[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 18
File: Edge-226-Dark-Souls.jpg (160 KB, 849x473) Image search: [Google]
Edge-226-Dark-Souls.jpg
160 KB, 849x473
Just picked this up because everyone seems to love it. Any suggestions before I dive in?
>>
Kill the dogs first.
Don't level resistance.
>>
>>319565140
Play something else.
The Souls games are terrible.
>>
Don't open it
>>
You are the medic.
>>
"Don't level resistance" is a huge meme. The stat has its uses so make sure to throw a few points into it here and there to round out your build.

Stay in human form as much as possible.

If you find some skeletons early on that you have a tough time beating, make sure to persevere and fight through them.

Never run away from enemies that look like weird lizards with giant eyes. They're rare spawns that can drop some great items.

That's about all I can think of right now. Good luck OP, you're in for an awesome experience if you let yourself get into it.
>>
Pay attention to what you are doing and don't just rush in.
>>
>>319566109
this is good stuff

only thing I'd add is to make sure you prioritize upgrading your armor over upgrading your weapons. perseverence can get you through having some lower dps, but the less damage you can take yourself, the better.
>>
>>319565140
Don't level resistance.
Pick pyro or bandit for an easy start.
Always take master key unless you start as theif.
Avoid the graveyard in starting area, but do jump down the upper elevator shaft for items (not the downstairs one).
Save your bombs and resin for when you really need them, they do loads of damage in the beginning.
Wait till you get 2+ humanity, then restore your humanity and you'll be able to kindle bonfires with each additional one, increasing estus carry to 10, and later in the game up to 20.
Save fire keeper souls, you can trade them with the mute woman under fire link to increase healing power of estus.
>>
Have patience and look before you leap
>>
>>319565140
Level STR
Kill the dogs
Grab the halberd on the bridge
Master Key
>>
>>319567559
DONT take the Master Key on your first playthrough, it lets you sequence break and the only people who do that are speedrunners or faggots.
>>
Something that never seems to get mentioned but made me sail through the game when it had sunk in: backstab everything that can be backstabbed. Also lure enemies away one at a time. This way it's pretty much impossible to take damage, and you can even take on the dark knights and Havel the Rock early.
>>
>>319565312
>Kill the dogs first.
ignore this stupid fucking meme. he's nowhere near the hardest boss and you'll need no assistance in beating him.
>>
Make sure you use humanity as soon as you pick it up.

Make sure to free Lautrec, he has a big effect on the ending.
>>
File: 1415770524728.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1415770524728.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Take time to explore. Don't be afraid to experiment with different items but try to focus on a single playstyle (if you're thinking mage, focus Int. If you're thinking Cleric, focus Faith etc. Don't spread your points too thin). Persevere despite hardship. No Master Key on your first playthrough, you may end up skipping parts of the game that are vital to a first playthrough to get the full "Welcome to Dark Souls" experience. Don't worry about being human too much, it's much better in the long run to figure out how to fight on your own rather than with summons.

Play Demon's Souls afterwards if you haven't already.
>>
>>319567806
>using the Master Key to skip UndeadBurg, the worst area in the game
It's a godsend really
>>
get astoras straigth sword from the valley of drakes 10str 10dex and 14 faith
>>
>>319568301
Wait, what? You could skip that part with the master key?
I completely walked passed it and played it like normal. Whoops.
>>
Don't worry too much about losing souls when you die - there will always be more and really, getting demoralised is the thing you most want to avoid.

Like most of the bosses in Dark Souls the game may seem big and intimidating, but if you compose yourself and face each challenge without too much fear.

Also, leveling to overcome an obstacle is much less important than just figuring out a solution.
>>
>>319566109
Different anon who just started not too long ago. What's the difference between staying a corpse and staying human?
>>
>>319568496
yeah, if you head down to New Londo and there's a stair case that leads to a locked door near the entrance to New Londo, you have to get passed 4 of those big troll guys though
>>
>>319565140
1. Run to the Undead Burg and kill the Black Knight
2. Did he drop a Black Knight Sword
3. If not, restart your character and try again
>>
>>319568496
Yes, go down to new londo and walk around to the other tower in the immediate area, unlock the metal door and you'll be in the valley. Go across the wooden planks and through the long corridor with the fat fucks, at the end will be a bunch of ladders and an elevator that drop you off right between the bonfire and Quelaag
>>
>>319568201
Why does my game look nothing like this? Mod?
>>
My main advice is to install DSFix and mostly level the stat that affects your weapon dmg.

My other advice is learn to parry and abuse the iframes cause it's how you win the game.
>>
>>319565140

Enjoy getting buttraped by The Legend.
>>
>LE EPIC MAYMAYS XD

In this thread...

