[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starcraft 2 general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 44
File: 0.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
>mfw you picked protoss or zerg scum
>>
>>319715139
I would never sink so low. Was Masters league for about a week in WoL.
>>
>>319715307
TERRAN MASTER RACE
>>
>>319715139
Hear, hear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bVj-nTkiU
>>
File: artanis.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
artanis.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>319715549
>>319715307
Protoss > Terran
scublings
>>
File: Protoss_Zealot_by_Snake101.jpg (313 KB, 800x545) Image search: [Google]
Protoss_Zealot_by_Snake101.jpg
313 KB, 800x545
>not playing as the Brotoss.
Plebs, the lot of you.
Except you>>319715793
>>
I like Terran for their music, but my win-rate is higher with Protoss.

Zerg might as well be brain surgery for me.
>>
>>319716134
I also like the Terran music.
>>
>>319716134
I really hate the Zerg design in SC2. To me, they feel like Blizzard completely failed to further emphazise and develop the unique aspects of the Zerg of BW, and instead just threw a bunch of shit together and called it a day.
Shit like the Corrupters, Roaches, the way Mutalisks were fucked out of their whole mutating into other units shit, neutering of the Hydras, Swarm Hosts, and Infestors, and of course, the base nanny queens, all bother to more or less extent. The only unit that really feels BW style Zergy in SC2 to me, is the banelling and of course Zerglings.
>>
File: 1448420532821.jpg (146 KB, 758x1280) Image search: [Google]
1448420532821.jpg
146 KB, 758x1280
>>319715139
>>/vg/
>>
>>319716134
Zerg is hard for me too, how do even mutate?
>>
>>319716490
I feel like Blizzard had no fucking idea what they wanted the Zerg to be in BW. Kerrigan's design was inconsistent from her unit portrait to her BW campaign model.

Considering the entire lighter tone of SC2 I'm not surprised the Zerg look less mortifying and more bestial. You can say that about pretty much any 90's-00's game though from an artistic standpoint. The remake of Abe's Odyssey is much lighter in tone than the original. Design tastes just changed I guess.
>>
File: THOR.jpg (493 KB, 1981x1200) Image search: [Google]
THOR.jpg
493 KB, 1981x1200
>>319715139
Terran it up with my awesome HUMAN brothers

FUCK YE
>>
File: Hydralisk_SC1_Art2.jpg (35 KB, 470x419) Image search: [Google]
Hydralisk_SC1_Art2.jpg
35 KB, 470x419
>>319716490
If I would redesign the Zerg, I'd do as follows:
>Focus more on the whole "advanced units morph from basic ones" thing. In fact, I would make all the combat units, outside of the Ultralisk, be morphs of the basic 3 combat units (that are the Zergling, Hydralisk, and the Mutalisk), with caster & support units morphing directly from larva.
>Rework the Queen to be more of an army support unit, instead of a fucker that sits at your base that you gotta click ever 30 seconds.
>Further focus on mobility, spreading creep, and turning the map against the opponent via it.

Regarding the first point, I'd scrap the roach, and replace it with a relatively tough, quickly regenerating morph of the Zergling, whose role would be basically the same; being meat shields for other zerg units that can tie enemy forces up so that other Zerg units can do their magic. The basic Zergling would retain it's scout, fast assault and harassment roles and I'd keep the banelling pretty much as it is. Potentially, I'd also ad a morph that would let the zerglings basically become Raptors from HotS, at the cost of becoming even more frail.

I'd make the Hydralisk the core t 1.5 ranged combat unit of the Zerg again by making it a bit less of a glass cannon. As for it's morphs, I'd keep the Lurker, and I would also ad a new morph, that would epitomize the burrowed moving thing (right now, roach is in a weird spot of being both a tanky, and also being an unit that is supposed to sneak around by moving under ground)
This unit would actually be faster under ground, than it is above it, and give it the ability to violently burst out of ground doing damage to any units who are close to it as it emerges. Attack wise, I'd give it a short ranged, splash damage attack. You'd use the burrowed movement of this unit to close in with enemy formations/worker lines and burst out of ground in order to start dealing damage.
>>
File: Devourer_SC2_Art1.jpg (84 KB, 550x674) Image search: [Google]
Devourer_SC2_Art1.jpg
84 KB, 550x674
>>319717752
As for flyers, I'd keep mutalisk basically the same as it is, however I'd give it back the ability to morph into more advanced flyers. I'd make the Brood Lord a mutation of the Mutalisk, and bring back the Devourer, with some changes to it that would make it more interesting (for example, it could get the ability to bombard ground locations with acid spores sorta like the Ravagers now have.)
I'd scrap the corruptor, at least as it is in it's current form as it is boring as fuck. The model is pretty sweet though, so maybe it could be used for another, flying support unit, that is more befitting of the name. Maybe give it back the ability to turn enemy flyers it attacks into immobile timed turrets like it originally had via a low damage attacks, so you'd need other flyers to support it, and maybe even give it the ability to spew "ink" at foes to blind them momentarily (it's a flying squid after all). The Caustic spray could stay as it's ability as well.
The Viper is ok unit as it is, so I don't really think it would need to be changed much.
Finally, I'd bring scourges back, as they were pretty much perfectly designed units, fit the Zerg exceptionally well, and they resulted in super intense gameplay. I will never understand why Blizzard removed them.

