[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OG StarCraft Soundtrack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: stacraft_game_music_vol1_front.jpg (47 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
stacraft_game_music_vol1_front.jpg
47 KB, 500x489
Does anybody have information on the original StarCraft soundtrack? It's my favourite vidya soundtrack and I can't actually find that much about it. So if any anons have facts or tidbits about it let me know.

Also I guess StarCraft memories thread.
>>
7 VS 1 COMP STOMP
>>
>>319987757
God, SC1 was so much better than 2 in all "non-essential" aspects - music, art, lore.
>>
PLEASURE KERRIGAN
>>
>>319987757
What would you like to know? To my knowledge, it was written by Blizzard's standard sound team at the time. Glenn Stafford, veteran Warcraft composer was on it. I believe it was the debut of Jason Hayes working at Blizzard, and he'd go on to be the cinematic composer for Warcraft III, and then lead Composer for WoW's launch soundtrack (he'd leave the company soon after, and was replaced with Russell Brower, who's been in charge since).

Fun fact, Hayes would later return to Blizzard around 2012, and his music can be heard in recent material for WoW and Legacy of the Void. So it's kind of full circle for him.
>>
>>319989278
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/music/sc.html

Blizzard's store lists Derek Duke, Glenn Stafford, Neal Acree & Russell Brower as on the project, but that's weird and wrong on the last two unless they were involved with some remastering process. Acree didn't join Blizzard until around 2007 when he scored the cinematic for TBC. He was working as an assistant and additional composer for Joel Goldsmith on the TV series Stargate before that, and Brower couldn't have been with the company any sooner than 2004, I'd be more comfortable to say 2005.
>>
>>319989278
Honestly I'd love to know the recording process. What they used, how they did it, software, hardware, any real instruments etc. but there isn't much info online.
>>
>>319989751
Yeah, I'm not too well versed on that. I know the original soundtrack is mostly synth stuff with I believe some individual solo instruments (I think the electric guitar is live, at least partially).

Probably not what you want, but Starcraft II and its expansions were mostly scored with a live orchestra, particularly the in-house one at Skywalker ranch. That one's mostly used to score a lot of the secondary Star Wars material, like games and TV shows, so I guess it's kind of fitting that Starcraft used that.
>>
http://vgmdb.net/album/4648

This and the discussion board about it should cover some info. Main composers were Glenn Stafford, who did the Terran tracks, Derek Duke provided the Zerg stuff, and Jason Hayes wrote the music for the Protoss. Matt Uelman, who people might known for his stuff on Diablo, didn't write music, but did a little bit of sound design stuff.
>>
>>319989751
Korg synthesizers were really popular back in the late 90's early 2000's. Too bad most people don't find korg synth instruments pleasing.
>>
>>319990887
Damn, I love all the Terran tracks
>>
>>319991181
To my knowledge, Stafford still works at Blizzard, he was there as early as Warcraft II, if not Warcraft I, and actual writing credits as late as Reaper of Souls. He's credited on Legacy of the Void, but I'm pretty sure that's just them arranging some of his Starcraft I stuff.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.