-Don't level resistance. This is not a meme, that stat is completely and utterly useless, you would need to dump hundreds of levels in it before it even gained any relevance
- Don't listen to faggots who tell you to pick a certain class or weapon. Play the character you want to play
- Don't get tunnel vision with stat numbers on gear, particularly weapons. For weapons focus on Moveset, Range, Speed, Stamina Consuption, Stagger, Scaling and only then Attack Power
>The HP ring, Pendant, Godess Blessing and Twin Humanities are pointless gifts. Black Firebombs are also pretty pointless but they do kind of have one use early on.
>When you find yourself in a place called Undead Burg, you will be able a door in a tower that with some spiraling stairs going down. I would try and beat the enemy at the end of these stairs as soon as possible as it gives what is probably one of the most useful items in the game for most builds.
>Bows are a ranged support weapon at best, they are NOT fun enough to build a character around. DOn't do this.

Personal opinion:

Magic is boring as fuck. Use it as support to melee if at all.
>>
>>319568728
You can get invaded and get an increased drop rate. I think you also get extra resists but my memory is fuzzy on this, it's probably curse resist.
And of course most importantly is that you can kindle bonfires for extra estus.
>>
>>319568301

>Not meeting Solaire or getting the White Sign Soapstone

Someone doesn't play with friends :^)
>>
>>319568843
Don't do what this faggot says. It's the most overpowered weapon in the whole series and WILL break and suck all the fun out of your game.
>>
there are two illusory walls inside the Blighttown Tree

you probably don't want to go down there, though
>>
>>319568862
It looks like a prerendered bullshot to me
>>
>>319566109
I've done enough research into the stats to know you're a faggot without even playing the game.
>>
Don't bother, the game is bugged, they probably didn't even code an ending in because theres this one bit where it's literally impossible to get past these 2 archers on a thing bridge. Doesn't matter what shield you use they knock you off to your death every time.
>>
>>319568950
Well this is what happens when i post while being completely distracted.
>>
>>319569040
You don't need to be human to get the resistance and item drops you just need the soft humanity. Being human let's you summon and be invaded and that's it I think.
>>
>>319569215
Probably Dsfix + mods

>>319569149
Lots of goodies though. And also the most game-breaking covenant.
>>
>>319569054
You do know you'd still have to ring the upper bell if you did the one in UndeadBerg first right? You'd still meet Solaire because he's on the bridge near it
>>
Be aggressive unless you can get away with defensive cheesing.
>>
>>319569040
>>319569371
I was wondering what was the point of being human aside from kindling bonfires. Thanks.
>>
>>319566109
This is weak (obvi) but what are you even referring to about the lizards?
>>
File: 1423529199415.jpg (691 KB, 567x4179) Image search: [Google]
1423529199415.jpg
691 KB, 567x4179
does anyone have part 6 of whatever this thing is?
>>
>>319566109
>didnt advise him to farm the Darkroot Forest kitties
Cas detected
>>
>>319569523
Being Human also gives you the satisfaction of killing a boss without wasting humanity
>>
>>319568843
This happens my first playthrough. The game was still difficult, but you're right. The game wasn't as fun because this dropped.
>>
>>319569651
I don't think there is one.
>>
File: 1441983101439.png (293 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1441983101439.png
293 KB, 633x758
>>319569590
>you got cursed
>>
>>319569475

>you can go through Havels tower and up through the Darkroot Garden to get to the Parish
>not realizing the gate to the Sunlight Altar is closed unless you kill the Taurus Demon
>Only way to get to Solaire is to kill the Taurus Demon.

Literally no point in having a master key on the first playthrough, unless you're a candy-ass bitch who is using a guide.
I can't figure out what you're implying here.
>>
>tfw souls series has turned to the cod/ass creed dark side
>new game every year
>next entry will be sci-fi robot adventures
I am okay with this.
>>
>>319569741
Oh silly me
>>
>>319568813
>>319568856
>used master key on first playthrough
>walked through the entirety of blight town in the wrong direction
>post on /dsg/ asking why the door can't be opened from this side
>get laughed at

A little piece of my soul died that day.
>>
>>319569590
The Basilisks spew a gas that will curse you, obviously.
>>
>>319569793
>tfw patiently awaiting a From title set entirely in tribal South America/Pacific Islands
>tfw my favorite setting is usually ruined by dudebro AAA titles
>>
>>319569787
I can't figure out what either of you are trying to say, so I'll go right to the root of it: the original post from like forever ago was saying you could skip the LOWER Undead Burg by using the key to skip straight to Queelag, I.e. play the game normally up until the first bell.
>>
How do I fight the overwhelming loneliness I feel in this game, I wish Solaire was with me everywhere
>>
>>319569590
The curse frogs
>>
>>319570270
>Summoning

