[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the WiiU selling so badly? It might not reach Gamecube
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8
File: Best Selling Consoles.png (35 KB, 586x633) Image search: [Google]
Best Selling Consoles.png
35 KB, 586x633
Why is the WiiU selling so badly? It might not reach Gamecube levels. Why have so many people abandoned Nintendo?
>>
>>319885251
>It might not reach Gamecube levels.
It definitely won't. Beating the Master System will be an accomplishment.
>>
>>319885251
In my case I abandoned nintendo after my wii was just there collecting dust

Barely any games and if they released one it was a casual game aimed to family
>>
Long story short? Because Nintendo abandoned the consumer.

For the money they have to pony up, consumers want top-of-the-line visuals and convenience. The Gamepad offered some convenience, but can't match smartphones.

Their product sucks, the software as of recent has been a travesty to their own name, no surprise that it didn't sell.
>>
>Why have so many people abandoned Nintendo?

Because of stigma. It's all just a popularity contest.

Most people seem to think last gen was the only gen, and that Nintendo has only ever made the Wii, which was stinky poo poo baby shit, or so the kids on the playground are saying. Video games of today also largely sell on "mature" themes, primarily violence, and Nintendo doesn't tend to make violent games.
>>
I want to play a lot of different games from different genres. The WiiU only supports Nintendo games and a few third party developers who were more stubborn than Nintendo could scare away.

The only thing I'm willing to give the WiiU is that it pulled the Wii from PS2 era graphics, which isn't much of a compliment because graphics don't mean anything to me.
>>
>Work in retail
>People STILL dont realize Wii-U is its own thing

That probably doesnt help
>>
>>319887278
This.

Nobody knows what the Wii U is.

Everybody (and I literally mean the overwhelming majority of people) think it's some kind of controller pad for the wii
>>
>>319885251
>mostly first party games that most gamers dont want to play: kiddie games
>almost non-existent 3rd party and multiplat lineup that gamers want to play
>dont have enough console-selling games. only Bayo 2
>censorship. no one wants to support commie consoles
>doing a poor job trying to steal PS and Xbox fans, or at least get them to buy Wii U
>with NX coming, no one wants to buy a soon-to-be dead console
>>
>>319885251
so how come the gamecube, with a library better than 75% of the other consoles on there, sold so poorly? The gamecube's "failure" has never made any sense to me. Was it because it had to compete with the PS2?
>>
Bad marketing. You can have the best system, the best games, you can shit out a fucking machine that makes gold, but if the advertising and the iconography doesn't click with the consumer the awareness doesn't spread and it doesn't sell.

Personally I didn't buy it because I didn't see any games on it I really wantedo ther than 2 or 3 and I don't buy shit to only play one game, but I've noticed A LOT of people don't even know it exists among my circle of friends.
>>
>>319887559
It was also the cheapest console. Maybe it was the lack of online.
>>
>>319887559

No the GameCube just looks ugly as shit. PS 2 isn't much better but the GameCube looks like a shitty CD player.
>>
The people don't want games like Pikmin, Bayonetta or Xenoblade. They want games like BamHam, Fallout 4 and Bioshock Infinite.
>>
File: new ceo.jpg (45 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
new ceo.jpg
45 KB, 540x304
>>319885251

The entertainment business is cyclical regardless of the quality of the product. One day you are hot, the next day you are not. The question is, when things turn sour, can you still make money and survive?
>>
I grew up with nintendo and the last console I owned from them was a gamecube. They can go fuck themself. Especially with the lackluster line up the Wii U has. And no, you don't have to tell me how much YOU like the games on the Wii U, they are not appealing for most people, hence the Wii U selling like shit.
>>
File: 1432047321640s.jpg (88 KB, 499x624) Image search: [Google]
1432047321640s.jpg
88 KB, 499x624
>>319885251

>Shit company
>No games
>Shit fanbase
>>
File: 1373839568440.jpg (94 KB, 867x775) Image search: [Google]
1373839568440.jpg
94 KB, 867x775
>>319885251
>yfw PSP beat the GBA
>>
>>319887847

Nintendo will probably survive out of shit based on their franchises than actual games from now on.

