[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on emulation shaders for retro games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: capture.png (619 KB, 1200x1080) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
619 KB, 1200x1080
What are your thoughts on emulation shaders for retro games?

Do you pick whatever looks cool, try to recreate the original display or just stick with raw pixels?
>>
>>319785330
try to recreate the original display, CRT shaders and gameboy screen shaders etc.

filters a shit though.
>>
I just do raw pixels. If you asked anyone in the late 80s or early 90s if they would *choose* to play shit with scan lines or CRT distortion they'd just laugh at you.
>>
>>319785660

This.
>>
scanlines can be cool, anything else is just stupid
>>
>>319785330
My philosophy is that any attempt to recreate the look of a display on another display is usually going to look shit.

What you should really be recreating is the video signal quality or the hardware output, which is why I love Blargg's NTSC filter.
>>
>>319787467
It can also be way important to recognise that some graphics were designed with certain screens in mind, especially phosphorus glow and certain aspect ratios.
>>
>>319785330
I don't remember playing gbc games on a CRT
>>
most look like garbage but that game boy one is ok. probably because it's based on a primitive lcd
>>
>>319785660
That's because almost nobody actually had the option, so they didn't realize how much worse it would be with just raw pixels.
>>
>>319785330

no filters, no shaders. I integer scale with nearest neighbour and that's it.
>>
>>319785330
I just play it raw pixel, I like pixels, I don't care if it wasn't how it looked on my tv
>>
I always use a smoothing shader. Come at me. I played on old CRTs years ago and it was fine because you were sat farther away from them. When you're in front of your computer screen, games look like shit though.
>>
>>319788265
As long as it's not bilinear filtering there's nothing wrong with using smoothing shaders that preserve the sharp contrast between different colors. Bilinear filtering is death to graphics though as it muddies up the colors and makes everything look less vibrant and if you use it you're bad.
>>
>>319785660
Old games were designed for and look best on old CRTs you moron.
>>
>>319790679
Some of them, sure. Not all devs took that into account though, far from it. Keep in mind games weren't made on some average TVs, but on high grade PC monitors that were much sharper and had a different pattern in the first place.
>>
>>319787631
Game Boy Player for the GameCube.
>>
>>319791170
>Keep in mind games weren't made on some average TVs
Yes they were.
They had to know how they were going to look while they were making them.
>>
>>319787631
That's not a CRT shader.
>>
File: RetroArch-0520-214636.png (58 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0520-214636.png
58 KB, 640x576
>>
>>319794393
This is not what looking at a GameBoy Color screen feels like.
>>
>>319794393
>>319785330
source? I would love to make emulated LOZ to look like this.
>>
>>319787631
SNES, Gamecube and Wii could do that
>>
>>319794601
retroarch
>>
>>319785330
Don't we have a board for this shit? Or is it completely dead?
>>
>>319794496
its close to that desu
>>
>>319794601
OP here, I used higan 0.94 with gameboy color display emulation from quarkshaders. 0.95 doesn't have shader support yet because of some bullshit reasons.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.