99/2004 days back
>>
>>320082631
>does that have any point other than unlocking cosmetics?
You can't play on noob servers past level 10 or 15, can't remember.
There's something like that.
>>
>>320083081
>Probably to make it as similar to modern multiplayer shooters as possible reward/satisfaction-wise

I now find myself enjoying this. I've been ruined by modern games

>UT stresses itself on being community-funded
I will have to actually buy the game at some point though, right?
>>
>>320083191
>Fuck this industry. Marketing teams completely killed the meaning of alpha and beta builds.
Because as it is, it's still a SEVERE work in progress- nearly all of the finished stuff you're seeing has been contributed by the community, from entire maps to weapon concepts and models. Remember, working gameplay and netcode isn't just for this game- it's a work in progress for Unreal Engine 4 itself, the engine's still new and Epic are already trying to push it to its limits (like that all in-engine trailer and some of the maps, i.e. Outpost).
>>
>>320083421
>I will have to actually buy the game at some point though, right?
No.

UT4 is free and made to promote their new engine (UE4).
>>
>>320083421
>I will have to actually buy the game at some point though, right?
Nope. They've said from the start UT4 is going to be free- not 'free to play,' actually free. They're using it to promote Unreal Engine 4, like how UT3 spread the use of UE3 (and unfortunately the trend of everything looking like plastic and bald space marines in grey armor) and UT2004 did the same with UE2.5.
>>
File: 1345289547291.gif (1 MB, 312x176) Image search: [Google]
1345289547291.gif
1 MB, 312x176
I play it from time to time.
Unreal and UT played a big role on the person i am nowdays.

i'm from a really shitty country , with a really shitty culture.

by growing up playing UT online i pretty much learned a different culture and ignored the crap my country forces into everyone in here.

If it wasn't for UT i would have ended being some CS/Battlefield scumbag that couldn't even speak a word in english.

Thanks UT.
>>
>>320083580
Also, Epic main revenue comes from their engines, not their games.
They made the right commercial move by making UE4 free*

*Free as: You can use it to make you games for free, but if you decide to sell it, you give a % of your sales to Epic.

Which will open the door for Quality Indie game.
>>
File: 1433602371530.jpg (85 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1433602371530.jpg
85 KB, 900x675
>>320083741
Where are you from?
>>
File: Face.jpg (547 KB, 2160x1215) Image search: [Google]
Face.jpg
547 KB, 2160x1215
pretty
>>
>>320083878
I'm not sure how many indie developers I see bothering to learn UE4, it seems like it would be much more complex than whatever is used to pump out all those shitty steam indies. Although having said that maybe that's a good thing
>>
>>320083953
Take a guess.

>Niggers
>Counter-strike
>Battlefield
>Cheaters
>f2p games
>shit culture
>>
>>320084375
Hue?
>>
>>320084085
UT3 had tons of great mods that died because no one played UT3.
If they went standalone from the start, I'm pretty sure they'd be more popular.

Time will tell.
>>
>>320084541
Aye.

I'm so glad my brother gave me that Unreal 1 disc back in 1999...
>>
>>320084564
I hope it takes off, I missed out on arena shooters before. Any advice on getting gud?
>>
>>320084564
I didn't like that they took assault out, as warfare wasn't nearly as good, otherwise, for pure deathmatch, it was pretty great, I remember that shit blowing me away in 2007, along with the fact that my X1950 could handle it fine at 1920x1200, other UT3-based games that year and beyond weren't nearly as optimized sadly
>>
>>320085239
you play jailbreak mod? that feel when they show the enemy team getting executed in map specific methods
>>
>>320085105
gotta go fast
>>
>>320087083
that goes without saying.
For weapon switching do you use numbers? I guess you get used to it after a while but it seems quite hard to memorize at first
>>
>>320087491
>For weapon switching do you use numbers?
Not same anon but I use "switch to best weapon" button.
All weapon except biogun are good enough to kill.
>>
>>320087491
yea I reorder a bunch and bind some to my mouse side buttons. 1,2,3,4,q,e and mouse buttons.. I put them in order of importance to me.
other than that. turn the FOV higher..
learn the maps and routes around them to the powerups and powerup timings..
learn the strengths and weaknesses of each weapon and become comfortable with them all. in a duel maybe you'll be forced to use the goo-gun as your only weapon while the other asshole is jumping around like sonic with full Armour snatching everything up so fast you swear your in a 1v3 match.
some matches just focus on good movement and dodging.. baiting people to shoot the wrong way, or dodge themselves to where you want them to go. In other matches just focus on aiming. dont spray and pray
>>
>>320081106
Is there a setting to turn translocators off? I'm pretty sure you could do that on the other UTs.
>>
>>320088320
Yes you can, but they are enabled by default on official rooms(where most players are).
>>
>>320088235
Thanks, I'll work on that. It's refreshing to play a game that relies on very accurate aiming whilst also having good movement. You need be accurate to be good at CS, but you also need to stop moving, and in games like BF you need to move but accuracy is basically not a skill because of ADS. This seems to combine both (with much more complex movement)
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.