[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everyone is assuming that Rise of the Tomb Raider bombed because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider_box_art.jpg (109 KB, 617x793) Image search: [Google]
Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider_box_art.jpg
109 KB, 617x793
Everyone is assuming that Rise of the Tomb Raider bombed because it was an Xbone exclusive, but maybe people just don't have any interest in a sequel to the Tomb Raider reboot? It really shouldn't have sold quite this badly, even as an exclusive. Perhaps people didn't like the first game very much, and the millions of copies sold at mostly heavy discounted prices is highly misleading.

It's not unprecedented. Uncharted Collection underperformed while Assassin's Creed, another 3rd party action franchise, is also in heavy decline. Maybe tastes are just changing? That could be a worrying sign for Uncharted 4, but Sony has the advantage of being able to ship millions of their 1st party titles simply by bundling the ever-living shit out of them.
>>
Tomb raider was never popular.
>>
>>319777043
First game sold 7 million copies in 1996. Fuck, it even had a hit film.
>>
>>319776785
Wasn't RotTR also bundled with XBone this month?

Unfortunately, I do think that alot of it has to do with the XBone. I don't think that the people who own an XBone are particularly interested in TR. It was a Sony thing for a long time, and most of the fans of the series probably have a PS4 over a Bone.

I just picked this game up this morning though. I liked the reboot and have high hopes for this installment.

Also, aren't the digital download sales bot included or something? It may not matter a whole lot, but most of the people I know who have a Bone don't really buy physical copies, and unless you got it in a Bundle, it's smarter to buy it over XBL (if you feel like spending 60 bucks, which most don't) because of that rewards shit that got going.
>>
>drastically alter the main character of the series
>only sell it on one console
>it ignores the progress the story and character made in the first game

I see many reasons leading to bad sales.
>>
>>319776785
>Perhaps people didn't like the first game very much, and the millions of copies sold at mostly heavy discounted prices is highly misleading.

this and done

TR Reboot was basically Uncharted for non-ps3 owners.

Opinions on Uncharted series may vary (I personally enjoyed the 2nd game, hated the rest) but TR Reboot was an absolute humorless game and it tarnished the Tomb Raider legacy

>I hate tombs

yeah, fuck you too bitch
>>
>>319777043
The originals were i didnt know anyone as a kid that had a ps1 and not tomb raider.
>>
>>319776785
I'm very eager to play it and have heard really good things.

But it launched on FO4 day, man. Talk about fucking suicide.
>>
>>319777306
There's no evidence that any individual game does disproportionately well via digital download. By all accounts, it's basically ~20% across the board, and that bump nowhere near enough to make it a success, and it still underperformed relative to its peers (it didn't hit the top 20 in the US).

The only real exception is probably The Taken King and that's because it's pretty much an expansion.
>>
File: df.gif (251 KB, 300x165) Image search: [Google]
df.gif
251 KB, 300x165
>>319776785
>rip off Uncharted
>abandon ps to avoid competing with Uncharted
>still lose to Uncharted
>>
Call me when it has dinosaurs and motorcycles and non-scripted platforming again.
>>
>>319777201
That was 20 years ago. The only people who bought tomb raider were horny children.

It's on the same level as hitman, which gets sequels but everybody forgets them and nobody should expect them to be big sellers. It also got a movie, but so did a lot of other video games.

Tomb raider "bombed" because nobody cares about tomb raider. It has been rebooted more times than the superman films.
>>
>>319777043
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uux2yYfpI_s
>>
Didn't the first Tomb Raider do really well in Europe? Maybe the main idea behind buying exclusivity was to try and help the Xbone in Europe.
>>
I liked the 2013 game enough to buy this one, but I don't own an xbone. I hope whatever Microsoft paid them for exclusivity was enough to cover the losses from poor sales, for their sake.

And seriously, knowingly launching on the same day as Fallout 4? Retarded.
>>
>>319777625
Yeah, I didn't think it made a huge difference. And 20% seems about right. So fair point.