Fucking Amiibos here sell like hotcakes and most people I know with them don't even have a 3DS or a Wii U
>>
>>319887954
I always thought the PSP was somewhat of a failure, but it sold extremely well.
>>
>>319887559
>released last
>poor third party support
>no online
>kiddie console status
>>
People don't actually realize that the Wii-U is it's own console and think the most recent console from Nintendo is the Wii.
>>
MARKETING
A
R
K
E
T
I
N
G
>>
>>319887954
GBA is Nintendo's worst selling Handheld next to the 3DS
>>
>>319888058

Then the Vita happened.
>>
>>319887883

Games don't matter to sales. PS4 is selling super well but it has nothing worthwhile.
>>
File: Wes-dance.gif (226 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
Wes-dance.gif
226 KB, 100x100
>>319887954
>thw only bought psp to pirate and emulate
>>
The auidience Nintendo courted with the Wii moved on to mobile
>>
>>319888217
That is your opinion. Read my post again, your personal opinion is not important for mass appeal.
>>
>>319885251
it had a 10 year old gimmick (two screen DS thing) an 8 year old gimmick (waggle controls) and struggled to have the same performance power as the PS3/360
throw in the fact they lost a good chunk of 3rd party and have released less in house games than the GC did and you have a sure fire failure in your hands.

Now it's even in worse shape because the Bone and 4 are hitting close to the same price with better hardware and bigger libraries
>>
Personally I don't use my Wii U much because there are so few games for it. I got the bundle with Wind Waker, and I only recently started playing it because I got Splatoon on black Friday. We have Bayonetta 2 but not much other than that and squid furry game. Hopefully there's some more good games in the works
>>
>>319888250

It's funny how people cry about how piracy killed the PSP meanwhile the Vita is dead in the water
>>
>>319888217
>games don't matter

PS4 is selling because of the third party support. Having access to GTA, Madden, Fifa, and Call of Duty is what makes it sell.
>>
>>319888131

No. Entertainment is cyclical. Marvel went bankrupt, but yet they are the hottest thing now. Its a tricky business.
>>
No clue. Xenoblade is amazing though and I am glad I bought a Wii U now.
>>
>>319886912
>Long story short? Because Nintendo abandoned the consumer.

They've been like that since day one.

Nintendo NEVER cared about their consumers, they were just lucky to never have a competent rival until Sony and then MS came around.

Every gen bar the Wii for them has resulted in lower sales.

They need to actually be nice to 3rd parties, but no they don't want to.

They also want to destroy all gameplay vids on youtube, speed runs, guides, lets plays, etc

I know /v/ hates lets plays, but can you really wanna support someone so jewish with their IPs?
>>
>>319888474

There's nothing tricky about it. Marvel went into Hollywood and Vidya to keep from becoming irrleavent since their comicbook industry is lol nowadays.
>>
>>319888684

Heh, you'll see. One day, no Marvel or "superhero" movie is going to pack theaters, no matter the marketing.
>>
>>319888471

All games that can be played on PC and XBONE.

It's not the games, it's the brand image. That is all that ever mattered.
>>
No one abandoned Nintendo. Nintendo abandoned its core fan base
>>
>>319888831

Maybe, just saying that's what's been keeping them afloat right now. That and Disney. Marvel wouldn't even be a blip on the map if they stuck to comics.
>>
>>319888831
>no Marvel or "superhero" movie is going to pack theaters

This is strictly false. Superhero movies have been huge since Superman 1.
>>
>>319885251
They really, really fucked up the name, I get some housewife daily asking me if this Wii U is an addon or somethingfor the Wii,usually ends up with, thank you but i think we'll be fine with the Wii
>>
>>319885251
Nintendo never had a clue what they were doing and now people are finally starting to realize
>>
Imo I've had more fun on gamecube and Wii U than on this pos Wii. It's sad for them to not reach good sales when the system is great tho.
>>
>>319888984
>It's not the games, it's the brand image
It's actually more. Microsoft shit the bed pretty hard with always online DRM, $100 more for the same box, losing CoD timed exclusive deals to sony, worse marketing and worse performance. PC is not really an option for people since it's harder to use, harder to build and more expensive in almost every country there is. The only games people use their PC for are things like league of legends or CS:GO which have very low system requirements.
>>
>>319887559
I love Nintendo, but thinking that the Gamecube had a better library than the PS2 is absurd levels of delusion, it might be argued that the N64 had a better library than the PS1, but the same can't be applied to the GC, it just wasn't the best.
>>
Nintendo: "We are done making games and hardware for gamers. We are now making games and hardware for retired people and yoga moms."

Huh... what... after buying a copy of Wii Sports and Wii Fit, retirement homes and yoga moms don't want to purchase new hardware and another Zelda remake?