You can't fight faggotry, anon.
>>
>>319569741
>>319570101
>>319570387

I honestly have never gotten cursed even once in this game, is it really that big of a problem?
>>
>>319569523
Oh, I almost forgot - at specific points in the game you'll be invaded by NPC black phantoms but ONLY if you're human, so it does pay to explore as a human as you might miss these fights and their related prizes.
>>
File: Dark souls.jpg (305 KB, 746x746) Image search: [Google]
Dark souls.jpg
305 KB, 746x746
>>
>>319570527
You have half your usual hp until you buy the item that gets rid of it.
>>
File: 1419702566342.jpg (500 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1419702566342.jpg
500 KB, 1920x1080
>>319565140
-Don't level resistance.
-Upgrade your weapon.
-Pick a weapon based on it's moveset, not stats.
-Don't be afraid to just run past enemies.
-If an area is raping your butt hole too much, you're probably not supposed to be there yet.
-Strong, isolated enemies usually have good items around.
IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO TALK TO EVERY NPC AT LEAST 3 TIMES
Don't open it

Go get em champ.
>>
I finished a playthrough a few days ago, tried to play as Guts but couldn't find decent leg armor.
The build is kinda fucked since I put loads of points into END to be able to fast roll, then got 20 in INT and FTH for Abyss Greatsword, so I had around 14 VIT at the end of the game.
>>
>>319565140
I don't want to say it.
>>
Replace OPs pic with Demon's Souls.

Any suggestions before I dive in?
>>
>>319571713
If you played a previous Souls game before there's nothing to say, if i remember right.

If not then all the same basic advice on how to approach the game still holds. Don't be a chickenshit, weapons are more the just stat numbers, be patient and observant, etc.
>>
>>319571713
Mainly just watch out for the absolutely fucked weapon upgrade paths. I would recommend looking for a chart.
>>
>>319570527
used to be way worse before the first patch
>>
Just starting SotFS, I know nothing about this game unlike my first run in DaS where I had watched friends complete hard things before I had the chance to understand what I was seeing.

Going in blind, any advice?
>>
>>319569296
underrated post
>>
>>319565140
don't die
>>
File: laughinglions.png (213 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
laughinglions.png
213 KB, 393x391
>>319569296
>>
File: steam.png (46 KB, 164x156) Image search: [Google]
steam.png
46 KB, 164x156
>>319573179
>>319572917
>samefagging
>>
>>319572837
I started it blind a few days ago, I recommend not starting as Deprived class cause you won't get a decent weapon for a while and all you'll be able to use without leveling up is a dagger.
Humanities are now Human Effigies, you use them through the inventory, don't burn them at the bonfire, that just makes you unavailable for online play. Unlike humanities, they're useful as they restore your max health which goes down to 50% while hollow.
>>
>>319572837
It's a more frustrating Dark Souls, expect cheap deaths.
>>
File: retardfrogposter.jpg (19 KB, 366x164) Image search: [Google]
retardfrogposter.jpg
19 KB, 366x164
>>319573381
>
>>
>>319565140
Don't use a wiki or guide for your first playthrough. Don't level the Resistance stat, its useless.
>>
>>319572837
Also ADP and to a lower extent ATT extend your i-frames when rolling
>>
>>319572837
You're priority is to get Agility to 90, your goal is to get it to at least 96, 100 would be excellent, you should not try to get it higher then 105. Adaptability is the main stat that governs agility but Attunement also increases it, so if you are planning to use lots of magic you won't need as much Adaptability. You can resepec anyway.

Equipment weight threshold for movement is now 70%, lower encumbrance does affect other things like roll distance and stamina regen however.

Other then that, all the other Souls advice applies.
>>
>>319565140
Don't fuck with the dragon's sword.
>>
>>319572837
Almost forgot, ignore people who are shit at Souls and circle strafed backstabbed or magic spammed their way through the previous games:

>>319573561
>>
>>319573542
Does mean going human has the opposite effect in this than in DaS?