Regarding the rest of the ground based units, I'd keep the Ultralisk as it is, but I would merge the Swarm Host and the Infestor. The Swarm Host as it is, is a boring as fuck unit that fails to fill any real role, and the infestor is just confused as what it wants to be. I'd remove the Infestor's spawn marines and neural parasite abilities, and instead give it the ability to spawn a swarm of locusts, and also cast an AOE spell, that would cause any unit that dies within it's area of effect during it's duration, to spawn short lived broodlings. I'd keep the fungal growth and moving underground abilities on it though.
>>
File: Queen_SC2_Art3.jpg (170 KB, 748x719) Image search: [Google]
Queen_SC2_Art3.jpg
170 KB, 748x719
>>319718286
I'd rework the queen so that she would be less of a base nanny and more of a combat support unit, in the following ways:
First off, in order to spawn larvae, she would need to "nest" on any location with creep. Doing it would make her immobile, but would allow her to start spawning larvae around herself very rapidly at the cost of energy. This way, you'd be able to make proxy production centers with queens. In addition, I'd change her healing spell to be small AOE, and instead of flat out healing, make it simply super charge the regeneration of zerg units and structures for a period of time. That way, the units could rapidly heal even in combat. I'd also give her the ability to lay clutches of "eggs" on the creep that would spawn a short lived swarm of flying bugs if an enemy came too close to them. I'd keep the creep tumor ability as it is.

I would however, make the creep even more active entity in the Zerg gameplay, via giving the creep tumors themselves the ability to morph further, via small resource costs. These morphs would give the creep various qualities in an area around the tumor, for example, cause the creep to slow down enemy movement, or maybe even emit vision blocking smog, thus making advancing into Zerg territory even more hazardous venture for hostiles.

My goal with these changes, would be to make the Zerg feel more like an evolution of the BW Zerg, instead of a weird, bastardized version that the current Zerg feel to me. Of course, this ultimately just boils down to opinions, but in my opinion, these changes would result in both far more interesting, and far more zergy gameplay, than what we currently have.
>>
File: Ultralisk_portrait.jpg (13 KB, 154x145) Image search: [Google]
Ultralisk_portrait.jpg
13 KB, 154x145
>>319717451
The artistic designs of all the factions were shat over in SC2, but the Zerg probably got it the worst out of the bunch.
The original designs were way more alien, and creepy, than the SC2 ones, which are basically just bug dinosaurs that make fart noises.
Just compare the original Ultralisk portrait with the new one.
>>
>>319719193
No matter how old I get, that's still unsettling.
>>
>>319719576
The original Zerg portraits were far more scary than SC2 ones.
Hell, even the fucking Overlord managed to creep me out back when I first played SC1.
SC2 Zerg just look so damn boring and generic.
>>
>>319718385
>>319718286
>>319717752
you, sir, are a genius, hail to you, and even though I'm a Terran player, i completely agree with your ideas.
i do feel like Zerg need a re-work/re-design. and your ideas work pretty damned well if you ask me. Good job
>>
File: 1274124960705.jpg (2 MB, 5924x1074) Image search: [Google]
1274124960705.jpg
2 MB, 5924x1074
>>319715139
>>
>>319719576
i would hate to get gored by it
>>
>>319715139
>If you pick anything other than the Terran Master Race, you're a Xeno-loving heretic and must be purged
>>
>>319715139
Zerg took ten times more skill to play
> Very Hard = Zerg
> Normal = Terran
> Casual/Storymode = Toss
>>
>>319719193
Anything design or story related hasn't been good from Blizzard in well over a decade. Games are still fun, though.
I hope Metzen chokes.
>>
File: 1421185961500.png (190 KB, 380x640) Image search: [Google]
1421185961500.png
190 KB, 380x640
>tfw anything after brood war

and everything was just thickening to...
>>
>>319720570
To clarify what I mean by design, I mean their artwork, character design, armor, etc.
>>
>>319716749
What the fuck is next to that cat?
>>
File: orangejews.png (183 KB, 472x437) Image search: [Google]
orangejews.png
183 KB, 472x437
Zerg are my favorite race thematically, but mechanically I hate them.

