[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I upgrade my GPU? It's a 7970, got it back in 2012.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: speccy.png (59 KB, 760x537) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
59 KB, 760x537
Should I upgrade my GPU? It's a 7970, got it back in 2012. I can max mostly everything at 1080p, except for a few games like Witcher 3 that go down to about 24 FPS in most places.
Also hardware thread.
>>
Bump for advice.
>>
Wait until DirectX12 becomes the norm, which could be up to 2 years
The nvidia 1000 series is coming out next year as well
Now would be the worst time to upgrade
>>
>>320016994
>implying i want an njewdia card
>>
File: 2000677368.jpg (1 MB, 1728x2024) Image search: [Google]
2000677368.jpg
1 MB, 1728x2024
Can somebody please tell me what to look for when getting a cpu? I remember back in the day you could just check Ghz and maybe the brand name and you'd be set. Now there's multiple cores, performance per core, ghz, manufactures and so on.
I'm thinking about getting pic related, skylake series, but I haven't got a clue if it lives up to something like AMD fx 6300, or is even comparible.
>>
>>320018646
Certain games run better on fewer cores than more cores (though those games are usually poorly optimized and probably run like shit either way). If you REALLY know what you're doing, you can change the multiplier on your CPU so it uses more power if a game is running on fewer cores. A higher GHz and more cores usually means better performance.
>>
>>320015862
>he bought an AMD CPU
>>
>>320016994
now is always the worst time to upgrade

when will it ever be a good time to upgrade?
>>
>>320018646
I don't know if I should get a Skylake now, or wait a year for them to release more defenitive versions
>>
>>320016994

DX 12 games are already on the way

Hitman, FarCry and The Divison all come out in March and use DX12.

Barely even 100 days away from glorious DX12 gains friends.
>>
>>320015862
>>320020256
Ah woops, forgot to help. AMD jokes aside, wait a little while to buy new stuff for your computer.

I say that because there really isn't a massive difference between cards that are nearly 5 year old and newer cards (smaller than you might expect), same thing with CPUs.

However, we're awaiting a complete refresh of both AMD and Nvidia next year, with big architectural differences and actual DX12 support (Hi Nvidia) and it's also a "tock" for Intel, so hopefully we'll see some big gains then.

I've got a 7970 now and it's sufficiently powerful to run most everything close to maxed out 1080p 60fps.
>>
>>320015862
Oh, and if you buy powerful stuff then, switch to 1440p ofc.
1080p is easy enough to max out without a super expensive config, and I don't expect that to change.
>>
File: CWH4Bw0UsAAJUOj.png-large.png (39 KB, 533x321) Image search: [Google]
CWH4Bw0UsAAJUOj.png-large.png
39 KB, 533x321
>>320020256
>>320020256
Show me on the doll where the Jewish man took your money anon.

It's okay, we won't laugh at you.
>>
>>320020978

Yes, Nvidia will magically invent support for DirectX 12 after they get access to HBM2 in late 2017, have fun waiting good lil' goys.
>>
>>320021416
> not spending money is part of the jew plot

go to bed
>>
>>320021186
>using useless graphs like that to defend your purchase

In 90% of games an Intel CPU will perform better, especially if that game is CPU heavy like GTAV
>>
>>320020978
Is DX12 Windows 10 exclusive? Because I really want to stick with Windows 7.
Also I was looking at some R9 390s and they apparently support DX12.
>>
>>320021803
No real reason to stick with 7, just block anything you don't like about 10.
>>
>>320021186
Oh, don't get me wrong, the performance/cost ratio is great... Except in games.

The 2500k outperforms the FX 8350 in gaming scenarios, on top of being less energy hungry and easier to overclock.

If you're not gaming that's great, but you're kinda outing yourself by being on /v/
>>
>>320021803
DX12 is W10 exclusive, so you're gonna have to switch. The verdict is still not out on W10, so whaddya know, it might be good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, the 390 is DX12 compatible, but exactly what that means is kind of a mess. Google "DX12 compatibility" to have an idea of what it's about.
>>
>>320015862
7970?

