[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to make a 2D action game with lots of animations.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12
File: leona_idle_tween.gif (97 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
leona_idle_tween.gif
97 KB, 400x480
I'm looking to make a 2D action game with lots of animations.

I came here to ask if there's any examples of 2D animations made with tweening that looks as good as proper traditional animation.

I was wondering if I should use software like Sprine/Spriter or should I say fuck this and use proper 2D animation.

So, I made a quick test mixing both traditional and tweening techniques.

Pls rate.

I think it already looks better than traditional shit made using such software.
>>
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
People are gonna say it looks like shit, but I'll tell you this.

it's ok i'm not asking for professional work

Animate individual body parts as separate objects.
>>
It looks like shit.

Not because of the animation but because you can't draw.
>>
File: girls.png (411 KB, 896x1088) Image search: [Google]
girls.png
411 KB, 896x1088
>>319944106
I'm sure I can make it better.

I mean, I could use a realistic 3D model and make a basic 3D animation as reference then use it as base.

There's lots of shit that can be done.

>>319944231
I know.
but I have done better drawings.
>>
>>319944369
everyone can get better

even hitler could get better

and he was an ok artist
>>
File: kill_la_kill.png (203 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
kill_la_kill.png
203 KB, 576x768
>>319944638
I guess so.

I could try a more realistic style if you want.

But making one finished drawing is one thing, animating it is completelly diferent and more dificult beast.

I dunno, I just though why not mixing tweening and traditional?
>>
>>319945034
try to make it eastern but not anime

and western but not tumblr

skullgirls is a good place to look
>>
>>319945264
Listen to this guy. Skullgirls is heavy stilized, tho, and a teacher of mine used to say "The more stilized a character is, the more anatomy knowledge the artist has".

You'd think it's the other way around, but it isn't. The best way to make something unrealistic is to know how realistic it can be or should be.

Learn the basic and devolop your way from there. Look, study and mimic different styles but don't try to be them.
>>
File: drawing.png (419 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
drawing.png
419 KB, 800x800
>>319945264
I guess that depends more on doing a good concept art and character blueprints because most of the gruesome work is just following those.

how bout this girl?

was planning on making her into a 3D model.
>>
File: leona5131.gif (11 KB, 80x114) Image search: [Google]
leona5131.gif
11 KB, 80x114
>>319943720
You drew this? The hair looks fine and the legs do, but everything else just looks off. Her arms are too static and her hands look like shit.

Look at the sprite again and compare.
>>
>>319945264
Skullgirls is generic sameface animu shit. What are you talking about?
>>
>>319945616
yeah, I do agree with this.
Sadly, I haven't been a good student and grind my anatomy books and life lessons.

I guess I could use 3D as some kind of crutch, similar to those perspective rules.

But It's pretty weird I haven't seen a hybrid between full traditional and limited tween animation.

I'm sure a better artist would make it look better.

>>319945998
yeah.

I guess so.
It took me like one hour to make.
>>
>>319945616
>>319945676
i'm a writer

all i understand are aesthetics

drawing is weird to me

i draw stick figures at best
>>
File: heyo.gif (593 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
heyo.gif
593 KB, 400x400
>>319943720
Well if you want to make tweening look as good as 2d animation. Youre going to need like a fuckload of parts from multiple angles.

But if you're pretty good at this sort of thing, or if youre doing it from like one angle, you could cut some corners.

I guess Motorcity is a good example of puppeting if you want to look into how they got that to work
>>
>>319943720
Your character has joints. Make them move, it'll look less realistic but, it makes them look more fluid and animated. more engaging. Look at how Ryu/Ken boucne in 3rd strike. look at KOF's walk cycles. They are all moving their key joints and limbs a lot more than you have so far. You're doing a greta job but I suggest you study animation walk cycles etc. There are a lot of free learning guides and tips online for it.

Don;t give up OP
>>
File: 1427652008-27-oboro-muramasa-15.jpg (112 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
1427652008-27-oboro-muramasa-15.jpg
112 KB, 960x544
You should look into Vanillaware games, the large bosses in Muramasa in particular. Their animations actually don't have that many unique hand-drawn frames, but thanks to tweening and distortions they are very lively. I can't really go into specifics since I haven't extracted graphic files, but many of the body parts seem to be layered and are animated individually.
>>
>>319946214
Anyway don't get discouraged. People are going to call your first animations and drawings shit. Only thing you can do is practice and take the criticism you get.
>>
>>319946237
I guess I'll have to take into account joints and draw them traditionally.

>>319946228
Well, my goal is to develop a workflow that is cheap to make but gets very close to traditional.

I guess the secret is to make a library of diferent little details and even traditionally animate the key ones (hair, fingers, hand, cloth folds, skirts, knees).

>>319946297
do you have gifs/webms?