Life is suffering
>>
>>319720762
it's a Zerg larva
>>
>>319720369
>nice connections m80
>>
>>319719193
Metzen would laugh in your face and continue to self-insert himself into every single future blizzard development.
>>
File: Protoss Disruptor.png (302 KB, 446x361) Image search: [Google]
Protoss Disruptor.png
302 KB, 446x361
>>319720070
Thanks m8.
I have some issues with the designs of both the Terrans and Protoss too, but as I never played them that much in BW as I did Zerg, I don't feel familiar enough with them to pinpoint the core issues I feel they have in SC2 in comparison to their original counterparts.

One issue that I can name with terrans, is that I feel like SC2 fucked up by making both the Barraks and Factory units way too dependent on Starport units to function well. In BW, Barraks, Factories, and Starports could all produce armies that worked pretty ok independently, and even better when mixed together.
However, in SC2, Barraks units lack healing, and Factory units lack reliable AA without Starports Support, which basically means that you always have to go Starport if you play terran.

I feel that this issue would be fixed if Medics were brought back, medivacks either scrapped or modified, and if the Factory was given an actually good Anti Air unit that fixes the hole left by Goliaths.

As for the protoss, they just feel like a hodgepodge of various issues, that I don't really have any clear ideas of how to fix. I do feel that many of their units are simply just boring, like the Colossi or the Immortals for example. Hell, Legacy of the Void itself provides units that fill the roles of those units better, while being also way more interesting. Disruptors are way more fun to use than the boring as fuck colossi, and still fill the splash damage role, and the Annihilators in the LotV campaign are way more interesting anti armor units than the Immortals are.
>>
>>319719193
I think that was more a product of what was popular in the 90's than anything. It makes sense if you think about what kind of games came out around that time, like Sacrifice and Fallout.
>>
>>319721258
Trust me when i say that i loved the medic in BW, but also trust me when i say that i also hated them, they were really, really fucking broken, and even though you're right about the need for terrans to have starports, isn't it some form of a good thing when the game influences the use of all of the different structures and units?

as for protoss, i completely agree, but the colossi are for the A-move toss players
>>
File: Dragoon_SC2-LotV_Rend1.jpg (37 KB, 325x273) Image search: [Google]
Dragoon_SC2-LotV_Rend1.jpg
37 KB, 325x273
>>319721258
I for one, loved using Dragoons in the campaign and the Co-op missions.
They feel like the only Protoss unit that actually somewhat retains the original aesthetics of the Protoss from SC1.

In the multiplayer, I feel that the protoss gateway units are simply sorta unimpressive, and too frail in general. They were tanky as fuck in BW, but in SC2, they melt away in seconds.
>>
>>319721830
I simply feel that SC2 forces you to go Starport, even if your strategy in mind is focused on barracks or factory units, which imo, actually limits your strategic options in the game.
In BW, you used the units from all the production structures, because they naturally synergized well, but you could also focus nearly completely barracks or factory (less on starport though, due to their lack of good anti ground units outside of Battlecruisers), if you wanted to. In SC2, you simply cant. Barracks units absolutely need healing, and the only source for it are the medivacks, and the Factory units were in general, nerfed into oblivion in SC2, making their lack of good AA just another issue why you can't play as mech heavy in SC2 as you could in BW.

In short, I feel that terran design in SC2 FORCES you to go starport, no matter what, while in BW it was more of a choice.
>>
File: Dragoon_SC1_Art2.jpg (34 KB, 585x281) Image search: [Google]
Dragoon_SC1_Art2.jpg
34 KB, 585x281
>>319721883
Still too much gold, and not enough camo colored metal.
>>
>>319720762
A giant isopod
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_isopod
>>
>>319722824
who_cares_not_terran.jpg
>>319720447
>implying that playing as zerg doesn't make you trash anyway, Terran master race
>>
File: laughing bitches.jpg (44 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing bitches.jpg
44 KB, 446x400
>>319724943
>playing babby's first race.
>>
>>319725647
I WILL CRUSH YOU BENEATH MY GIANT METAL BOOT
>>319724943
LIVE LONG, LIVE FREE, YOU GLORIOUS BASTARD
>>
Starcraft Field Manual is pretty good book.
Totally worth the money imo.
>>
>>319716749
What's with japs and those bugs?
>>
What is so bad about the Dominion?
>>
>>319727853
Muh freedums
Muh Sarah
>>
>>319727853
I hate how Mengsk became a cartoon villain in SC2.
His speech in this cinematic in SC1 was fucking amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bVj-nTkiU
>>
File: aldaris.gif (34 KB, 117x106) Image search: [Google]
aldaris.gif
34 KB, 117x106
>>319730093
I really hate how LotV barely even touched the caste system of the Protoss (outside of abolishing it out of the blue), not to mention the various different tribes within the Aiur society alone.
Hell, there was not a single fucking Judicator character in the game.
What the absolute fuck?
>>
>>319719193
Looks pretty cute actually
>>
File: 1301162355136.png (3 KB, 409x259) Image search: [Google]
1301162355136.png
3 KB, 409x259
>>319731550
The campaign mode, while better than HotS by miles, still feels like it missed loads of potential.
None of the various rooms in Spear of Adun has even half of the content that Hyperion's rooms had, and there is one less fucking room in Spear of Adun.

