[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>599 US DOLLARS Looks more like a grill than a video game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 3424323.jpg (26 KB, 580x350) Image search: [Google]
3424323.jpg
26 KB, 580x350
>599 US DOLLARS

Looks more like a grill than a video game system, holy fuck, what was Sony thinking?
>>
>>319897739
I liked how futuristic it looked at the time
>>
>>319897739
Bought it at launch, still use it to this day hardware ps2 backwards compatibility is amazing, I think I got my moneys worth.
>>
>>319898705
no YLOD yet?
>>
>>319898981
I regularly take it apart to dust it so that probably helped, or I am lucky.
>>
I remember we got like half our PS3s returned within a month because people bought them at launch to try and resell them and failed.
>>
>>319898981
I had the launch one and mine just recently gave me the YLOD. But I've also used the shit out of it so I got my money's worth. And I'm sending it in to get it replaced with another backwards compatible one for like 80 bucks, which I think is worth it. Obviously I'd rather not pay but after 9 years of use I understand
>>
>>319899110
wow, those people must suck then.

ps3s were easy as fuck to flip during the first couple of months from launch because of the system shortage.

it wasnt the same compared to reselling Wii's at launch but it wasnt hard to do.
>>
>>319897739
>Looks more like a grill than a video game system, holy fuck, what was Sony thinking?
They were thinking about thermal engineering, which is something that Microsoft should have thought about too even though they had less TDP to worry about. Unfortunately for Sony the Cell ended up being bigger, hotter, and had lower performance in stream areas then they'd originally hoped as well as taking longer and being more expensive, so it had to be coupled with a GPU in a hurry rather then being able to do everything itself. Ultimately that meant the PS3 had a lot to cool. They could have gone for external looks more, but they made the right choice on the hardware engineering side by going with something larger and shaped and using a single, big fan at lower RPM (quieter). The PS3 fat had some reliability problems (YLOD) but it was within the normal range for first gen electronics that pushes the envelope a bit. The 360 was just mind blowingly bad in comparison which was really too bad.

Later on as die shrinks and improvements (and unfortunately feature elimination in the case of PS2-bc) let them shrink/eliminate silicon and TDP and get better designs out. But given the overall tradeoffs I think the PS3 fat did the job as well as it could given the original sin of the Cell.

And Sony learned some very, very harsh lessons there which we see reflected in the PS4.
>>
LEAN MEAN FPS KILLING MACHINE
>>
>>319899385
Eh, heavily geographically dependent. The distribution originally didn't always do a great job of reflecting purchases so there were some significant imbalances, some places had huge demand and shortages while 150 miles away there'd be stuff sitting on the shelves.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.