Well, fuck.
>>
>3ds wont outsell the psp
>3ds and vita combined might not reach psp
>ds alone did 150m
I didn't realize how badly the handheld market was doing.
>>
>>319888474
No its hard to sell consoles when soccermoms have no idea what the fuck it is so they'll just stick with Wii / whatever they got and maybe get a new game for it. I just dont get it how they messed up the naming that badly, naming it Wii 2 wouldve eliminated all these problemsbut no we nintendo
>>
>>319889275
PS1 and N64 has always been a wash to me. What a great time to be a gamer. So many GOAT games released during that gen.
>>
File: 1448433598650.png (24 KB, 808x805) Image search: [Google]
1448433598650.png
24 KB, 808x805
ITS NOT FAIR
>>
>>319887561
This, it's both a combination of not knowing how to market your console to people and also because players nowadays don't like new things, they don't wanna take risks, even when the game is guaranteed to be good if made under Nintendo, they rather stick with their shooters and cinematic experiences, it doesn't matter how much less gameplay they have over other games, to them it feels like they got their money worth compared to Mario 3D Land, a game they'll play for 20 minutes and then drop, only to beat it later to justify spending their money.
>>
>>319889095

Rubbish. Even Disney felt the sting of their animated films selling below expectations in the past. It took "The Little Mermaid" to bring the genre back on its feet. Now guess what, Disney classics are once dead again.
>>
File: 1449438388335.png (28 KB, 830x827) Image search: [Google]
1449438388335.png
28 KB, 830x827
ets nit fer
>>
>>319885251
It didn't come with Wii Sports
>>
>>319889453

Wii U has the best games m8. The masses cant change that fact.
>>
>>319889370
The reason is that children these days don't grow up under the same circumstances we did. You don't actually meet your friends with a gameboy link cable anymore to trade pokemon, you play CoD over the internet with them. People who grew up with this shit are also older and probably moved away from colorful platformers and play games that don't require much reaction time or have flashy explosions in them.
>>
>>319889485
>Now guess what, Disney classics are once dead again.

Frozen made over a billion dollars.
>>
>>319888984
But most of the people buying a PS4 wont have a gaming PC because they'll do just fine with only a PS4 to play their games on. multiplats are the main reason consoles sell believe it or not, people get the console where they can play fifa/madden/cod and some exclusives, and theyll play them on the console that has better reviews with a quick google as in more powerful, price etc
>>
>>319889382

I think the big problem is tha the Wii has alot of city named Wii, pretty much all Wii games and acessories are called "Wii ____"

so WII U just ended up sounding like another Wii part.
>>
>>319887107
>still believing this crap
It's not about violence, it's about good games.
>>
>>319889363
>nintendo says they wanna branch out
>THEY'RE ABANDONING ME ;_; I HATE THEM, THEY'RE DEAD TO ME
>but look at all these games we made
>NO, THEY HAVE WAGGLE AND YOU SAID WAGGLE WAS FOR OLD PEOPLE TO GET INTO VIDYA I HATE YOU ;_;
>hey we made a new console, this thing is actually like a normal console
>NO IT HAS A SCREEN SO IT'S A GIMMICK, YOU'RE STILL TRYING TO ALIENATE ME WITH YOUR SHITTY GIMMICKS ;_;
>>
>>319889605
That wont keep them afloat for long
>>
>>319885251
Because Nintendo has become shit. They just rehash the same ideas, new games come slowly, and they are quickly abandoned the moment they come out. Nintendo has very little concept of modern gaming and online networking.
>>
>>319889637

I'm talking about hand drawn animation m8.
>>
>>319889769

Why the fuck did it write city I meant shit
>>
>>319889485
>genre
triggered
>>
>>319887508
>>319887278
If people are legitimately that stupid then should we even fucking care if they buy it or not?
>>
it's pretty intense to see how bad the xbone is doing too compared to the 360

but I think that's partially because it's shit and media devices are no longer really needed with yer newfangled smart tv's nowadays. Also because halo is dead.

dont look at the vita tho... rip
>>
>>319889275
Oh I wasn't saying it had a better library than the PS2, just most of the other systems on that list.
>>
>>319887954
>>319888058
Actually, it was thanks to piracy. If the psp wasn't able to emulate everything it would not have sold so well.
>>
>>319889809
>I AM SILLY
>>
>>319889854

Yeah, yeah. Sure thing.
>>
>>319889769
Yeah thats it, most people that asked me for assistance on "this Wii U accessory for Wii" and i had to explain that its a new console with a tablet controller and they sounded very interested until the price came up and just decided to think it over and never returned
>>
>>319889863
Yeah sure, like games nowadays are so diverse and unique compared to Nintendo releasing the same game over and over again
>>
>>319889961
Guess that explains why the Vita is so dead.
>>
>>319889962
>implying it's not the truth
>>
>>319889961
>PS1, PS2, Wii, DS were the best selling consoles of their time
>they all had piracy
I wonder if people bought the PS4 out of brand loyalty or because they don't realize that you can't pirate it like you did when you were 3, games where I live are inflated as fuck yet I see people buying games going up for a 100 bucks like they were buying a bargain bin DVD that costs 5 bucks
>>
>>319889917