>>319573709
>>319573780
Sounds like I'm going DEX again. How quickly can I obtain a katana?
>>
>>319565140
>Any suggestions before I dive in?
Jerk off for an hour then cum in your mouth.
>>
>>319573982
If you are willing to kill the undead merchant, he drops an Uchigatana.
>>
>>319573982
You can do online at all times, human or hollow, but you can become unavailable for it by burning human effigies if you're a faggot.
I bought an Uchigatana at the second blacksmith I found, maybe about 6-7 hours in? Not too sure. You can probably get to him faster, I took my time exploring. He's in the Lost Bastille, you get there by going through the area with the river and human sized enemies, don't remembe the name
>>
>>319574285
Just like last game, neat

>>319574359
This worries me. Are there spawn campers and shit? I had only turned on the game a few minutes to tweak the video settings to max.
>>
>>319573982
Agility is mandatory for all builds, doesn't matter if you are trying to cosplay as a Kunoichi or a T-80 battletank.

You can go DEX if you want but don't think that you need to just because of my post. DKS2 made literally every playstyle and weapon type viable. bows are better but still boring as fuck

It's a little far into the game on the original release version but in Softs i think one can be acquired fairly early, Like 2 areas past the HUB i think.
>>
>>319574530
I haven't been invaded much, it mostly happened in places that have covenants related to the area, like the cat covenant in the forest in DS1
>>
>>319574530
There is no Katana from an undead merchant, you buy the one that's available at the earliest stage.
>>
>>319574686
Is it like Guts levels of strength and speed or is it just more armor with a light roll?
>>
>>319574530
Speaking of burning effigies:

Defeating a boss will automatically give you the burned human effigy effect, which disables all active multilayer interactions. This was done so you can't get buttfucked by invasions on your way to a bonfire with all your souls from the boss. It lasts 30 minutes or until you turn it off in the bonfire menu.
>>
I found the Elite Knight set and decided to never take it off.
Have I reached the end game?
>>
>>319574712
I do remember a fun random invasion though
>in an area that's a bit like undead burg
>go down a ladder, there's a few dogs and a phantom with a halberd or something
>slash at him a bit and scramble up the ladder
>emote for him to come up
>wait a couple minutes, nothing happens
>try tossing firebombs, shooting him with a crossbow but nothing works
>throw an alluring skull 6 metres away from the ladder
>slide down, beat him up quickly before the dogs come
>kill the dogs
What a faggot that phantom was but finally winning felt good because of it
>>
>>319574359
Well if it's SotFS he can reach the second blacksmith after 2 bosses, the ember is right after you-know-who.
>>
>>319575049
I'm not sure what your asking but if it's about agility then it doesn't actually make you faster. Agility gives your evasive actions more invincibility frames and let's you use items faster (Estus, gems, etc). Weapon, movement, and casting speeds are not affected.
>>
I just started and i've been stuck on undead burg for two hours. I beat the boss but cant get to the next bonfire. Im thinking of just starting a new character.
>>
>>319575505
In which game?

It's a really awesome looking set. In DKS1 it's THE Knight archetype set.
>>
1. get DSFix
2. don't go to the graveyard first
3. don't level resistance
4. weapon upgrades are better than levels
5. explore
6. read item descriptions
>>
>>319575514
...that was an NPC...
>>
>>319576131
DaS1
It's just so nice looking that I don't want to abandon it.
Is the Astora straight sword as bad as people say?
>>
>>319570091
>>walked through the entirety of blight town in the wrong direction
Going through Blighttown from bottom to top was a cool thing to do.
Obviously not a great thing for the first playthrough, but in NG+ or on a second character.
>>
http://pastebin.com/bkeaFBbv

Recommended dark souls mods.
>>
What SL do people normally finish the game on? I think I was 90 when I fought Gwyn.
>>
>>319576278
It's not called ASS for nothing!
>>
File: 1404657602329.jpg (21 KB, 450x386) Image search: [Google]
1404657602329.jpg
21 KB, 450x386
>>319576267
God damnit
>>
>Trying to make progress through Darkroot Garden because EXPLORATION
>Get my dick ripped off by motherfucking Inviso-Bill
>Somehow manage to navigate the area later without getting my dick ripped off
>Discover a smallish big cat
>Join covenant
>Can now walk through the area without getting reamed by those treehugging fags

That said, I think that I wandered back through that area needlessly. I suppose that my next move should be to ride that elevator in the Darkroot Basin, right?
>>
>>319572837
>Just starting SotFS
You're lucky.
Scholar's enemy placement and other seemingly minor changes make the game a lot more enjoyable.
Scholar is how DaS 2 should have been from the beginning.

Also, you might wanna wait with the DLC areas until you're near the end of the game.
>>
>>319565140
Don't level resistence

Don't look anything up.

