[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Team Fortress 2 Competitive Matchmaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: ss+(2015-12-04+at+07.11.10).jpg (47 KB, 527x567) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-04+at+07.11.10).jpg
47 KB, 527x567
So aparently Valve is finally going to release official matchmaking after 8 years of barely doing anything for the competitive community (only medals and a few news posts)

http://www.teamfortress.tv/24792/valve-and-competitive-tf2

The main problem for competitive in TF2 is how it greatly differs from the normal gameplay in public servers and the lack of exposition to the general public, wich has resulted in a scene that barely ever grows as old top players retire to more profitable games and few players join every year to replace them.
The competitive community also bans certain weapons and uses class limits for balance's sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vquSQD33dmc
Valve has aproached top player b4nny for private beta testing with the small group of people at Valve that are working on the project.
What does /v/ think about this?
>>
i don't, i forget about tf2 all the time
>>
I hope when Comp MM is released to the public, it isn't in beta anymore.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited.
>>
>>319744626

Any word of what weapons will be banned? Off the top of my head, DR, teleport wrench, Phlog?
>>
>>319744905
I don't think Valve will ban anything, except random crits

It makes sense for the Competitive Update to include loads of balance changes
>>
>>319744905
http://comp.tf/wiki/Main_Page

I use that as a reference for what to use that is relatively broken (and thus banned in competitive).
>>
>>319744760
I'm kinda frustrated that they dont embrace the competitive as it is and instead will allow all weapons and probably change some stuff... hopefully it will attract a lot of people to the real deal outside of matchmaking
hope that Valve adapts to the established metagame and it isnt the other way around
>>
By "competitive matchmaking" do they mean just matchmaking, that is competitive, i.e. supports mmr or w/e?
Or do they mean rigid arbitrary 6v6 meta "competitive" TF2?
>>
>>319744626
>b4nny
Only him?
>>
File: tf2graph...png (115 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tf2graph...png
115 KB, 800x600
the only reason comp players ban weapons or classes is because they are too bad to deal with the variety of options.
>>
>competitive TF2
smells like reddit here
>>
>>319745109
Matchmaking will have ranks (I think 14)
There will be a 6v6 mode and 9v9 mode
>>
>>319744626
>http://www.teamfortress.tv/24792/valve-and-competitive-tf2
> April 29, 2015

nothing is going to happen, guys. this has been a meme since april
>>
File: 2015-12-04_00-12-15.png (270 KB, 1269x713) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-04_00-12-15.png
270 KB, 1269x713
>>319745229
sure, even though this appeared during this month
b4nny says it might come during early 2016
>>
highlander is the way the game was meant to be played. 6s are a gimped version of tf2 targeted a bad players that are overwhelmed by regular tf2
>>
>let's make dota2 and see how much money we can generate with competitive tournaments
>first 3 years barely anyone cares
>SUDDENLY TEN GORILLION DOLLARS
>gaben:"SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN, WE COMPETITIVE VIDEO GAMES NOW!!!"
>do same shit with cs:go seeing as it's playerbase is rising past dota's
>"we now have 2 competitive video games that are making us retarded levels of rich... what should we do now?"
>"lmao make tf2 competitive too XD"

i wish i was working at valve, must be a fun place
>>
>>319745318
Matchmaking is gonna have both Highlander AND 6v6, no need to cause a war, anon.
>>
>>319744626
>competitive tf2
lololol get outta here
>>
>>319745415
He's right though. Highlander is THE way to play the game.
>>
hopefully there will be a report feature like in dota 2 so i can report players for using the wrong weapons.
>>
File: RMUeMlc.png (327 KB, 1273x716) Image search: [Google]
RMUeMlc.png
327 KB, 1273x716
>>319745131
only him for now, but they said they would give more beta passes to the other TF2 players that visited valve in April this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelPvdGskv4