Nintendo cares because they need to make money as a company.
>>
>>319885251
a lot of the people that bought a Wii were first time vidya buyers who will never need to buy another system again. They have their collection of gimmick games, they have mario kart and smash. They barely or never play alone. It's a party machine, and as such a damn fine console. They don't need a Wii U.
>>
I am curious about NX, i wouldn't be surprised if it's a blunder
>>
Because only their dedicated fanbase buys their shit. Kids these days get by playing on smart phones and tablets and don't have a need for a console.
>>
>>319890084
It's not.

>>319890237
PS4 piracy techically exists already. Also there's a webkit exploit that could lead to accessible piracy, though it's on an old firmware so given how often sony likes to update the PS4 it could be a while.
>>
>>319890084
It isnt.

A normal console is something like a PS4 or Xone.

That fucking underpowered piece of shit with that retarded uncomfortable tablet isnt anywhere the other two.

Shame because Ninty makes good games
>>
>>319887508
It's been three years. If people STILL don't know what the Wii U is than Nintendo needs to completely raze their marketing team and rebuild it from the ground up.
>>
>>319890358

>NX

I wouldn't be surprised if it outsold the Wii + PS2 combined.
>>
Nintendo hit a lucky jackpot with the wii and assumed people were still interested in it because of late launch titles like just dance that happened to breach casual market demographics.

Realistically they should have known better. I remember there was a period of time where it was almost weird if I knew someone that DIDNT have a ps2. It had a fucking dvd player and everything. Fast forward another 3 or 4 years and nobody wanted them anymore.

Same case with the wii. Maybe they thought the motion thing was going to stick. Dumb idea.

Also who wants to invest upwards of $500 on a nice ass tv to look down at this weird controller thing repeatedly?

If nintendo had listened to what I yelled at my monitor during e3, maybe none of this would have happened. Let's hope the next system is a gamecube/snes esque system with some really fresh titles and some good exclusives that made people care about nintendo in the first place.
>>
>>319890482
>I wouldn't be surprised if it outsold the Wii + PS2 combined.

I would be, Wi didn't even surpass PS2 total lifetime sales
>>
>>319890459
But is it less normal than the Wii and its nunchuck/Wii mote?
>>
>>319890528
>Fast forward another 3 or 4 years and nobody wanted them anymore.

How so? I knew people who owned two playstation 2 consoles
>>
>>319890618
they became cool again mid ps3 cycle because of nostalgia. Early to mid release ps2 games had been gone long enough for people to really start to miss them.

Eventually people were just sick of them though and got rid of their ps2's.
>>
>>319890531
That's because they sticked to the 6 year console cycle, they kept the PS2 on the market for 12 years
>>
>>319890531

Ha. I was one of the people who thought the Wii would flop because of the Gamecube. Silly me.
>>
>>319885251
They focused WAY too much on the casual market last gen and lost many of their hardcore fans. They tried doing it again with the Wii U but tablets were already a thing and the mobile market was already widespread, so they were left with fuck all.
Also the WiiU is overpriced and has last gen specs. It undeniably has a nice library but that's not enough for many people.
It doesn't help that the gamepad is trash.
>>
>>319890482
The NX will be in an interesting spot. How will they sell it to people? Most have bought their new consoles. If it comes in 2017, what can entice people to buy it? Smash, Mario, Mario kart, and a new IP. Didn't work with the WiiU. If they have a really stupid gimmick, then they could end right in the same place as the WiiU.
>>
>>319890703
Doesn't matter, Wii was selling faster than PS2

Wii sold pretty fast at the beginning but it died pretty fast as well.
>>
>>319885251
>may not reach GC levels

It won't even come close to the GC in terms of sales. The GC sold 25 million, the Wiiu won't top 15 million.
>>
>>319885251
Also this chart isn't correct. The PS3 passed the 360 like 2 years ago. Also the Xbone has sold more than the Wiiu.
>>
>>319885251
>Why is the WiiU selling so badly?
Because the dumb nigger homebrew scene won't release 5.4/5.5 exploits for backup loader.
>>
>>319891010
Do you have a link to a recent one?
>>
File: 1396815696974.jpg (36 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1396815696974.jpg
36 KB, 330x330
>>319890482
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.