The most laughable one is the War "Council" which at best, has 2 characters you can interact with, and an interface for choosing your units.
Why couldn't Blizzard make it an actual fucking council, with representatives of various different protoss tribes that you could interact with or something. Or better yet, ad an actual mechanic there where you would oppose the movements of Amon and shit, via issuing commands to various fleets and so on, while the Spear of Adun focuses on the critical missions, so instead of Vorazun just occasionally saying shit about what her scouts are seeing, you could actually send those scouts about on the sector yourself or something. Maybe the unlocking of certain new units could also be tied to that system. Fuck, anything would be better than what we got.

The Unit selection could have been moved to a training dojo sorta thing, where you'd also be able to interact with those units, or at least read about their fluff and see high quality renders of them like you could see in Wings of Liberty. God damn, I'm getting angry just by thinking about all the potential Blizzard missed.
>>
File: RABADOOOO.jpg (110 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
RABADOOOO.jpg
110 KB, 600x637
>tfw even Bethesda has better writers than Blizzard nowadays
>>
>>319732821

Only because they kept most of the really cringeworthy shit in side quests instead of in the main quest
>>
File: Starcraft2-logo.jpg (74 KB, 1417x742) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft2-logo.jpg
74 KB, 1417x742
how do we fix the story?
>>
>>319732821
Blizzard at least has sharp dialogue, even if the story it's supporting is garbage. The WoD in-game cinematics were really good even if the expansion itself was shit.

Also the Arakoa.
>>
>>319733359
Fire Metzen and let someone who ain't high on crack everyday write it.
>>
>>319733359
Honestly, now that the story is complete, my biggest issues with it boil down to Kerrigan.
Overall, I don't have that big of an issue with the whole Amon, Hybrid and prophecy bullshit, but the way how Kerrigan is basically the single most important character in the story really fucking grinds my gears.
>>
>>319733594
Honestly this, like I kind of like how they covered their ass with the prophecy by making it more or less a fake made by the Xel'naga in order to get what they needed done. But having Kerrigan be the crux of EVERYTHING is just the fucking worst shit to have to sit through.
>>
File: 1447819738300.jpg (9 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
1447819738300.jpg
9 KB, 192x256
>>319733594
>KERRIGAN DINDU NUFFIN
>SHE A GOOD GIRL
>GETTING HER LIFE 2GETHER
>>
>>319733976
"I know I've killed a lot of people, but I don't care lol"

KERRI-UGU I STIRR ROVER A RUU
>>
>>319733359
More politics, less prophecy.
It works for every race: Terran has Dominion vs UED, Zerg has Kerrigan vs Zagara vs another swarm, Protoss practically limitless as it's shown that even the corded ones have issues with one another. Add dark templar's lost of their homeworld, and you have an allegory with Real Life's immigrant issues.

There, Starcraft III's plot saved already.
>>
File: 1300050652987.png (95 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1300050652987.png
95 KB, 500x500
>>319733945
Yeah.
Especially when Kerrigan in SC2 is simply unlikable. In BW she was an evil, manipulative cunt, but at least was open about it, and the story didn't try to paint her as a heroine. In SC2, she is still fucking evil, and does horrible shit to innocents and those who just happen to be on her way, but the story constantly portrays her as a Good girl, who dindu fucking nuthing.

I hated Kerrigan in BW, but I loved hating her, because she was an evil fuck, who did shit that warranted the hate.
In SC2, I am supposed to root for her, and see her as a hero. Fuck that shit. Fuck that god damn redemption bullcrap. You don't get to be redeemed after being literally worse than fucking Hitler, Mao, and Stalin combined. She killed countless terrans and protoss, and yet we are supposed to accept her as a heroine of the story?
>>
>>319733359
By pretending it never happened.
>>
File: dragoonmodeactivated.jpg (29 KB, 560x337) Image search: [Google]
dragoonmodeactivated.jpg
29 KB, 560x337
>walking around the house as a dragoon
>>
>>319734268
The prophecy wasn't too bad when it was just Zeratul running around with nobody taking him particularly seriously.