>>319946517
I know, I'm fine I guess.
I've seen worse stuff than mine become popular on the internet.
>>
>>319946754
Is there a specific style youre going for,or a set angle? I mean, there's a shitload of workarounds for that sort of thing.
>>
File: riskofrain.jpg (49 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
riskofrain.jpg
49 KB, 500x368
>>319946754
an old-style beat-em-up is "easier" to animate than something like skullgirls,

and online co-op is always something to keep in mind.

would be a nice $5-$10 game.
>>
>>319946754
Not immediately on hand, but have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRSTvbWsZR0
It also shows pre-battle banter with some smaller characters. Thanks to zoom-in you can tell that there's actually not that many frames even in their animations.
Though Momohime's walk is obviously all hand-animated. Many of the minor enemies in game hop around, or move in dashes to save the frames.
>>
>>319945264
>>319945616
i didn't mean skullgirls wasn't anime,

it wasn't expressed right

it's just the most different looking western game i could think of without trying to be "artistic."
>>
>>319947138
my goal is to have something that looks good.

Most of the shit I see people using tweenings look like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qp0vJmyfio

but this looks like cheap mobile garbage.

as long as it looks closer to traditional animation and not like a cheap nickelodeon TV show, I'm fine.

>>319947252
that's why I want to see where I can go with this idea.

my dream game is my own original fighter.

>>319947359
dunno why, but even this have that feeling of cheap animation.
>>
File: YxwytAD.gif (296 KB, 421x267) Image search: [Google]
YxwytAD.gif
296 KB, 421x267
skullgirls
>>
>>319948185
>>
>>319947480
I think even in that Spellbound Studios video the technology is there. You just need proper knowing of movements to make animations that have OOMPH in them. And adjusting something like that takes time, it's always easier to get good-enough than something with proper weight.
>>
>>319948294
>Person asks for tweening
>Post exact opposite of tweening
That does look really sweet though.
>>
>>319948185
>>319948294
traditional looks so good.
even better than 3D.

but m8, they took 2k hours of work per character.
>>
>>319948185
If im not mistaken, isnt skullgirls traditionally animated? he's looking for puppet animation

>>319947480
Well you can only go so far with tweening shit. Even for some of the better puppet animated stuff has a tween look to it on some parts. But if you want tweening to look like 2d traditional, youre gonna need a fuckload of parts

>>319948564
not to mention some of them were animated in photoshop. cant imagine thats fun
>>
>>319948656
yeah, but my current goal is to make something that doesn't look cheap.

I'll try tomorrow a new kof animation.

3D animation is basically the same as tweening and look how good GGXRD looks.
>>
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but look up The Rumble Fish. I think it was animated with what you're talking about.
>>
>>319943720
Honestly man, for character animation traditional is always going to look better than tweening. Right now the movement feels rather disjointed and clunky, which can mostly be attributed to you simply moving the body parts instead of redrawing each frame separately. I understand, it's a lot of work, but if you want it to look as good as it can you have to go the extra mile. It looks functional right now, but not too professional.
>>
>>319949440
I guess I could try to use blender then.
>>
File: tumblr_nl1lk7Lb9A1qis82bo1_500.gif (1 MB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nl1lk7Lb9A1qis82bo1_500.gif
1 MB, 500x345
>>319948514
>>319948656
they are tweened actually, alex and l0's core group of artists make the key frames and contractors do the tween ones and clean up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbetweening#Traditional_animation
>>
>>319949951
inbetweenings != tweening
>>
>>319949387
well with 3d animation, the model is all there, you only have to tell it how to move, and how you want it to distort, with puppet animation, it only looks as good as your rig is and the tools availible. If you want your tween animation to look as good as traditional, youre gonna have to make some pretty High quality puppets or learn how to cut corners the best way as possible.

You want to take into account how joints move, how things look from different angles and of course a way to put it together and have it move nicely together. You can also have traditionally animated parts to help sell it if you'd like, like the hair and the fingers at least, and maybe small details.

But still i believe in you OP. Make that fighting game you always wanted

>>319950114
Robo Fortune looks like a mix of traditional and tweened to me. like when she fires the canons.
>>
>>319950578
I mean, everyone just try to cheapen animation until it looks like cheap garbage.

but it's even possible to use blender to make 2D animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htFYQcvHXUs

Why noone thinks of how to creavitelly use your limitations?
>>
Study Darkstalkers animations. They offer very clear, very exaggerated versions of traditional animation principles.
>>
Quality tween animation takes just as much effort if not more effort than traditional due to all the trickery you have to perform to get it to work right
But it IS possible
>>
>>319951084
It's a diferent type of effort anon.

It's like a marathon using a bike vs running.
>>
>>319951281
time spent is time spent
>>
>>319951469
Especially since OP is talking about workflow
>>
>>319951469
>>319951585
yeah, but traditional will take much longer.

all trickery takes time to figure out but once you have a proper workflow take just some minutes, because drawing the art is what it takes time.
>>
>>319951797
>because drawing the art is what it takes time
no anon its making the motion that takes time
making quality motion takes more effort than making shitty motion, regardless of the style of animation
>>
>>319952337
if you're a good animator, it wont take too much.

10 frames stance = 10 hours if drawn by hand (1 hour x frame).

1 frame puppet character will take one hour + hand drawn details will take at best another hour and fine tunning the animation will take less than one hour.

This animation took me like 15 minutes to make including modeling the character.
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nvtz8ryPVS1uirtii_480.mp4#_=_
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.