[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well /v/? I vote for Galaxy 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
Well /v/?

I vote for Galaxy 2
>>
For me.

Mario 64 > Galaxy 1 > Galaxy 2 > Sunshine.
>>
>>319805294

Sunshine is the best.
>>
Sunshine>64>Galaxy>EveryOtherMarioGame>Galaxy2
>>
64 > Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > Galaxy 1.

Galaxy had too much of a problem being Babby's First 3d Mario in terms of difficulty pacing.
>>
>>319805294
Personally it's 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy > Galaxy 2

I might be a nostalgia fag
>>
>>319805294
Galaxy > 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy 2

Galaxy 2 was exactly that minus the neat hub. Sunshine was great and looked great but I'm not packing extra chromosomes so I figured out how to use FLUDD in my platforming early on and the game became a cakewalk
64 is great but bogged down by limitations for the time, 64DS was good but it felt too busy with the 4 character roster.
I fucking loved Galaxy so much I 100%d it before the disc left my wii.
>>
>>319805564
I think I can also get behind this.

64 was really really great...Galaxy 2 might be better actually but the nostalgia for 64 is hard to deny or discount.
>>
3D World > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 > Sunshine > 64

3D Mario games just keep getting better
>>
>>319805929
I never played 3D world but I got the impression that it wouldn't really compare to the traditional 3d mainline games...

Also I'm not going to buy a Wii u because it's such a tragic disaster and Star Fox and Zelda have yet to come out....and Star Fox already seemed disappointing.
>>
For anyone that prefers sunshine over any of the others, particularly Galaxy 1 or 2, can you explain why?
>>
>>319806280
Full 3d control, FLUDD allows for speed, and the difficulty felt like something for someone who mastered Mario 64.
>>
>>319805294
Galaxy > 64 > Galaxy 2 > Sunshine
>>
galaxy 2 > 3d world > galaxy >>>>>>>>>>>>> sunshine >>>>>>>> 64
>>
As an N64 kid

Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 > Sunshine > 64
>>
Sunshine is the only one with actual camera controls, so Sunshine is the only tolerable one.
>>
>>319805294
Sunshine 100%, Galaxy games were a lot fun too
>>
Super Mario Galaxy>Super Mario 64>Super Mario 64 DS>Super Mario 3D World>Super Mario Sunshine>Super Mario Galaxy 2>Super Mario 3D Land

This is a long post, so I will split it into multiple parts.
Galaxy is a nearly perfect platformer to me. I don't really need to say anymore. I enjoy every part of the game to some extent, even the weakest parts (*cough* Rolling Gizmo Galaxy *cough*). The graphics are really top notch, especially for the Wii, the gameplay is fantastic, the areas fell great, cleved, original, and well-put together, there's a lot of charm (story goes here BTW), the hub goes head-to-head with Delfino Plaza for my favorite 3D Mario hub, and it's just so polished.
64 is a true classic. Nostalgia is a factor in its position here, but even excluding that it's still really well designed and fun to play. I know some design choices are old, but are they really bad? AT LEAST 95% no, and most are really miniscule. Again, not much else to say. It's the most replayable and iconic 3D Mario platformer, and that's for really good reason.
64 DS is about even for me compared to its predecessor. Heck, when I first played it I even thought it might be superior. However, its value is dropped by the controls and a few design choices that took away from the charm of the original. It's still a great port/remake, however, and in the end it does Super Mario 64 justice. Do note it was a really close pick between this and the next game.
Super Mario 3D World takes everything that made Super Mario 3D Land good and improves upon it while greatly fleshing out the world and making it feel more like past installments in the series. It's surprisingly really creative; this game and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon are what convinced me that the Mario series could once again be really creative and stellar. The bosses, graphics, levels, power-ups, and music all blow away Super Mario 3D Land. I'm really glad this game went far beyond my original expectations.
(Part 1 ends here.)
>>
Do people really think of Galaxy 2 as the next mainline Mario platformer?