I think the point of no return though was the "you gotta save Kerrigan to save the universe" thing. True or not, it started taking up more and more of the story, and it gave a character that didn't deserve it a happy ending nobody wanted.
>>
>>319734650
I wish I still had the flexibility and strength in my body to do that.
I need to get back to shape pronto. Being a flabby fatty with no muscles sucks.
>>
>>319734692
The prophecy was also simply a surviving lone Xel'naga manipulating Zeratul to do what was needed to be done.
Still doesn't excuse the shit pulled with Kerrigan though.
>>
>>319734692
Mentzen wanted his self insert and his waifu to have a happy ending, everything else be dammed.
>>
File: n3rAQ.png (122 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
n3rAQ.png
122 KB, 650x365
>>319734650
>Nach nagalas
>>
File: 1324168058677s.jpg (2 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1324168058677s.jpg
2 KB, 126x126
>>319717752
Y... you know you CAN do that right? If you feel that strongly make a mod. There's literally thousands of them. Or are you just an "idea's guy" waiting for someone else to do something YOU could do? I'd like you to report on your progress or get the fuck off of my internet with your incessant whining and lack of action.
>>
>>319734692
I myself see that 'save Kerrigan, save universe' itself is interesting because she is THE queen bitch of the universe, like >>319734370 said. However, it's the execution that sucks because in-universe the people, or at least the main characters, doesn't share the players' opinion toward her, resulting in hell of a lot people (that is, the player) getting buttblasted for Tychus' death in WoL. It dragged on and on where in HoTS Kerrigan practically holds the dindunuffin' card to plot armor'd her.

Really tbqh, SC2's plot was OKAY at best, meh at worst. It's the writing.
>>
>>319734650
>>319735768
The Dragoons in SC2 sound surprisingly decent, seeing how most returning units from BW in SC2 sound like utter shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxga0WmfpoY

The original is still the best though.
>>
>>319736478
I'm lazy, and I don't really know where to even start with modding.
Maybe one day.
>>
>>319736485
Really, Raynor's crew should have thrown up a fucking mutiny after he saved Kerrigan.
How many of his men had lost their friends and loved ones to the Zerg due to Kerrigan's betrayals and attacks? How fucking many, shared Raynor's original sentiment regarding killing her? I bet way more than the ones who were ok with Raynor walking off to the sunset with his Zerg waifu on his hands at the end of WoL.
Not to mention that he drags his men into the fucking VOID (whatever that fucking place is anyways) at the epilogue, just because his waifu calls for aid.
Fucking hell.
>>
>>319735768
I HAVE RETURNED
>>
File: 1433191041277.jpg (10 KB, 199x200) Image search: [Google]
1433191041277.jpg
10 KB, 199x200
>>319736847
Why do i even join these threads, the whole storyline made me so fucking mad, it feels like a fanfic written by 14 year old. Even ME3's ending was less disappointing than this shit.
>>
File: Archon portrait.gif-c200.gif (198 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Archon portrait.gif-c200.gif
198 KB, 200x200
>>319737062
Like we all, you love the anger.
>>
>>319731550
I haven't played LotV, but I like that super edgy protoss guy because he's played by Q. Hope he gets added to Heroes
>>
File: Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg (48 KB, 433x440) Image search: [Google]
Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg
48 KB, 433x440
>>319737406
Oh, Alarak is definitely one of the best characters in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HElDA_hNuHQ
I just wish that there had been more protoss characters, like a Judicator one for example.

If he gets added to Heroes of the Storm, I might start playing that game, if only to hear his silky smooth voice again.
>>
>>319737573
>Literally just Darth vader

o
>>
>>319737573
God fucking damn it starcraft is so fucking stupid now, why the fuck is there magic and superheroes all the sudden.
>>
>>319737630
>Darth Vader played by John DeLancie
I hope JJ Abrams is taking notes desu
>>
>>319737630
>>319737720
>not liking Alarak.
Pathetic weaklings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGc2Ff6QuRM

Besides, the protoss always were "magic and superheroes". Do remember the shit Tassadar pulled at the end of Protoss campaign in SC1.
>>
>>319737838
Didn't he just crushed Ganthrithor into Overmind and whole space magic bullshit started with Metzen's work on Brood War?
>>
>>319738002
No, he channeled templar and void energies into the hull of his ship, and did vid related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YVD9OlSngg
>>
>>319732329
>Why couldn't Blizzard make it
People hated it
I shit you not, the masses disliked all the little hidden things and felt it slowed the story down.
They wanted it gone.
Of the people that played HotS they said they enjoyed that they at least cut the content fluff of the ship.
>>
>>319733359
you can't really.
best you can do is just ignore it happen
but with Starcraft Nova Missions up next Im curious to see how much more butchering we are going to see.
>>
File: 1380387543870.gif (538 KB, 245x320) Image search: [Google]
1380387543870.gif
538 KB, 245x320
>>319738291
What the absolute fucking fuck?
What sort of inbred retards do the playtesting at Blizzard?
Are the majority of Blizzard fans fucking mongoloids or something?
Why the fuck would you want LESS fluff stuff on the campaign mode?
And it's not like those things slowed the game down at all. You could plow trough the campaign without paying any notice to that shit.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills here.
>>
>>319738471
Im just sharing what happen.
Remember that the lions share of SC fans before WoL came out were very competitive pvp base
They likely had interest in the campaign but didn't want it to be heavy immersion so much as game play driven with a few talking heads/cut scenes in-between it all.
What happen was a perfect storm of failure:
the story attracted the average joes and what not
but was the final nail for the competitive players that kept SC servers alive for 10 years.
And the story got so garbage so fast most average joes pack up quick.

