[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or is this game insanely more hard then the others
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: Suikoden_3.jpg (58 KB, 351x500) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden_3.jpg
58 KB, 351x500
Is it just me or is this game insanely more hard then the others in the series, also Suikoden thread
>>
>>319891081

Probably the only alright entry in an otherwise mediocre (and dead) franchise
>>
>>319891081
IV is harder.
But III has a few moments that can catch you off guard.
>>
>>319891743
The first fight with the knights as hugo got me from lvl 14>lvl 20 alone.
>>
>>319891081
Suikoden II remake when?
>>
>>319892885
hopefully never
>>
the game got really easy as soon as I got good skills on hugo. he was attacking like 5 times a turn for retard damage.
>>
>>319892885
Suikoden II Pachinko edition
>>
>>319891081

Definitely can start out rather difficult if you don't grind enough before certain parts, like escaping Zexen with Hugo.

With proper skills though the game is a breeze.
>>
>>319892885

No.

Don't even ask for it.

Let it rest in peace.
>>
>>319891081
How do the Suikoden games stack up with each other? I heard that Suikoden 4 is pretty much universally panned, and that 2 is GOAT. Not sure about the others though.
>>
>>319892885

>remake

Why do people want this shit? Has there ever been a good remake that wasn't a total reimagining that was only similar to the original in the name and setting?

Anyway, power rankings:

2>1>3>4 (da comfiest)>>>>>>>5
>>
>>319892885
it shouldn't happen

suikoden 2 is a shining example of how gorgeous detalied sprite art can be, and the level of abstraction allows it to get away with portraying e.g. luca's traveling circus of fun

the only thing you could really do would be to fix up the bad parts of the localization, but then look how much it took just to get konami to put it on the psn store
>>
>>319893576
1 2 3 and 5 are all worth playing.
>>
>>319893605
Did this piece of shit really put 4 before anything? 5 is right behind 1
>>
I only ever rented 4 like 8 years or go or so and remember absolutely loving the start of the game. Was it just because I was young or does it just get bad?
>>
>>319893881
It starts out bad. Th whole game is boring and dull.
>>
The decisions behind 3's combat system were baffling.

Yes, let's incorporate AoE and range and positioning but give the player NO ABILITY WHATSOEVER to actually control where his characters stand! Hope you didn't need to use any fire spells after the first round, fucker.
>>
>>319893738

I thought 5 was pretty good but I really hated the main character. Actually, I hated all the character designs -- by far the worst of any Suikoden game (and I thought 4's protag with his short shorts were bad...)
>>
>>319892885
The only thing Suikoden 2 need is a new English translation. It's full of typos and over-used punctuation like "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". It's like it was written by a 12 year old from Deviantart.
>>
>>319893576
suikoden 1 is enjoyable, but rough. you can see hints of what the series would go on to master here and there, but for the most part it's straightforward and unchallenging in both gameplay and narrative. a very easy playthrough; it's quite short by jrpg standards and there are plenty of good moments

2 is widely considered the best. the increase in quality from the first game is enormous and manifests in pretty much every aspect of the game; the first third is probably the best sustained string of jrpg story I've ever played. one of the best games on the system and in the genre.

3 was the last game by the original series' director. it experiments mostly unsuccessfully with the battle system and the concept of multiple characters, but the transition to 3d wasn't executed very gracefully, and the characters, story, etc. just aren't as memorable.

4 would be a mediocre me-too jrpg if you didn't know anything about the series. if you do, chances of enjoying it drop even further.

5 is basically "hey wasn't suikoden 2 really great," which, it was, but at that point the series was clearly existing for its own sake rather than because there was a need for it to exist
>>
File: 1443840203625.jpg (253 KB, 850x689) Image search: [Google]
1443840203625.jpg
253 KB, 850x689
>>319893576

1 is sort of rough around the edges but a great floorplan for what Suikoden was to become.

2 improved upon 1 in every way and damn near perfected it both gameplay, art, and story wise.

3 was a step back graphically but the skill system, mounts, and a few other changes kept the series fresh and fun.

4 was awful. 90% of the cast all use 1-handed swords, use the same battle stance, and attack the same way. Ship as a castle was cool in concept but horribly executed (tried to go for a windwaker feel and failed). Encounter rate is FUCKING. AWFUL. Almost no likable characters.

Tactics is fun but not really a mainline game. Fleshed out some characters from 4 though.

5 was a return to the story-telling of 2 mixed with elements of 3. Very good game but god is it not very pretty to look at.

All except 4 are worth playing. If you have a guide, 4 can be... bearable.

Suikoden II is a beast of a game though. Ties with pic related and breath of fire 4 for my all time favorite JRPG.
>>
>>319893881

Nah, it's not bad.

Suikoden fans just get buttblasted by the fact that it was a step back from its predecessors. Making the party size smaller was the biggest gripe, and maybe the fact that they took away a new combat system and played it safe with generic Final Fantasy turn based combat.

If you play the game on its own merits and stop comparing it to the admittedly superior sequels and prequels, it's still a fun RPG. This is much easier to do if you haven't played the others (I started with 4 as well)
>>
>>319894268
>>319894326
Thanks for the advice anons. Sounds like definitely play 1 and 2, maybe play 3 and 5, and don't play 4?
>>
>>319894429

>forgetting nothing but 1-handed sword users for 90% of playable fighters
>encounter rate when sailing
>Snowe as a character in general
>No unique Unite attacks other than RUNUPSLASHSLASHRUNBACK

C'mon man.
>>
Do we talk about Tierkreis It was pretty good by memory
>>
>>319894641
pretty much

definitely play 1 before 2. 2 is self-contained, but there are several returning characters and many callbacks you won't appreciate otherwise
>>
>>319894641

I personally say definitely try them all except 4.