Get frustrated, but don't give up
>>
>>319567930
>Also lure enemies away one at a time. This way it's pretty much impossible to take damage
This is why I don't like the game. Almost every person I know who's gotten through the game has told me they used a guide. How can any game be considered fun or good if it basically requires a good and/or cheesing in order to beat?
>>
Hey just figuring to ask this thread but I'm playing a theif build for the first time and wondering how to go about doing this?
>>
>>319576417
First playthrough was 50, every playthrough afterwards at the base level.

I wish people could summon me, but levelling up makes the game way too easy.
>>
File: dendi.jpg (36 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
dendi.jpg
36 KB, 700x600
>tfw played both Dark Souls and Monster Hunter and don't really like either of them
What's wrong with me, /v/?
>>
>>319569651
>Part 5

?
>>
>>319576669
They're not your bag, man.
>>
>>319569296
This. How the fuck do I got past?
>>
>>319576278
It's not THAT bad, most of that probably comes from PVP where if something has the same moveset but does less damage then it's useless. But for the game it's okayish, personally i would use a different straight sword. The main thing it has going for it is that it is a Divine weapon by default, and Divine weapons have a specific use in the game.

People expected it to be a lot better for what it is, rightfully so in my opinion.
>>
Leveling up is stupid and makes you a casual
>>
File: 1449694346979[1].jpg (852 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449694346979[1].jpg
852 KB, 1920x1200
>black bow of pharis
>Hawk ring
>feather bows
>fog ring
>>
>>319576745
There must be something wrong with me. Or maybe I'm playing them wrong.
>>
>>319576552
Well you can always ~46 endurance for +10 giants set and some big weapon, aka Giant Dad, then you don't have to worry about getting hit. You literally cannot take damage like this in NG and makes NG+ a cakewalk. But be prepared to get called mean things online.
>>
>>319575871
What boss?

You are not far into the game, if you feel like restarting then it's no big deal.
>>
>>319576417
I think I was 82 in my last playthrough
>>
>>319571287
>-Pick a weapon based on it's moveset, not stats.

range, rate of attack, and extra stats are useful too.

Like the Bandit's knife looks like a bad weapon at first. But it attacks fast, and uses little stamina per attack, meaning you can get more attacks in with a full bar. And it has bleeding and high crit. So you will one shot enemies with back stabs or riposts, and do bloodloss damage to many bosses.
>>
wtf is poise?
>>
>>319565140
Don't do magic. Don't bother using low damage weapons (except in the beginning) unless you want to hit something 25 times to kill it. Good damage weapons do at least 100 unupgraded, like the claymore, halberds, etc.
>>
>>319576417
Yeah, 90 to 100 with the DLC.
>>
I wish I could forget everything about Dark Souls and play through blind again.
>>
>>319568201
>Take time to explore.
Fucking this. The only reason I got into this game is because my brother wouldn't shut up about it and annoyed me into getting a coy to co-op. Then he rolled me through a third of the game while rolling his third character and wouldn't stop snickering when I said I didn't remember how to get to a certain area or tried to take the time to memorize attack patterns.
>>
>>319574934
There is, but you have to kill him to get it
>>
DSfix
>>
>>319577118
True, but telling a newbie to roll with the dick stabber knife is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>319576754
Just run across and block the right one's shots with a large shield. Remember that you always slide backwards no matter what direction you were hit from, so keep your back to the wall, don't face towards it or you'll slide off.
>>
>>319576476
Not all the changes were for the better
>>
>>319577164
And stay hollow at all times unless you want to be ganked by people who've played the game for 100+ hours.
>>
>>319576669

I didn't like Demon Souls at first as it felt like a chore. But I kept getting better at it so it got fun.
>>
>>319577129
A stat that determines how much you can endure without getting staggered. You know how when you hit people with a big ass weapon they'll get stunned for a bit so you can keep hitting them?
>>
>>319577373
don't think many people even play the game anymore
i started a new game a few days ago and i havent been invaded at all
>>
Anyone else use the Fire Longsword in Dark Souls 2 until practically the end of the game?

In which case you still kept it close as a solid backup, just because of how familiar you are with the moveset?
>>
>>319577301

For a newbie, I'd recommend going Warrior and using Long sword for most of the game. Simple, boring, works.
>>
use the demon greataxe
it is the most fun weapon
>>
>>319577129
Hit stun reduction. The more poise you have the stronger the hits you can take before your character's animations get interrupted by enemy attacks.
This is not always a good thing because hit stun also grants you invincibility frames and certain attacks will damage you more than if you had simply got knocked down after the first impact.
>>
Hey guys I read a guide on GameFAQs about a polearm thief guide. Has anyone tried it?
>>
This might be a stupid question (I recently started playing) but; couldn't you farm souls using online play with a friend?
Cause the player that wins in pvp invasion gets the losers souls right? Without the loser losing theirs (they can just go back and retrieve them). You could take turns killing each other?
The negative to this is that the dying player loses one humanity each (need to spend one to reverse hollowing in order to invade/be invaded).
Am I missing something that makes this not work?
>>
I played BloodBorne and loved it because of the pace and gameplay being somewhat faster then the Souls game i played. I played DaS2 and all of the DLCs and did most of the side content.