But I'm sure FO4 had a lot to do with it as well. Shit sold insanely well. There were plenty of people who probably made a choice between FO4 and TR, and went with FO. Again, probably not a large amount.. but all these factors probably lead to it doing much worse than anticipated. I think another month or so will show whether or not this was a bomb due to the game itself, or the poor choices made concerning it's release.
>>
>>319776785
>it was an Xbone exclusive
It's not. It's a timed exclusive, coming to PC and PS4 as well.

It's sneaky how they marketed it as a full exclusive, and it seems to have worked because almost everybody thinks it is.
>>
>>319778065
FO4 has more padded game time than a story game. I can imagine all the poorfags asking Santa for FO4 over Tomb Raider.
>>
>>319778065
Maybe releasing the same week as FO4 was a bad idea, but it basically had to be released sometime in the holiday window, and I'm not sure releasing a week or two later probably would have changed that much.

>>319778240
Yes, everyone knows that it's an Xbone timed exclusive.
>>
>>319778423
>everyone knows that it's an Xbone timed exclusive
Except they don't.
>>
>>319778505
Everyone here does.
>>
>>319778627
Nope.

You'd be surprised how many people think it's a legitimate exclusive.
Just watch the thread and see.
>>
>>319778423
> had to be released sometime in the holiday window

Exactly. Maybe it will pay off now that the FO4 hype is dying down a bit (it is, isn't it?).

Personally, I got FO4 earlier because like what >>319778348 said. I regret it immesely. Really wish I got this instead. Maybe other people are coming to the same conclusion.
>>
>>319778505
Outside of legit first-party titles, permanent exclusives are very uncommon these days.
>>
i'll probably buy it at some point. i enjoyed the other one.
>>
>>319777940
>The only people who bought tomb raider were horny children.
HMMMMMM SO LETS CHANGE THE GAMES COMPLETELY AND APPEAL TO WOMAN AND SJWS BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS BUY GAMES!
>>
>>319777940
You're a special kind of retard if you think there is anything wrong with the concept of Tomb Raider. Indiana Jones with tits will always be profitable. If you take away the tits and turn it into indy + feminisim/sjw then... lol there's the your problem. You might as well start making games targeting black women while you're at it.
>>
ill buy it in a year when it's on sale for 50%
>>
>>319778505
This game was revealed timed exclusive since day one.

Release on Xbone, six months later PC, one year later PS4.
>>
>>319778989
It actually wasn't. It was announced as an XBONE exclusive.

It took months for the devs themselves to come out and say it would be going to PS4 and PC, because MS kept avoiding the question.
>>
>>319778881
Tomb Raider always appealed more to people in their late teens and 20s. It was not an easy game, and was very popular with PC audiences. It was a legit cross-over hit beyond the typical teen game audience of the time.
>>
>>319777962
I forgot how common it used to be for publishers to advertise games using pre-rendered footage back in the day. The UK actually ended up cracking down on it after one of the Ghost Recon games showed pre-rendered footage that was meant to look like gameplay and tried to cover their asses with some tiny fine print.

Hell I remember people making a stink over this Lord of the Rings commercial. The video quality on this upload is shit but basically, EA had a CG animation studio do a "re-creation" of how the game looked, but with more higher quality assets and smoother animations than what were found in the actual game, while making it look just janky enough that it looked like a game (even though it looked nothing like the real thing). This is the last time I can recall seeing someone pull that shit on American TV although I'm sure it wasn't the last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15a7fqWnR_8
>>
>>319779201
>was very popular with PC audiences
What? It was always about consoles.
>>
>>319776785
>playstation associated game on a non playstation platform
>Had to compete against the highly marketed multi platform fallout 4

these are the reasons I think IMHO.
>>
File: 65936590650.png (395 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
65936590650.png
395 KB, 500x375
>>319777693
>Lose to Uncharted 6 months before Uncharted even releases
>>
>>319776785
Been liking it more than the original to be honest. Not sure why since they hardly changed anything.
>>
Well they did piss off most of their fans
>>
>>319779429
Nope, the PC port was released at the same time as the PlayStation port and sold shitloads.
>>
>>319779113
It was never even hinted to fully exclusive.

Just like FF7R will have it's console "debut" on PS4.
>>
>>319777496

TR 2013 sold 4 million or some shit in two months. I doubt all of them were discounted prices
>>
>>319779974
It was literally, literally, announced as an xbone exclusive.