sadly, b4nny cant talk about anything related to matchmaking for now
>>
PYRO REWORK WHEN
>>
>>319745152
some weapons are direct upgrades to the point where you either use it, or lose if you play against it.
hopefully valve fixes this once they gather stats from mathcmaking
>>
>>319745707
>some weapons are direct upgrades
everyone has access to the same weapons at the same time, so this shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>319745707
>direct upgrades
Only weapons like third degree can truly be counted as such.
>>
>>319745489
huh, I stopped paying attention to this game 3 years ago. Comp tf2 must really fucking blow right now if people think highlander is the gamemode that actually fits a competitive frame. Is based enoryT back? no? then fuck this game.
>>
>>319745707
>some weapons are direct upgrades
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>319745152
Why the fuck is Engineer and Pyro so high in skill ceiling (and this is coming from a pyro main kek)
Why the fuck is soldier so low in skill ceiling
>>
File: ching chong.png (303 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ching chong.png
303 KB, 600x600
>>319745907
>Pyro

>use enemy direct hit rocket to airblast jump in the air
>while mid air, reflect huntsman arrow and headshot a speedpogoing soldier
>before you land, shoot flaregun at medic
>land behind the heavy the medic is healing and puff him off of a cliff
>puff'n'sting to finish off the medic

>not the highest skill ceiling
>Soldier

>shoot feet
>le c-tap mastering

>high skill ceiling
>>
>>319746115
this post is hilarious
>>
>>319745907
Because being an effective Pyro is fucking hard.
Although that graph fails to include the absolute cap of efficiency for every class. Which is often low, despite the required to reach the top performance being really high.
>>
>>319745791
>>319745853
this shit
Heals extremelly fast even at recently damaged targets. Makes you run as fast as scout if you heal him and you rocket jump with soldiers and demo.
broken
as
fuck

i think its allowed in HL tho since its like the intermediate level before you play real competitive 6v6
>>
>>319745152
i doubt the person who made that graph actually played competitive 6's. demo, scout and soldier's skill ceilings are far higher than the other utility classes.
>>
File: idkwie.jpg (36 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
idkwie.jpg
36 KB, 500x281
>woah is that tf2 thread on /v/
>walk in
>retards in all directions
>>
>>319746543
at least it isn't full of people shitposting about how TF2 is dead
and now I just jinxed it
>>
>>319746416
>Heals extremelly fast even at recently damaged targets.
Does it? I honestly rarely used it or seen it used, since it's not that good.
The real problem isn't with the weapon, it's with 6v6, because it's not the way the game is supposed to be played competitively. It's only natural that in such an arbitrary team setup, normal weapons appear imbalanced.
>>
File: tff 2014.jpg (301 KB, 1776x578) Image search: [Google]
tff 2014.jpg
301 KB, 1776x578
>>
>>319747783
i'll take things that don't affect gameplay for 500 alex
>>
>>319747783
and the circlejerk begins
>>
>>319746698
its more desirable than normal uber or kritz for 99% of the situations, and deffinatelly better than vaccinator
>it's not the way the game is supposed to be played
the current meta was quickly established on 2007 simply because it felt like the best number of players and the right way to play competitively, just like in CSGO you have a 5v5 meta. its just that TF2 has some added mechanics that a lot of pubbers dont really know such as rocket jumping, rollouts, but really its stuff that can be helpful outside of competitive too
theres just a higher basic skills requirement in most classes than in other Valve competitive games simply because those games don't have this projectile jumping mechanics and very teamplay-heavy gameplay that you rarely see in public servers but is required to play competitive
I can see how an outsider can think these mechanics of constant teamplay and fast movement aren't "the way the game is supposed to be played" since its very different from public servers but hopefully people change their mind about that when they start learning in matchmaking
>>
>>319746543
>>retards in all directions
That's always been a thing, f︂︂a︂m.
>>319746416
It's allowed in HL cause it's shit in HL. It's OP in 6's, so it's banned there.
>>319744905
Currently I don't think Valve intends on banning anything. Right now they are just changing the map rotation.
>>
File: tff kill priority.png (394 KB, 490x1166) Image search: [Google]
tff kill priority.png
394 KB, 490x1166
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.