Question if i don't like the core gameplay of DaS2 will i like DaS gameplay? Also is the mace god tier in DaS?
>>
>>319577247
That's DKS1 nigga
>>
>>319576661
I also hated how I had to level up if I wanted to be summoned.
>>
>>319576754
Google how to get a Fog Ring from Snuggly the Crow and you can go Solid Snake on their asses. Or, ya know, git gud.
>>
How long until Dark Souls II is as cheap as Dark Sould regularly is (€4.99)?
>>
>>319578003

A few years.

It'll probably be 10 dollars or so in a Christmas sale.
>>
File: me irl - Imgur.jpg (57 KB, 932x574) Image search: [Google]
me irl - Imgur.jpg
57 KB, 932x574
>>319577303
>>319577823
Thanks for the advice families.
What does it mean to git gud anyway?
>>
>>319577373
I bought the game at the previous steam sale and I've been invaded like 3 times, there really aren't many people playing anymore.
They were nice too, dropped lots of humanity and titanite on the ground for me.
>>
>>319577506
Meme weapon for people who don't understand how scaling and weapons work in Souls games.

BUT

The Longsword IS a fucking great weapon in all 3 souls games. I always have it a least in my inventory when i play the Knight archetype (always)
>>
>>319576754

I used Poison Arrows on them. It's cheap but fuck them.
>>
>>319566109
This is bait, OP.
RES is useless and other stats will give you enough resistance as a side effect, as will armour.
Human form will lead to you getting invaded by other players and killed. It can be fun, but on your first play through I'd make sure you only go human when you need to, such as for summoning help from the signs on the ground, or kindling bonfires for more healing estus flask charges.
Don't fight the skeletons early on - you're meant to return to the graveyard later.
The giant eyed lizards release a mist that kills you instantly if you spend too long in it, and causes you to revive with 50% max HP.
>>
>>319570527
you get to kill ghosts
>>
>>319577509
People who "recommend" playstyles to beat this game like it's actually that hard and it's something that's needed are fucking cancer.
>>
>>319577770
I never did this but I think it would work. You'd also need to get the red soapstone from the Painted World to be able to constantly summon each other.
By the way, you can get infinite humanities by abusing a glitch, put a fire keeper soul on your quickslot, roll, quickly press square/X/use button and open your inventory and use the darksign. If you did it correctly you should get a message asking if you want to use your Fire Keeper soul, press yes, and now you have free 5 humanity.
>>
>>319576638
Someone smarter than me please help
>>
>>319578384
sword and board should be how everyone starts their first play through, unless they're doing magic.
>>
>>319576638
I don't know, there's not a stealth mechanic, or stealing mechanic. So, seems pretty shitty to me, desu.

Maybe try a dagger off-hand with a scimitar main, or something?
>>
whats some good light attire to use with the moonlight sword?
i was thinking i'd go brigand set with big hat, but i feel like it needs more flair
>>
>>319577786
No. Each Souls game gameplay was an improvement over the previous one, so if you don't like the gameplay of DKS2 you will probably like the gameplay of the previous titles even less.

The mace is not as good in DKS1 as it is in DKS2. Why did you read guides before playing DKS2?
>>
>>319578856
it's not necessarily true that he read a guide in order to decide the mace was god tier. he might've just picked cleric as his starting class in das2 and used it the whole time. it is a pretty great weapon in das2, so it's not that unlikely to come to the conclusion it's god tier.
>>
>>319578687
>there's not a stealth mechanic
There actually is.
>>
>>319577770
Works just fine as long as you can find each other with the shitty matchmaking service.
The big thing here is that you'd alienate yourself from everyone else, so you couldn't find boss help if you need it. Also, your soul level is largely irrelevant.

For example, a hit with your +15 Zweihander at 20 str/dex has 511 AR, with 50/50 it has 633, and at 99/99 it has 660.
150 extra damage from minimal stats to max stats.
Wooooo. And that's one of the largest variable weapons in the game.

After you get the minimum stats to use the weapon you want, you're more benefited by jumping into Stamina/HP or magic to flesh out your capabilities, rather than just trying to bolster your damage output.
>>
>>319578581
>Don't role play in an RPG
>>
>>319570770

>tfw took a trip to the bone zone after ringing the belltower
>without a blessed weapon

Took me like 15 hours of basically muscle memory to get to Pinwheel. Then I realized I was probably in the wrong place.