Nah don't bother. Not yet anyways.
>>
>>320021186
I've got one and unfortunately in most of the games I actually play, it's a huge fucking bottleneck.

An i5 or an i7 would be far superior. Wish I had done that.

It's good price/performance but fuck, there's so many games where it really lets you down.

Even fucking Diablo 3.

Forget about ever breaking into the top tier in planetside 2 even with one. You'll never achieve close to 120fps stable with it.

Pretty much every game that relies more on single threading than multi-threading will get far far better performance with an intel.

I hate to say it but it's true. AMD just really isn't competitive in CPU's anymore. It's been a long time since they were.
>>
>>320021803
Yes, D3D12 is being used as a way to attempt to force users on to the new rolling release model for Windows.

Thankfully, D3D12 has a twin in the Vulkan API which is supposed to be released sometime in the next few weeks. Its very similar as they're both based off of Mantle with the primary difference being that Vulkan will be available on all open platforms which means Windows 7 will be supported as will Linux distributions like SteamOS and Android.
>>
>>320024485
Its just unfortunate that AMD decided to throw in the towel after Piledriver they have had IPC improvements in the more recent Bulldozer derived designs but they've only released them in dual module APU parts.

As a result Intel is basically unopposed until late next year when the initial Zen chips will hit the market.
>>
wait till next year

14nm cards will be the biggest jump in 5 years
>>
>>320024485
Don't be so down on your CPU, I've got a [email protected] and it's still a bottleneck in CPU intensive games.
And yeah, basically AMD took a risk that didn't pay off by going into so many cores, because developpers are lazy.
>>
>>320024848
Intel pulled a really dirty stunt about 8 years back, that ended with them loosing in a lawsuit for anti-competitive practices. They literally tried to strongarm AMD out of the business by making deals with retailers to only stock their CPU's, to sabatoge and hide AMD CPU's and to only put their CPU's in the premade builds. They literally had a clause in the agreement saying these retailers couldn't advertise or put AMD CPU's in their premades or the deal was off, and in return they'd sell them their CPU's in bulk for dirt cheap.

The losses this caused AMD set their R&D back years, and they still haven't recovered. They were on top at the time. They had the best performing CPU's on the market, even ahead of Intel, yet they lost out because of Intels dirty marketing and business. They fell behind and have been struggling since.

>>320025591
I'm very down. When I'm fighting the Cow Queen in Diablo 3 and my computers running at 15fps and literally playing like a slideshow and I look over at my friend playing in the same fight with me and see his computer silky smooth no problems, when my PC is outright better than his in every respect besides CPU, where he has a 4790k.

Yeah I'm down. I wish I had gotten that.
>>
>>320025591
>>320025947
would it change anything to limit the amount of cores the game runs on?
>>
>>320026489
No, that's not what it's about. By having more cores, AMD has an overall more powerful processor (I think), but each core is individually less powerful.

This means that when games are not engineered to play nice with a lot of cores, AMD's chips have a big disadvantage. (Also, DX11 was really shit with multicore, so hopefully DX12 should alleviate some issues.)
>>
>>320018646
>an somebody please tell me what to look for when getting a cpu?

CPU instruction set
performance per core
Jew prices
any technical problems, reminder skylake CPUs get bent from custom coolers because they cheaped out again
power requirements and power savings are placebo since we are in the age of environmentalist bullshit

Stick with a Haswell refresh CPU.
>>
>>320026879
>Stick with a Haswell refresh CPU.
>Stick with outdated DDR3 when DDR4 prices are equal to DDR3 now
Why is this entire site so full of retards like this?
>>
>>320027034
>Stick with outdated DDR3 when DDR4 prices are equal to DDR3 now
>DDR3
>outdated