Also it didn't help that HotS was pretty much $40 add on at launch that needed WoL to play, meaning in total $100~$80 was needed to play the Zerg story and get those extra units
Oh and then there was the XP thing they added which they did not think out at all.
LotV did a lot to fix many issues but it was to little to late
Never mind they Launch LotV the same day as Fallout 4
>>
>>319737720
Complains about
>magic
>super heroes

Doesn't care about
>Warp Tech
>Planet buster weapons
>Psionic matrix
>Xelnaga literally existing before the universe was born
>Macro evolution taking place literally in a few minutes.
>Psionics in general

Nigger do you even know what you are saying? Because your shitty posts seem to indicate a tumor in your brain, if it's not that then you are literally the most retarded person to ever have existed.
>>
File: 1299461824933.jpg (338 KB, 579x3936) Image search: [Google]
1299461824933.jpg
338 KB, 579x3936
>>319738972
SC2 just has so much missed potential, that it just makes me furious.
>>
>>319738972
I remember when they said they were going to release SC2 in 3 parts I just said I'm simply not going to buy it

The fucked up on so many levels it's honestly amazing
>>
>>319738982
Jeez, calm your tits. The first SC was more low key about this, and he probably talked more about the fact that every fight between main characters looks like a retarded Dragonball-Z ripoff.
>>
>>319739580
How should the fight have looked like, seeing how it took place between two highly psychic aliens, one of whose race is notorious for the ability to merge with the shadows and teleport around?
>>
>>319738982
Pretty sure he's mad at it because the original Protoss were seen more as high tech warhammer like Greys.
Thematically they have advance mind powers and robots but there was always a sense that those powers had limits to the masses
LotV made the Protoss prequel Jedi where the mind powers seem less of a mighty force of nature and more of a popcorn action movie event.
>>
>>319739779
>ability to merge with the shadows and teleport around
She didn't even try to hide or ambush him.
She just made a flashy fight
Really now that you present that question this just gets dumber
She should have just bamf into the shadows and hit the security terminal
Not Darth Vader should have just showed up no fight and get arrested.
The stunt work was very unnecessary and made both look very stupid.
>>
>>319716490
They fucked up the music too. There are no magnificent tracks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrbN2y5r-vU#t=3m55s It's all noise.
>>
>>319740050
How do you ambush someone who just ambushed you?
Alarak caught Vorazun and the other crew on the bridge their pants down.
And if you look at the fight going, she did try to do a sort of bluff backstab on him by charging and then literally teleporting behind him, but Alarak wasn't fooled by it.
>>
>>319738291
>>319738471
might have something to do the fact the the majority people left who are still willing to trust and have hope in blizz are those that either trying to milk the game's esports scene, and newcomers who don't have experience with SCIBW.
>>
>>319740319
Did you watch the fight?
Not Vader teleports in
Attacks no one.
Zealot does a made dash straight at him
Not Vader does a slow ass force grab on him
Stealth girl does the most retarded leap high up in the air to teleport (giving away her damn position) to try and back stab(again not in the shadows or with any stealth.)
Stupid ass fight ends when she hits the security lock which was right fucking beside her when she was throwing the Zealot.

Again, like the SW prequels it was so unnecessarily flashy and pointless.
>>
File: alienatcomputer.jpg (105 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
alienatcomputer.jpg
105 KB, 400x400
>>319719193
Ultralisk is the perfect example of how they buttfucked the original designs. I'll never be happy with what they did to lurkers as well. Lurkers used to be the hardcore version of hydras, now they don't even look like they came from hydras.
>>
>>319741045
I did watch the fight.
Alarak was an enemy commander, who just suddenly appeared on the command deck of their fucking ship. The Zealot charging him is a natural reaction from a fucking zealot, and Vorazun's position was already given away, seeing how she was straight in front of Alarak.
The protoss themselves are also have always been pretty damn combat happy, so them going straight into "lets fight mode" when enemy pops up, makes total sense.
>>
File: 1446696734597.jpg (88 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1446696734597.jpg
88 KB, 768x768
>>319715139
>It will never be 2010-2011 again
The best years for SC2
>>
>>319741254
Not when you have a shield barrier that ends the fight in a fingers length away.
Also Dark Templar are not "lets fight mode" they are very much run, hide, use tactical advantages.

You can like it but you need to accept it's just flashy for flashy sake and makes about as much sense as an entire race throwing away their caste system and just budding up with mounds of heresy because their teenage leader says so.
>>
>>319741336
that's one year to many.
>>
>>319741582
It all went to shit with HoTS
>>
>>319741254
>The protoss themselves are also have always been pretty damn combat happy
>race is Military Junta
>hurr that means they love fighty fight and killing hur
If anything the Protoss would have damn more self control and that Zealot wouldn't have attack until ordered to.
>>
File: 1432966643655.png (87 KB, 1312x263) Image search: [Google]
1432966643655.png
87 KB, 1312x263
Starcraft had atmosphere, even if it didn't have immersion.

