[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a mmorpg with a better quest system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: RuneScape2-18212539.jpg (114 KB, 1942x791) Image search: [Google]
RuneScape2-18212539.jpg
114 KB, 1942x791
Name a mmorpg with a better quest system
>>
>>319783502
RS is probably the best MMORPG.
Not modern RS of course, but around 2006/2007 the game was nearly perfect... in terms of quests... skills... combat... there's just been nothing like it.
>>
nostalgiafags should be killed
>>
>>319783831
has it changed now? is it still any good?
>>
>>319784153
Nope, they are adding more things, the only thing that still gets me is the amount of grinding, i use bots because there is no way i'm going to level up agility by myself
>>
>>319784153
it's changed a lot since then.
I can't stand to play modern RS.
there is still 'old school RS' which is the 2007 version of the game. it's a good time.

>>319784051
it's not even about being nostalgic.. it's just looking at the game for what it is and not falling into "wow RS le ebin game r u 12" meme. the way they do quests, skills and combat makes for a really great RPG and then top it off it's an MMO.

the only thing that comes close in my mind is vanilla/TBC WoW and even then the quests and skills don't come close to being as intricate as WoW. WoW has much better combat obviously.
>>
>>319783831
RS skills were terrible because they were literally just grinding for thousands of hours, and because the game had no real endgame otherwise that's what everyone did and what you were expected to do.

Runescape should have had OSRS's Deadman Mode from the start, and it should have actually been the main mode of the game. Server resets should also have been happening so players aren't forced into stagnation because of having nothing to do; if not, then the developers needed to be prepared to pump out a TON of quests/pvm challenges every month so as to make sure players didn't exhaust content.

Also, it would have been nice if there was some sort of connection between combat as it was applied to monsters and combat as it applied to other players; at very few points in quests or bossing was it essential to freeze, or make tricky escapes using obstacles, or to burst a monster down with a special attack before it healed, or even switch weapons or gear. Most combat was just "wear best melee armor and click on the enemy", which was unacceptable.
>>
>>319783502
Name an MMO with a better skilling/resource gathering/crafting system
please I need something to replace it
>>
Skyrim
Puzzles,layout and plot was much better
>>
I fucking love RS quests.

It's how all MMO quests should be.
>>
>>319784858
>the way they do quests, skills and combat
The quests are decent, but skills and combat? In what way is being forced to grind skills for in-game weeks/months/years on end a good thing?
>>
>>319784909
>>319784909
Repeating this guy's question. I especially like resource nodes that stay in the same designated place and go inert for a few minutes after using them, but respawn by the time you've made a bank run. Please. I can't handle carrying my mining shit around all the time in other games where the only nodes are stray ones popping up in the field
>>
>>319784786
Agility is one of the more tolerable skills in the game right now if you ask me. Rooftop courses make the skill a proper skinner box with random reward tokens, instead of an endless grind for xp only.

Woodcutting, fishing, mining, these skills are still endless boring grind with no variation and almost no interaction.

>>319784874
I'm not sure how functional Deadman mode really is. It's sort of... join one of the big clans or die over and over and accomplish nothing. Pretty impossible to play solo. RS definitely feels better with faster xp, and the xp loss on death + protected skills system is pretty interesting to me.
>>
>>319784874
>>319785056

the grind was terrible, I agree, but it made getting a high skill level an accomplishment at least. I meant more along the lines of how the skills actually worked.

I do agree that they really left a lot of skills unused but RS quests were still great. I remember the first time completing Dragon Slayer and was able to wear that Rune pl8body. so satisfying.

>>319784928
not an mmo though.

>>319784909
I don't think there is one.
>>
>>319784858
Modern RS is fine, they'd reached a peak of what they could do with the 2007 system and osrs is literal aids.
>>
>>319783502
Old school RS is a great down time killer at work.
And it is panda free.

New RS has to much gimmick to it now for me. Daily spinner and quests for free sp is just cancer.
>>
>>319785610
I remember checking out RS3 back when it came out, and getting that microtransaction shit shoved down my throat. Promptly uninstalled and never looked back.
>>
File: CQBNVJQUcAAxBI7.png large.png (81 KB, 736x1122) Image search: [Google]
CQBNVJQUcAAxBI7.png large.png
81 KB, 736x1122
>>319783502

there is none

pic related the best rs quest
>>
>>319784786
I really wanted to bot when I was playing but I was always to scared to get caught...
Was it worth it? Did you even get banned?
In want to play but I saw the bullshit pay to play "oldschool" runescape option and the "new" runescape felt like it sold out to the typical mmo formula with tacked on fps lagg
>>
>>319784051
Downies that actually think RS3 is good should be killed
>>
>>319786640
RS3 is also bad
>>
File: ef2.png (734 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ef2.png
734 KB, 800x600
>>319786424

You'll eventually be banned for botting. However, you'll end up having more fun before then because you can do much more content with a higher level character. If you know programming and bot enough you can even get to the point where you are able to pay for college through selling GP, although I've had over 500 accounts permabanned.
>>
Alright /v/
>Favorite Weapon?
>Favorite Song?
>Favorite Quest?
>Your Fetish?
>>
Do they still have this 1hr timer or whatever it was to recover items when you die? That pretty much killed the true RuneScape experience.
>>
File: connectmidpuzzle.jpg (96 KB, 398x334) Image search: [Google]
connectmidpuzzle.jpg
96 KB, 398x334
>>
The secret world
but both games have the best MMO quest systems
>>
>>319787172

>Weapon
Korasi's sword, that sword was cheap and had a special that did amazing damage

>Song
Temple Desecrated

>Quest
While Guthix Sleeps

>Fetish
Lolicon
>>
>>319784786
What bot do you use?
I can't tolerate levelling shit either
>>
File: TRIGGERED.png (472 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERED.png
472 KB, 600x700
>>319787456
DELETE THIS
>>
>>319787627
>Korasi's sword
C A N C E R
A
N
C
E
R
>>
tfw playing old school runescape and having a blast
>>
>>319787172
>Favorite Weapon
Dragon Dagger

>Favorite Song
Chain of Command or Sea Shanty
I'd also like to mention that Flute Salad is way overrated imo

>Favorite Quest
Fremmenik Trials

>Fetish
Inanimate Transformations (including but not limited to immobilizing weight gain)
>>
Why is Runescape the only MMORPG to ever actually try to have good quests
>>
Runescape thought me how to manage time. Monday-Thursday I would skill and make cash.