Of course, then I made the worst noob mistake of all. I looked up a guide and ruined the game for myself. Probably the worst vidya-related decision I ever made.
>>
This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I recommend using more than one weapon in a playthrough. Take something fast for cutting down mooks and something heavy so you can stun heavy enemies while wielding two-handed.
>>
>>319578132
It's just a dumb meme. Since every action taken in Souls games is repeatable, that is, everything always plays out the exact same way every time, you alone are soley responsible for your mistakes, and thus must "get good". If you die more than once doing the same thing, chances are you're doing something wrong altogether and need to adjust your tactics.
>>
>>319579028
I know but 8/10 times this is the result of "OMG USE THE MACE FROM START TO FINISH BEST WEAPON XD" shitters.

I really fucking hate that, but then again if people follow their advice blindly then i guess they just don't have the drive to explore and experiment.
>>
>>319579114

Do what you want, but non-board builds are a lot more challenging for newbies. Don't let dying over and over stop you from playing a rogue.
>>
>>319565140
Fill a pool full of liquor.
>>
>>319580209
>OP fills a pool with 6 inches of acid
>>
>>319577319
I don't remember anything that stuck out as a sore thumb, but I felt several times "this seems so much more logical".
>>
>>319565140
do not under any circumstances look up stuff about the game on the internet until you have beaten it 3 times. you will discover loads of new stuff on every consecutive playthrough and just reading about it will rob you of that experience.

you can make exceptions about certain mechanics which aren't explained in the game (they are explained in the manual, but nobody reads those anymore), like how to upgrade weapons and stuff
>>
File: 1449217915248.jpg (370 KB, 1449x2042) Image search: [Google]
1449217915248.jpg
370 KB, 1449x2042
Capra Demon or Gargoyles first?

I already have a +5 halberd.
>>
>>319566109
this is all troll btw
>>
>>319565312
Would be accurate if not for the patch, that put them behind the boss.
>>
>>319580690

Capra is easy once you kill the dogs and get the pattern right.

Gargoyles always give me trouble.
>>
>>319567559
Different anon. Should I kindle every bonfire I encounter or is this a waste of humanatee?
>>
File: 1437629485184.jpg (237 KB, 500x511) Image search: [Google]
1437629485184.jpg
237 KB, 500x511
>>319580919
>DS2
>Bellfry Luna
>"Oh hey its a clone of the Bell Gargoyles! This'll be fun!"
>"haha oh hey there's the 2nd one, popping out right on schedule."
>"oh a 3rd one, that's new. No problem though, I've almost got the first 2 taken care of"
>"well there's a 4th, no biggie since the first 3 are aallllmost dead"
>"Okay here comes a 5th, surely that's all-"
>"GOD DAMMIT"
>>
>>319580919
It's the opposite for me.
>lock onto a dog
>it jumps from one end of room to the other
>camera spins wildly
>get fucked while trying to figure out where anything is
>>
>>319581091
Only kindle when you need to, i.e. when you hit a boss where 5 estus just isn't cutting it.
There's only so much humanity out there that isn't inside of rats so you wanna use it sparingly.
>>
>>319572837
You're probably better of blocking than rolling in DaS2. The hitboxes are shit, and your iframes are gimped more than fat rolling in DaS unless you dump points into unfucking your shit.

Also, don't expect to parry/backstab anymore. You could get through DaS by just baiting an attack and backstabbing, or straight up parrying, but it won't work so well in DaS2.
>>
>>319581091
only if you are having trouble with an area.
>>
>>319581234
>>lock onto

Stop stop stop. You don't need to lock on in Souls games. Locking on can cause this:

>camera spins wildly
>get fucked while trying to figure out where anything is

Get used to playing without it.
>>
>>319580404
That fucking horse which was supposed to be a unique entity appearing again in the castle, on top of stairs, in a big ball room :|

Syan Knights and royal soldiers appearing early game thus fucking up the feeling of enemy variety for the later stages of the game

Desert sorceresses in the castle armory because...?

Shaded Woods fog spirits appearing OUTSIDE of the fog. Actually being able to see the fog spirits with an item. What the fuck...:|

Dragon appearing in Heide's tower thus fucking up a boss and an enemy type for later in the game.
[/spoilers]

I'm sure there is more i am forgetting.

