[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real talk, why does it seem pic related is the most popular in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg (45 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg
45 KB, 256x255
Real talk, why does it seem pic related is the most popular in the series?

I ask out of genuine interest because I have not played a single final fantasy game (had a Genesis, was too poor to also have a SNES, and for the NES we only had the very first Zelda and a handful other games, and played PC through the 90s, have never owned a PlayStation of any generation). And it looks like it might be a good series to play.
>>
It's the first game in the series that was actually marketed properly and it was launch title for a new console.

FF on Nintendo was considered niche as fuck
>>
FF7 was a breakthrough in the genre when everything before it was 2D and it was practically a perfect transition from it. It had a fuckton of content and lots of secret stuff you'd miss out if you didn't scour its world.

It was 3D FF done right.
>>
Took all that was good about FF and made it 3D. Of course some people will still prefer previous games in the series but I don't think it's unreasonable to say VII was the peak. It came just at the right time, all the elements were strong and hasn't really been matched since.
>>
>>320010449
Thanks m8. That's a sensible answer. I wasn't sure it was considered to be the first 3D final fantasy title.

>>320010597
>>320010664
Why wasn't FF8 as successful?

Which FF game do you guys think has the coolest/most epic story?
>>
it revolutionized jrpg with its 3d graphics/cd quality audio and daring story where one of the main characters die. It was a pioneer in alot of ways
>>
>>320010192
First 3d big marketed FF
It's pretty much babbies first FF, it's not nearly as good as people mak it out to be
>>
>>320010798
They threw materia out the window. They also added a stupid gimmicky card game. The characters seemed either derivative or annoying.

I played Final Fantasy on the NES when I was young in the 80s. I played one of them on the SNES. But VII just broke the mold. I played VIII, but stopped not long after. FFVII I played long after I beat it, trying different materia combinations, the grind didn't bother me as much, the music was killer.
>>
>>320010798
By the time FF8 happened, 3D rpgs were the norm. All it had going for it was its name. Everything about it is mediocre, not to mention the retarded story.

>Which FF game do you guys think has the coolest/most epic story?
13 up to Lightning Returns if you're talking about length.

FF Tactics had the coolest story.
>>
>real talk

Kill yourself you faggot nigger
>>
>>320011504
>stupid gimmicky card game

That card game is still the best minigame in vidya until Witcher 3's Gwent happened.
>>
File: alg-greg-jpg.jpg (76 KB, 970x734) Image search: [Google]
alg-greg-jpg.jpg
76 KB, 970x734
>>320011612
>>>/pol?
>>
>>320010798

Taste is relative, naturally, but FF6 deserves special mention for having a villain who unquestionably, undeniably wins.
>>
File: 1233112226284.jpg (59 KB, 357x402) Image search: [Google]
1233112226284.jpg
59 KB, 357x402
>>320011685
That's just like, your opinion, man...
>>
Dropped the game when I was 6 when I saw Jenovas headless body in the tank, I was spooked big time.

Finally getting around to playing it because the remake hype had me curious about what I missed

This game is definitely the creepiest final Fantasy, it's like they were testing the waters for a drakengard game.
>>
>>320010192
>one of the first 3d with pre rendered backgrounds rpgĀ“s (most before it was 2d snes style)
>one of the first big psx games
>the most expensive game of its time
>shitloads of marketing
>made jrpg big in the west
>was not a bad game
>>
>>320010192
Square honestly did not believe there was a market for JRPGs in the West until FFVII blew everything else out of the water on PS1. You have to remember this was 1997, 2D was just singing its swan song
>>
>>320010798
FF IV will always be my personal favorite of the series I pretty much like all the characters and feel like Cecil had the most growth of all the FF protagonists
>>
FFVII is a simple but good game. Charming characters, intriguing world, cinematics, intense moments; could perhaps name more. The game was not overdone and fun to talk about. Plus, everything in Midgar was so good by the time you left you felt as though you had a whole world to explore with your newly leart skills and by the time you had to go back, there was purpose and it did not disappoint.

>>320010798

FFVIII was successful though, regardless of what peoples opinions are of the game.

>card game that is still popular today
>Diabolos still being used today
>Squall one of the most used FF protagonists
>always the talk of FF discussions after VII just because of all the hate it brings
>GOAT OST
>>
>>320010449
Ff 7 came out in 1997, the ps1 came out in 1995. Ff7 wasnt a launch title
>>
>>320010798
Of the ones I've played VI.

Sabin splits up from Terra and Edgar only to end up scouring the land, meeting a ninja, a samurai, ghosts and suplexing a train.

All that shit happened just because a raft split and separated Sabin from the rest of the group its that kind of stuff that makes VI's story so good since everybody has a major part to play.
>>
>that feel when you thought midgar was the entire world
>that feel when you enter the world map and realize midgar was just a city
>main theme
That feeling, thats why.
No game had me feel like this
>>
FF9 was better. I liked the characters more. Like the nigga Blank.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.