I always just considered it a Galaxy expansion and group both games together. If the Wii could do substantial DLC you know that's how it would've been.
>>
>>319805294
Galaxy 1 has more soul than 2 and only autists disagree
>>
>>319808713
This, Galaxy 1 kicks the shit out of Galaxy 2. Also hub worlds are the shit.
>>
>>319808345
Sunshine bad tho
blue coins, weird level design, squirting things

There's only a few good platforming missions that require FLUDD. Then there's the FLUDDless stages. So you only get like 25% of a decent game
>>
galaxy 2 is awful

Linear as fuck, the powerups are dogshit, and yoshi wasnt fun to use at all
>>
File: Super Mario Sunshine.webm (3 MB, 920x518) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario Sunshine.webm
3 MB, 920x518
>>319805294
Emulated Sunshine is pretty great.
>>
>>319809040
>whining about linearity
> in a mario game

dumbest criticisms
>>
>>319809250

3D mario games shouldnt just be "get from point a to point B"

64 and sunshine didnt have linearity, and the galaxies forced it down our throats
>>
>>319809191
Huh, I was under the impression Sunshine had a 30fps cap.
>>
>>319809381
>64 and sunshine were bad
what a surprise
>>
>>319809545

except they werent
>>
>>319808528
(Part 2 starts here.)
I see Super Mario Sunshine as a parallel to Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA). The gameplay is different and has you focus on using one-off tactics, the characters and enemies for the most part are weird, it is the second installment (outside of Japan at least), and people are really divisive over it. I personally really enjoy this game. I believe F.L.U.D.D. actually improves the gameplay; this game is just as, if not more, fluid to control than its predecessor. There are less big areas, but each one is more fleshed out and succeeds in being memorable despite the shared tropical theme. The bosses are great (if weird), the hub is amazing, the charm pitcher is heavy, and the game is overall a satisfying sequel. The reason it's this low mostly has to do with several objectives in the game (a couple of Secret Levels, a few mediocre missions, some of the Blue Coins). There are other factors as well, but regardless this is a quirky, fun, and well-made successor to one of the most revolutionary games of all time.
Galaxy 2 is more of Galaxy, which is not a bad thing. Unfortunately, it really feels like a rehash. There isn't is as much creativity as its predecessors, the levels don't feel as complete (lots of generic platforms floating in space), the hub is the worst of the four in the 3D games (though its general concept is neat), the game's charm isn't as strong as others, a LOT is taken from Galaxy (including the story), and it overall feels less amazing. So is it bad? Of course not! I actually did like most of the throwbacks, the new items are really great, the ideas that are new are mostly fantastic, and that layer of polish isn't going away anytime soon. It may be the worst of the four classic 3D platformers, but it still has that touch to it.
(Part 2 ends here. Part 3 with 3D Land and my conclusion on the 3D Mario platformers is coming last.)
>>
>>319809545
>>319809583
opinions

Mechanically, galaxy 2 is great. You can't deny that. The controlling of Mario feels tight and enjoyable in the Galaxy games.

I can honestly say that I never enjoyed controlling Mario in Sunshine however due in part to FLUDD which was shoved down your throat with no way out.
>>
>>319810808

>The controlling of Mario feels tight and enjoyable in the Galaxy games

the hell it does. its floaty as fuck and I can almost never get the backflip to work unless I come to a complete stop and crouch
>>
File: tumblr_mdwixgWVQB1qd26v3o1_500.png (179 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdwixgWVQB1qd26v3o1_500.png
179 KB, 500x377
galaxy being much better than galaxy 2 makes no sense, galaxy removes the crappy mandatory hub world and gets straight to the gameplay, takes the fundamentals of galaxy and makes it reasonably engaging all while having not atypical melancholic atmosphere with a tryhard evangelion-esque ending

>>319808528

64ds has a cumbersome control layout and ruins the physics which is the primary thing that makes mario 64 interesting
>>
>>319810671
Interesting you consider Galaxy the best, bar none, and the sequel which you claim "is more of Galaxy" is rated so low... I guess in combination with your following cons it makes a little sense, I would just think it's weird that the game which is largely considered a Galaxy rehash is somehow significantly worse than the original...for the lack of originality? I don't know.