Watch the reveal trailers again.
It always says "Xbox One exclusive", not "first on Xbox One" or another variation.
>>
File: Noricum all the time.jpg (107 KB, 504x653) Image search: [Google]
Noricum all the time.jpg
107 KB, 504x653
>>319779429
Ladies & Gentlemen, HERE I present to you /v/! SEE how the child speaks erroneously on matters which it has only read about? And with such finality! WATCH as it's peers gather around, mindlessly accepting his words, and parroting them at in opportunity. THUS is misconception born! This /v/ THIS IS /v/!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>319779429
Lara is one of the most iconic PC gaming characters for a reason.

So much they made a model posing tool just for her.
>>
>>319776785
it's all about "open world" now, gamers are tired of hallways full of uninteractive "cinematic experiences" designed by the best Hollywood failures the gaming industry has to offer.
>>
>>319780393
He's right though, Tomb Raider was remembered more for being a big PS1 hit than anything else.
>>
>>319779974

Microsoft PR said it is Xbone EXCLUSIVE.
No bullshit or hangwords.

Later they said "yeah, it may end up on other platforms too actually"

And just mere days later it was confirmed for PC and PS4.
>>
>>319780410
Lara is also one of the most memorable PS characters for a reason, too.
>>
>>319776785
they turned a 3d puzzle platformer into a generic 3rd person cover shooter.

it fucking sucked.
>>
>>319776785
I didn't even know it existed until it released.

The first Tomb Raider reboot, on the other hand, had a massive hype and marketing buildup.
>>
>>319780573
>remembered
Sure, but that sort of thing is deceptive. It was definitely a big hit on PC at release.

It's not even a situation like GTA, where the PC version was first and the superior version but was much more popular on consoles. Tomb Raider legit had a big PC audience from an older crowd.
>>
>>319778916
But they turned it into Uncharted + feminisim/sjw
>>
>>319781049
No, Tomb Raider was legitimately one of the biggest hits on the PS1.
There's no ifs or buts here. It's a fact.

I'm not the person who implied it didn't make an impact on PC, but I am outright saying it was a massive success for the PS1.
>>
>>319776785
I'm buying it as soon as it comes out for PC. Get fucked hivemind faggots.
The first reboot was actually a great game. It's like Uncharted but with RPG mechanics and tits, what's there not to like?
>>
>>319781324
I never said otherwise - I just said it was very popular with PC audiences, which it was.
>>
Sources of TR bombing? I keep seeing it said but no one is providing links or anything, for all I know numbers are being pulled from thin air
>>
>>319776785
>The only reason why I played 1st remake was because they marketed it as a survival game.
>After killing 50th mercenary I realised I have been lied to, closed the game and uninstalled it.
Pandering to SJWs also didnt help.
>>
>>319776785
The problem is that they took Tomb Raider and made it more like everything else that was on the market.

It's well known that the executives at big studios are clueless idiots who mindlessly attempt to copy other games that appear to be selling. Most of the people who call the shots on franchises like Tomb Raider don't actually play videogames themselves.

The result is that the Tomb Raider reboot games are by-the-numbers generic product-games, and as a result no consumers have any attachment to the franchise, meaning it wont continue to sell well.
>>
>>319781960
Didn't hit the top 20 in November's NPD (US charts) according to people who have seen teh numbers on Neogaf.
>>
>>319781191
You know, I was cool with them copying Uncharted solely because instead of a globetrotting game that hinged on the interest it's shit story generated, I was able to wander around and explore one big locale, hunting... and that's about it.

If CD mad a nu tomb raider that was just one huge, trap-ridden tomb with clever puzzles and natural enemies beyond evil rapists. I would be down as fuck.
>>
I'll buy it the moment it comes out on PC. I want to play it, just not on the Xbox One.
>>
>>319782602
Also, no sidekicks plz. Old Lara was a one-women show, the new bitch is so weak and helpless she needs 30 people surrounding and complimenting here at any given moment. Fuck that's lame.
>>
First reboot was fun. I'm all for the second but I own a PS4/PC.
>>
>>319783003
Have you even played the reboot? She get everything done while everybody else complain and are scared.
>>
>>319783269
Ma'am, plz
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.