[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been playing Star Ocean on SNES. it's so cool,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: star ocean.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
star ocean.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
I've been playing Star Ocean on SNES.
it's so cool, why didn't you tell me about this before? the start was boring, but so are all JRPG beginnings
>>
>>319919994
It's better on PSP
>>
>>319919994
I remember waiting years for the translation to come out. I should finish it one day
>>
>the start was boring

That's enough to not care about a game. If it's not pulling me in within the first 10 minutes of gameplay, it's trash.
>>
>>319920129

You will never finish this.
You will never play this again in a failed attempt to finish it.
>>
>>319920190
It's not their fault. They really think their generic cliche story is interesting and people will want to know what happens

spoiler alert for literally every single game:
the good guys win in the end and everything goes back to normal
>>
>>319920190
How is it living with autism?
>>
>>319920336

Not sure, you tell me.
>>
KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN KUUHAZAN
>>
>>319920447
>if a game slows down, even for 10 minutes, I completely lose interest and drop it

Sounds like autism to me.
>>
File: 1449126873289.jpg (66 KB, 854x645) Image search: [Google]
1449126873289.jpg
66 KB, 854x645
>>319919994
>snes
>not playing 2nd story, the best game in the series.
>>
>>319920569

Slows down implies it had speed to begin with.

If it's not up to speed and started in 10 minutes, it's trash.

Regardless of genre.
>>
>>319919994
PSP version is better, more content, better balanced and less technical issues.
>>
>games that are good that i emulated in 2001 or so while listening to system of a down and alien ant farm
Tales of Phantasia (she fucks like a tiger)
Star Ocean (those craftables)
Seiken Densetsu III (who DIDN'T use Hawk, Sword Man and Kevin?)
Some Final Fantasy where you can switch jobs

>games that weren't good but were in fact not good
Earthbound
>>
>>319920108
>>319920861
Yeah, but PSP is one of those really weird systems like a Neo Geo. I'm not going to buy one for one game, especially if it's just an enhanced port.
>>
>>319920686
Still autism. The need for constant and unceasing engagement is a clear sign of autism senpai. Most rpgs have a slow start because they need to introduce you to the world. It's fine if you don't like the genre, but expecting immediate engagement in a setting all about exposition is just foolish.
>>
>>319921043

Okay.
>>
>>319921043
Starting off with a hook is a pretty basic storytelling technique.
>>
>>319920569
That's not autism, that's ADD. Although I have ADHD but don't get bored of games anywhere near that fast.
>>
>>319920686
Really? I really liked the beginning. When it hit the spaceship is when it got boring for me

>>319920306
You don't know me. I'll finish it to spite you
>>
>>319921275

>I have ADHD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVMzqHVqP94
>>
>>319921193
This. But Japs don't work with actual interesting ideas and hooks, especially with older games. They like familiarity, and for some reason, slow ass starts for their RPGs is one of their beloved tropes.

Just mash a button while watching something in another window until the game really starts.
Though when I was 15 or so I rented a Star Ocean on PS2 and when the beginning absolutely fucking sucked for 5 minutes I got so mad I quit and didn't return it, just stewed in my misery for picking an awful game.
>>
>>319921431
Gandhi also rapes 12 year old girls. It's one thing if they consent, but he actually prefers to rape them. He's not a good measure on anything.
>>
>>319921431
GOAT show. This and Leonard Cohen and Broken Social Scene are the only good things to come out of Canada.
>>
>why didn't you tell me about this before?
because you'd eventually play Star Ocean 4
no one should suffer through that
>>
>>319919994
The first hour of gameplay is literally an episode of classic Star Trek mixed with Star Trek 6: Undiscovered Country with anime characters so I loved it

PSP version is better though since it plays like SO2
>>
>>319921426

You will not start or even finish it.

Guaranteed. Continue playing whatever assfaggots or casual shooter you play everyday for a few hours or whatever game you play every day for a handful of hours instead of playing other things because you can't break away from whatever it is.

That's all that will happen.
>>
>>319920686
People like you are the reason why so many games start with you at max power only to lose it 15 minutes away. Is it too hard for you to appreciate a slow build up?
>>
>>319920978
PPSSPP you massive fucking retard.
>>
>>319920978
no the psp is like the snes. east to emulate.
>>
>>319921816
See, you don't know me. I'm a wage slave so I don't play anything because I have no time
>>
File: 2015-11-16_20-26-08.png (170 KB, 764x670) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-16_20-26-08.png
170 KB, 764x670
>>319919994
It's a pretty impressive game for its time, as was Tales of Phantasia but the combat system takes a lot of time to get used to. The remake on the PSP is way more accessible because it uses SO2's engine.

Also I love how Ilia's portrait is pretty much Sayla from Mobile Suit Gundam. The devs probably took inspiration from all kinds of space fantasy shows.
>>
>>319921851

Keeping someone interested doesn't mean you have to one hit everything.

I hate being OP in games.

If it's a slow buildup, it better not be wasting my time in the process.

I better be doing something useful or engaging.
I better not be reading incredibly dull dialogue and doing literally nothing while I read said incredibly dull dialogue.

I don't need to know the protagonists life story immediately.

Pacing is key.

Brevity is the soul of wit.
>>
>>319921896
>>319921953
PSP emulators didn't work years ago. Why would they work now?
>>
>>319923148

You can't be this stupid
>>
>>319923148
Because they literally got access to the exact specifications of the hardware and internal workings that normally emulators don't comprehensively get. Go download PPSSPP, not everything is perfect but with a decent computer you can emulate all sorts of PSP games with it. And emulate them well at that.
>>
>>319923254
I think he is
>>
>>319922409
>Brevity is the soul of wit.
my dick is the soul of wit
>>
>>319920884
>not using qt cleric girl and turning her into a bishop for infinite healing
>>
>>319920861
Why did the PSP get all the good enhancements? Like the two Disgaea remakes with extras. They should have waited for the Vita.
>>
>>319919994
i've tried to play it so many times but there's always some bug where the game freezes up only like an hour in. i've tried so many times on different machines, emulators and it's always the same story.
>>
>>319921953
>east to emulate
you're a diamond dozen my nagger
>>
>>319925205
Fuck, now I remember. This is why I could never finish the game. It even happened if I used savestates
>>
>>319925641
i tried zsnes, snes9x and one other one. i've tried different ROMs, i've been trying to play this game since windows xp was the standard OS and tried on vista and 7. i never could figure out what the fuck the problem was.
>>
>>319920574
>The voice acting
>The difficulty
>The hype

Truly the GOAT action rpg
>>
>>319920574
That's true but with so much to do the payoff fucking SUCKS. Crafting weapons, armor, food, instruments. Side quests. Multiple characters that will only join if others didn't. So many unique moves to learn. Awesome spells. And for what? Still ingame images and text for an ending? Sure, multiple endings, but barely different from one another. The ending sucks and it makes all the hard work look like a suckers game.
>>
>>319927512
>He lets mediocre endings ruin games for himself
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.