I enjoyed both equally.
>>
>>319811276
1000% this 2bhfam

best post ITT
>>
>>319811423

thanks
>>
>>319810671
3D Land is, put simply, the lightest offering in the series. It does succeed in being a very accessible title (great for the 3DS), as well as having great graphics, the series's signature super solid gameplay, and a great translation of the 2D gameplay to 3D. Regardless, it suffers from two main problems: linearity and dullness. The linearity is easier to explain. The levels in this game are the most linear of any 3D Mario platformer. I didn't touch directly on this with Super Mario Galaxy 2, but that's really where it began (Galaxy is open enough for me, and it didn't kill 3D World for me). This game, however, takes it to another level. With a couple of exceptions, the levels are REALLY straightforward. Good for on-the-go, but bad for comparing it to its brethren. On dullness, it doesn't capture the entire game, but it sure takes a good chunk. The bosses are disappointing (the final main one's good though, if not stellar), the power-ups, while really fun, aren't that new, most levels are super simple in design (see the linearity for a good comparison), and the game overall turns up to being an easy last place between these games. However, it's still a quality game. The charm, while smaller, is still certainly there, and the game is definitely well-made. 3D World is infinitely superior to this, however, and like said in Part 1 took the good in the game to make something far greater. It's a really good game, but someone has to watch the ceremony and take the bomb (yes, I know that's supposed to happen to fourth).

In conclusion, these games all show why Mario is such as great series. Sure not all are masterpieces, but each and every one in the end definitely gets a mark of quality in my book. Let's jus hope it stays that way.
(Part 3 ends.)
>>
>>319809381

>3D mario games shouldnt just be "get from point a to point B"
they should though, fuck collectathons and quests
id rather have 100 levels i play through twice than 10 levels i have to play through 20 times each
>>
File: mg2_ 114--article_image.jpg (26 KB, 418x235) Image search: [Google]
mg2_ 114--article_image.jpg
26 KB, 418x235
>>319813830

>fuck collectathons
so why do you like the galaxies then?
>>
>64
+less linear
-clunky controls

>Sunshine
+best controls
-boring levels(except the bonus levels)

>Galaxy
+good controls
-kind of boring in general

>Galaxy 2
+Galaxy but better

Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > Galaxy > 64
I'm seeing a lot of people that prefer the first Galaxy to the second. Can someone explain this to me? What does Galaxy have over Galaxy 2?
>>
>>319805294

Sunshine has the best control of Mario.

Galaxy 1 or 2 has the best level design.
>>
>>319805710
no they got worse as they went. though its hard to decide which galaxy is worse.

64>=sunshine>>>>>>>galaxy>=galaxy2
>>
File: Super Mario 3d World.jpg (218 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario 3d World.jpg
218 KB, 1280x720
>>319806127
>I never played 3D world but I got the impression that it wouldn't really compare to the traditional 3d mainline games...

That's because it is its own thing. Its basically 3D Mario as a platformer rather than a collecthon and its great for that.Like a true 3D sequel to Super Mario World that doesn't throw away the mechanics,
>>
File: 1448382614819.gif (1 MB, 451x331) Image search: [Google]
1448382614819.gif
1 MB, 451x331
>no Undertale
Wtf? This is a classic! Undertale is better than Mario 64.
>>
>>319814708
I like them equally, however Galaxy 1 does have a proper hub that is fun to navigate. I also really enjoyed the levels where you have all the time in the world to collect all 100 purple coins over a large level. Galaxy 2's purple coins tended to be linear levels on a timer or no backtracking while you tried to get at least 100/140 coins. I also didn't like how 90% of the "hidden" stars in Galaxy 2 were just collecting X amount of coins before getting to the star-thing and feeding it those coins.
>>
Sunshine>64> Galaxy 2>>>Galaxy
>>
I'd put 3D World, 64 and Galaxy 2 as the best.

Then Galaxy, then Sunshine.
>>
File: 1446683228630.png (54 KB, 749x434) Image search: [Google]
1446683228630.png
54 KB, 749x434
>3D World > Anything

Complete and utter dogshit opinion, see yourself out if this is what you actually think.
>>
>>319808528
>>319810671
>>319812173
Is that you Matthewmatosis?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.