Starcraft 2 shat all over that atmosphere.

I will never forgive it for that.
>>
>>319741687
No
no it went to shit when they didn't balance play for shit in WoL
it went to shit when they had a piss poor networking system that couldn't compete with a 10 year old predecessor.
it went to shit when they made a single play story that shat all over the lore and series
HoTS didn't even sell enough to have any real impact on the series
WoL did all the killing of the brand
The other two were just the last nails.
>>
>>319741213
>Lurkers used to be the hardcore version of hydras, now they don't even look like they came from hydras.
This bothers me as well. The new design looks more like something out of the Warcraft universe. It looks really out of place even among the new Zerg designs.
>>
File: zealot render.jpg (104 KB, 629x768) Image search: [Google]
zealot render.jpg
104 KB, 629x768
>>319741506
It did take her few moments to activate the shield barrier, so at the beginning of the fight, when for all she knew, Alarak was there to kill everyone on board, she hardly had the time to activate the barrier. She only activated it after Alarak had virtually ended the fight already.

Also, by the point when Artanis abolishes the caste system, the system had by all intents and purposes already vanished for the survivors on Spear of Adun.
Judicators are all but extinct by LotV due to the shit that happened to them in SC1 and BW (trashed by the Excecutor, Raynor and Zeratul in order to free Tassadar, and further trashed when Aldaris pulled his rebellion), and the protoss on Spear of Adun have been reduced to so few survivors that they hardly have the luxury of having a restrictive caste system anymore.

>>319741784
Nigger, the protoss almost wiped themselves out during the Aeon of strife because they were filled with bloodlust and hatred. They have been a race of warriors since the get go. One of the Zealot quotes in SC1 was "I long for combat!" for fuck's sake. Honorable combat and fighting has been part of their culture from the very beginning.
>>
>>319741981
>HoTS didn't even sell enough to have any real impact on the series
No one wanted to blow $40+ dollars for a shitty campaign and 3 units.
it took them a year to fix it for stand alone play.
>>
>>319742015
>tfw muh unified Blizzard artstyle turned the zerg into silithids and nerubians
>>
File: StarCraft-Nova-header.jpg (22 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
StarCraft-Nova-header.jpg
22 KB, 620x320
What the actual fuck did they do to Nova's face?
>>
Since Amon is basically the warp what is there that really separates StarCraft and 40k anymore?
>>
>>319742015
The Zerg designs in SC2 are shit in general. None of them look good. Everything looks like some sort of dinosaur or a bug, and they got pointless spikes, tentacles and other visual junk all over themselves.
Just compare the old hydralisk with the new one.
>>
File: SC2 2013-03-14 19-54-50-794.jpg (113 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SC2 2013-03-14 19-54-50-794.jpg
113 KB, 1920x1080
>>319742623
Compared to her in HOTS
>>
>>319742718
The overall atmosphere of the universes I guess.
40k is full on despair, "shit's gonna get worse son" mode, whereas SC is more up beat and positive in general.
>>
File: NOVA-header.jpg (54 KB, 820x495) Image search: [Google]
NOVA-header.jpg
54 KB, 820x495
>>319742732
And in HotS
>>
>>319742795
The whole religion aspect too I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-6dKVNt1C4

I really like gregorian chants and shit like that just because of the way it sounds not out of any religious reasons.
>>
>>319742121
>It did take her few moments to activate the shield barrier, so at the beginning of the fight
And did you not see how slow as hell not Vader was with that Zealot? Hell go count the seconds on the fight she had ampule time to get that shield up.
>when for all she knew, Alarak was there to kill everyone on board
All the more reason to get that sheild up asp rather than do a flashy fight.
And once again you raise another big plot hole by trying to defended this. Where is the rest of the Damn crew? It's show it takes at least 4 Protoss to use navigation and nevermind the hundreds just there on the ship.
>he hardly had the time to activate the barrier.
3 seconds on a terminal right in front of her
He took 10+ to stop a Zealot. and again, you are going to want to end the fight as soon as possible not draw it out.
>Also, by the point when Artanis abolishes the caste system
Nope, play it again,that cutsense where he elevates that void forged guy he out right states that "from that moment forward" or some such the cast system would be abolished and everyone just went with it.
>Judicators are all but extinct by LotV
WoL it's stated there is still a Judicator console. LotV prologue stated they were still around.
We see none of them in it, even at the start when little Arni rallies forces for Auir.