All have their own merits, and they are all interconnected with characters making cameos in multiple games. Since Suikoden all occurs in the same world and around the same time (except IV), you get a much larger fleshed out world if you play all of them.
>>
>>319894747

Snowe had some fucking DOPE outfits though, son. I forgave him.

Didn't really care about the one handed sword stuff, not like your party was ever bigger than 4 anyway.

Maybe I just didn't have the other games to compare it to since it was my first Suikoden, that's why I didn't mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN-j9d1-aDA&ab_channel=IGN

>>319894641

Play whatever the fuck you want, dude. Don't listen to /v/, just make decisions for your fucking self.

Try 4 out and if you don't like it, drop it. But you'll miss some references in 5... so if you like the lore, I dunno, maybe it's worth playing.
>>
File: suikoden.jpg (111 KB, 852x1580) Image search: [Google]
suikoden.jpg
111 KB, 852x1580
>everyone says 4 is shit
>jeane is finally playable and hot af
fugg
>>
>>319895325

>everyone says 4 is shit
>but then says 3 has shit combat, b-but it's still good guys!

Between the jarring narrative and the shittiest JRPG combat to date, I can't even fathom why people could honestly suggest skipping 4 but playing 3.

3 has aged like sour milk, it just happened to be released right in that sweet spot where /v/ was too young to know any better.
>>
File: EEEEH.png (1 MB, 1449x687) Image search: [Google]
EEEEH.png
1 MB, 1449x687
>>319895141

If you didn't have the other games to compare it to then yeah there's the biggest hole in your argument. Coming from games with bigger character variety, more depth in battle, better character development, and better castle systems makes this one seem so underwhelming and bland by comparison.

And you actually don't miss much story in any of the other games by missing 4. With such a large disconnect between the timelines of IV and the rest, with some exception (Ted) everyone is long dead by the time 1 rolls around and everything else happens.

If you like SRPG's though, I'd say play/beat IV with a guide so you can upload the Hero into Tactics. I did that because I loved the data upload system between 1, 2, and 3. Probably the only thing 4/Tactics did right.
>>
>>319895489
3 has bad gameplay systems, good visual design, good characters, and a decent story. 4 has decent/serviceable gameplay, but the story, characters, and design are dull and unremarkable.
>>
>>319895489

But anon, that's wrong. 3 doesn't have bad combat. You just have to make your way into the story a bit to appreciate it.

Between the skills system, mounts, unite attack (and critical unites a la S2), it was actually a very fun game battle-wise.

4 took away 2 character slots, removed skills, removed critical/unique unites, and removed mounts while giving the most bland rune magic animations possible.

It added nothing.
>>
File: spot_SuikodenIII01.jpg (72 KB, 625x250) Image search: [Google]
spot_SuikodenIII01.jpg
72 KB, 625x250
>>319891081
>The only JRPG with black people
kek
with Barret and funky ff13 guy
>>
>>319895987

Nigga I KNOW you ain't forgetting Hauser and Bob from S2
>>
>>319895325
Tough choice I guess.
>>
>>319896087
Bob wasn't black, he was a beastman, or whatever everyone else in that werewolf village called themselves.
>>
saw suikoden 3 on psn store this summer, never had even heard about the series, bought it and enjoyed it. I liked Chris way too much.
>>
>>319896438
>I liked Chris way too much.

Tell me you didn't give her the true fire rune, she's the worst possible choice for it.
>>
>>319891081
It's also not as good as the first 2
>>
>>319891081
Is Suikoden 5 available on PSN?
>>
Can't speak for the rest of the series but Suikoden 1 & 2 were easy as shit so anything slightly more difficult than that will seem marginally harder.
>>
File: mc3ov8s5ug1qk8ni7.gif (420 KB, 225x236) Image search: [Google]
mc3ov8s5ug1qk8ni7.gif
420 KB, 225x236
>>319896707
Suikoden 3 only came out 3 days ago on PAL PSN.
>>
It's only really hard at the beginning because every enemy is balanced around you having decently leveled skills, which you won't have at the beginning. And most of the new things they added to the combat just hinder you while enemies can generally ignore it. Like every enemy as such a high move stat that they can basically run around the entire battlefield while you're stuck plodding around. Or you can nuke your own guys with AoE magic but enemies will always dodge their own teams AoE spells.
>>
>>319896508
Yeah about that... Well I do have a save just before that if I ever want to change my choice (i just wanted her to be chosen one and stuff...)
>>
>>319895987
I was never into milfs until lucia
>>
>>319896918
>EU June 24, 2015
>3 days ago
what
>>
>>319897749
maybe it was just Australia then I think i heard it has something to do with our rating system. I checked the PS2 section pretty much every day for months waiting for it.
>>
>>319897413
Making her the fire rune bearer fucks over two people, as not only does she have horrible fire affinity, Hugo has horrible water affinity.
>>
>>319894747
Snowe was the best part of 4
>constantly outdo snowe and make him look like a dumb little bitch multiple times
>he cries and runs off to join some rogue pirates
>slap his shit and tell him to fuck off instead of killing him like you did his teammates not once, not twice but three fucking times
>find him floating on a raft in the middle of nowhere begging for death
>initiate him into your crew as fucktoy relegated to the lower deck with no friends and no reason to live

Felt pretty fucking good
>>
>>319898380
Yeah, it's pretty obvious Chris is supposed to get True Water since her dad had it before. I don't understand why they even give you a choice.
>>
>kept expecting the castle in 3 to get expanded like in the first 2
>finish the game and they don't even fix the holes in the walls
what a disappointment
>>
>>319894239
God, the excessive punctuation drives me nuts every replay.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.