[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people refer it as turn based when it isn't?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
Why do people refer it as turn based when it isn't?
>>
How is it not turn based? You don't have the kind of freedom of actions to execute like you would with an action combat system. When you attack, you have a cooldown period before you can do anything at all again. Just sometimes depending on stats you can wait less time than others but that's just what makes it a more interesting system.
>>
>>319863223
It just isn't. Traditional, actual turn based games, have it so when a/an party/player/enemy acts, the other cannot. If I don't act, you cannot and so on. This is just acting whenever, where in actual turn based gamelay, like Dragon Quest for example, actions and turns take place one at a time, after the other has done theirs.
>>
>>319862942

You have to wait for the bar to fill before you can take your turn to attack.

It's not difficult to understand anon.
>>
It is turn based. Each character has a bar that fills up. When that bar is full, it's that character's turn.

Turn-based.
>>
>>319862942
>THE TURN ORDER ISN'T SET SO IT ISN'T TURN BASED

You are a fuckhead. Kill yourself.
>>
>>319864016
>>319864160
>>319864313
So can we talk about how FPS are turn based since cool down is a big factor?
>>
>>319864514
>FPS
>cool down
what shitty fucking games are you playing, faggot?
>>
>>319864572
just ignore the autistic cunt and his shit thread
>>
>>319864869
Yeah, let's talk about something else. I want to talk about Junko's tits and how I want to do thing to Junko.
>>
>>319863686
>>319864016
Not really. A turn is a turn when no other factors such as acting time is considered. I could act sooner or later, and whitghut waiting for the enemy to act. I could also not act at all. The enemy also does not wait for the player to act, so it will act whenever.
>>
>>319862942
Wow. So this guy is taking credit for speed factors that have existed in Dungeons and Dragons for decades.
>>
>>319865323
The problem is that you cannot act immediately when the charge is available, you have to wait until the previously queued person has completed his animation, uninterrupted. Therefore, it is still turn-based. A true non-turn-based game generally doesn't make you wait until one character has completed the task he has committed to before you can engage in your chosen act. And in games like FFIV, the order of choosing actions matter because these enter that aforementioned queue where, in general, motions are done in order--excepting of course the spellcasts, which have to fill up another time-based meter (obscured) before they can act upon the request.

We could get way too semantic with it and talk about IRQs in computing, but I'd rather not.
>>
>>319862942
It's very slow, menu based, real time. People think this makes something turn based.
>>
>>319862942
ATB is the same exact functional concept of stat-based turn order (think FFT turn wheel).
It is closer to turn based than real time, because it is a timer that directly and solely depends on a statistic/value, just like how turns are determined in a turn based game.

Of course, retards who never wrote a line of code in their lives think programming is magic and ATB is completely different because muh real time - in reality the "real time" gives an illusion of better pacing, which is why Square did this system in the first place.

>neo/v/ argues game mechanics
>>
If nothing happens until I have to press something, its turn based. If I can be in combat indefinitely without dying its turn based.
>>
File: 1446665962218.jpg (190 KB, 520x656) Image search: [Google]
1446665962218.jpg
190 KB, 520x656
>>319865195
You are talking my language my man.
>>
>>319868081
>If I can be in combat indefinitely without dying its turn based.
Sure, but there can be turn based games where that doesn´t apply. Empire at war´s galactic strategy layer was turn based and it was on a timer.
Turn based games were there is a turn timer are stil turn based games.
Or are you arguing that civilization is not a turn based game when you force 4 minute turns in MP?
>>
>>319862942
It is turn-based. It's just a twist on it. At the end of the day you're waiting for your bar to fill so you can act the same way you'd be waiting for your turn to act in a full-on turn-based game.
>>
How do we improve atb lads?
>>
I watched some final fantasy vii gameplay just now and I can confirm that it's not turnbased.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.