Fast enough for gaming unless you're trying to play FO4 with its retarded RAM requirements because the devs couldn't write monkey code worth bananas.
>>
>>320027196
Why the fuck should anyone stick with DDR3 when DDR4 would last them for the next 8 years? Good luck actually trying to get DDR3 sticks a few years from now when they will become rarer and more expensive.
Just like it happened with DDR and DDR2.
>>
>>320027325
early adopters always get screwed.
>>
>>320027531
This isn't some kind of prototype or untested tech.
>>
Let's say you have X money for a gpu for next 3 years, after that you will upgrade again. Which one would be smarter?
1. Spend all of X on the best card you can buy.
2. Spend half of X on the best card that can buy, then after a year and a half sell that card and buy the best possible card again for that + remaining half of X
>>
>>320026879
>reminder skylake CPUs get bent from custom coolers

Any source on this? I'd like to get this confirmed. I was planning on getting a custom cooler anyway, but not for a couple of weeks after getting my CPU.
>>
>>320026879
> bent

really? the cooler connects primarily to the mobo though
>>
>>320027659
It's still better to wait. If you're satisfied with what you have right now, Skylake is not worth having. DDR4 is not worth having either. And I can still afford to wait another five years before assembling another build. And if you hardly play triple A shit you can easily stick with an overclocked sandy bridge for those 5 years. There's a lot more things coming in 5 years than DDR4 and HBM2.
>>
>>320028074
>Skylake is not worth having. DDR4 is not worth having either
That's only true if we assure that you already have capable hardware in the first place. For someone that actually needs an upgrade or is building a PC from scratch then both of them are very worth it.

I am still using a Q9550 and 8GB DDR2 cause I am broke and if I upgraded today I certainly wouldn't get DDR3 or Haswell shit.
>>
>>320027834
>>320027998

tl;dr don't ask somebody else to build it for you. General DIY assembly is fine because you're not ham handed when dealing with your computer, right? You don't suddenly POMF it in bed, right?

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-skylake-cpus-are-bending-under-the-pressure-of-some-coolers/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-cpus-damaged-by-coolers,30690.html

http://www.legitreviews.com/some-cpu-coolers-are-bending-intel-skylake-cpus_175933

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/intel-skylake-cpus-bent-and-broken-by-some-third-party-coolers/
>>
>>320027659
It makes an insignificant difference for gaming and it's going to be like that for several years to come.
>>
>>320028753
Except that tests already show that ram speeds affect modern games. Not to mention that you are investing in a DEAD platform with DDR3 and Haswell.
>>
>>320027765
An interesting question. Right now, if you're going for 1080p 60fps (i.e. midrange), choose 1.

If you're going for the high end, choose 2. Right now we're still waiting for single GPU solutions which handle 1440p well.
>>
>>320028870
I said insignificant, not non-existent.
>>
>>320027765
>1. Spend all of X on the best card you can buy.

Fuck reselling cards, I'm not a merchant, I just want to play games.
>>
OP here. Instead of upgrading, could I overclock my GPU? I don't have any extra cooling supplies, but it is winter, and my case has like 4 120mm fans in it.
>>
>>320031736
most GPUs are already overclocked, you won't get much of an increase but still can get something depends on the card
it might be better to overclock your CPU, but your motherboard isn't good for overclocking
>>
>>320031736
Yes indeed, you should OC your GPU and CPU as much as you can (if you have the base fan for the CPU don't expect anything, though).

I'm no expert on it, so you should try to look and ask around about how much you should OC, but it should get you a noticeable perf boost.
>>
>>320031736
Oh damn, I forget we have the same GPU. I don't know about the cooling setup, but mine is running at 1.15GHz core clock and 1.4GHz memory clock, which is 10-15% than base clock..
>>
>>320024485
Over the next couple of years the gap between the Sandy i5 and the 8350 will continue to shrink now that devs are forced to work with 8 core apus from amd on both consoles.
>>
>>320035008
of course in the meantime, Intel has put out 4 generations of faster chips.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.