[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are jump-scares good or bad for horror games? What are the scariest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 628.png (972 KB, 960x1008) Image search: [Google]
628.png
972 KB, 960x1008
Are jump-scares good or bad for horror games? What are the scariest games out right now?
>>
I hate them.
>>
I like when I walking into the jump scare. Like I turn around and someones staring at me.
>>
>>319692481
Depends of how they are used. Jump-scare as a type of game over is fine, for example. This means that, even though they are very predictable, you can avoid them as part of the normal gameplay progression. Small "Surprise" moments to keep you alert are ok too, depending on how they are used. Horror games should be about the suspense/tension, not just the "boo it is spooky time".
"Ghost Train" type of jump-scares are shit, because they are just a lazy way to say "this is spooky game, get scared pls".

>What are the scariest games out right now?
That one old ass MMO that looked like a fan-made version of LSD Dream Simulator. I keep forgetting the damn name.
>>
Spooky thread? Spooky thread.
>>
>jump scares
>scary

Outlast was one of those games that failed to establish as a scary and brooding atmosphere and instead opted to throw jump scares at the player every 20 minutes. While I'm sure it's a great way to generate youtube reaction videos, it completely ruins the game and ultimately makes you immune to them since you're expecting things to jump out at you at specific intervals.
>>
>>319695270
/jp/ thread?
>>
Almost every horror game has at least a few "jump scares". It's an effective way to trigger built-up tension, especially if the initially jump is followed by a small sustained period of exposure to the scary thing in a dangerous encounter.
>>
>>319696225
Whatever you want, buddy.
>>
>>319695015
worlds.com

Seriously, that fucking "game" is so surreal and unnerving

Any kind of playthrough or letsplay is different and they get equally unnerved
>>
>>319692481
I actually like jumpscares when not overdone. It raises the tension.
>>
File: 45817272_p0.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2072) Image search: [Google]
45817272_p0.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2072
>>319696537
I want an abyssal thread.

They are quite spooky.
>>
>>319698094
Yeah alright see ya later nerd, I'm out.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.