What SOFTS did right was use more of the underused en enemies (you know the ones) and add some cool things to later areas, talking mainly of Dragon Shrine and Undead Crypt here
>>
>>319580919
Well yeah, but the thing is the dogs are so vastly unpredictable you will never be able to get a decent success rate against them, it all comes down to luck. Capra himself is probably the glassiest boss in the game.
The gargoyles can be a struggle I guess but I have soloed them, a lot of it feels like just running away waiting for one of them to fall behind. Apart from those two everything up to Biggie Smalls is simple, unless you take the shortcut to Quelaag in which case you'll be underlevelled as fuck and the fight takes so long you might waste all your estus.
>>
>>319581724
>Actually being able to see the fog spirits with an item.
I never knew about that, but it makes sense. The Eye of the Priestess revealed other hidden enemies, after all.
>>
>>319582090
It makes sense but it just ruins what used to be one of the coolest enemies in the series. I guess by that time they are already ruined since you've seen them walking outside the fog.

That's so dumb...
>>
>>319582561
The item is also in a DLC only accessible after the area. So it's like a reward for returning. Things get a bit easier, beyond just your stats.
>>
>>319581292
>>319581580
Thanks, sunbros.
>>
just get the drake sword and game is pretty ez, just somewhat confusing
>>
>>319565140
go with the master key as starting gift
>>
File: 632.jpg (506 KB, 746x800) Image search: [Google]
632.jpg
506 KB, 746x800
>>
>>319583140
The real version of this has way too much info. This is better.
>>
>>319578146
You're welcome.
>>
>>319580919
Opposite for me senpai, I can get through the Gargoyles no problem but Capra always takes a try or two
>>
File: 1415770359577.jpg (513 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1415770359577.jpg
513 KB, 1920x1080
>>319569787
You can get to Solaire without killing Taurus Demon. If you have Master Key go down to New Londo and open up the shortcut to Valley of Drakes, then go all the way to the bridge and head up the elevator. You should end up next to where the Grass Crest Shield is. Head up to Andre and back through Parish. When you get to the Sunlight Altar gate, head down the ladder near the rats and go under the bridge. Head up the stairs and walk to where Solaire is. Taurus is completely optional when you have Master Key.
>>
Another shitter here, have gotten to the Capra Demon and the Bell Gargoyle. Haven't tried summoning yet, but they both destroy me. I can't even get to the stairs before being killed by the Capra demon. I'm level 19 and have been using the Halberd. Any advice which direction I should go?
>>
>>319583896
Why fucking bother.
>>
>>319584065
There's really nowhere else for you to go right now. You could head to Darkroot Forest near the Parish and get the Wolf Ring for extra poise if you keep getting staggered by their attacks.
>>
>>319584065
The halberd is not a good weapon. Slow, bad scaling and bad moveset. I'd recommend finding a different weapon.
>>
>>319584065
Unless you're lost and don't know where to go next (in that case, explore), the answer is to git gud.

Maybe you need to upgrade your weapon? And two-hand it when attacking.
>>
>>319584205
You shouldn't. That method is purely if you feel like skipping Taurus but still getting Solaire. It's much better to go through Undead Burg and kill Taurus for some souls. There's actually a lot of different alternative ways to get to places in the early game, but most include skips that shouldn't be possible like the Lower Burg skip.
>>
>>319584065
If you haven't already, upgrade your weapon to +5. Those dogs should die with a single hit. Once they're gone you shouldn't have any problems facing the Capra Demon.
>>
Technically Bell Gargoyle is the natural progression after Taurus Demon. It won't lead to another area (though it's a mandatory boss) but it will at least get you stronger for Capra Demon.

If you are having trouble with the Gargoyle then Lightning resins should make short work of it. You should have some from the burg. Gargoyle isn't that hard, remember you can block it's attacks.

Also, cut it's tail.
>>
>>319584065
Ignore this blatant fucking ignorance

>>319584298
>>
>>319584562
Why, its weapon is a piece of shit
>>
>>319572837
Don't play it. Dark Souls 2 is an abomination
>>
>>319584698
Yeah, the halberd is so good for hitting walls instead of the enemy.
Sure showed me.
>>
>>319584861
Wew lads. It took three and a half hours but we finally got a memelord's attention. Is this a new record?
>>
>>319565140
Go human and summon if you have trouble on a boss. No shame in getting some help to beat a boss if you start to get too frustrated
>>
>>319584905
The halberd doesn't hit the walls, you hit the walls, with the halberd.

It even has the perfect moveset for not hitting walls. What the fuck are you doing pham?
>>
>>319585097
>No shame in
Eh.
You're only cheating yourself if you decide not to learn how to beat the boss.
>>
>>319571287
>Don't open it
Played this game lots of times, but what are you referring to?

Lautrec?
>>
>>319566109
This guy is pro
Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.