>Nigger, the protoss almost wiped themselves out during the Aeon of strife because they were filled with bloodlust and hatred.
If you are using that source then you also know they push really hard to avoid that path ever again through mediation and dogmatic practices.
>One of the Zealot quotes in SC1 was "I long for combat!" for fuck's sake.
Yeah and he says it because he is waiting for orders.
But I don't think random click speak is a good argument and shows how much ground you have lost.
>>
>>319734268
>you have an allegory with Real Life's immigrant issues.
>politics
that's sounds fedoratastic
>>
File: hydralisk old vs new.jpg (209 KB, 2722x904) Image search: [Google]
hydralisk old vs new.jpg
209 KB, 2722x904
>>319742723
Funnily enough, SC field manual showcases how much better the old Hydra design was in comparison to the new one, by having both drawn in the same artstyle next to one another.
>>
>>319742983
Her slow reaction at that point could easily be due to the shock of having an enemy suddenly on board.
Also, regarding the whole shield barrier thing, it was clearly an improvised solution anyways that she only resorted to after being disarmed.
And it's not like the shield even worked, as Alark easily broke out of it.

And the caste system was in fact, all but abolished by the time that cinematic tooks place, seeing how by that point, Artanis, a templar, not a judicator, was basically the leader of the Protoss survivors.
In fact, one could easily argue that the caste system had not been really in use since BW, seeing how the Judicators hadn't been actually leading the protoss, or even just the Aiur protoss since Aiur was lost. The Templar have been leading the protoss since BW, which is clearly against the caste system. The Judicators themselves also clearly showed their incompetence in SC1 and BW already, so Artanis abolishing the caste system in LotV is just a final nail to the coffin of the old protoss society that was clearly had already failed by SC1.

>If you are using that source then you also know they push really hard to avoid that path ever again through mediation and dogmatic practices.
Yes, and? That is hardly relevant to the point in question, which was that the protoss have always had a warrior culture.
>>
>>319734268
But the Dark Templar always considered Aiur to be their home, so with them being unified with the Aiur protoss, there is really no issue with them settling on Aiur.
>>
>>319742623
>>319742732
>>319742801
Blizzard characters have inconsistent looks, news at eleven.
>>
>>319731550
>, there was not a single fucking Judicator character in the game
Well, their caste leadership failed throughout starcraft one, and the protoss society transformed into a military meritocratic dictatorship, so why would you see judicators since they are not the governmetn anymore, but simply the administrators.
>>
>>319748202
It would have been cool to have them at least be present in the game. I mean, you have a fucking Khalai engineer (who for some reason is short and has a "beard"), why not a Judicator character too?
>>
File: True Colors.png (404 KB, 668x468) Image search: [Google]
True Colors.png
404 KB, 668x468
WHAT
DID HE MEAN
BY THIS
>>
>>319748604
It means he wanted to kill the zerg corrupted Kerrigan for the greater good. It was only in SC2 that he realized that the xel'naga artifact could cure her.
>>
>>319748386
I guess, but I'm not sure what one would have added, other than to remind people that judicators were a thing. They already had the archiver bitch to offer the ye olde protosse viewpoint on Artanis' doings and Alarak commenting on his leadership.
>>
>>319748718

No, he only was stopped from killing her due to Zeratul whining about "muh prophecy" and "TIDINGS OF DOOM"
>>
>>319748886
Nope, that would be Narud who said that the artifact could deinfest Kerrigan.
>>
>>319748886
He did see through the crystal what would happen if Kerrigan died. Besides, why would he kill her when he saw for himself that the artifact did indeed do exactly what they said it would? In HotS he didn't pull the trigger because he simply wasn't man enough.
>>
>>319749076
So Narud was the reason Amon was defeated? His right hand betrayed him?

What the fuck kind of writing is this?
>>
>>319749301
Nah, Narud only helped deinfest kerrigan because in order to use her psionic energy to help revive Amon.

It's perfectly logical, Narud gets
- Revived Amon
- Weaker Kerrigan
>>
>>319749447
And a leaderless swarm for the hybrid to take over. He didn't foresee Kerrigan retaking the swarm for herself, so he probably figured deinfesting would do the same thing as killing her in terms of that.
>>
>>319743886
Honestly, it feels like I'm looking at Gen I-II pokemon vs Gen V
>>
Starcraft was the first video game I ever got into, and I never played the multiplayer. Needless to say, I was very disappointed with the story. The worst part about it for me is how close a lot of it was to being really great.

I think the biggest factor as far as gameplay (not even gonna touch on the new artstyle or the writing) is that they could have added a touch of 4X/Grand Strategy which would have fit perfectly with the epic war theme of the story. Instead each of the flagships feels like a glorified menu screen with barely any content. And WoL had the most fleshed out flagship! How fucked is that?
>>
>>319750178
>And WoL had the most fleshed out flagship! How fucked is that?
I know. They probably redistributed the development resources after the release of WoL, having more people focus on stuff other than the story content. Basing this on the fact that WoL was in development for about 3 years, HotS about 2 and LotV 3, so it's not like they had more time to devote on the WoL campaign content.
>>
>>319750178
Meant the story in the second was very disappointing, fuck.
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.