Come Friday night it was all Castle Wars. I don't think there will ever be a gaming experience as joyous as playing a game of Castle Wars on a weekend night in 2007.

Weekend was for questing or just hanging out in Seers Village/Catherby and chating with familiar faces in your home world.
>>
>>319787172
>Favorite Weapon
Abyssal Whip
>Favorite Song
Still Night
>Favorite Quest
Ritual of the Mahjarrat
>Fetish
Vorarephilia
>>
>>319788179
the fucking feels man

homeworld 55 reporting in.
>>
File: 1449568607261.jpg (177 KB, 376x408) Image search: [Google]
1449568607261.jpg
177 KB, 376x408
>>319787172

>WpN

GMaul, it holds sentimental value to me, I spent hours picking flax to buy it, it was my first P2P weapon

>Song

Barbarian Village, I wasted a lot of time in the Longhall killing barbs for arrows

>Quest

I always loved Dragon Slayer, that quest did an amazing job of making you feel like a badass

>Fetish

SFM Futanari

You haven't lived until you've fapped to Widowmaker fucking Samus in the ass with a 10 inch cock
>>
>>319788038
Because it doesn't take itself seriously and knows you should only resort to using enemy slaying as a means to quest as boss battles.
Also with how open-ended it is on how you achieve things through means.
>>
So are they actually going to make the dragon square shield act as an anti-dragon shield or were they just joking around?
>>
>>319787704

RuneMate
>>
The difference between p2p and f2p was day and night. F2p worlds were always so immature. Felt like you were walking into an overcrowded elementary school. P2p had the perfect balance of users scattered about and they had a real sense of maturity. It was always fun meeting adult players.
>>
>>319788475
>Widowmaker on Samus
link to whoever you're fappin' too
Is there Tracer aswell?
>>
>>319783502
Final Fantasy 11? At least it made you work your ass off for your badass gear rather than it being handed to you on a silver platter.
>>
>>319786267
If only that image didn't blow up some of the symbols, I would've believed this to be a real island on RS.
>>
Is there anywhere good I can play the RS from like 2003ish? Or do they maybe allow you to play R2 or w/e like they used to let you play the original?
>>
>>319783831
It was perfect around the time, today the mechanics are so simple the game has devolved into a mess of perfect prayer flicking and efficiency faggotry
>>
>>319787172

>Weapon?
Rune Scimitar peasant race reporting in

>Song
I think I remember really liking Dragontooth Island

>Quest?
I really liked Ernest the Chicken, Dragon Slayer, and Black Knight's Fortress.
...yeah, free to play peasant reporting in

>Fetish
being forcibly turned into a girl
>>
>>319784874
>Runescape should have had OSRS's Deadman Mode from the start

It fucking WAS that from the start. Only banks were safe. They removed PVP everywhere with the wilderness update. Fucking fagex.
>>
>>319787172
>Dragon Dagger
>Dream
>Underground Pass
>Non-anthro
>>
>>319791225
Darkscape?
>>
>>319787172
>Favorite Weapon?
Dragon Battleaxe
>Favorite Song?
Rune Essence
>Favorite Quest?
Fremmenik series
>Your Fetish?
Futa with horse dicks
>>
>>319783831
>>319789607
>2007
>Perfect
The moment OSRS launched people realised 2007 had fuckall to do and was severely lacking in QoL changes.

>RS now
>More simple compared to RS07

Come on people.
>>
>>319792451
In 2007 the player base didn't know how the game worked in every possible way unlike now. Mechanically OSRS is absolutely barren and the most interesting aspect to the game is how to maximize muh ticks.
>>
>>319791534
>>Underground Pass

And your fetish isn't masochism? Bullshit
>>
>>319787172
>Weapon
Enchanted Excalibur was endlessly useful while training slayer. D Scim otherwise, useful, dirt cheap and cool without being over designed (in pre HD at least)

>Song
Sound of Guthix, Soundscape, Temple Desecrated, Long Way Home

>Quest
Monkey Madness combines many of my favourite aspects of Runescape's questing. Silly but not totally wacky, puzzles, high risk, reward includes access to a new area, new weapon, new magic and a useful grind spot
>>
Is RS3 worth getting back into? I'm kind of wanting to start playing for some cozy quest shit like the good old days. I've always wanted to complete them all and I'm not even close.

>>319793363
I was so happy when I was done with that quest.
>>
who /osrs/ here??? game is changing my life and i never even got into it back in 07.
>>
>>319793607
I go back to it every now and then.
I was making a range pure, because why not, but then started training other combat skills, because I guess I wanted to at the time, and now I wish I didn't because a range pure is yet again sounds appealing so I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm definitely not going to start another character.

problem is I'm running out of GP to buy bonds with and making money is a choir. I can't flip on RS3 like I use to because of actual RS economic reasons and because I'm not patient enough so I'm kind of in a GP crisis.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.