[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Sonic franchise die while Mario is still going strong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
Why did Sonic franchise die while Mario is still going strong? Is it because it has an animal as the protagonist?
>>
Sonic could have died for me if Sonic Unleashed was hogwash but I had fun with it so I kept going.

If I played Sonic Boom I'd probably be done forever but luckily I have not.
>>
because sonic team can't make a good game
>>
because mario games are good and sonic games are shit, especially once they went 3d

you gotta be blind or stupid to wonder this
>>
>>319835243
I love Sonic Adventure and not you or ProJared can change my mind on that.
>>
>>319835348
you can like whatever you want. but if you dont understand that Mario 64 is far batter than Sonic Adventures, you are as dumb as Op
>>
>>319835536
Banjo-Kazooie is better than either, I guess, but I'm more fond of Sonic Adventure.
>>
>>319835243
>Mario is good
>Sonic is shit
Love this meme. Even 06 is better than any fat plumber game.
>>
Because Mario transitioned through 3D gracefully and Sonic didn't and still completely hasn't.
>>
>>319835683
banjo kaoozie is about the same level or worse than mario 64. but both are far better than any 3d Sonic
>>
>>319835536
mario 64 > sonic adventure 2 > sonix dx > sonic adventure > sonic werewolf > sonic 2006 > mario galaxy though
>>
>>319834749
because sonic tried to change and add things like a story, new characters, new mechanics, etc while mario has been rehashing the same game forever.

Mario handled the shift to 3D better but now its just back to 2D platforming again with NSMB etc.
>>
File: 48d.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
48d.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>319835727
>>
Sanic went too fast
>>
File: 1444524481293.png (52 KB, 143x150) Image search: [Google]
1444524481293.png
52 KB, 143x150
>>319834749
Combination of SEGA being incompetent jackasses, Sonic going for both generational appeal and easy plays-itself gameplay (upon 3D) instead of perfecting their original formula, firing their old devs, and repeating these exact problems over and over again. Throw in bombs like '06 and RoL, and it should be no surprise why everybody laughs at the franchise.

Not even touching upon the broken furfag fandom of course.
>>
File: 1408549753857.jpg (807 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1408549753857.jpg
807 KB, 1920x1200
Sonic is still very much alive.

He stands the test of time. If anything I actually think he has more longevity than Mario. If Mario had a seriously horrible run of shitty broken games spanning a decade I doubt he'd still be around.
>>
>>319834749

It's because Sonic can't help reinventing the wheel every other game while Mario is consistent enough to take a basic formula and refine it.
>>
Meh. He lasted longer than Bubsy and Spyro and Croc and Crash and fucking Aero the Acrobat.

What do you want?

Sega lost its market and had no idea what to do with Sonic.
>>
>>319836621
>Sega lost its marke

By making shitty Sonic games.
>>
>>319836713
By making shitty business decisions for 20+ years, which includes bad Sonic games.
>>
File: xakteme3nzdmmupy78hu.jpg (63 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
xakteme3nzdmmupy78hu.jpg
63 KB, 620x400
>>319835243
>Mario games are good
Mario games are generic and boring as fuck most of the time. One thing I can't call Sonic Team out for is that they're not creative, they're just creative in the wrong ways. Mario games on the other hand outside of Galaxy 1 and 2 has basically been nothing but generic call back to times when Nintendo didn't shoot theirself in the foot a thousand times a month. And you're have shit taste if you think the classic Sonic games especially S3&K are anywhere near being shit. Call me a Sonic autistic all you fucking want, but their is still somethings that you can't call Sonic Team out for.

The only thing holding Sonic back is Sega being the most incompetent company I have ever fucking seen in my life and Sonic Team trying to changing the Sonic formula so fucking much instead of improving on what is there already. The Sonic 2D formula can be improved on so much as proved by After/Before the Sequel and pretty much every relevant Sonic fangame and the 3D formula probably can too if they just expanded on what Sonic Adventure already did, but Sonic Team just doesn't keep one single formula and improve on it.
>"How the fuck can Mario games generic as fuck and boring if you would prefer if Sonic stick to one formula!?"
Simply because Mario changes too fucking little most of the time. I can't justify spending 30 to 60 dollars on NSMB2 or SM3DW when it changes almost nothing about the original outside of powerups. It is like I'm buying a level pack instead of a game that can stand alone.
>>
>>319836197

Nintendo would do it.

Look what happened to Metroid.
>>
>>319837034
The Dreamcast was fine, it just couldn't dig itself out of the hole created by the Saturn.
>>
>>319837103

I'd rather play a "level pack" than a game that adds pointless gimmicks in lieu of actual game design.

No seriously, every 3D Sonic game has just been a clusterfuck of random gameplay elements thrown together in the hopes that something sticks.

The only reason why the Adventure games get a pass is because most people were children when they first played it and they have nostalgia glasses for it even though it had things like Big the Cat (Adventure) and a shitty emerald radar (Adventure 2).
>>
>>319834749
Some of the Mario games that have come out since the switch to 3d have actually been good.
>>
>>319837139
>one bad game
>it's mostly hated because of story reasons
>the game itself is not the greatest but definitely isn't broken

VERSUS

>at least six games with extremely messy controls
>some outright broken buggy glitchy messes
>introduction of characters like Shadow and Silver
>made Knuckles slow and stupid
>made Tails a literal child
>forcing you to play as Sonic's friends
>Sonic 4 was shit

The two just can't be compared, really.
Metroid fans are actually the biggest crybabies on the internet.
>>
File: 1445793320457.jpg (87 KB, 750x653) Image search: [Google]
1445793320457.jpg
87 KB, 750x653
So can someone please explain to me why in the holy fuck Nintendo never bought out the blue hedgehog when SEGA died?
>>
>>319836197

Sonic is the village idiot of video games. Sure, a few literal autists might still give a shit about him and his games, but everyone else just sees him as "that guy". They're not laughing with him, they're laughing at him.
>>
>>319834749
Not really

Sonic jumped the shark before than anyone would have predicted, and because no one told the hacks at Sonic Team that they were doing everything wrong
>>
>>319837772
Because by the time SEGA died nobody really cared about sonic anymore.
>>
Sonic actually moved forward and tried innovating while technology improved. After 64 Nintendo just rehashed the same Mario shitty over and over which bought them a huge number of dedicated nostalgiafags.
>>
>>319836197
>all this delusion

You don't fucking wager that if Mario games suddenly started to suck everyone would forget about them, but since we're talking Sonic, yeah, I guess people would drop Mario, simply because the autism levels are nearly non-existant compared to the Sonic fanbase
>>
>>319834749
Because the games steadily got worse, and sega never managed to recover.
>>
>>319834749
Because the "way past cool" attitude died after the 90s.
>>
The games aren't as good. They aim for a different audience now. Where as mario has its E rated charm without alienating older, non autistic players.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.